Service

Viewing 5 posts - 46 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

Gene, I just want to let you know that I knew exactly what you were talking about without having to refer to the quote. Any long time reader should be able to figure out what quote you were talking about.  Too many quotes get in the way of a discussion, especially when some folks have a tendency to parse the meaning of the word “is”.  I throw in the quotes because I realize that most people here want them and for the benefit of new readers.  It’s easy for me because I catalogued quotes for easy access without having to rely on search engines.  With most search engines, if you don’t recall the exact word or words used, you can sometimes search for weeks . . .  how’s that helping discussion?  Not at all . . . you just give up and shut up.  Not good.  So don’t worry about it. You’re one of the few folks willing to post, and without you, it’s awfully quiet around here.  Thanks.

Gene
    Participant

Gene, I just want to let you know that I knew exactly what you were talking about without having to refer to the quote. Any long time reader should be able to figure out what quote you were talking about. Too many quotes get in the way of a discussion, especially when some folks have a tendency to parse the meaning of the word “is”. I throw in the quotes because I realize that most people here want them and for the benefit of new readers. It’s easy for me because I catalogued quotes for easy access without having to rely on search engines. With most search engines, if you don’t recall the exact word or words used, you can sometimes search for weeks . . . how’s that helping discussion? Not at all . . . you just give up and shut up. Not good. So don’t worry about it. You’re one of the few folks willing to post, and without you, it’s awfully quiet around here. Thanks.

Love you Bonita

Mark606
    Participant

Service – a great topic Gene. And I like your questions as to what the nature of this service should be.

As most of us know, before the preaching tour, Jesus was a carpenter fixing wagons and making boats, and he also served as a tutor, and a caravan driver, among other things. I believe there’s a quote somewhere about doing the will of God in our work and in all the little things in life.

So I’ve often wondered if our jobs qualify as service, such as your piano maintenance. Does all service have to be volunteer work or washing feet? Do you think it really matters if we get paid for it?

And I just want to add this little quote, which I didn’t see mentioned in your thread.

“Worship… must alternate with service, contact with material reality.” 143:7.3

In a way, I see worship as spiritual downloading and service as a spiritual uploading.

Gene
    Participant

“So I’ve often wondered if our jobs qualify as service”

Interesting thought.

Thinking about what you said about Jesus work on boats etc I believe that quality work and mental focus and skill building will be just as useful in the Mansion career as it is here. Can’t say if it qualifies as service but quality is always appreciated.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

I believe there’s a quote somewhere about doing the will of God in our work and in all the little things in life.

Maybe these:

p1732:4 155:6.11 Never forget there is only one adventure which is more satisfying and thrilling than the attempt to discover the will of the living God, and that is the supreme experience of honestly trying to do that divine will. And fail not to remember that the will of God can be done in any earthly occupation. Some callings are not holy and others secular. All things are sacred in the lives of those who are spirit led; that is, subordinated to truth, ennobled by love, dominated by mercy, and restrained by fairness— justice. The spirit which my Father and I shall send into the world is not only the Spirit of Truth but also the spirit of idealistic beauty.

192:2.13 Never forget that, when you are a faith son of God, all upright work of the realm is sacred. Nothing which a son of God does can be common. Do your work, therefore, from this time on, as for God. And when you are through on this world, I have other and better worlds where you shall likewise work for me. And in all of this work, on this world and on other worlds, I will work with you, and my spirit shall dwell within you.

25:1.1 Though denominated servitals, these “midway creatures” of the central universe are not servants in any menial sense of the word. In the spiritual world there is no such thing as menial work; all service is sacred and exhilarating; neither do the higher orders of beings look down upon the lower orders of existence.

Viewing 5 posts - 46 through 50 (of 50 total)

Login to reply to this topic.

Not registered? Sign up here.