Undying Hope

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 112 total)
  • Author
    Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

Of what can we be certain, on what can we place our “undying hope”?

Truth.  Truth is inconcussible.

118:3.3  Truth is inconcussible — forever exempt from all transient vicissitudes, albeit never dead and formal, always vibrant and adaptable — radiantly alive.

Mara
    Mara
    Participant

What is the difference between “hoping” and “wishing”?

I got envelope #1 and I said the difference (to me) was that “wishing” is like a christmas wish or a birthday wish list in the sense that I want something someone can provide or do for me.  I said I thought “hoping” was a soul thing, that it was inside (pointing to my heart).  I told the group about something I recently heard about that phrase about the door: knock and it shall be opened, seek and you shall find.  The person who told me this pointed out that the door-knob of that door is on the inside.  The door has to be opened from the inside.  I said I thought hope had to do with faith, because faith encompasses all that we cannot see or know, and yet we know of a certainty that overarching goodness prevails to those who love God.

starvision
    Participant

Reacting to the question: Hoping or Wishing.

Hoping is always hanging by a thread.  Wishing at least has some power behind it.  However, both would penetrate the void with a shot of faith.  I think the idea of undying hope pertains to that part of you that does have faith.  It won’t give up what it struggles to find because it’s faith musters eternal excitement :)

Mara
    Mara
    Participant

Welcome to the forum starvision.

Here is a correlating reference, one of the inevitabilities, from the Urantia Book:

3:5.8   3. Is hope — the grandeur of trust — desirable? Then human existence must constantly be confronted with insecurities and recurrent uncertainties.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

What do we gain by living in an insecure and uncertain world?

Wouldn’t the obvious answer be TRUST?  Isn’t the goal to eventually realize that “In liaison with God, nothing—absolutely nothing—is impossible.” (26:5.3)?  If that’s the goal, the only way I know of getting there is faith-trust in the person who transcends all the insecurities and uncertainties of this world, and the next, and the next after that.

Why is it important to gain trust?  That’s the real question, I think.

39:5.7-9 The Spirits of Trust. Suspicion is the inherent reaction of primitive men; the survival struggles of the early ages do not naturally breed trust. Trust is a new human acquisition brought about by the ministry of these planetary seraphim of the Adamic regime. It is their mission to inculcate trust into the minds of evolving men. The Gods are very trustful; the Universal Father is willing freely to trust himself–the Adjuster–to man’s association.

This entire group of seraphim was transferred to the new regime after the Adamic miscarriage, and they have ever since continued their labors on Urantia. And they have not been wholly unsuccessful since a civilization is now evolving which embodies much of their ideals of confidence and trust.

In the more advanced planetary ages these seraphim enhance man’s appreciation of the truth that uncertainty is the secret of contented continuity. They help the mortal philosophers to realize that, when ignorance is essential to success, it would be a colossal blunder for the creature to know the future. They heighten man’s taste for the sweetness of uncertainty, for the romance and charm of the indefinite and unknown future.

Perhaps those folks who rail against insecurity and uncertainty are missing romance and charm?

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

Have you ever wondered why TUB defines hope as the grandeur of trust?  I think it’s because of the presence of the Adjuster that we are able to hope at all.  We believe in a God who fosters our survival because he is somehow able to register in our experience hope, trust and personal assurance. All of our potential is presented to us by the Adjuster as we are proved capable, or trustworthy.  Hope has to do with potentials – all that is possible for each of us and all of us into eternity.

101:2.5 1. Human experience, personal assurance, the somehow registered hope and trust initiated by the indwelling Thought Adjuster.

The Adjuster is the hope of our divine character and a prisoner of undying hope living within us .  This is where the charm and romance come in, I believe.  What great treasures lie within us just waiting to become actuated! They do tell us that so few draw upon the all the personality credits available to them.

108:6.4 The Adjuster is the wellspring of spiritual attainment and the hope of divine character within you.

108:6.7The Monitors are the prisoners of undying hope, the founts of everlasting progression.

48:7.6 4. Few mortals ever dare to draw anything like the sum of personality credits established by the combined ministries of nature and grace. The majority of impoverished souls are truly rich, but they refuse to believe it.

One wonders, what exactly are personality credits?

Mara
    Mara
    Participant

One wonders, what exactly are personality credits?

One would need to comprehend what is personality to infer what personality credits are.

Do you think the changelessness of personality in light of the source of personality confers credits already in the bank which credits are drawn upon the more one achieves personality unification, starting out on one’s natal sphere and ascending to seventh stage finaliters?

But down here on earth we just don’t believe we have such an amazing potential.

Van Amadon
    Van Amadon
    Participant

But down here on earth we just don’t believe we have such an amazing potential.

I do.

In fact I’m having this potential for breakfast this morning like I do every morning.  :-)

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

They do give us a hint by saying that personality credits are “. . . established by the combined ministries of nature and grace . . .”.

What do you think are the ministries of nature and grace in regards to personality?

P.S. Mara, if you think this is off topic just say so.

Gene
    Participant

Using Webster – I would define the use of the term “nature” in regard to how the personality behaves in response to the various ministries available and “grace” as divine assistance that is available for the taking.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

In the same vein, using the dictionary that is, the meaning of credit is the ability to obtain something based on trust of future payment.  I think God, the Adjuster, gives us everything necessary before we actually utilize it trusting that we will eventually make a payment . . .  realize that we can’t take so much without giving back . . . the economy of the universe, the great circle of love . . . being loved and loving others.

Gene
    Participant

Here’s a good one: from paper 28

mercy credit or personality credit, they (the process)  seems analogous to me

2. The Memory of Mercy. These are the actual, full and replete, living records of the mercy which has been extended to individuals and races by the tender ministrations of the instrumentalities of the Infinite Spirit in the mission of adapting the justice of righteousness to the status of the realms, as disclosed by the portrayals of the Significance of Origins. The Memory of Mercy discloses the moral debt of the children of mercy—their spiritual liabilities—to be set down against their assets of the saving provision established by the Sons of God. In revealing the Father’s pre-existent mercy, the Sons of God establish the necessary credit to insure the survival of all. And then, in accordance with the findings of the Significance of Origins, a mercy credit is established for the survival of each rational creature, a credit of lavish proportions and one of suf- ficient grace to insure the survival of every soul who really desires divine citizen-

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

I personally don’t think mercy credits and personality credits are the same thing, but I do think they’re related.  In other words, we’re given all the potential we need with personality credits, then mercy credits are used up, or doled out according to how we go about utilizing or actualizing our precious gift of potential.  The important thing here, I think, is that it’s all a very generous gift!

To tie this into undying hope: If the Adjuster is our source of undying hope and also the source of our potential nature, then these two things must be intimately involved with one another.  If the nature of our personality is to grow by grace and the Adjuster is the source of that nature, as well as grace and hope, then hope must be tied to personality realization (personality becoming more real).  Hope is a faith-trust in his guidance to that goal, and that goal is the very thing our souls ceaselessly strive for . . . hunger and thirst for.

Mara
    Mara
    Participant

To tie this into undying hope:. . . .

Nicely put Bonita.

They define hope in terms of the grandeur of trust.  It isn’t just any ‘ol trust, as in the expression “I trust you as far as I can throw you”. What do they mean by “grandeur” as it qualifies the word trust? The grandeur of possibilities?

Fusion with a fragment of the Universal Father is equivalent to a divine validation of eventual Paradise attainment, and such Adjuster-fused mortals are the only class of human beings who all traverse the Havona circuits and find God on Paradise. To the Adjuster-fused mortal the career of universal service is wide open. What dignity of destiny and glory of attainment await every one of you! Do you fully appreciate what has been done for you? Do you comprehend the grandeur of the heights of eternal achievement which are spread out before you? — even you who now trudge on in the lowly path of life through your so-called “vale of tears”?

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

I think grandeur means high ranking.  What’s the highest rank when it comes to trust?  I think Jesus showed us what that is, “. . . the attainment of a final and complete attunement of the mortal will with the will of God as it is resident in the Thought Adjuster.” (110:7.1)

If the Adjuster IS our undying hope, then grandeur of trust must be attunement to his will.  It’s about trusting God’s will over your own, and that’s what gives you hope . . . hope that there is always a better way; that your mistakes can be improved upon; that there is always an opportunity for growth and progress; that there’s always a higher stairway to climb. It’s all part of the charm and romance of living as a faith-son in this universe.  Participation of sonship is through faith and by grace . . . all of which are gifts . . . credits . . . not to mention the gifts of personality, Adjuster, Spirit of Truth and Holy Spirit, among others.  So many gifts!

p1621:2 144:4.3 In all praying, remember that sonship is a gift. No child has aught to do with earning the status of son or daughter. The earth child comes into being by the will of its parents. Even so, the child of God comes into grace and the new life of the spirit by the will of the Father in heaven. Therefore must the kingdom of heaven—divine sonship—be received as by a little child. You earn righteousness—progressive character development—but you receive sonship by grace and through faith.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 112 total)

Login to reply to this topic.

Not registered? Sign up here.