Terminology?

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    leon14
    Participant

I’m just looking for general opinions…..

I look at some of the names/terms used in the UB, while I can see the equivalent in other metaphysical/occult systems; I dont think anyone new to the UB or indeed the concept of spirituality would.

When I read name and terms such as “Thought Adjuster”, “Trinitized Sons of Attainment”, “Paradise Trinity” or “Mighty Messengers”; the first thing that comes to mind are the likes of movies such as “Dark City” or TV shows like Dr Who. Even worse is that people might mistake these terms as Scientology ones. Christian Science has this problem with the general public thinking Scientology and Christian Science are one and the same.

So I’m thinking would it be worthwhile for a UB dictionary to be released so the names/terms used in the UB can be matched up with the equivalents that people may know them as? Also such a ‘dictionary’ could be written up on a word processor, listed on UB sites for download and more importantly explain to readers that the UB was in existance before the sci-fi TV shows and movies.

My email - leon_fourteen@y7mail.com

Xobeht
    Xobeht
    Participant

Funny that you should bring this up.

The Foreward of the UB contains within it descriptions of the terms that are used in the papers that follow. The Urantia Book is of a quality that demands of the reader an attention to detail such that would facilitate the avoidance of confusion over time. This book is not for the timid or the faint of will. It requires dedication of a high level. Those who are sincere peruse the papers for decades and tolerate vast amounts of uncertainty. Lo and behold day by day, bit by bit, they get it.

If a person is truly interested in the revelation they will avail themselves of every possible technique that can be mustered by the personality so to enable as much understanding as necessary for spiritual growth–equal to the desire of the reader. Usually all it takes is a big dictionary and a lot of patience. Having a UB dictionary of Terminology cannot do justice to the Urantia Book. It is a revelation to mankind that should be taken seriously and studied with intent and purpose. Preferably it should be read front to back page by page.

The Foreward contains the required terminology for a complete understanding, the problem being Time! Time is absolutely necessary to really understand what you are reading. One might have to read the difficult parts a few times over.

I hope this doesn’t sound a little off-putting, I’m not that articulate and I’m trying to make a point about the time required to master a book this intense.

Sincerely,

Paul

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

I thought there were several dictionaries out there already.  Doesn’t Truthbook have one?  I don’t use them often, so I forget.

leon14
    Participant

Found this one – http://www.urantiabook.org/newbook/glossary.htm

My email - leon_fourteen@y7mail.com

Keryn
    Participant

I think Paul expressed perfectly the nature of the TUB and why a separate dictionary could actually be disadvantageous to sincere students of the book.  While we’re at it, when is the “Cliff’s Notes” version of the book going to come out?   ;-)   There simply are no shortcuts.

That said, I can certainly understand and relate to the idea of attempting to circumvent the many ways that folks unfamiliar with TUB can misconstrue its nature and assume it is a cult or a Scientology type of religion. However, there is really no way to proactively defend against all such assumptions and easy-explanations that people may use to brush off TUB as something not worth their time.  Folks who are at that stage of spiritual inquiry simply aren’t ready to take on the TUB yet.

As Paul said, time is the key.

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

While a dictionary is helpful….all new words in the UB are presented to introduce whole new concepts beyond any word or even definition one might find in the Revelation.  It’s best to discover the meanings/definitions of those terms by the multiple usages of the terms introduced I think.

No shortcuts will deliver desirable results in truth seekers.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Login to reply to this topic.

Not registered? Sign up here.