. . . so many falter and fail. . . .

Home Forums Urantia Book General Discussions . . . so many falter and fail. . . .

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 69 total)
  • Author
    André
    André
    Participant

Good day all,

post #24684  André

what the heck, seems like I have general animosities towards organizations (profit/non-profit, politics,socials) and persons.

4. The amazing performances of faith.

“Through religious faith the soul of man reveals itself and demonstrates the potential divinity of its emerging nature by the characteristic manner in which it induces the mortal personality to react to certain trying intellectual and testing social situations. Genuine spiritual faith (true moral consciousness) is revealed in that it:

“10. Contributes to the continued survival of altruism in spite of human selfishness, social antagonisms, industrial greeds, and political mal-adjustments.

101:3.4 Job 13:15

Seems like I was not off-track when I said so about inner feelings. And TUB enhance by a truth. Good example/reminder on how to proceed when 120:4.4 (1331.4) to enhance the revelation of God.

André

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

André, thanks for reminding me of that list of 12 manifestations of the nature of the emerging morontia soul which are possible while still in the flesh.  I think they are 12 examples of living the morontia life on earth. I also think it’s a list of the attributes of an agondonter. I especially like #12.  They say there are still others . . . would love to know what they are.

101:3.4-18  Through religious faith the soul of man reveals itself and demonstrates the potential divinity of its emerging nature by the characteristic manner in which it induces the mortal personality to react to certain trying intellectual and testing social situations. Genuine spiritual faith (true moral consciousness) is revealed in that it:

1. Causes ethics and morals to progress despite inherent and adverse animalistic tendencies.

2. Produces a sublime trust in the goodness of God even in the face of bitter disappointment and crushing defeat.

3. Generates profound courage and confidence despite natural adversity and physical calamity.

4. Exhibits inexplicable poise and sustaining tranquillity notwithstanding baffling diseases and even acute physical suffering.

5. Maintains a mysterious poise and composure of personality in the face of maltreatment and the rankest injustice.

6. Maintains a divine trust in ultimate victory in spite of the cruelties of seemingly blind fate and the apparent utter indifference of natural forces to human welfare.

7. Persists in the unswerving belief in God despite all contrary demonstrations of logic and successfully withstands all other intellectual sophistries.

8. Continues to exhibit undaunted faith in the soul’s survival regardless of the deceptive teachings of false science and the persuasive delusions of unsound philosophy.

9. Lives and triumphs irrespective of the crushing overload of the complex and partial civilizations of modern times.

10. Contributes to the continued survival of altruism in spite of human selfishness, social antagonisms, industrial greeds, and political maladjustments.

11. Steadfastly adheres to a sublime belief in universe unity and divine guidance regardless of the perplexing presence of evil and sin.

12. Goes right on worshiping God in spite of anything and everything. Dares to declare, “Even though he slay me, yet will I serve him.”

We know, then, by three phenomena, that man has a divine spirit or spirits dwelling within him: first, by personal experience – religious faith; second, by revelation – personal and racial; and third, by the amazing exhibition of such extraordinary and unnatural reactions to his material environment as are illustrated by the foregoing recital of twelve spiritlike performances in the presence of the actual and trying situations of real human existence. And there are still others.

And it is just such a vital and vigorous performance of faith in the domain of religion that entitles mortal man to affirm the personal possession and spiritual reality of that crowning endowment of human nature, religious experience.

Gene
    Participant

thx for those 12 examples.

Something more revealed than true moral consciousness: human nature. It says there is more: possibly the dark side of human nature may get a bit lighter? Seems to me we can exercise faith with challenges not so Agondonterish? 😊

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant
    Gene wrote:  Something more revealed than true moral consciousness: human nature.

What do you mean?

Gene
    Participant

Example one-ethics and morals progress on the one hand and our adverse animalistic tendencies on the other.

1:Causes ethics and morals to progress despite inherent and adverse animalistic tendencies.

all 12 are similar in this respect. True moral consciousness on the one hand and human nature on the other. The divine side vs the animal side of possible conduct.

But I suppose the human nature side is not really a revelation, we should be well aware of our potential.

Van Amadon
    Van Amadon
    Participant

Ever meet someone who was beyond their twenties who fanned the flicker of faith to embrace those things that we know lead to surviving mortal life?
    It happens but it’s rare.

For those who refuse the gift of faith, pride is the problem. It gets to the point that reversing themselves when the light of truth is encountered, the pride of self won’t allow humility to alter the nature of the continuance of error.

(184:2.12) It requires a great and noble character, having started out wrong, to turn about and go right. All too often one’s own mind tends to justify continuance in the path of error when once it is entered upon.

(111:6.2) The courage required to effect the conquest of nature and to transcend one’s self is a courage that might succumb to the temptations of self-pride. The mortal who can transcend self might yield to the temptation to deify his own self-consciousness. The mortal dilemma consists in the double fact that man is in bondage to nature while at the same time he possesses a unique liberty—freedom of spiritual choice and action. On material levels man finds himself subservient to nature, while on spiritual levels he is triumphant over nature and over all things temporal and finite. Such a paradox is inseparable from temptation, potential evil, decisional errors, and when self becomes proud and arrogant, sin may evolve.

(111:6.9) Of all the dangers which beset man’s mortal nature and jeopardize his spiritual integrity, pride is the greatest. Courage is valorous, but egotism is vainglorious and suicidal. Reasonable self-confidence is not to be deplored. Man’s ability to transcend himself is the one thing which distinguishes him from the animal kingdom.

(111:6.10) Pride is deceitful, intoxicating, and sin-breeding whether found in an individual, a group, a race, or a nation. It is literally true, “Pride goes before a fall.”

André
    André
    Participant

Hi everyone,   

the dark side of human nature  Gene

Gene our Father/oldest brother never consider humans His children create or having a “dark side” what you said is whats been calling a sophism. Lies among truths.

As I can remember the only “dark side” create is potential dark side due to exercising choices between potential good and potential evil. For the benefit God Perfect Plans. Master Plans perfecting humblest finite creatures endowed with  118:6.6 spiritual volition  …  self-identifying with the will of God. As I said earlier, spiritual volition is innate in mind’s create personality.

Brotherly,

André

Van Amadon
    Van Amadon
    Participant

(149:6.11) “You do well to be meek before God and self-controlled before men, but let your meekness be of spiritual origin and not the self-deceptive display of a self-conscious sense of self-righteous superiority. The prophet spoke advisedly when he said, ‘Walk humbly with God,’ for, while the Father in heaven is the Infinite and the Eternal, he also dwells ‘with him who is of a contrite mind and a humble spirit.’ My Father disdains pride, loathes hypocrisy, and abhors iniquity. And it was to emphasize the value of sincerity and perfect trust in the loving support and faithful guidance of the heavenly Father that I have so often referred to the little child as illustrative of the attitude of mind and the response of spirit which are so essential to the entrance of mortal man into the spirit realities of the kingdom of heaven.”

How can anyone really help someone who’s adulterated the attitude of a child?

Gene
    Participant

Hi everyone,

the dark side of human nature Gene

Gene our Father/oldest brother never consider humans His children create or having a “dark side” what you said is whats been calling a sophism. Lies among truths. As I can remember the only “dark side” create is potential dark side due to exercising choices between potential good and potential evil. For the benefit God Perfect Plans. Master Plans perfecting humblest finite creatures endowed with 118:6.6 spiritual volition … self-identifying with the will of God. As I said earlier, spiritual volition is innate in mind’s create personality. Brotherly, André

am I the only one here struggling with the dark side of those 12 examples?

They are all not necessarily evil, there are some instinctual traits in there it seems to me  we share with our animal cousins.

I don’t care if this sort of thing is created or not. Does it really matter? We have to deal with it – at least I do.

Anonymous
    Inactive

It would seem that we can all suffer from the “darkness within” which can be brought to bare on a non-forgiving heart, even though we wish to be perfect in our choices because we do not make more options to choose from.  Judas was one such person who chose poorly, but are we all not subject to the same errors?

(1567.1) 139:12.8 This is just the reason why Jesus permitted Judas to go on to the very end, always doing everything possible to transform and save this weak and confused apostle. But when light is not honestly received and lived up to, it tends to become darkness within the soul. Judas grew intellectually regarding Jesus’ teachings about the kingdom, but he did not make progress in the acquirement of spiritual character as did the other apostles. He failed to make satisfactory personal progress in spiritual experience.

(1567.2) 139:12.9 Judas became increasingly a brooder over personal disappointment, and finally he became a victim of resentment. His feelings had been many times hurt, and he grew abnormally suspicious of his best friends, even of the Master. Presently he became obsessed with the idea of getting even, anything to avenge himself, yes, even betrayal of his associates and his Master.

(1567.3) 139:12.10 But these wicked and dangerous ideas did not take definite shape until the day when a grateful woman broke an expensive box of incense at Jesus’ feet. This seemed wasteful to Judas, and when his public protest was so sweepingly disallowed by Jesus right there in the hearing of all, it was too much. That event determined the mobilization of all the accumulated hate, hurt, malice, prejudice, jealousy, and revenge of a lifetime, and he made up his mind to get even with he knew not whom; but he crystallized all the evil of his nature upon the one innocent person in all the sordid drama of his unfortunate life just because Jesus happened to be the chief actor in the episode which marked his passing from the progressive kingdom of light into that self-chosen domain of darkness.

Even though we, from time to time can falter and even if not darkness but a gray area within, it does present an issue for some more than others.  To not forgive someone, because we think that we are correct, or made perfect, sometimes blinds us to the problems others need to deal with from one day to another.

Van Amadon
    Van Amadon
    Participant

(176:3.4) “As individuals, and as a generation of believers, hear me while I speak a parable: There was a certain great man who, before starting out on a long journey to another country, called all his trusted servants before him and delivered into their hands all his goods. To one he gave five talents, to another two, and to another one. And so on down through the entire group of honored stewards, to each he intrusted his goods according to their several abilities; and then he set out on his journey. When their lord had departed, his servants set themselves at work to gain profits from the wealth intrusted to them. Immediately he who had received five talents began to trade with them and very soon had made a profit of another five talents. In like manner he who had received two talents soon had gained two more. And so did all of these servants make gains for their master except him who received but one talent. He went away by himself and dug a hole in the earth where he hid his lord’s money. Presently the lord of those servants unexpectedly returned and called upon his stewards for a reckoning. And when they had all been called before their master, he who had received the five talents came forward with the money which had been intrusted to him and brought five additional talents, saying, ‘Lord, you gave me five talents to invest, and I am glad to present five other talents as my gain.’ And then his lord said to him: ‘Well done, good and faithful servant, you have been faithful over a few things; I will now set you as steward over many; enter forthwith into the joy of your lord.’ And then he who had received the two talents came forward, saying: ‘Lord, you delivered into my hands two talents; behold, I have gained these other two talents.’ And his lord then said to him: ‘Well done, good and faithful steward; you also have been faithful over a few things, and I will now set you over many; enter you into the joy of your lord.’ And then there came to the accounting he who had received the one talent. This servant came forward, saying, ‘Lord, I knew you and realized that you were a shrewd man in that you expected gains where you had not personally labored; therefore was I afraid to risk aught of that which was intrusted to me. I safely hid your talent in the earth; here it is; you now have what belongs to you.’ But his lord answered: ‘You are an indolent and slothful steward. By your own words you confess that you knew I would require of you an accounting with reasonable profit, such as your diligent fellow servants have this day rendered. Knowing this, you ought, therefore, to have at least put my money into the hands of the bankers that on my return I might have received my own with interest.’ And then to the chief steward this lord said: ‘Take away this one talent from this unprofitable servant and give it to him who has the ten talents.’

(109:4.5) I have observed a Thought Adjuster indwelling a mind on Urantia who has, according to the records on Uversa, indwelt fifteen minds previously in Orvonton. We do not know whether this Monitor has had similar experiences in other superuniverses, but I suspect so. This is a marvelous Adjuster and one of the most useful and potent forces on Urantia during this present age. What others have lost, in that they refused to survive, this human being (and your whole world) now gains. From him who has not survival qualities, shall be taken away even that experienced Adjuster which he now has, while to him who has survival prospects, shall be given even the pre-experienced Adjuster of a slothful deserter.

(189:3.1) A little after half past four o’clock this Sunday morning, Gabriel summoned the archangels to his side and made ready to inaugurate the general resurrection of the termination of the Adamic dispensation on Urantia. When the vast host of the seraphim and the cherubim concerned in this great event had been marshaled in proper formation, the morontia Michael appeared before Gabriel, saying: “As my Father has life in himself, so has he given it to the Son to have life in himself. Although I have not yet fully resumed the exercise of universe jurisdiction, this self-imposed limitation does not in any manner restrict the bestowal of life upon my sleeping sons; let the roll call of the planetary resurrection begin.”

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant
    Gene wrote: Example one-ethics and morals progress on the one hand and our adverse animalistic tendencies on the other.  . . . The divine side vs the animal side of possible conduct.

Oh, okay.  Yeah, that’s what I was thinking too . . . our dual nature.  I agree that the list of twelve attributes of faith is a list of things our divine natures are capable of while living a righteous and morontia life right here on earth.  It’s all good.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant
    Gene wrote: . . . am I the only one here struggling with the dark side of those 12 examples?
    Nope, you’re not alone.  I have trouble with #4.  I’m a whiner.  I hate pain . . . it makes me very cranky.  I also have trouble with #5.  If I’m mistreated I instinctively fight back, but only to a point.  If I think those mistreating me are idiots, then I leave them to their own idiocy. Not sure if that’s the best thing to do or not, but you can’t fix stupid if stupid doesn’t want to be fixed, I don’t think . . . you just give them enough space to be stupid in their own little world and try your best to stay clear while warning others to stay clear too.  Anyway  . . . I think I’m cool with the rest of the list.  Then again I might be suffering from ignorance, immaturity or delusion . . . time will tell.
    Gene
    Participant
    Gene wrote: . . . am I the only one here struggling with the dark side of those 12 examples?
    Nope, you’re not alone. I have trouble with #4. I’m a whiner. I hate pain . . . it makes me very cranky. I also have trouble with #5. If I’m mistreated I instinctively fight back, but only to a point. If I think those mistreating me are idiots, then I leave them to their own idiocy. Not sure if that’s the best thing to do or not, but you can’t fix stupid if stupid doesn’t want to be fixed, I don’t think . . . you just give them enough space to be stupid in their own little world and try your best to stay clear while warning others to stay clear too. Anyway . . . I think I’m cool with the rest of the list. Then again I might be suffering from ignorance, immaturity or delusion . . . time will tell.
    i can add #1 and 10 to that.
    but I can’t help but consider what could be more, we are told there is more. How much more could there be?
    it makes sense to me that trying social situations should not always be necessary to reveal our true moral consciousness. Maybe more is not so trying. Just thinking.
    Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant
    Gene wrote: Maybe more is not so trying. Just thinking.

Nah . . . I think it has more to do with doing.  Something like the willingness to risk your life to save someone else . . . like so  many of our first responders, not to mention the random true heroes out there who completely forget about themselves in times of someone else’s dire need.  Something like the widow who put her last coins in the trumpet.

172:4.2  “Heed well what you have just seen. This poor widow cast in more than all the others, for all these others, from their superfluity, cast in some trifle as a gift, but this poor woman, even though she is in want, gave all that she had, even her living.”

There are other signs of greatness out there, but Jesus said the hardest is sometimes the simplest, like holding your own tongue.  Still learning that one . . . that’s for sure . . . long way to go there.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 69 total)

Login to reply to this topic.

Not registered? Sign up here.