Three parent embryos… how does that line up with TUB?

Home Forums Urantia Book General Discussions Three parent embryos… how does that line up with TUB?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Brooklyn_born
    Brooklyn_born
    Participant

The technology is here… was wondering if this plays any role in TUB. I know mother and father parenthood reflects the Michael and Creative spirit relationship. I think the comparison is mentioned in TUB.

http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/uk-quietly-opens-the-door-to-genetic-engineering-3-parent-embryos

BB

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

An unfortunate and misleading title.  The story says this is a two parent process with only genetic material added to their result.  It makes me think of Adamic infusion though.  And I do think there are beings in the local universe with 3 “parents”.  Have to look that one up.  Let me know when science can get beyond one egg and one sperm from two paternal donors though.  The article does open the door to considerable potential for genetic repair and bio upliftment I think.  And we are told in text, only science and self selection may now uplift our bio/genetics for the future.  Could this be a step in such a direction?  I’m not nearly educated enough to speculate.

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

From the article:

“Altering the mDNA of an embryo is what cloning scientists refer to as “germline” alteration, meaning that the changes will be carried on through the altered embryo’s own offspring, a longstanding goal of eugenicists.

In their 1999 book, “Human Molecular Genetics” Tom Strachan and Andrew Read warned that the use of mitochondrial alteration of embryos would cross serious ethical boundaries.

Having argued that germline therapy would be “pointless” from a therapeutic standpoint, the authors said, “There are serious concerns, therefore, that a hidden motive for germline gene therapy is to enable research to be done on germline manipulation with the ultimate aim of germline-based genetic enhancement.”

“The latter could result in positive eugenics programs, whereby planned genetic modification of the germline could involve artificial selection for genes that are thought to confer advantageous traits.”

Me here: Enter…the science of eugenics!! And its political/ethical nightmare cousins.

Brooklyn_born
    Brooklyn_born
    Participant

Very exciting and scary times we live in my friend. Thanks for your input, as usual  :good:

BB

nelsong
    Participant

Very exciting and scary times we live in.

Ill second that.

It just does not register as the correct approach or beginning to fixing genetic problems and this is mainly because of my mistrust of the industry. What is their motive? Is it truly altruistic?

It would be more productive for families to decide to adopt rather than risk bringing a child into the world when the couple knows that there is a genetic disorder in their family line. Self imposed racial improvement makes more sense than the scientific approach – at least right now in these exciting and scary times.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Login to reply to this topic.

Not registered? Sign up here.