The URANTIA Movement

Home Forums Urantia Book General Discussions The URANTIA Movement

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

Greetings!! I am starting this topic – The Urantia Movement – to discuss the issue of unity without uniformity or the harmonious pursuit of the dissemination of both the Urantia Book itself and its teachings by individuals, groups, institutions and their relationships, one to another – that aggregation being the “Movement”.

While the Book itself offers many lessons and patterns of this concept – unity without uniformity – it does not provide clear instruction as to how mortals should best achieve this important goal as a group of individuals or groups of groups. It does provide detailed instruction on how best to promote personal spiritual and circle progress and our source, history, and destiny in this friendly and love filled universe, and the natural result of such spirit progress by the individual should result in a more cooperative and harmonious life in all relationships. Even the Master required of his Apostles, John’s Apostles, the disciples, and the corps of believers that they should work out for themselves this critical instruction of group harmony and unity without uniformity. He gave clear example of loving, personal ministry and group ministry organization patterns to learn from, but did not clearly declare any form of organizational management for the movement created by that ministry. He left the “authority” or “keys” of that in evolutionary mortal hands to work out as they might in time to come.

The history of those efforts and failures are well known to all. But the success of our unseen friends who serve to guide our world into ultimate and certain Light and Life cannot be denied. From mortal lemons, celestials make divine lemonade!! There can be no failure or success without mortal effort. All sincere efforts of faith on behalf of another or all others becomes a cause for which there is an inherent effect. The efforts to “move” forward (cause) become the seeds and the material from which our unseen friends may create “progress” for our world (effect). We are told that each mortal life is far too short to witness or appreciate this evolutionary process of planetary, epochal progress – the celestial cause and effect cycle.

This time frame reality too often results in mortal disappointments and impatience to “make a difference” and witness “results” of efforts made. This time-unit perspective error can convince some to lament that nothing is being done or has been done or is bringing change fast enough or to dwell on the mortal mistakes made in the past with regret, or in some cases, even with resentments toward some that did not conform to their own ideals, and become thereby blinded to reality, despite all the obvious evidence of fruit and progress a longer, more patient and trusting perspective might deliver up. The act is ours but the results are God’s. Shall we not trust Him?

As to the Urantia movement….I was born shortly before the UB was published, became a truth seeker in my late teens, found the UB in my early 20’s, and became an activist in the movement in the 70’s. (This only to provide some context to my perspective of the movement’s past and future.) When I say activist, I mean only that I placed many a book in many a store and library, attended several study groups across the land, organized local and regional conferences, attended national and international conferences, served by election on organizational levels as a group representative, and made many friends and knew many servants of this movement over the decades. My view is but one view of this unfolding and growing movement however and I claim no great objectivity or importance of that view.

The history of the movement is well documented and it is not my intent here to represent or recreate it. It is the past. It does offer some interesting lessons for the future and well demonstrates the struggle of mortals to achieve unity without uniformity by many examples of both failure and success. But for the purpose of perspective only, it should be remembered that today’s Movement began with one text in one room with one study group – The Forum…..which lasted decades. Then came Publication and the Forum created 2 institutions or organizations – one for publication and one for dissemination and sharing. And from one hand to another the Revelation was passed and this first gift of the Revelation from one reader to the next was the birth of the Movement. The few decades that followed (and equaled in time frame that of the original Forum prior to publication) was a slow evolutionary process of trial and error, a display of human frailties and noble courage by individual and group efforts to expand readership and dissemination. There were true heroes and tragic characters both, leaving a grand story filled with inspiration and lessons of much gravity to consider for all who come after.

Today?? Well, I cannot even begin to describe what the mustard seed has already transformed itself into in these few brief decades….especially since the arrival of the digital age just a few short years ago. To be disappointed by any “lack” of progress stupefies me frankly. Under what rock have such ones been hiding themselves?? What blinders do they press to their eyes?? What the heck are they looking at?? Such a view is inconceivable to me….except in the black hole of one’s own navel!! There are so many individual and groups ministries and efforts to behold by any cursory investigation that it boggles the imagination as to the potential just before us today. The Urantia Book has over a dozen translations (Mandarin coming soon) and study groups in 30 countries – and far more countries and cultures represented on-line by dozens – if not hundreds – of websites and blogs and radio shows and “stations” – going on 24 hours a day, every single day. There are international conferences around the globe and a readership growth curve that is amazing to behold.

Some are concerned about the lack of unity and harmony today. I am not. I think the harmony between many individuals and groups is strong and strengthening still. There are old resentments which will die out with the holder of such grudges (there are some advantages after all to such brief life spans) and there are also great differences of opinion as to how best to disseminate the Revelation and teach its many facts and truths to others. The result of these differences is great diversity in both audience and approach to audience…..the individual reader. Now, most all students and believers agree that authoritarianism is both unwelcome and impossible. So then, without authoritarianism as an option for unity but, rather, by definition a source of only uniformity – what is the future of this Movement I wonder. I am quite certain of mortal disappointment regardless of the future evolutionary progress but I am absolutely certain of its inevitable result and conclusion – epochal progress in God’s hands.

What say you on the Movement? And on unity without uniformity? Peace.

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

The believers in the “kingdom” are the “stones of the temple” and keepers of the “key”:

(1747.3) 157:4.5 Jesus, still standing, then said to the twelve: “You are my chosen ambassadors, but I know that, in the circumstances, you could not entertain this belief as a result of mere human knowledge. This is a revelation of the spirit of my Father to your inmost souls. And when, therefore, you make this confession by the insight of the spirit of my Father which dwells within you, I am led to declare that upon this foundation will I build the brotherhood of the kingdom of heaven. Upon this rock of spiritual reality will I build the living temple of spiritual fellowship in the eternal realities of my Father’s kingdom. All the forces of evil and the hosts of sin shall not prevail against this human fraternity of the divine spirit. And while my Father’s spirit shall ever be the divine guide and mentor of all who enter the bonds of this spirit fellowship, to you and your successors I now deliver the keys of the outward kingdom — the authority over things temporal — the social and economic features of this association of men and women as fellows of the kingdom.” And again he charged them, for the time being, that they should tell no man that he was the Son of God.

(1747.4) 157:4.6 Jesus was beginning to have faith in the loyalty and integrity of his apostles. The Master conceived that a faith which could stand what his chosen representatives had recently passed through would undoubtedly endure the fiery trials which were just ahead and emerge from the apparent wreckage of all their hopes into the new light of a new dispensation and thereby be able to go forth to enlighten a world sitting in darkness. On this day the Master began to believe in the faith of his apostles, save one.

(1747.5) 157:4.7 And ever since that day this same Jesus has been building that living temple upon that same eternal foundation of his divine sonship, and those who thereby become self-conscious sons of God are the human stones which constitute this living temple of sonship erecting to the glory and honor of the wisdom and love of the eternal Father of spirits.

But we humans are so filled with mortal folly and silly egotisms still:

(1756.3) 158:4.6 As the apostles listened, Simon Zelotes and Judas Iscariot stepped into the presence of the father, saying: “We can heal him; you need not wait for the Master’s return. We are ambassadors of the kingdom; no longer do we hold these things in secret. Jesus is the Deliverer, and the keys of the kingdom have been delivered to us.” By this time Andrew and Thomas were in consultation at one side. Nathaniel and the others looked on in amazement; they were all aghast at the sudden boldness, if not presumption, of Simon and Judas.

Me here:  Aghast indeed!!  We may be the stones and hold the keys but…..we are but tadpoles after all.  May we find the wisdom for diversity in method and unity in purpose.  But Fear Not….God will make good use of all sincerity of the faithful Sons….even mortal ones.

Peace.  ;-)

Mara
    Mara
    Participant

Greetings!! I am starting this topic

I’m still thinking bout this topic. :-)

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant
    Bradly wrote:  May we find the wisdom
    Exactly!  Until we stop judging others with faulty, world-based wisdom, evolution will creep at a snail’s pace.  The evolutionary type of wisdom  doesn’t come quickly.  In the meantime, we should learn to trust God and one another more, then perhaps this revelation will speed us up with a new quality of divine wisdom.

100.6.9  The characteristic difference between evolved and revealed religion is a new quality of divine wisdom which is added to purely experiential human wisdom. But it is experience in and with the human religions that develops the capacity for subsequent reception of increased bestowals of divine wisdom and cosmic insight.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant
    Bradly wrote: . . . what is the future of this Movement I wonder.
    Bradly wrote:  The believers in the “kingdom” are the “stones of the temple” and keepers of the “key”
    So what is this movement anyway?  Are you equating the  word movement with the word kingdom?  Can you do that? The word movement suggests social or political aspirations.  The word kingdom suggests religious or spiritual aspirations. Which one is it, or is it all of the above?  Personally, the word movement irritates me.  It’s a word with intestinal connotations in my mind.  Of course, any robust movement requires intestinal fortitude, but I digress.  Before calling it a movement, don’t you have to establish what you’re moving toward?  Otherwise, it’s like the movement of a clock, just spinning round and round.
    Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

“….pursuit of the dissemination of both the Urantia Book itself and its teachings by individuals, groups, institutions and their relationships, one to another – that aggregation being the “Movement”.

Before calling it a movement, don’t you have to establish what you’re moving toward?  Otherwise, it’s like the movement of a clock, just spinning round and round.

Me:  The “movement” is the mutual goal and related activity of individuals, groups, and groups of groups related to the dissemination of the Revelation, and the fraternal association of the resulting student body of religionists with the UB as a common element to that relationship.  Such socialization of personal religious experience with a common language and dissemination and relationship goal is part of an evolutionary progression, ideally.  The movement is mortal activity which provides opportunity and leverage I think for the celestials charged with social and religious progress on a planetary scale.  We mortals are short term “temps” that provide energy and error for their utilization.  Or something like that!

;-)

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant
    Bradly wrote:The movement is mortal activity which provides opportunity and leverage I think for the celestials charged with social and religious progress on a planetary scale.
    No offense, but I think this is the fatal flaw.  Leave the celestials out of it.  This is a human adventure.  The celestials help us, we don’t help them.  As soon as people start thinking they’re in cahoots with celestials you’ve got a cesspool forming.  What the celestials do to help us is their business.  We should stick to our human business, that’s more than we can handle anyway.
    Mara
    Mara
    Participant

The “movement” is the mutual goal and related activity of individuals, groups, and groups of groups related to the dissemination of the Revelation, and the fraternal association of the resulting student body of religionists with the UB as a common element to that relationship.  Such socialization of personal religious experience with a common language and dissemination and relationship goal is part of an evolutionary progression, ideally.  The movement is mortal activity which provides opportunity and leverage I think for the celestials charged with social and religious progress on a planetary scale.  We mortals are short term “temps”. . . .

Our unseen friends, celestial helpers or whatever you want to call them do try to bring people together to accomplish a particular project.

Social architects do everything within their province and power to bring together suitable individuals that they may constitute efficient and agreeable working groups on earth; and sometimes such groups have found themselves reassociated on the mansion worlds for continued fruitful service. But not always do these seraphim attain their ends; not always are they able to bring together those who would form the most ideal group to achieve a given purpose or to accomplish a certain task; under these conditions they must utilize the best of the material available.
    They assist mortals in other ways too.
    The master seraphim of planetary supervision utilize many agencies for the prosecution of their missions. They function as ideational clearinghouses, mind focalizers, and project promoters. While unable to inject new and higher conceptions into human minds, they often act to intensify some higher ideal which has already appeared within a human intellect.
    On a personal level this admonition of Jesus describes one kind of angelic supervision.
    “Under the soon-coming persecutions by those who hate this gospel of joy and liberty, you will thrive and the kingdom will prosper. But you will stand in grave danger in subsequent times when most men will speak well of kingdom believers and many in high places nominally accept the gospel of the heavenly kingdom. Learn to be faithful to the kingdom even in times of peace and prosperity. Tempt not the angels of your supervision to lead you in troublous ways as a loving discipline designed to save your ease-drifting souls.”
    Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant
    Mara wrote:  Our unseen friends, celestial helpers or whatever you want to call them do try to bring people together to accomplish a particular project.

Yes, but that is none of our business.  No movement should claim to be assisting celestials because there is no way that any movement can be intimate to the details of the celestial’s individual mission.  The only thing people within a movement can do is tirelessly and wholeheartedly try to do God’s will according to their own inner guidance. I think it is safe to say that most of the problems of the Urantia community have arise from individuals claiming to have intimate knowledge of celestials and their doings.  Therefore, the first thing I would do, if I were trying to establish some movement boundaries, is to establish the fact that the best humans can do is to not tempt celestials with their arrogant narcissism, as though the celestials are all sitting around waiting for their particular help.  Such egoism reeks of pride and is destined to doom the individual as well as the group.

People just have to get over the idea that they are part of some big celestial plan to change the world.  The celestials made themselves known to a select committee of individuals a century ago. We don’t know why they chose to do that, or why they chose the people they did any more than we know why Jesus chose to incarnate here and why he chose the apostles and disciples he chose. But there is one thing we know, the celestials are done with the current revelation.  We are now on our own for at least a millennium, maybe more, in terms of what we want to do with it. It’s  not unlike the apostles who were on their own after Jesus’ ascension.  That is not to say that we don’t have continuous celestial help from within and without, because we have a massive amount of help, but no one is privy to the details of it, nor should they be.  The best we can do is make our circles and hopefully develop better contact with our Adjusters, which means trying 24/7 to do God’s will, to work for the kingdom of God and the brotherhood of men.  What else is there?

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

Mara – thank you for those inspiring quotes.  I do sometimes feel some alignment in purpose and power in association with others in common goal and effort.

Bonita – I agree with you completely…and certainly do not mean to suggest that I or any others or any group is in league with or contact with celestials.  Your warnings are but music to the choir here.  My point is that doing nothing about anything does not allow the celestials opportunity for mortal progress I do not think.  Even the errors and the inadequacies of mortal endeavors nevertheless provide some measure of causation….not that mortals can direct it specifically to any predetermined effect.

I fear my vocabulary and writing skills leave much to be desired in this discussion I have begun.  I feel a personal desire to help disseminate this Revelation I have come to believe and love because of the effects it has brought to me and because of its claims of the importance in epochal Revelation to assist in the reduction of error and confusion to mortal mind….not just mine but all others who come to its fountain of truth and fact.  I only mean to define or describe the “Movement” as those who feel similarly and act by that shared motivation.

There was a recent discussion on the beginning of this shared endeavor and there is a history of that which followed and there is, today, many who act in our own ways in support of the availability of the Urantia Book to all and, also, to connect the student “body” in ways of sharing and serving in the continued efforts of further dissemination to the growing student body.  This has been the pattern with every other Epochal Revelation.  I would assume it was the expectation of those who wrote and delivered the FER, that likewise, a “movement” would sprout and grow to express the actual affect of the Revelation in humanity and our planetary progress…..as a function or upon the fulcrum of the personal effects manifested.  If it were not for those before me who believed and acted in this “movement” of dissemination, I would never have found this truthbook.  And my finding was not due to one act by one student, it was the result or culmination of many acts by many students over much time.

I do not limit the “movement” to any particular voice or group of voices, past or present.  And it is apparent to me, as you say, that we’re “on our own now” in our very brief lifetimes to discover truth, live truth, and add that to the aggregate experience and expression of truth.  And do so without any claim of celestial preference or partnership.  The celestials have their ways and means.  I only hoped to suggest that the efforts of mortals are contributory opportunities for those truly in charge of our world to coalesce into something progressive and worthwhile.  Do I serve a book?  Or a community?  Or a cause?  Or my Lord?  I cannot distinguish the distinction with any great clarity.  Is the UB only a book?

The “movement” is not a religion, although some within the movement think there should be one, but, rather to me, it is like minded religionists working together to disseminate a book written FOR religionists.  And that is my concern with any form of authoritarianism, either organizational or by individuals who claim such celestial contact and guidance as you so well decry.  Certainly I do not claim such nor aspire to such and shun all such ones who do so claim such standing and status among us.

Thanks to you both for your thoughtful contributions to the topic.  And the humor Bonita….”intestinal connotations” indeed!!!! :good:

Mara
    Mara
    Participant

An individual reader such as myself cannot possibly know with any degree of certainly about the status of the Urantia movement worldwide.  Personally, I’m glad organizations are established now under good leadership (I hope).  No more funny-stuff.  Seems the organizations are stable and traditions, such as conferences, are becoming established.  This is a good thing.  More people are finding the book.  The Internet is hugely effective in disseminating the word URANTIA, an unusual word, and inquiring minds will find the origin of it, and if interested, people will connect with an organization/s to see where that takes them.  So it grows.  The growth is inevitable.  I cannot imagine a stoppage or a blockage of the growth of the Urantia movement.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Regardless of any movement being presented, it would seem that everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I would share a few of my own, regarding other opinions.

Yes, but that is none of our business.

Bonita, I hope that you actually mean “your” business because by the use of “our” (above) you are including many who may not agree with your statement, such as myself, where it is my business, and who are you to include me in your statement, besides is not our Fathers business our business?

I think it is safe to say that most of the problems of the Urantia community have arise from individuals claiming to have intimate knowledge of celestials and their doings.

If your statement above is your opinion, then that is fine, but it would seem that you have a problem with most of the Urantia community based on a few individuals who claim to have intimate knowledge of celestials, but yet later, below, you indicate “That is not to say that we don’t have continuous celestial help from within and without,” so, if we have celestial help from within, would you be also referring to yourself as well, or do you not consider yourself within the Urantia community?

. . . to establish the fact that the best humans can do is to not tempt celestials with their arrogant narcissism, . . .

How is it that we “arrogant” and narcissistic humans could “tempt celestials”, are they (celestials) that stupid that they could be fooled by a persons characteristics?  Besides if they could be tempted, then they would be no different then ourselves.

Such egoism reeks of pride and is destined to doom the individual as well as the group.

Are we being judgmental, or is this a prediction?  It would seem that your statement is without mercy, therefore it must be judgmental.

People just have to get over the idea that they are part of some big celestial plan to change the world.

Why? Has not the world been changed in the past, so why would anyone think that it cannot be changed again, now, or do you think that the world is just fine the way it is and we don’t need any help?

But there is one thing we know, the celestials are done with the current revelation.

How can you say that for a fact; the revelation has been changing on a daily basis for me; or have you figured out what happened to that “weather changing” quote, where you were sure that you saw it in the revelation, and then I told you that you were not mistaken, that I also remember that quote as you described it.  There are many things which I have read in the revelation which are no longer there, but I still remember them all, or am I moving through different time dimensions and the only way for me to tell where I’ve been is to know where I am, today?

That is not to say that we don’t have continuous celestial help from within and without, because we have a massive amount of help, but no one is privy to the details of it, nor should they be.

By stating that “no one is privy to the details” would mean that you also don’t believe what is written in the Urantia Book? or are your statements and translations of the authors intended context just your absolute opinion?

What else is there?

There is more than the human eyes can see, but the minds eye can show you a whole lot more, if one just opens it.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant
    Bradly wrote:  My point is that doing nothing about anything does not allow the celestials opportunity for mortal progress I do not think.
    But who is doing nothing?  You, yourself, have raved about all the positive progress the UB community has made.  Are you suggesting that people should do something, anything even, just to give celestials opportunities?  Do you think that it is only human action that gives them opportunities for loving service?  You see, I believe that this type of thinking is potentially dangerous, if for no other reason than it fosters guilt in conscientious minds.  It makes people think they are lousy servants if they don’t assist celestials; but in reality, no one knows exactly how to assist celestials because they’re not talking to us and telling us what they want. And what comes next?  People start thinking they are talking to them, in order to assuage their guilt for not knowing how to help them.  It’s a cycle that feeds itself.
    I say, forget about the celestials and worry about doing God’s will.  Do you think trying to do God’s will is doing nothing?  I don’t.  If everyone would just concentrate on doing God’s will and stop worrying about what our “unseen friends” are doing or thinking, then their’s and our lives would be a lot easier and more fruitful.  Sometimes doing something just for the sake of doing something is actually counterproductive.  Sometimes you can actually over-think, over-worry, over-plan and over-do.
    Bradly wrote: . . . because of its claims of the importance in epochal Revelation to assist in the reduction of error and confusion to mortal mind….not just mine but all others who come to its fountain of truth and fact.
    And don’t you worry that human efforts to reduce error in mortal thinking might give birth to orthodoxy?  My opinion is that if each person straightened out his own thinking that more good would come of it than trying to get the whole world to think right by reading the book.  Isn’t that exactly what the Islamic extremists are doing now?  I’m not saying that sharing thoughts is wrong, I’m simply warning against fostering a mindset that could produce an attitude of “one and only one way to think” according to the “Holy Urantia Book”.
    Bradly wrote:  Do I serve a book?  Or a community?  Or a cause?  Or my Lord?  I cannot distinguish the distinction with any great clarity.  Is the UB only a book?
    You serve your Lord, Brad you know this.  The book is just a book.  It is not God.  If all of the UB’s in the entire world disappeared today, you would still have God,  you would still have an Adjuster, and you would still strive to do God’s will because you would still have a soul.
    I’m not writing all of this to pick on you Brad because I think very highly of you and know that your heart is wholly dedicated to seeking the path with the most truth, beauty and goodness in any situation. I know you are a dedicated servant and so does everyone else know that.  I also know that I am talking to the choir here and that you don’t need to read what I wrote.  In truth, I’m writing this stuff for my own benefit, to get it off my chest and to let the world know what I think of these things: that celestials should not be at the center of people’s plans concerning the revelation and that trying to get the whole world to read the book and “think right” is fraught with multiple dangers.
    Mara
    Mara
    Participant
    Regardless of any movement being presented, it would seem that everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I would share a few of my own, regarding other opinions.
    Yup. Everyone gets their say.  Everyone.  I care about the Urantia movement but I am not worried about it.  Jesus has unshakable confidence in man.  He believes in men/women.  (196:1:5) It behooves us to have confidence in each other.  People in the so-called movement are not out to destroy it, even if their interpretations are strange and, in my opinion, wrong-headed.
    Self-assertion was the battle cry of the Lucifer rebellion.  That and self-admiration.  Those parts of the movement won’t succeed imo.   Jesus wasn’t quirky. He wasn’t a hot head.  He was balanced and even tempered.  He had a superbly balanced character, among other exquisite features.  I think some of us would do better to learn to trust our fellows in what part they play in the outworking of God’s plan.  As the part, so the whole.
    Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant
    MidiChlorian wrote:  There are many things which I have read in the revelation which are no longer there, but I still remember them all, or am I moving through different time dimensions and the only way for me to tell where I’ve been is to know where I am, today?

Didn’t you say  once before that there is some kind of waveform emanating from your basement affecting your mind?  Then there was that other episode where two women were influencing your brainwaves, I think you were playing some memory game and losing, was that it?  Maybe it’s all happening again?  Not sure if I’m remembering those things correctly.  But then again, once you pass a certain age, memory becomes less and less reliable.  I know, for instance, that I had a tape measure just yesterday. I used it twice.  Today it is gone.  I’m pretty sure it is not stuck in another dimension because my time machine is turned off, and I’m also certain that the house elves didn’t take it because they’re locked up ,so now what?

Other thoughts about the “movement”:  We know that movements are best when they are slow, steady and easy.  Explosive movements are messy and painful.  Therefore, there is no need to rush things.  Build up some moral fiber and some friendlies and just keep things gently moving along.  Trust your gut!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 53 total)

Login to reply to this topic.

Not registered? Sign up here.