. . . so many falter and fail. . . .

Home Forums Urantia Book General Discussions . . . so many falter and fail. . . .

Viewing 9 posts - 61 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • Author
    Gene
    Participant

Ok, here’s a possible #13: participation in bazaar rituals that have no logical meaning.

like: how to resolve the rabbit and the egg thing.

regardless, I got several baskets of the relative goodies and toys ready for the little ones. Even the teenagers are still looking for the chocolate part of the rite.

happy Easter to all and hope someone out there has the fortitude to deal with such social pressure.😊

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

I was wondering about the seemingly wide divergence between people’s perspective here.  Some seem to think few survive and others, like me, think most do.  Interesting.

I must say how much my view of our world has changed these past decades and primarily due to the Master’s instruction to look for the light within each person and to fan its flames as one might discern the flicker and the light within each mind.  By doing so, when I now look out upon the ‘fields’ of souls on our world, what I see is wheat everywhere with some tare scattered amongst them.  It is true that not all the wheat if fully grained or standing tall on a strong stalk….but I see the fruits of the Spirit brought forth.

It’s also true that the wheat I see struggles with the material nature and the distractions and demands of material life.  A large percentage of our population is hardly spoiled like in the West but must toil everyday and all day for water and subsistence food and without education, medicine, or much hope of anything material, still do they share with and care for one another.

Repetition of the dark news endlessly streaming from hundreds of sources (“if it bleeds, it leads”) is a constant assault on the emotions and the perceptions of all of us.  But the Papers teach that it is an error, actual evil, to define reality by the dark patches of sin and its consequences by believers and those who profess to live the transformative life of the ascender.

I think it an error to judge the world as having more tares than wheat just because the wheat is not perfect but struggles to reach the nourishing light above and within.  We are not to judge and we are not to worry…and yet we do both.

Van Amadon
    Van Amadon
    Participant

(110:4.4) Trust all matters of mind beyond the dead level of consciousness to the custody of the Adjusters. In due time, if not in this world then on the mansion worlds, they will give good account of their stewardship, and eventually will they bring forth those meanings and values intrusted to their care and keeping. They will resurrect every worthy treasure of the mortal mind if you survive.

What does it mean, that there are “matters of mind beyond the dead level of consciousness” and what is it about them “beyond the dead level” that’s so worthy?

(169:2.5) “And it is in this way that the sons of this world sometimes show more wisdom in their preparation for the future than do the children of light. I say to you who profess to be acquiring treasure in heaven: Take lessons from those who make friends with the mammon of unrighteousness, and likewise so conduct your lives that you make eternal friendship with the forces of righteousness in order that, when all things earthly fail, you shall be joyfully received into the eternal habitations.

Does it take greater natural spiritual capacity to comprehend “matters of mind beyond the dead level of consciousness”?

(110:6.4) When the development of the intellectual nature proceeds faster than that of the spiritual, such a situation renders communication with the Thought Adjuster both difficult and dangerous. Likewise, overspiritual development tends to produce a fanatical and perverted interpretation of the spirit leadings of the divine indweller. Lack of spiritual capacity makes it very difficult to transmit to such a material intellect the spiritual truths resident in the higher superconsciousness. It is to the mind of perfect poise, housed in a body of clean habits, stabilized neural energies, and balanced chemical function—when the physical, mental, and spiritual powers are in triune harmony of development—that a maximum of light and truth can be imparted with a minimum of temporal danger or risk to the real welfare of such a being.

Who will drink to that?

Van Amadon
    Van Amadon
    Participant

Some seem to think few survive and others, like me, think most do.

In the next life we are going to run into all the people who irritated us in this life.

Well then Bradly and Bonita, if you’re both right, it will need to be in heaven, as it is on earth.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant
    Bradly wrote: I was wondering about the seemingly wide divergence between people’s perspective here.  Some seem to think few survive and others, like me, think most do.  Interesting.

I tend to agree, although I really don’t know if it’s most or many.  I can’t imagine the people whom I know not surviving. They’re all moral individuals.  Even my ex-husband, who is a God-denier and one of the most self-absorbed people I’ve ever met, I imagine arriving there eventually. He’s not completely amoral, he’s just totally preoccupied with his own pleasure, which I consider to be ridiculously immature. What I have doubts about is the number of people going on the third day.  That, I think, is not as common as I’d like it to be.  I don’t think third circlers are all that common.  I could be wrong, but there are an awfully large number of immature people around . . . a huge number dazzled by free choice and not yet mature enough to understand their cosmic obligations . . . which is the definition of sin.  But sin doesn’t result in extinction, iniquity does.

118:7.4 Sin in time-conditioned space clearly proves the temporal liberty – even license – of the finite will. Sin depicts immaturity dazzled by the freedom of the relatively sovereign will of personality while failing to perceive the supreme obligations and duties of cosmic citizenship.

Yeah, I agree with you Bradley.  I agree that the universe is white, full of light, with only a few black dots casting shadows.  And just like the huge floaters in my field of vision (so large that I actually named them), I’ve learned to see around them as though they’re not there at all.  My brain trained itself to fill in the gaps, and I think the soul is capable of doing that too, on a higher level . . . it has the ability to perceive the true, the beautiful and the good while looking straight through those dark spots of immaturity.  Like heaven on earth.

George Park
    Participant

Jesus directly addresses the terrible question “will there be few or many really saved?” in the Sermon at Gerasa (166:3). He recalls certain theological doctrines about who will and will not be saved without comment, implying they do not really answer the question. These doctrines may satisfy the desire to rank ourselves against our peers, but they are apparently not those by which the Ancients of Days adjudicate salvation. Instead of giving rules and criteria, Jesus, chooses to answer the spirit of the question.

You also have another saying among you, and one that contains much truth:  That the way which leads to eternal life is straight and narrow, that the door which leads thereto is likewise narrow so that, of those who seek salvation, few can find entrance through this door…. But I declare that salvation is first a matter of your personal choosing. Even if the door to the way of life is narrow, it is wide enough to admit all who sincerely seek to enter, for I am that door. (166:3.3)

But fear not; every one who sincerely desires to find eternal life by entrance into the kingdom of God shall certainly find such everlasting salvation. (166:3.5)

Nevertheless, to all who are honest of heart and sincere in faith, it remains eternally true: “Behold, I stand at the doors of men’s hearts and knock, and if any man will open to me, I will come in and sup with him and will feed him with the bread of life. (166:3.7)

There is more than a little dishonesty and hypocrisy between the denizens of this world. Heaven is a better place, where personalities are more honest of heart and more sincere in faith.

Gene
    Participant

Well-if I have anything to do with it I will not falter and fail, someone up there will need to fail me.

That don’t mean I have fixed all that needs fixing.

Mara
    Mara
    Participant

“But I declare that salvation is first a matter of your personal choosing. Even if the door to the way of life is narrow, it is wide enough to admit all who sincerely seek to enter, for I am that door.” (166:3.3)

Yes, it’s about personal choosing and also about progressive steps after that in order to grow up.

170:3.2[Part IV]
    Though Jesus taught that faith, simple childlike belief, is the key to the door of the kingdom, he also taught that, having entered the door, there are the progressive steps of righteousness which every believing child must ascend in order to grow up to the full stature of the robust sons of God.
    Jesus was tried and tested, even as we are. (128:1.2)  (128:1.5) (127:5.4) It gives me great comfort to read about his life on earth and what he went though and what he endured.
    Mara
    Mara
    Participant

. . . I will not falter and fail, someone up there will need to fail me.

Apparently we will subject ourselves to being tested by examiners when we think we are ready.

48:2.23[Part II]
    You may repeatedly subject yourself to the test of these examiners, and as soon as you register adequate spiritual achievement, they will gladly certify you for advanced standing. These progressive changes result in altered reactions to the morontia environment, such as modifications in food requirements and numerous other personal practices.
    Once we embark on the eternity adventure, we’re going to learn that failure is an educational episode.
    160:4.15[Part IV]
    And it is in this business of facing failure and adjusting to defeat that the far-reaching vision of religion exerts its supreme influence. Failure is simply an educational episode — a cultural experiment in the acquirement of wisdom — in the experience of the God-seeking man who has embarked on the eternal adventure of the exploration of a universe. To such men defeat is but a new tool for the achievement of higher levels of universe reality.
Viewing 9 posts - 61 through 69 (of 69 total)

Login to reply to this topic.

Not registered? Sign up here.