Service

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Gene
    Participant

Ah, but you “knew” I needed the assistance. There is a difference, your help was not imposed or assumed.

What you’re saying makes no sense. Doesn’t the quote say: ” . . . watch for the opportunity to do something for them which you are sure they want done . . . “?

Making no sense, story of my life.
    However, being sure sounds about the same as knowing to me. If you are not sure and or don’t know, and give help then you are giving something that don’t make sense, fitting the square peg into a round hole so to speak.
    Maybe I’m trying to make a distinction that makes no sense too, but I see it anyway.
    I get plenty of help from the political party that I don’t care for and they insist on helping me. This thought is my idea of the easy giving. Getting to know a person and their real needs is different, not so easy. Don’t know how else to say it.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

I understand what you’re saying Gene, and I agree with you.  The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Gene
    Participant

For me, making the effort to get to know someone to the point where I can give something that has real meaning and value for that person – well let’s say I’m a bit lazy and the process needs definite improvement. Jesus was a master at it. He makes it look easy.
    Isn’t it written in the revelation somewhere that we can swap our mind for the mind of Jésus?

André
    André
    Participant

Jesus advised us to learn what someone needs and make every effort to give it to them.

… if this quoted referred to give encouragement, hope and incitive, I agreed 100 %. But if it refered to material’s needs at any efforts, any cost, even Jesus prevent himself to do so.

130:7.2  Become interested in your fellows; learn how to love them and watch for the opportunity to do something for them which you are sure they want done,

… look like to be the righteous quote. Thanks.

I just need a quote from TUB. The only direct acknowledgement was to ignore it.

Remind me ! Is this thread talking about service ?

Service one anothers. ???

180:1.1 That you love one another even as I have loved you. 

Is an opportunity was skip through ?

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

Jesus was a master at it. He makes it look easy. Isn’t it written in the revelation somewhere that we can swap our mind for the mind of Jésus?

Yes, and he is still the master of all loving relationships. Let the Master handle everything and don’t worry about it so much.  Just do your best to love people a little more every day, make every encounter beneficial to the other person in some way, even if it’s just letting them know you care about them.

Service is a natural outflowing of an inner relationship with Deity. If you care about the Deity in your own head, then you’ll naturally care about others. Train your brain to look both ways at all times and let the Master do his own work when it comes to directing love.  There’s none better at it. And remember that awareness of Adjuster guidance is simply allowing your brain to think of others rather than yourself. Let that happen. Service is simply love in action, the bearing of spiritual fruit. Love others the same way Jesus loves you, the golden rule. It’s really pretty simple.  Just work at allowing the fruit to grow. Jesus is the sweet fragrance of the fruit, which is what people really want and need.

100:4.6 You cannot truly love your fellows by a mere act of the will. Love is only born of thoroughgoing understanding of your neighbor’s motives and sentiments. It is not so important to love all men today as it is that each day you learn to love one more human being. If each day or each week you achieve an understanding of one more of your fellows, and if this is the limit of your ability, then you are certainly socializing and truly spiritualizing your personality.

174:1.5 Love is the outworking of the divine and inner urge of life. It is founded on understanding, nurtured by unselfish service, and perfected in wisdom.

2:5.8 The experience of loving is very much a direct response to the experience of being loved.

12:9.2 Love is the secret of beneficial association between personalities. You cannot really know a person as the result of a single contact.

56:10.21 Love is the desire to do good to others.

142:1.4 Love is the rule of living within the kingdom–supreme devotion to God while loving your neighbor as yourself.

103:2.10The impulse of the spirit Monitor is realized in human consciousness as the urge to be altruistic, fellow-creature minded.

180:5.10 Love, unselfishness, must undergo a constant and living readaptative interpretation of relationships in accordance with the leading of the Spirit of Truth. Love must thereby grasp the ever-changing and enlarging concepts of the highest cosmic good of the individual who is loved. 

180:5.11 And so must we clearly recognize that neither the golden rule nor the teaching of nonresistance can ever be properly understood as dogmas or precepts. They can only be comprehended by living them, by realizing their meanings in the living interpretation of the Spirit of Truth, who directs the loving contact of one human being with another.

140:5.1 Brotherly love would love your neighbor as you love yourself, and that would be adequate fulfillment of the “golden rule.” But fatherly affection would require that you should love your fellow mortals as Jesus loves you.

147:4.9 6. The spiritual level. And then last, but greatest of all, we attain the level of spirit insight and spiritual interpretation which impels us to recognize in this rule of life the divine command to treat all men as we conceive God would treat them. That is the universe ideal of human relationships. And this is your attitude toward all such problems when your supreme desire is ever to do the Father’s will. I would, therefore, that you should do to all men that which you know I would do to them in like circumstances.

140:10.6 This new religion of Jesus was not without its practical implications, but whatever of practical political, social, or economic value there is to be found in his teaching is the natural outworking of this inner experience of the soul as it manifests the fruits of the spirit in the spontaneous daily ministry of genuine personal religious experience.

Gene
    Participant

Jesus advised us to learn what someone needs and make every effort to give it to them.

… if this quoted referred to give encouragement, hope and incitive, I agreed 100 %. But if it refered to material’s needs at any efforts, any cost, even Jesus prevent himself to do so.

130:7.2 Become interested in your fellows; learn how to love them and watch for the opportunity to do something for them which you are sure they want done,

… look like to be the righteous quote. Thanks.

I just need a quote from TUB. The only direct acknowledgement was to ignore it.

Remind me ! Is this thread talking about service ?

Service one anothers. ???

180:1.1 That you love one another even as I have loved you.

Is an opportunity was skip through ?

130:7.2 Become interested in your fellows; learn how to love them and watch for the opportunity to do something for them which you are sure they want done,”

Yes, this is the idea that captured my interest and prompted this thread.
    “Something you are sure they want done”
    I find this to be challenging. It is the true nature of meaningful service. It requires thought and unselfish effort. What do you think? Is it easy for you to “be sure” of the real needs of a brother or sister prompting your targeted service?

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

What do you think is the driving need of most people?

Gene
    Participant

What do you think is the driving need of most people?

Survival.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

Survival.

There are two kinds of survival.  Which one?

Gene
    Participant

Both
    But the focus of soul survival tends to take a back seat to the material at times.

Gene
    Participant

I wonder if I can tell the difference when I am self serving, satisfying my need to serve and gratifying that need to serve as opposed to satisfying the persons real need whom I am attempting to serve??
    Got to think about that one.
    Self serving and self righteousness come to mind.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

Both But the focus of soul survival tends to take a back seat to the material at times.

Well . . .  earlier on in this thread you mentioned this:

Gene wrote:There is another event involving Jesus I believe while in or on the way to Rome that comes to mind in regard to service: jesus only gave alms to a needy person and Ganid was curious:why no ministry? Jesus said this person had no capacity for sonship with God or something close to that. What does that mean? No adjuster? No higher Adjutants contact? No response to spirit gravity? Surely alms helped him and administered to his real needs as well as identifying he was more than animal and minded somehow.
    Here’s the quote in question:

(1466.2) 132:7.2 “Ganid, the man was not hungry for truth. He was not dissatisfied with himself. He was not ready to ask for help, and the eyes of his mind were not open to receive light for the soul. That man was not ripe for the harvest of salvation; he must be allowed more time for the trials and difficulties of life to prepare him for the reception of wisdom and higher learning. Or, if we could have him live with us, we might by our lives show him the Father in heaven, and thus would he become so attracted by our lives as sons of God that he would be constrained to inquire about our Father. You cannot reveal God to those who do not seek for him; you cannot lead unwilling souls into the joys of salvation. Man must become hungry for truth as a result of the experiences of living, or he must desire to know God as the result of contact with the lives of those who are acquainted with the divine Father before another human being can act as the means of leading such a fellow mortal to the Father in heaven. If we know God, our real business on earth is so to live as to permit the Father to reveal himself in our lives, and thus will all God-seeking persons see the Father and ask for our help in finding out more about the God who in this manner finds expression in our lives.”

Wouldn’t you say that those folks who are mostly interested in material survival are lacking awareness of their own souls and their soul’s true needs?  Some are open to true needs and others need time to figure out that they actually have them. Your service is the same to both kind of people . . . just shine the light. Those who desire more will ask for more, and if they don’t, just be fragrant and graceful, stay connected to the vine and let Jesus do his thing.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

I wonder if I can tell the difference when I am self serving, satisfying my need to serve and gratifying that need to serve as opposed to satisfying the persons real need whom I am attempting to serve??

That’s why I can’t stand do-gooders.

Gene
    Participant

“Wouldn’t you say that those folks who are mostly interested in material survival are lacking awareness of their own souls and their soul’s true needs? Some are open to true needs and others need time to figure out that they actually have them. Your service is the same to both kind of people . . . just shine the light. Those who desire more will ask for more, and if they don’t, just be fragrant and graceful, stay connected to the vine and let Jesus do his thing”

Agree, as long as we are in a world where our basic material needs are satisfied. Hunger, thirst, direct threat to life have a way of putting us in survival mode – animal style.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

I’ve heard some people say they like doing social service because it makes them feel good.  That’s a humungous red flag right there.  Stay away from that kind of service, the kind that makes you feel good.  Feeling good and being good aren’t the same thing.   Feeling good is part of the kingdom of good, which falls way short of the kingdom of God, which is being good (and true goodness is unconscious).  It comes down to the social fruit vs. spiritual fruit thing . . .  attempting to graft one’s own desires onto the true vine with the hope of stealing it’s mojo juice.

102:7.4 True, many apparently religious traits can grow out of nonreligious roots. Man can, intellectually, deny God and yet be morally good, loyal, filial, honest, and even idealistic. Man may graft many purely humanistic branches onto his basic spiritual nature and thus apparently prove his contentions in behalf of a godless religion, but such an experience is devoid of survival values, God-knowingness and God-ascension. In such a mortal experience only social fruits are forthcoming, not spiritual. The graft determines the nature of the fruit, notwithstanding that the living sustenance is drawn from the roots of original divine endowment of both mind and spirit.

2:5.12 When man loses sight of the love of a personal God, the kingdom of God becomes merely the kingdom of good.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 50 total)

Login to reply to this topic.

Not registered? Sign up here.