Tried to explain

Home Forums Urantia Book General Discussions Tried to explain

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Gene
    Participant

I guess that was a not so clever way of saying I don’t have an answer, I’ll likely be thinking about it for a long time.

difficulties with both.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

It might be helpful while you’re thinking to remember that truth is not learned. Facts are learned.  Truth is experienced.

If you try to teach truth like you teach facts, you will fail 100% of the time.  You have to live truth in order for it to become a source of enlightenment to others.  It is, after all, called living truth.  And incidentally, if you have experienced truth, there is absolutely no way you won’t live it unless you’re siding with Lucifer and his minions by obstructing the Spirit of Truth.  So, in just a few words,  truth gets “taught” automatically, (really shared), once it is experienced within the soul. And, it is “taught” by the Spirit of Truth, who does his own work in directing the loving contact with all levels of reality including personality reality.  The fruits of the spirit are not just hanging out there to dry up in the sun.

Gene
    Participant

It might be helpful while you’re thinking to remember that truth is not learned. Facts are learned. Truth is experienced. If you try to teach truth like you teach facts, you will fail 100% of the time. You have to live truth in order for it to become a source of enlightenment to others. It is, after all, called living truth. And incidentally, if you have experienced truth, there is absolutely no way you won’t live it unless you’re siding with Lucifer and his minions by obstructing the Spirit of Truth. So, in just a few words, truth gets “taught” automatically, (really shared), once it is experienced within the soul. And, it is “taught” by the Spirit of Truth, who does his own work in directing the loving contact with all levels of reality including personality reality. The fruits of the spirit are not just hanging out there to dry up in the sun.

very good points to remember Bonita. I do know for certain that I am not siding with the lucifer minions.

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

Glad we got to this point…we cannot teach truth.  We may only discover, discern, respond, and utilize it…and share those fruits which are derived thereby.  The religion of Jesus must be lived and self chosen – exemplified by its living!  The teacher of truth:

194:3.11 (2064.3) Pentecost, with its spiritual endowment, was designed forever to loose the religion of the Master from all dependence upon physical force; the teachers of this new religion are now equipped with spiritual weapons. They are to go out to conquer the world with unfailing forgiveness, matchless good will, and abounding love. They are equipped to overcome evil with good, to vanquish hate by love, to destroy fear with a courageous and living faith in truth. Jesus had already taught his followers that his religion was never passive; always were his disciples to be active and positive in their ministry of mercy and in their manifestations of love. No longer did these believers look upon Yahweh as “the Lord of Hosts.” They now regarded the eternal Deity as the “God and Father of the Lord Jesus Christ.” They made that progress, at least, even if they did in some measure fail fully to grasp the truth that God is also the spiritual Father of every individual.
    194:3.12 (2064.4) Pentecost endowed mortal man with the power to forgive personal injuries, to keep sweet in the midst of the gravest injustice, to remain unmoved in the face of appalling danger, and to challenge the evils of hate and anger by the fearless acts of love and forbearance. Urantia has passed through the ravages of great and destructive wars in its history. All participants in these terrible struggles met with defeat. There was but one victor; there was only one who came out of these embittered struggles with an enhanced reputation — that was Jesus of Nazareth and his gospel of overcoming evil with good. The secret of a better civilization is bound up in the Master’s teachings of the brotherhood of man, the good will of love and mutual trust.
    194:3.13 (2065.1) Up to Pentecost, religion had revealed only man seeking for God; since Pentecost, man is still searching for God, but there shines out over the world the spectacle of God also seeking for man and sending his spirit to dwell within him when he has found him.

194:3.17 (2065.5) Pentecost was the call to spiritual unity among gospel believers. When the spirit descended on the disciples at Jerusalem, the same thing happened in Philadelphia, Alexandria, and at all other places where true believers dwelt. It was literally true that “there was but one heart and soul among the multitude of the believers.” The religion of Jesus is the most powerful unifying influence the world has ever known.
    194:3.18 (2065.6) Pentecost was designed to lessen the self-assertiveness of individuals, groups, nations, and races. It is this spirit of self-assertiveness which so increases in tension that it periodically breaks loose in destructive wars. Mankind can be unified only by the spiritual approach, and the Spirit of Truth is a world influence which is universal.
    194:3.19 (2065.7) The coming of the Spirit of Truth purifies the human heart and leads the recipient to formulate a life purpose single to the will of God and the welfare of men. The material spirit of selfishness has been swallowed up in this new spiritual bestowal of selflessness. Pentecost, then and now, signifies that the Jesus of history has become the divine Son of living experience. The joy of this outpoured spirit, when it is consciously experienced in human life, is a tonic for health, a stimulus for mind, and an unfailing energy for the soul.

= )   Bradly

Gene
    Participant

I do know this: if ever I had an opportunity to talk about a TUB concept that is new, or not covered in the Bible, I need to wear my flame suit.

no talent for such a thing exists in me.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant
    Bradly wrote: We may only discover, discern, respond, and utilize it

Which is why they say in regards to spiritual insight all we can do is discover, recognize, interpret and choose.  Spiritual insight is insight into the soul where truth lives.

p2094:9 196:3.10 The human mind does not create real values; human experience does not yield universe insight. Concerning insight, the recognition of moral values and the discernment of spiritual meanings, all that the human mind can do is to discover, recognize, interpret, and choose.

Bradly wrote: The religion of Jesus must be lived and self chosen – exemplified by its living!  The teacher of truth:
    And in regards to religion, it is not learned either.  True religion is a living truth and must be experienced.

100:1.7 Religion cannot be bestowed, received, loaned, learned, or lost. It is a personal experience which grows proportionally to the growing quest for final values. Cosmic growth thus attends on the accumulation of meanings and the ever-expanding elevation of values. But nobility itself is always an unconscious growth.

You can’t teach true religion.  Trying to teach religion is really teaching facts, facts you have allowed to rise to the level of personal belief.  You’re merely teaching your personal psychic organization of facts that you’ve transformed into your own personal belief system.  Don’t forget how TUB defines psychology:

p1135:3  103:6.1  Theology is the study of the actions and reactions of the human spirit; it can never become a science since it must always be combined more or less with psychology in its personal expression and with philosophy in its systematic portrayal. Theology is always the study of your religion; the study of another’s religion is psychology.

Jesus did not teach religion. He taught a living gospel: the fatherhood of God and the brotherhood of man.  He revealed his Father as a personal Father of all.

195:10.21   The hope of modern Christianity is that it should cease to sponsor the social systems and industrial policies of Western civilization while it humbly bows itself before the cross it so valiantly extols, there to learn anew from Jesus of Nazareth the greatest truths mortal man can ever hear—the living gospel of the fatherhood of God and the brotherhood of man. 

142:7.4 Jesus said: “The people of another age will better understand the gospel of the kingdom when it is presented in terms expressive of the family relationship — when man understands religion as the teaching of the fatherhood of God and the brotherhood of man, sonship with God.”

140:4.7  Religion is valid only when it reveals the fatherhood of God and enhances the brotherhood of men.

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

Gene says above: “I do know this: if ever I had an opportunity to talk about a TUB concept that is new, or not covered in the Bible, I need to wear my flame suit. no talent for such a thing exists in me.”

Ahhhhh….but there is so much in the Bible that is true or comes from fact and universe reality to stoke such wonderful conversations with our Bible based believer friends!

The non-beginning of eternity, the infinite power and knowledge of God, the eternal adventure destiny potential, the assurances of our safety and God’s love in all trials and tribulations, the power of love and its source/origin, the Spirit within, the personal relationship with God, the Golden Rule, the Two Commandments, the Parables, and the karmic results of the OT for forsaking the Spirit, to name but a few.

The strategies employed for such discussions of shared/in-common teachings from 2000-4000 years ago are the issue, not a lack of topics for sharing and exploring.  Leading with questions and following up with more questions might lead to many such conversations.  Simply try coaxing the Spirit to speak through both minds is a good start.  After all, its not about being persuasive or convincing…right?  = )

Gene
    Participant

Right

sharing must be important otherwise I would not feel the need to do it.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

Login to reply to this topic.

Not registered? Sign up here.