The DANGERS of the URANTIA BOOK

Home Forums Urantia Book General Discussions The DANGERS of the URANTIA BOOK

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    clintbarton
    Participant

Hi,

The Urantia Book (UB) was published in the middle of the 20th Century after having been translated and edited, by God’s permission, by fallen Midway Creatures, in order to ensure its publication. For an evil world will not publish a good book. The UB had to be so presented to the world so as to attract the wicked in society, those who reject the truths of the Bible, to publish it, as so by God’s will to expose the world to the critical 1st section of the book. The fact that the heads of state, by and large, are veritable rebels against God attests to the truth that this world (earth/”Urantia”) is in fact evil, wherein evil is both out of control and in control.

Thanks!

Moderator-1
    Moderator-1

Your post has been edited.

Moderator-1

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

Hi, The Urantia Book (UB) was published in the middle of the 20th Century after having been translated and edited, by God’s permission, by fallen Midway Creatures, in order to ensure its publication. For an evil world will not publish a good book. The UB had to be so presented to the world so as to attract the wicked in society, those who reject the truths of the Bible, to publish it, as so by God’s will to expose the world to the critical 1st section of the book. The fact that the heads of state, by and large, are veritable rebels against God attests to the truth that this world (earth/”Urantia”) is in fact evil, wherein evil is both out of control and in control. Thanks!

Greetings Clinton!

An interesting perspective.  It appears to contradict the UB itself however, and in multiple ways.  I hope you do not mind if we compare and contrast your opinions with the teachings of the text itself?

The first issue is whose permission and authority is responsible for the writing and presentation of the UB.  The UB says each Local Universe is created and managed by a Creator Son and each level of a Local Universe has its own administrative system, all of which is under the supervision of the Super Universe  rulers.  The UB does not say, with any clarity I can discern, just exactly what level of authority and leadership approved the UB.

It does, clearly, say there have been no rebel or fallen midwayers on Urantia for 2000+ years and further, that the loyal midwayers only authored one section of the UB, every Paper in the first sections is clearly identified at the end of each Paper.

The UB also teaches that neither people nor worlds are inherently evil….that evil is primarily the error of evolutionary and experiential progress and development due to free will and individual choices delivered by our motives, intentions, priorities, and choices.  Evil is said to be but error….the intentional embrace of that which is known to be wrong is sin.  There is plenty of both on our world it is true and as is explained in the Paper on the Mortal Epochs, the evolutionary process of the spiritualization of a world depends completely upon the spiritization of people…one at a time and individually by the ministry of mind and spirit.

So it would appear you are claiming the UB to be a book of lies and deception?  That its claims are false?  If so, then I wonder why you waste your time with it or claim it to have any authenticity at all?  It’s written by celestials but its a fabrication of deceit?  And such a motive and intention and function is also the will of God?

And you think those of us attracted to the Papers the past 60+ years are wicked people?  And not a little stupid too I bet?

Curious.  As the truths within the Bible are so clearly and frequently included in the UB (as well as  thousands of humanity’s highest concepts and quotes of truth), I wonder why you think those who reject the Bible truths would embrace these truths?  It is true that some UB students and believers have abandoned the evolutionary churches…but this generalization is itself quite false itself!  Many UB students embrace the experience of the Revelation and socialized religion – both!

Have you met and known so many readers of the UB then to conclude us to be wicked and stupid?

Another poster here – Enno – actually posted a topic with the same title at TruthBook under the name nodAmanaV…perhaps you’ve read it?

https://truthbook.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5332

You sound so very certain in your declaration and proclamation here.  I wonder what it is you hope to accomplish here by such a post?  Is this a warning to us who study the text?  And an accusation toward those of us who have come to believe its claims for itself?  As I said – curious.

chucksmith1982
    Participant

I came from the same place where this person is comeing from. I first read the UB for intertainment, as I’ve read other religious texts (other than the Bible of course) being an ultra conservative fundamentalist Christian. However, that is not the end of the story. I read it a second time, this time, with a view of doing what the person who started this post is most likely trying to do, convert those who believe the UB either to Christianity or back to Christianity if they left the faith.

What really convinced me to give the UB a second read with this in mind was the fact that virtually every Christian who comes out against the UB will admit that they have never completely read the text and that they have no intention  of doing so. In short, they say “I’ve never read much of The Urantia Book, I have no intentions of ever completely reading The Urantia Book, but I can tell you what is wrong with it. It is not my particular religion. ” In an article written by an UB believer, this was pointed out along with the fact that you can not truly speak against something unless you do your research first.

So, Here I go, carefully rereading the UB with this in mind. And what a treasure-trove of ammunition I found!

How dare this book contradict everything that I was ever taught!

I then decided to go after the UB as one who had read it from cover to cover, not once, but twice!

Before doing so, however, I decided to read the Bible for myself first. It was the cornerstone of my faith, and so I thought that if I was going to go after someone elses faith, I’d better be well versed in my own first.

In order to get as much of an unbiased view as possible, I decided to let the Bible speak for itself, just as I let the UB speak for itself. To that end, I used no notes or other Bible helps of any kind. The only thing that I did use was a chronological Bible schedule to give my reading some structure. This allowed me to put everything in a timeline order. Though the schedule was not perfect, (none of them are) it was able to allow me to completely read the Bible in such a way that I could understand it.

I completed a chronological reading of the Bible… Then I had a crisis of faith. As I said, I used no outside helps when reading either The Urantia Book or the Bible. I did my best to allow both religious texts to speak for themselves.

And what happened? as I said, I had a crisis of faith. All of my life I’d been taught that the Bible was perfect. It was to be the final authority on all of my major life decisions.

After reading the Bible, I began to question such blind obedience to a book that had such cruelty and open contradiction. When I went to my pastor for guidance I was basically told to believe it and that I had to take what the Bible said on faith. Unsatisfied with what my pastor told me I continued to look for answers. I was unable to find answers that satisfied either my mind, my heart, or my spirit.

I was left with a hard choice. 1. Believe the Bible… somehow. I found myself unable to do this to any great degree after reading it and doing some research. 2. I could become an atheist. This was a very real possibility. I’d done some preliminary research into other religions over the years and none of what I’d found really had the ring  of truth to me. 3. I could except wholeheartedly The Urantia Book.

Having narrowed my choices to 1 and 3, (I rejected 2 because I have seen God do to much for me and others over my life to say he doesn’t exist) I decided to read The Urantia Book for a third time, this time, with a more opened mind. After completing this reading I became a full believer in The Urantia Book.

Has it been an easy road? No, it has not. I am from Alabama, and this part of the United States is ultra conservative. If you are not Christian, but belong to another religion instead, you are considered to be involved with a cult . This also applies to other major religions including some branches of Christianity… ex, Cathilism. Sorry for the misspelling. Hope everyone understands what I meant… The religion with the Pope.

Basically, I can, and do, tell everyone that I am a follower of Jesus. If they want to press me and I tell them that I follow the teachings found in The Urantia Book, wich includes 700 pages devoted to the life and teachings of Jesus, I am then told that I am involved in a cult. It doesn’t matter that I follow Jesus. In their eyes, because I do not draw my inspiration and beliefs from the Bible, I belong to a cult. People who make this assertion about me also include my family.

As I said, this is not a easy road. But the things most worth doing are not easy. I have no regrets about this particular life choice.

I hope that this can help everyone who reads this understand where this person is comeing from.

Julian
    Julian
    Participant

Thanks so much Chuck for sharing your story. It was inspirational for me!! Thanks also Bradly for your customary words of wisdom!

Love and peace

Julian

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

Clinton – I forgot to say “Welcome to the Forum!”  I wish you the best in your pilgrim’s journey.  As a longtime devotee of the Bible (KJV myself), I understand your judgmental perspective of our world and your concerns about its future.  I discovered the truth of the Jesusonian Gospel and Way  before I discovered the  UB which really helped me see the truths in common to both.  Jesus taught us (in the KJV) that God is a loving parent who never ceases to seek out his children and who feels a tender compassion for us and gives us such tolerant patience and forgiveness for our immaturities and childish choices.  This picture of God was given us many times over by Jesus as you will recall.

Jesus also taught us that we are all family….the children of God.  And that all of our worldly troubles and the evils we  suffer from are best eliminated by acting like family…all beloved children of God.  It is not a difficult truth to find or understand in the Bible I do not think.  And this truth is spoken within to every person by the Holy Spirit and the Spirit of Truth – as also taught by both the Bible and the UB.

The Bible presents  at least 4 faces/personages of God – as any devout reader and/or student/scholar of the Bible can easily discern.  In the Old Testament, there are the God of the Jews which later becomes the God of All who is jealous and angry and demanding.  And in the NT, there is  the  Paternal and Loving and Forgiving God of the Jesusonian Gospel….and then there is Paul’s God….a Roman/Jewish/Mithraic/Paganized God….sort of a hybrid between the Jesusonian and the Judaic and Roman versions of the day.

Which God shall we believe in and embrace?  My money has always been on the God of Jesus!!!  How about you?  I wish you God’s speed and grace on your journey home Clinton.  According to Jesus…..WE ARE FAMILY!!!

CHUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for such a tremendous testimony.  Well said.  You demonstrate the power of the yearning, thirst, and hunger for truth within…and also the clarity of mind and purpose to let loose of strong prejudice in pursuit of understanding; the ability to transcend and transform and seek the enlightening path without being paralyzed by fears and doubts!!  What an example!  Behold the mighty tadpole…loyal to his nature and his destiny!!!!

:good:

Mara
    Mara
    Participant

I came from the same place where this person is comeing from.

Your recitation is heartfelt.  I feel it.  Your diligence is amazing!  I attend a weekly non-denominational prayer circle of believers – people who have found the one and only God and who have found Jesus.  We get together not to debate religious differences, but to support one another, to share faith together, to love each other, to worship together, to pray together, to help each other as best we can.  I am the only UB reader in the group.  It is unnecessary for me to make this book known.  The Bible is sufficient for most people.  And the Bible is plenteous with God’s spiritual nourishment and wisdom.

Mark Kurtz
    Participant

Thank you Chuck! It seems we all experience conflict and questions upon first exposure to The Urantia Book. We are all non-omniscient persons (NONOMPS) who do grant credibility when we are certain a concept, message, or teachings seems right and good. The real topic in this thread is “credible resource”. The UB authors kindly tell us God can only be proven by one’s experience and not through science or any material means.

I am glad to read of Chuck’s methods and efforts to determine whether the book is credible. Since we all benefit from a Thought Adjuster gift, we all are led to use intellectual gifts to augment “proof” of God. Chuck seems to have wisely used both to arrive at a marvelous truth—God can indeed upgrade our concepts and dreams and hopes for eternal personality survival.

In Jesus we see Divinity upgrading humanity. From him, narrated in Part IV, we see we are not to rely on old records and outworn concepts. He teaches us to hold fast to the truths from old records, but his message is couched in a Cosmos-wide truth—-progress.

Progress is enhanced in UB teachings. Lets embrace forward progress in each soul.

Mara
    Mara
    Participant

Speaking of books, a Urantia Book reader friend of mine said something about the book I thought was hilarious.

He held up his book, the large hardcopy version published by Urantia Foundation in 1955, and he said, “People say this book is going to change the world.”  Next, he put the book down on the coffee table in front of him.  He pointed to the book.  He said, “The book is there.  It isn’t moving.  It’s not doing anything.  The book can’t do anything.  It’s just a book.”

Wagner
    Participant

Hi, The Urantia Book (UB) was published in the middle of the 20th Century after having been translated and edited, by God’s permission, by fallen Midway Creatures, in order to ensure its publication. For an evil world will not publish a good book. The UB had to be so presented to the world so as to attract the wicked in society, those who reject the truths of the Bible, to publish it, as so by God’s will to expose the world to the critical 1st section of the book. The fact that the heads of state, by and large, are veritable rebels against God attests to the truth that this world (earth/”Urantia”) is in fact evil, wherein evil is both out of control and in control. Thanks!

Hey, clintbarton. I advise you to be careful where your faith is leading you. Try reading the UB again and when you finish reading entire book, read it again. Thanks!  :good:

chucksmith1982
    Participant

To those of you who have given words of encouragement, I really appreciate it. I found the truth, but only after I went looking. It is the greatest gift I have yet found. To God be the glory!

paul_pdx
    paul_pdx
    Participant

My understanding of, and appreciation for, The Bible was only increased by reading The Urantia Book (or TUB)

I’ve always hoped that folks really into the Bible would find and love TUB, and sometimes they do, other times not.

One big booster of the U-Book is Dr. Meredith Sprunger, a minister in the United Church of Christ (a liberal christian church) and he’s written some good stuff about getting TUB into the hands of the bible folks.

Teobeck
    Participant

Like chucksmith1982, I’m also originally a country boy from Georgia. I posted on these forums for years and had very interesting dialogues with Bonita, Rick Warren and others. After a trip to heaven OOB in 1976, I immersed myself in the Bible for 15 years similarly to fundamentalism, and upon discovery of the UBook in 1991, I realized I would have to start with Part IV which I could understand. The UB was consistent with what I had seen in heaven, and Part IV was generally consistent with the Bible, and the UB filled in all the blanks and questions I had always had about the Bible (more facts and history, made the characters real), so I was hooked.

I’m 79 now, still playin’ blues guitar in North Atlanta clubs with my sons, despite undergoing chemo for lymphoma. I have maintained my blog, gospel-parallels.net for 8 years, which compares the Bible and the UBook. (The Vatican web address regularly still visits.)

Lots of people inquire at gigs as to how I’m still doing this, and my simple answer is “Jesus”. So, despite my undergraduate studies at Emory in Philosophy, and my graduate studies at John Marshall Law School, I’m still overwhelmed by the UBook explanations of Jesus and the Trinity/Triunity, and its cosmology.

By whatever method one gets to God the Father and Jesus, once there one is no longer alone. Fundamentalists should be forgiven and loved, for they know not what they do, but they are at least on the path. Help them if possible. Have them read my blog. That’s why I wrote it.

May God bless you all.

Gene
    Participant

I think it’s that danged sixth Adjutant that tends to get weak minds to existentialize the truths of evolutionary religions, so without the courage to ask “WHY”, some of us tend to get stuck in places that are not healthy.

When we ask WHY – then we engage that seventh Adjutant and release ourselves from this sort of thing.

the WHY gets us to the root or source of real truth. The Urantia book is not truth. It’s just a book. But when we read and interpret with open minds, truth can happen. The book is not dangerous but weak minds are.

Whats that quote the authors use: something like: it’s unfortunate that so few people have the courage to think – or something like that, I can’t locate the quote.

Mark Kurtz
    Participant

Is it 16:6.9 Gene?

Or 110:7.6?

Maybe 129:4.5 and maybe 195:10.5 relates well to your thought. Thank you for your contribution here!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

Login to reply to this topic.

Not registered? Sign up here.