The religion about Jesus versus the religion of Jesus

Home Forums Urantia Book General Discussions The religion about Jesus versus the religion of Jesus

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

Greetings Mark!

As to the “debate” regarding the presentation of the Jesusonian  Gospel given in the 4th and 5th ERs or presenting the FER in total, perhaps the best approach is both?  Both have their own appeal and purpose and result.

As I understand the UB teachings, they seem primarily to tell us it is best to understand the universe reality presented for those personal changes in perspective, philosophy, and religious practice which will have the greatest effects in our own expressions of our individual religious experiences.  In this way the FER is focused on the individual religionist’s experience with Epochal Revelation and the transformation of each believer who embraces the reality presented by tens of thousands of facts woven into a picturization of history, origin, destiny, relationship, and the details of the universe and our place in that universe.  It is given for those who are led to it and committed sufficiently to truth to embark upon the arduous journey of discovery and utilization in personal transformation.

As I understand the purpose of this 5th Epochal Revelation, it teachings are also a social leaven or salt into the stew of planetary progress, destined to slowly provide important, even critical facts and truths to generation after generation of religionists who are led to it and commit sufficiently to truth to embark upon the arduous journey of discovery and utilization in personal transformation.  By learning and embracing the actual contents, all 2000 pages of 10,000+ facts presented on universe reality, will our world begin that transformation which inherently results in a unified and (eventually) singular philosophy and perspective OF universe reality which leads to the inevitable brotherhood of the family of God.

I think your proposal “…it is our job to restate the teachings to those who show spiritual interest but do not care to read the book, or who may find it too challenging.”…is not without merit but ignores the many quotes posted here on the subject.  Those closest to Jesus personally and coached and prepared by him did have some success….but every generation afterward and every day, year, and generation afterward always resulted in personalized, human distortions of the Gospel….a very simple gospel 2000 years ago compared to the voluminous text book of universe reality facts and truths we have today.

No matter how sincere and highly motivated the evangelist, still will their message be reduced and distorted from the original by their human limitations and myopic perspective of reality.  We are given Epochal Revelation to reduce the confusions and eliminate the errors of humanity’s inherent distortions of reality and metaphysics as delivered by evolutionary religion and personal revelation.  So the new believer hears the preaching of the evangelist and repeats it in their own zeal of generosity and so on and on….how much does the so called gospel become distorted by each re-telling??  Consider the telling, editing, endless retelling of John’s personal revelation.  What a fiasco!!

I think the rulers of Urantia sent us this book form of universe reality facts and truths with a very specific and important purpose – to keep the evangelism ABOUT the Revelation grounded and tethered to the actual presentation OF the Revelation as it is and as it will remain here for its original source and contents to always allow the religionists of today and the future the personal access to ALL the Revelation as written and presented to specifically prevent those human confusions, errors, distortions, blatant revisions, reductionism, and selectivism which would inevitably destroy the Revelation we know as the Gospel and its intended message and teachings over the next 50-100 generations of believers which destroyed the Jesusonian Gospel and replaced it these past 2000 years with the Paulinian doctrines and primitive doctrines and creeds ABOUT the SOURCE of the Jesusonian Gospel.

Nothing wrong with teaching and preaching from the contents of the Revelation, especially the Jesusonian Gospel in its elegant simplicity.  But how does one preach or teach the FER without the FER?  Not possible or practical and such a notion is without true or effective purpose I think.  For those who are too simple or lazy to digest the actual manuscript and text book, and even for those hardy folk who do read the entire Revelation, then secondary and simplified works presented in the form of study aids, story books, cartoons, videos, video games, movies, sermons, radio shows, group presentations at public events, topical studies in classroom settings, discussion and study groups, etc. are helpful, fine, and dandy!  All of those are already available!!  And more are being created every day.  There’s more than one actual church of Urantia started now already for those who desire such congregationalism.

None of this should suggest that the actual text given us as the 5th Epochal Revelation should not be preserved, published, distributed, promoted, and utilized as the central source of all teachings related to universe reality however.  Not only was  the format of the printed book chosen by our planetary rulers but so was its contents (all of its contents) selected with great purpose and by vigorous consideration and editorial authority.  Who among us mere mortals would decide which of its many teachings is less or more important for others?  Especially those in the generations to come?  The authors of Epochal Revelation are its own best voices…the UB speaks for itself far better and more eloquently than any human voice IMO.

Personally, I am so grateful to those believers who have supported the dissemination of the Urantia Papers for the past decades by the Foundation, the Association, and the Fellowship.  There are over 15 translations and readers around the world who socialize and create service ministries of distribution and readership organization and a sharing and caring community of believers who support all of those secondary efforts listed above as very zealous evangels of light embracing the UB as the source of inspiration for their individual expressions of universe perspective and philosophy of living the Gospel OF Jesus….living the Jesusonian Way as best they know how.  In my opinion the priority is lead with the actual UB first and then follow up with the about the Revelation second….both of which are centered on the nature of God and our relationship with God which results in the family of God.

As to “….it is our job to restate….”, my opinion is we are taught that it is our job to LIVE the teachings…and that is sufficient to honor and abide by the teachings.  We need only share the fruits of the Spirit and give love to others.  We are not commanded to share the Revelation or to restate and share its teachings….those are personal choices we may embrace to express our religious experience.  Not commandments or measurements of that religious experience.  Or so I understand.

Thanks for adding to an interesting topic Mark!!  I think the UB offers much to consider on the subjects of preaching, missionaries, and evangelism.

:-)

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

I have three questions:

1. What is the difference between the Gospel of Jesus presented in the Fourth Epochal Revelation and the Gospel of Jesus presented in the Fifth Epochal Revelation?
    2. Aren’t we told in the Fifth Epochal Revelation that the Gospel of Jesus must be restated to each new generation by the Spirit of Truth so they can have a new and up-to-date version of it?
    3. Does this mean that the actual Gospel of Jesus changes or that the meaning of the Gospel of Jesus changes?

194:2.1 And now that he has personally left the world, he sends in his place his Spirit of Truth, who is designed to live in man and, for each new generation, to restate the Jesus message so that every new group of mortals to appear upon the face of the earth shall have a new and up-to-date version of the gospel, just such personal enlightenment and group guidance as will prove to be an effective solvent for man’s ever-new and varied spiritual difficulties.

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

I am unaware of any difference in the Gospel in the 4th and 5th ERs.  I have no idea what differences may be addressed over the generations.  Evolutionary context?

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

Well it seems to me as though it’s the Spirit of Truth who is the teacher and preacher, not the Urantia Book or its students.  Right?  Obviously the Gospel of Jesus doesn’t change, but the meaning of the Gospel of Jesus has to change for every generation and for every person.  Truth is relative and personal. Right?

Restating of the Jesus message has to be done, but it has to be done by Jesus.  Plain and simple.  I think the world needs more people who are willing to allow him to do that.  After all, he is the “savior” of the world, not the Urantia Book or its students.

Gene
    Participant

I am unaware of any difference in the Gospel in the 4th and 5th ERs. I have no idea what differences may be addressed over the generations. Evolutionary context?

here is something a bit different that may or may not  apply to what you are thinking:

from paper 39:

437.5) 39:5.6 In the more advanced epochs of planetary evolution these seraphim are instrumental in supplanting the atonement idea by the concept of divine attunement as a philosophy of mortal survival.

The Fifth Epochal Revelation upgrades the atonement doctrine to attunement as a philosophy.

and if I may read between the lines: atonement, with and mostly without our creator son being crucified is a normal belief doctrine on many worlds. Part of God’s plan that requires change and upgrade as worlds advance.

I don’t think Jesus taught atonement but didn’t it come into being as a result of the misinterpretation of his gospel or the purpose of his life.

I wonder how, on other worlds, atonement concept evolved.

likely sacrifice and blood letting.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

The Fifth Epochal Revelation upgrades the atonement doctrine to attunement as a philosophy.

Gene, the atonement doctrine is not part of the Gospel of Jesus in either epochal revelation and never will be. The atonement doctrine is a metaphysical fictional invention.

Gene
    Participant

Gene, the atonement doctrine is not part of the Gospel of Jesus in either epochal revelation and never will be. The atonement doctrine is a metaphysical fictional invention.

Kind of agree, and I did say that Jesus did not teach it but

Its a part of evolutionary religion (imho) and not just on Urantia according to the quote. You certain it’s a metaphysical invention and not simply part of evolutionary religious progress?

if it’s a metaphysical invention, we certainly have something in common with other worlds, and the seraphim that are responsible for purging it out of our minds?

It sure seems deeply entangled with Christianity

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

Yes Gene…atonement is a normal, evolutionary stage of primitivism and paganism with superstitious ghost fear for origin….a later form of appeasement and the avoidance of bad luck.  These inventions are also forms of fictional (and functional) metaphysics – explaining that reality or myth that is without factual explanation…yet…and so one must be invented, some belief must be formed as explanation when facts are unknown.

Atonement certainly did not originate with Paulinian Christianity but many elements of paganism have certainly been incorporated therein, especially so was the Mother Myth with Mary displacing Eve as a mythical object of worship and veneration.   Same with the virgin birth.  I do hope the World of the Cross has the unique distinction of the only mob or official murder of any incarnated Son of God.  We can only hope.

Julian
    Julian
    Participant

What do you do with the new revelations of Jesus’ life as presented in the Urantia Book?  What about those years with Ganid, and the things he taught him?  What about all those pre-baptismal years where so much of the human Jesus is revealed?  And isn’t it the human Jesus we are to present to the world?

Yes I agree Bonita! And this is borne out by my previous quote:

Jesus understood the minds of men. He knew what was in the heart of man, and had his teachings been left as he presented them, the only commentary being the inspired interpretation afforded by his earth life, all nations and all religions of the world would speedily have embraced the gospel of the kingdom. [Paper 149:2.1, page 1670.2]

One of several pertinent questions that I would like to ask is: what is the “gospel of the kingdom”? It seems to be synonymous with other phrases such as “the “religion of Jesus”, the “gospel of Jesus”, and the “religion of the gospel”.

The religion of Jesus is a new gospel of faith to be proclaimed to struggling humanity. [Paper194:3.2, page 2062.11]

And, sooner or later, these concealed truths of the fatherhood of God and the brotherhood of men will emerge to effectually transform the civilization of all mankind. [Paper 194.2.8, page 2061.6]

Jesus made the care of God for man like the solicitude of a loving father for the welfare of his dependent children and then made this teaching the cornerstone of his religion. And thus did the doctrine of the fatherhood of God make imperative the practice of the brotherhood of man. The worship of God and the service of man became the sum and substance of his religion. Jesus took the best of the Jewish religion and translated it to a worthy setting in the new teachings of the gospel of the kingdom. [Paper 159.5.7, page 1769.9] Emphasis added

In answer to Thomas’s question, “Who is this God of the kingdom?” Jesus replied: “God is your Father, and religion — my gospel — is nothing more nor less than the believing recognition of the truth that you are his son. And I am here among you in the flesh to make clear both of these ideas in my life and teachings.” (1590.5) 141:4.2

In essence, the religion of Jesus, the gospel of the kingdom, is the teaching that the Ultimate Source of all reality is a benevolent, infinitely-loving Father, and we are all members of his universal family, brothers and sister! Moreover, we are to love one another, indeed serve one another in the same way as our Father loves and serves us. The book emphatically declares that this message can and will unite all the disparate peoples of Urantia. But only if it is delivered free from all adulterating influences.

but what about the human Jesus?  What about the way he lived and the power of his faith, the dedication of his life to God’s will?  We are told not to take the human Jesus away from struggling mortals, (196:1.1) and that it’s now time to resurrect the human Jesus from his burial tomb. (196:1.2)

The incomparable life of Jesus and the multitude of other spiritual gems that are contained in the FER are all potentially useful in the process of spiritualizing the planet. But even the amazing events that characterised Jesus’ life could become a distraction from his saving message.  Jesus explained to his apostles:

Jesus endeavored to make clear to his apostles the difference between his teachings and his life among them and the teachings which might subsequently spring up about him. Said Jesus: “My kingdom and the gospel related thereto shall be the burden of your message. Be not sidetracked into preaching about me and about my teachings. Proclaim the gospel of the kingdom and portray my revelation of the Father in heaven but do not be misled into the bypaths of creating legends and building up a cult having to do with beliefs and teachings about my beliefs and teachings.” But again they did not understand why he thus spoke, and no man dared to ask why he so taught them. (1543.1) 138:6.3

Jesus was fully aware of the human tendency to venerate and glorify the messenger to the detriment of the message:

One purpose which Jesus had in mind, when he sought to segregate certain features of his earthly experience, was to prevent the building up of such a versatile and spectacular career as would cause subsequent generations to venerate the teacher in place of obeying the truth which he had lived and taught. Jesus did not want to build up such a human record of achievement as would attract attention from his teaching. Very early he recognized that his followers would be tempted to formulate a religion about him which might become a competitor of the gospel of the kingdom that he intended to proclaim to the world. Accordingly, he consistently sought to suppress everything during his eventful career which he thought might be made to serve this natural human tendency to exalt the teacher in place of proclaiming his teachings. [Paper 128:4.6, page 1413.2]

So is there a contradiction here? I don’t think so but we need to pay close attention to the timing and order of things. Once again, Jesus explained:

That night Jesus discoursed to the apostles on the new life in the kingdom. He said in part: “When you enter the kingdom, you are reborn. You cannot teach the deep things of the spirit to those who have been born only of the flesh; first see that men are born of the spirit before you seek to instruct them in the advanced ways of the spirit. Do not undertake to show men the beauties of the temple until you have first taken them into the temple. Introduce men to God and as the sons of God before you discourse on the doctrines of the fatherhood of God and the sonship of men. Do not strive with men–always be patient. It is not your kingdom; you are only ambassadors. Simply go forth proclaiming: This is the kingdom of heaven–God is your Father and you are his sons, and this good news, if you wholeheartedly believe it, is your eternal salvation.” [141:6.4; 1592.6]

The religions of Urantia are ready for this essential and simple message of salvation.

The teachers of the religion of Jesus should approach other religions with the recognition of the truths which are held in common (many of which come directly or indirectly from Jesus’ message) while they refrain from placing so much emphasis on the differences. [Paper 149:2.5, page 1670.6]

The Zoroastrians had a religion of morals; the Hindus a religion of metaphysics; the Confucianists a religion of ethics. Jesus lived a religion of service. All these religions are of value in that they are valid approaches to the religion of Jesus. Religion is destined to become the reality of the spiritual unification of all that is good, beautiful, and true in human experience. [Paper 5:4.7, page 67.5]

I have much more to say but I’ve run out of time unfortunately. This is quite a complex subject which deserves close and comprehensive scrutiny. I look forward to hearing more of your comments. I sincerely value your depth of understanding and experience regarding The Urantia Book.  May I take this opportunity to wish you and your families a blessed Christmas and a wonderful new year of exciting opportunities for service.  :-)

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

Thank you so much for the Christmas blessing Julian.  May I return to you my fondest wishes for a happy Christmas and joyous new year.  Joy is so contagious, isn’t it?  I wish it for everyone –that God be incarnate in all your souls.

Regarding the gospel of the kingdom, I think TUB is clear that it means the fatherhood of God and the brotherhood of men, in other words, sonship.  But in paper 170 there is a list of five cardinal features of the gospel of the kingdom:

170:4.8 The Master on this occasion placed emphasis on the following five points as representing the cardinal features of the gospel of the kingdom:

170:4.9 1. The pre-eminence of the individual.

170:4.10 2. The will as the determining factor in man’s experience.

170:4.11 3. Spiritual fellowship with God the Father.

170:4.12 4. The supreme satisfactions of the loving service of man.

170:4.13 5. The transcendency of the spiritual over the material in human personality.

I find it remarkable that they put the individual personality first.  I just love that.  There’s nothing wrong with thinking of yourself as long as you’re focused on your joyous relationship with Deity.  It puts the personality on top of everything with its one-to-one relationship with God, who is also a person, and this is what really matters.  It stresses the importance of free will, the individual’s personal choice to love God.  Without this cardinal feature the gospel looses its oomph.  It’s just frothiness.  Personality gives it power.

Teachers and preachers can wax poetic about a loving and wonderful God, but until a person actually meets God person-to-person, it’s just words.  There’s no way to force another individual to do this. They have free will, so they have to see it in your life, be inspired, then want it in their own life.  To be honest, all I do to spread the gospel of the kingdom is to be joyous about my love affair with God, to happily spread the good news. It’s contagious. And I’m not ashamed to tell people that I am in love with a Divine Person who loves me back, and that I wish the same for them. I do my best to never squander or hoard that love, but let it just be what it is, to let the Spirit of Truth do his own work.  I’m only so-so at it, but it’s a work in progress.  I live in constant hope of being a better faith-son.

178:1.16 Do not forget that you are commissioned to go forth preaching only the good news. You are not to attack the old ways; you are skillfully to put the leaven of new truth in the midst of the old beliefs. Let the Spirit of Truth do his own work. Let controversy come only when they who despise the truth force it upon you. But when the willful unbeliever attacks you, do not hesitate to stand in vigorous defense of the truth which has saved and sanctified you.

102:1.1 It is literally true, “Human things must be known in order to be loved, but divine things must be loved in order to be known.”

Thanks again everyone.  Wishing you all JOY!  “The kingdom of God is not meat and drink but righteousness, peace, and joy in the Holy Spirit.” (34:6.13)

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

Merry Christmas Everyone ….

JOY TO THE WORLD!!!  :-)

Mark Kurtz
    Participant

Yes, Joy! For those who want to know what Jesus really did for us there is joy, experienced joy and there will be more!

I’m lately thinking what Christians say he did for us is incomplete; more than just save the world. A good review of planetary religion development would help people see He changed, updated our concept of God to see we actually are a dignified lot on Urantia. Being a child of God is far different than worshipping things—sun, moon, stars et al; you know the details. He set in motion teachings to un-confuse us!

We give birthday parties for those we like, love, admire. Knowing Jesus more would charge us with feelings we want to give him a birthday party! Admiration is one great reason to follow him!

We can sing happy birthday in August and also help others develop a liking for him in December!

Gene
    Participant

And it was this same Vevona who, when Michael was born, heralded to the worlds, as the leader of the angelic host, “Glory to God in Havona and on earth peace and good will among men.”

Nice how the author slightly restated the quote from Luke 2

merry Christmas to all.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

He set in motion teachings to un-confuse us!

YES!! That’s exactly what revelation does.  And Jesus is the Master Revealer, the Great Un-Confuser.  He makes all things new.  Even old ideas get new meanings.  How can anyone be miserable or worried when there’s such a light within immediate grasp?   Yes, we are all incredibly blessed.

I’m listening to carols right now and the boy choir is singing “Oh that we were there.”  I have to think, don’t they know that we were there.  Jesus is incarnate within our souls and we were there the moment it happened, at the birth.  How intensely thrilling! What else do you need?

Christmas is a time for reflecting on the living Jesus.  Easter is mainly a sad holiday focused on death and suffering.  But Christmas – Christmas is where it’s at if you ask me, even if it’s all mixed up with Mithras.  Jesus being born, full of life and within reach of every person.  Now’s the time to let souls know that he never really left this planet and since he puts the individual personality at the top of his priorities, he will never leave any of us, ever.  It’s us that leave him, or forget about him.   Let’s remind people that Jesus is alive in every heart and he adores each of us as his own.

I can never get through singing “O Little Town of Bethlehem” without bursting into tears.  The words are so moving despite being mixed in with Christian myth:

How silently, how silently, the wondrous gift is given! So God imparts to human hearts the blessings of his heaven.  No ear may hear his coming, but in this world of sin, where meek souls will receive him, still the dear Christ enters in.   . . . O holy Child of Bethlehem, descend to us, we pray; cast out our sin and enter in, be born in us today.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

Login to reply to this topic.

Not registered? Sign up here.