Thought Adjuster, Changer and Controller…

Home Forums Urantia Book General Discussions Thought Adjuster, Changer and Controller…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Brooklyn_born
    Brooklyn_born
    Participant

I was reading the below reference and got to wondering, if I am over 40 years of age, technically, my indwelling Father fragment, on universe record, is designated ‘Thought Controller’  (TC).  I did a search on TC and could find only one reference to it. Not much information can be gleaned from one reference unfortunately.

7 On the evolutionary worlds, will creatures traverse three general developmental stages of being: From the arrival of the Adjuster to comparative full growth,  about twenty years of age on Urantia, the Monitors are sometimes designated Thought Changers. From this time to the attainment of the age of discretion, about forty years, the Mystery Monitors are called Thought Adjusters. From the attainment of discretion to deliverance from the flesh, they are often referred to as Thought Controllers. These three phases of mortal life have no connection with the three stages of Adjuster progress in mind duplication and soul evolution.

BB

Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant
    Brooklyn_born
    Brooklyn_born
    Participant

Not much information can be gleaned from one reference unfortunately.

Good point BB, But the whole of the six Papers on Adjusters, taken as a whole, made it clearer for me:
    Paper 107 – Origin and Nature of Thought Adjusters
    Paper 108 – Mission and Ministry of Thought Adjusters
    Paper 109 – Relation of Adjusters to Universe Creatures
    Paper 110 – Relation of Adjusters to Individual Mortals
    Paper 111 – The Adjuster and The Soul
    Paper 112 – Personality Survival

Thanks, Rick. I will be reading those papers.

BB

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

Hey BB!  I don’t think though that it is the Adjuster which changes in these three phases, but rather, this text recognizes how we change and our mind changes or perception of reality are changed by experiences.  The effect of the Adjuster’s ministry changes more than the form or content of their ministry changes.  Interesting.  They enter the mind of a child.  The child grows in awareness of self and others – the age of cognition.  But the earliest wisdom comes later by the result of choice experience…the age of discernment.  Not all minds actually become cognizant nor discerning however which must really frustrate the Adjusters.  The childish, egotistic, and fearful mind is not fertile soil for such soul building as is possible with a more mature, stable, balanced, harmonized mind that truly discerns truth, beauty, and goodness.  The authors seem to really like Mystery Moniters as they don’t really seem to know how TAs work their influence in a mind of free will and so little knowledge as our own.  Some text to consider:

(1191.6) 108:5.5 The Mystery Monitors are not thought helpers; they are thought adjusters. They labor with the material mind for the purpose of constructing, by adjustment and spiritualization, a new mind for the new worlds and the new name of your future career. Their mission chiefly concerns the future life, not this life. They are called heavenly helpers, not earthly helpers. They are not interested in making the mortal career easy; rather are they concerned in making your life reasonably difficult and rugged, so that decisions will be stimulated and multiplied. The presence of a great Thought Adjuster does not bestow ease of living and freedom from strenuous thinking, but such a divine gift should confer a sublime peace of mind and a superb tranquillity of spirit.

(1192.1) 108:5.6 Your transient and ever-changing emotions of joy and sorrow are in the main purely human and material reactions to your internal psychic climate and to your external material environment. Do not, therefore, look to the Adjuster for selfish consolation and mortal comfort. It is the business of the Adjuster to prepare you for the eternal adventure, to assure your survival. It is not the mission of the Mystery Monitor to smooth your ruffled feelings or to minister to your injured pride; it is the preparation of your soul for the long ascending career that engages the attention and occupies the time of the Adjuster.

(1192.2) 108:5.7 I doubt that I am able to explain to you just what the Adjusters do in your minds and for your souls. I do not know that I am fully cognizant of what is really going on in the cosmic association of a divine Monitor and a human mind. It is all somewhat of a mystery to us, not as to the plan and purpose but as to the actual mode of accomplishment. And this is just why we are confronted with such difficulty in finding an appropriate name for these supernal gifts to mortal men.

(1192.3) 108:5.8 The Thought Adjusters would like to change your feelings of fear to convictions of love and confidence; but they cannot mechanically and arbitrarily do such things; that is your task. In executing those decisions which deliver you from the fetters of fear, you literally supply the psychic fulcrum on which the Adjuster may subsequently apply a spiritual lever of uplifting and advancing illumination.

Anonymous
    Inactive

(1191.6) 108:5.5 The Mystery Monitors are not thought helpers; they are thought adjusters. They labor with the material mind for the purpose of constructing, by adjustment and spiritualization, a new mind for the new worlds and the new name of your future career. Their mission chiefly concerns the future life, not this life. They are called heavenly helpers, not earthly helpers. They are not interested in making the mortal career easy; rather are they concerned in making your life reasonably difficult and rugged, so that decisions will be stimulated and multiplied. The presence of a great Thought Adjuster does not bestow ease of living and freedom from strenuous thinking, but such a divine gift should confer a sublime peace of mind and a superb tranquillity of spirit.

Regardless of what you wish to call the Thought Adjuster, it is part of yourself, which can intercede with decision making however, it still amazes me that so many readers do not pay attention to their own thoughts enough to acquire an understanding of what can be adjusted, and why and when an adjustment might be needed.  As Bradly has also mentioned and noted, that it would seem that those narrating some of these Urantia Book entries are not able to truly understand what and how the Thought Adjuster can effect someone, even to the degree that each individual may have progressed to different levels where this type of intervention can differ one to another, therefore it would seem that instead of validating specific quotes if might be more beneficial to post specific experiences which just might assimilate an adjustment or an interaction with others who just may be aware of various altered states of minds.  So, with this in mind I will present a true encounter which is meant to share an experience which was interactive and might not have been possible without the intervention with Thought Adjusters where it is somewhat understood that Thought Adjusters can communicate with each other and if there are personalities which have progressed beyond a specific point may be able to understand this interaction.

It was about two years ago when I was summoned for Jury Duty in a Capital Trial which was stated in the highest charge of many presented as First Degree Attempted Murder, although the District Attorney saw it necessary to add three additional lesser charges in order to, hopefully secure one of these chargers in order to acquire a conviction, at least this was my opinion from the reading of the charges.  As it turned out I was not one of the first 14 to fill the jurors chairs for cross examination by the prosecution and the defense for the purposes of selecting a jury.  However, it was stated to the remainder of the prospective jurors to make note of the questions and the procedure because we all would be going through this process and that for the sake of time, repetition would not be forthcoming.  Nevertheless, I noted that the Defense Attorney was being aided by an individual who is often hired to evaluate prospective jurors because they have acquired the ability to choose or reject individuals based on their insight into personalities which may side favorably to the case being presented.  Along with the Defendant these three were huddled together at various times for what ever reason as the questioning continued.  As it turned out, from the first group of individuals only three persons were chosen for duty, but as this process was going on I was mentally making my own evaluations of whether these various individuals would or would not make affective jurors for the defense’s case, where it was obvious that some where responding to questions which might indicate that they wanted on the jury and some did not, where one person was a Hasidic Jew, who through his religious beliefs, would not be able to even make a decision one way or another.  As these proceedings were going on, I would be verbalizing to myself these various reasons in my mind and making various choices or rejections based on my own opinion, just something to pass the time, and also get an understanding of what I might expect, when it came to being my turn on stage, so to speck.

Things went on relatively well until the first group was finished and the remainder of use where allowed to take a brake before continuing in the outer hallway.  This is where many individuals grouped together and were sitting on benches provided, waiting for the next session, where I located myself away from the majority of the group far down the hallway, finding a bench to relax in solitude.  But, I noticed that the Defense Attorney and his advisor where in conference at the far end of the hallway and shortly after their conversation which seemed to include looking at the various individuals in the hallway, the Attorneys advisor started to walk around looking at the various people, working his way down the hallway toward me.  For some reason I was aware of being singled out for some reason and as it turned out, he came down to my bench and sat down next to me and took out his cell phone and was focusing on it but, at that instance I was made aware of his presence and in my mind he asked a question, somewhat unusual from my previous thoughts, where I was asked, “do you want on this jury?” – where I responded, mentally in my mind, “It’s not my call.”  At that moment the advisor got up and left the area.

As it turned out, I was in the next group selected, for examination and we were asked by the judge if any of use had any predetermined thoughts about the case so far, where I raised my hand and said that I was slightly prejudice against the prosecution’s case in that it seemed to weighted against the defense just because of all of the various charges presented, and that I thought that they were going to get the defendant on something regardless of evidence.  Also, the prosecution presented their witness list and I was not sure of whether I know one of the witnesses being used as a Doctor presenting a opinion against the defendant.  Nevertheless, these answers did not eliminate me from the Defenses questions where it seemed like he was focusing on me more so because I had responded to many of the questions in the affirmative, when asked if any of use had members in out family who were mentally handicapped, or if we ever had to ask someone to leave my home because of their actions while in my home, and whether we had been taught how to use a weapon and at what age, where I responded that I was taught to take care and to use weapons when I was about eight years old.  Although I was not selected for jury duty, rightfully so, I became quit familiar with the judge as he would point me out when he would ask specific questions which I would have to respond by raising hand, where he would say, “with the exception of Mr. xyz, and the Defense Attorney seemed to focus on many of my answers and asking for more elaborate answers, where it seemed that he was prepping the remaining prospects in the courtroom to feed them the kind of answers he was looking for and in some ways setting up his case in advance in order to make a better impact with the rest of the prospective jurors, being that I had to notify the court that I was once charged with a similar but found not guilty.

It was interesting though, that as I left the courtroom the prosecuting Attorney had not made eye contact with me as I passed by but, I was a little surprised that the three sitting at attention at the Defense table, gave me an Eye’s left, as I passed by, where I was feeling like I needed to give them a return salute, but made only eye contact in response.

Now, I left out much of the details of this encounter but this was not the first time where I got the feeling of someone asking me a question, where it was only noticeable from my minds prospective, yet it would seem that even though one would assume that this type of experience would put reality into a different light, one could also assume that if Thought Adjusters were able to communicate with one another and if persons were in tone with their Thought Adjusters, that this type of experience would start to make more sense.

Brooklyn_born
    Brooklyn_born
    Participant

Regardless of what you wish to call the Thought Adjuster, it is part of yourself, which can intercede with decision making however, it still amazes me that so many readers do not pay attention to their own thoughts enough to acquire an understanding of what can be adjusted, and why and when an adjustment might be needed. As Bradly has also mentioned and noted, that it would seem that those narrating some of these Urantia Book entries are not able to truly understand what and how the Thought Adjuster can effect someone, even to the degree that each individual may have progressed to different levels where this type of intervention can differ one to another, therefore it would seem that instead of validating specific quotes if might be more beneficial to post specific experiences which just might assimilate an adjustment or an interaction with others who just may be aware of various altered states of minds. So, with this in mind I will present a true encounter which is meant to share an experience which was interactive and might not have been possible without the intervention with Thought Adjusters where it is somewhat understood that Thought Adjusters can communicate with each other and if there are personalities which have progressed beyond a specific point may be able to understand this interaction. It was about two years ago when I was summoned for Jury Duty in a Capital Trial which was stated in the highest charge of many presented as First Degree Attempted Murder, although the District Attorney saw it necessary to add three additional lesser charges in order to, hopefully secure one of these chargers in order to acquire a conviction, at least this was my opinion from the reading of the charges. As it turned out I was not one of the first 14 to fill the jurors chairs for cross examination by the prosecution and the defense for the purposes of selecting a jury. However, it was stated to the remainder of the prospective jurors to make note of the questions and the procedure because we all would be going through this process and that for the sake of time, repetition would not be forthcoming. Nevertheless, I noted that the Defense Attorney was being aided by an individual who is often hired to evaluate prospective jurors because they have acquired the ability to choose or reject individuals based on their insight into personalities which may side favorably to the case being presented. Along with the Defendant these three were huddled together at various times for what ever reason as the questioning continued. As it turned out, from the first group of individuals only three persons were chosen for duty, but as this process was going on I was mentally making my own evaluations of whether these various individuals would or would not make affective jurors for the defense’s case, where it was obvious that some where responding to questions which might indicate that they wanted on the jury and some did not, where one person was a Hasidic Jew, who through his religious beliefs, would not be able to even make a decision one way or another. As these proceedings were going on, I would be verbalizing to myself these various reasons in my mind and making various choices or rejections based on my own opinion, just something to pass the time, and also get an understanding of what I might expect, when it came to being my turn on stage, so to speck. Things went on relatively well until the first group was finished and the remainder of use where allowed to take a brake before continuing in the outer hallway. This is where many individuals grouped together and were sitting on benches provided, waiting for the next session, where I located myself away from the majority of the group far down the hallway, finding a bench to relax in solitude. But, I noticed that the Defense Attorney and his advisor where in conference at the far end of the hallway and shortly after their conversation which seemed to include looking at the various individuals in the hallway, the Attorneys advisor started to walk around looking at the various people, working his way down the hallway toward me. For some reason I was aware of being singled out for some reason and as it turned out, he came down to my bench and sat down next to me and took out his cell phone and was focusing on it but, at that instance I was made aware of his presence and in my mind he asked a question, somewhat unusual from my previous thoughts, where I was asked, “do you want on this jury?” – where I responded, mentally in my mind, “It’s not my call.” At that moment the advisor got up and left the area. As it turned out, I was in the next group selected, for examination and we were asked by the judge if any of use had any predetermined thoughts about the case so far, where I raised my hand and said that I was slightly prejudice against the prosecution’s case in that it seemed to weighted against the defense just because of all of the various charges presented, and that I thought that they were going to get the defendant on something regardless of evidence. Also, the prosecution presented their witness list and I was not sure of whether I know one of the witnesses being used as a Doctor presenting a opinion against the defendant. Nevertheless, these answers did not eliminate me from the Defenses questions where it seemed like he was focusing on me more so because I had responded to many of the questions in the affirmative, when asked if any of use had members in out family who were mentally handicapped, or if we ever had to ask someone to leave my home because of their actions while in my home, and whether we had been taught how to use a weapon and at what age, where I responded that I was taught to take care and to use weapons when I was about eight years old. Although I was not selected for jury duty, rightfully so, I became quit familiar with the judge as he would point me out when he would ask specific questions which I would have to respond by raising hand, where he would say, “with the exception of Mr. xyz, and the Defense Attorney seemed to focus on many of my answers and asking for more elaborate answers, where it seemed that he was prepping the remaining prospects in the courtroom to feed them the kind of answers he was looking for and in some ways setting up his case in advance in order to make a better impact with the rest of the prospective jurors, being that I had to notify the court that I was once charged with a similar but found not guilty. It was interesting though, that as I left the courtroom the prosecuting Attorney had not made eye contact with me as I passed by but, I was a little surprised that the three sitting at attention at the Defense table, gave me an Eye’s left, as I passed by, where I was feeling like I needed to give them a return salute, but made only eye contact in response. Now, I left out much of the details of this encounter but this was not the first time where I got the feeling of someone asking me a question, where it was only noticeable from my minds prospective, yet it would seem that even though one would assume that this type of experience would put reality into a different light, one could also assume that if Thought Adjusters were able to communicate with one another and if persons were in tone with their Thought Adjusters, that this type of experience would start to make more sense.

I have had similar experiences where I am able to know a person’s thoughts and anticipate what the person will do or say without verbal communication. It is almost as if being in-sync or -tuned with that person’s mind. Thanks for sharing your experience, midi.

BB

Brooklyn_born
    Brooklyn_born
    Participant

Hey BB! I don’t think though that it is the Adjuster which changes in these three phases, but rather, this text recognizes how we change and our mind changes or perception of reality are changed by experiences. The effect of the Adjuster’s ministry changes more than the form or content of their ministry changes. Interesting. They enter the mind of a child. The child grows in awareness of self and others – the age of cognition. But the earliest wisdom comes later by the result of choice experience…the age of discernment. Not all minds actually become cognizant nor discerning however which must really frustrate the Adjusters. The childish, egotistic, and fearful mind is not fertile soil for such soul building as is possible with a more mature, stable, balanced, harmonized mind that truly discerns truth, beauty, and goodness. The authors seem to really like Mystery Moniters as they don’t really seem to know how TAs work their influence in a mind of free will and so little knowledge as our own. Some text to consider: (1191.6) 108:5.5 The Mystery Monitors are not thought helpers; they are thought adjusters. They labor with the material mind for the purpose of constructing, by adjustment and spiritualization, a new mind for the new worlds and the new name of your future career. Their mission chiefly concerns the future life, not this life. They are called heavenly helpers, not earthly helpers. They are not interested in making the mortal career easy; rather are they concerned in making your life reasonably difficult and rugged, so that decisions will be stimulated and multiplied. The presence of a great Thought Adjuster does not bestow ease of living and freedom from strenuous thinking, but such a divine gift should confer a sublime peace of mind and a superb tranquillity of spirit. (1192.1) 108:5.6 Your transient and ever-changing emotions of joy and sorrow are in the main purely human and material reactions to your internal psychic climate and to your external material environment. Do not, therefore, look to the Adjuster for selfish consolation and mortal comfort. It is the business of the Adjuster to prepare you for the eternal adventure, to assure your survival. It is not the mission of the Mystery Monitor to smooth your ruffled feelings or to minister to your injured pride; it is the preparation of your soul for the long ascending career that engages the attention and occupies the time of the Adjuster. (1192.2) 108:5.7 I doubt that I am able to explain to you just what the Adjusters do in your minds and for your souls. I do not know that I am fully cognizant of what is really going on in the cosmic association of a divine Monitor and a human mind. It is all somewhat of a mystery to us, not as to the plan and purpose but as to the actual mode of accomplishment. And this is just why we are confronted with such difficulty in finding an appropriate name for these supernal gifts to mortal men. (1192.3) 108:5.8 The Thought Adjusters would like to change your feelings of fear to convictions of love and confidence; but they cannot mechanically and arbitrarily do such things; that is your task. In executing those decisions which deliver you from the fetters of fear, you literally supply the psychic fulcrum on which the Adjuster may subsequently apply a spiritual lever of uplifting and advancing illumination.

So basically its our personality growth that TA designation change reflects?

BB

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

Yes, I think so.  A couple of things to consider: first, we are endowed but once and with but one TA; second, although each TA has a different amount of prior experience in mortal mind (from none to extensive), the TA is not the being of ascension and transformation, the mortal is….until fusion anyway.  So I think the “effect” of TA ministry is being described in a “normal” minded ascender and believer.  These progressions are “normal” but not automatic based on the free will choices made by the mortal mind along the way.  So the TA endowment usually has 3 mortal phases – infancy-encountering consequences of choice, self awareness and awareness of others (cognition and growing discernment skills), and then budding wisdom (experience and perspective).  One of the quotes posted says the TA’s work is focused on the morontia life and not the mortal life…..and I think that means getting us there with sufficient soul content, from flicker to a soul filled with the light of truth, beauty, and goodness for the TA goal of fusion and experiential transcendence to Paradise.  Also note that they are considered as “Controllers” during that phase when the mind should have the wisdom to seek personal alignment with Father and be asking for the Father to control the mind or to Be One – a seeking of God’s will in thought and deed is a sign of maturity – but all TA work is in full submission to mortal free will….always.  They can only control that which we wish, request, and allow.

Brooklyn_born
    Brooklyn_born
    Participant

Yes, I think so. A couple of things to consider: first, we are endowed but once and with but one TA; second, although each TA has a different amount of prior experience in mortal mind (from none to extensive), the TA is not the being of ascension and transformation, the mortal is….until fusion anyway. So I think the “effect” of TA ministry is being described in a “normal” minded ascender and believer. These progressions are “normal” but not automatic based on the free will choices made by the mortal mind along the way. So the TA endowment usually has 3 mortal phases – infancy-encountering consequences of choice, self awareness and awareness of others (cognition and growing discernment skills), and then budding wisdom (experience and perspective). One of the quotes posted says the TA’s work is focused on the morontia life and not the mortal life…..and I think that means getting us there with sufficient soul content, from flicker to a soul filled with the light of truth, beauty, and goodness for the TA goal of fusion and experiential transcendence to Paradise. Also note that they are considered as “Controllers” during that phase when the mind should have the wisdom to seek personal alignment with Father and be asking for the Father to control the mind or to Be One – a seeking of God’s will in thought and deed is a sign of maturity – but all TA work is in full submission to mortal free will….always. The can only control that which we wish, request, and allow.

Understood. Thanks for the explanation.

BB

Mark Kurtz
    Participant

BB,

Rick and Bradly gave you excellent responses.  You may also consider the “age of discretion” mentioned in your selection could involve several years in developing.  You could reasonably assume the term involves increasing maturity.  The time and experiences needed for any individual to mature varies with each one of us.  At age 70, would any person feel he has reached full maturity?  Maybe, but Divinity knows humanity and we all get what we need when we need it, if we cooperate.  Age of discretion is obviously an important achievement, or lets say a sign of growing desire to become a better person.  Wisdom is wonderful and satisfying when we recognize the better way of living, perhaps in spite of large errors in one’s life.

Consider Mary Magdalene who operated a brothel.  Meeting the Master one day she was forgiven and this profound experience changed her life completely.  Who of us can say what experience in another’s life will change persons forever.  The discretion to choose God always remains until we fuse with our TA.

The main point is the amount of time to reach maturity of mortal living.  I think the authors are saying one reaches this age, typically, at 40 because we’ve had many experiences, raised children, will soon or have had grandchildren, and people are comparing.  We compare what we did with what we realize we ought to be doing and discretion then becomes vitally important.  Choose God’s ways or die.  Choose to continue MOVING in the God’s direction.  Choose to become more loving.  Choose to listen more deeply to others, for they have TA’s within also.  Choose to accept spiritual growth.  Choose to put serious effort at spiritual growth.

The age of discretion is moving more sincerely toward God.  It is an age period in which the Mystery Monitors can work more successfully in the mind of a cooperating soul.

Keep reading for greater comprehension of the whole.  It is a nice realization that a divine Spirit can control our thoughts if we choose this option!

Have a great life and Paradise journey!

Brooklyn_born
    Brooklyn_born
    Participant

BB, Rick and Bradly gave you excellent responses. You may also consider the “age of discretion” mentioned in your selection could involve several years in developing. You could reasonably assume the term involves increasing maturity. The time and experiences needed for any individual to mature varies with each one of us. At age 70, would any person feel he has reached full maturity? Maybe, but Divinity knows humanity and we all get what we need when we need it, if we cooperate. Age of discretion is obviously an important achievement, or lets say a sign of growing desire to become a better person. Wisdom is wonderful and satisfying when we recognize the better way of living, perhaps in spite of large errors in one’s life. Consider Mary Magdalene who operated a brothel. Meeting the Master one day she was forgiven and this profound experience changed her life completely. Who of us can say what experience in another’s life will change persons forever. The discretion to choose God always remains until we fuse with our TA. The main point is the amount of time to reach maturity of mortal living. I think the authors are saying one reaches this age, typically, at 40 because we’ve had many experiences, raised children, will soon or have had grandchildren, and people are comparing. We compare what we did with what we realize we ought to be doing and discretion then becomes vitally important. Choose God’s ways or die. Choose to continue MOVING in the God’s direction. Choose to become more loving. Choose to listen more deeply to others, for they have TA’s within also. Choose to accept spiritual growth. Choose to put serious effort at spiritual growth. The age of discretion is moving more sincerely toward God. It is an age period in which the Mystery Monitors can work more successfully in the mind of a cooperating soul. Keep reading for greater comprehension of the whole. It is a nice realization that a divine Spirit can control our thoughts if we choose this option! Have a great life and Paradise journey!

This was a wonderful communication. Thank you for sharing it, Mark. A statement you make that I find profound is, “Choose to listen more deeply to others, for they have TA’s within also.” It reminds me of Paul’s letter to the Hebrews. In it, he tells them, “Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.” I

BB

Mark Kurtz
    Participant

It is a nice to consider Jesus’ comment one day, that we are teaching is friendship with God.  Listening and sharing with one another, between persons who truly want to grow and to learn more of God and relating to Him, is truly a friendly exercise.  As the authors  tell us, we can be more  friendly if we try to understand our fellows with sympathetic understanding.  If God values all persons, we can learn to accept that fact and learn to value one another.

Allowing the Friend of all friends to control our thoughts seems like the right eternal choice!

Thanks for posting this topic!!!

MK

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

Login to reply to this topic.

Not registered? Sign up here.