Service

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Gene
    Participant

How do we do service to our fellow human beings effectively? Is this service putting money in the Salvation Army bucket? Preaching a sermon? Doing volunteer work? Giving someone some material thing we think they need?
    Jesus advised us to learn what someone needs and make every effort to give it to them.
    I find this latter idea to be much more difficult than it may sound.
    It involves getting to know someone personally and learning their real needs as well as having the ability and desire to supply that need. Real needs tend to not be material things don’t they?
    It’s easy to give someone what we think they need, like alms- and feel like we have done service but isn’t that a miscarriage of the real nature of service?
    What do you think best describes real service to our fellow human beings?
    On the social side of this I think about the roll of government: for example is it better to try to guarantee equal opportunity or equality?

André
    André
    Participant

Hi Gene,

Too often quotes is done without references. That open a door to any assertion whom can lead lector on a false premises.

Would you Gene set an example with your quote ?

Jesus advised us to learn what someone needs and make every effort to give it to them.

Thanks

Gene
    Participant

Hi Gene,

Too often quotes is done without references. That open a door to any assertion whom can lead lector on a false premises.

Would you Gene set an example with your quote ?

Searching papers 131, 132, 133 I know it’s in there somewhere but I’m not very good using the search engine, sorry.

Thanks

André
    André
    Participant

Hi Gene,

No need Gene to use “search engine” if you do the search and back-up your assertions.

Most every participants do like that. We do it, to spare the lector undue investigations.

Sooo why not Gene roll up sleeves and pass through 131 / 132 / 133 and become a courageous, firm searcher instead leave an incomplete opinion and overcome this flaw.

Here is my example:

127:6.12 He is becoming experienced in the skillful wresting of victory from the very jaws of defeat.

Gene
    Participant

Hi Gene,

No need Gene to use “search engine” if you do the search and back-up your assertions.

Most every participants do like that. We do it, to spare the lector undue investigations.

Sooo why not Gene roll up sleeves and pass through 131 / 132 / 133 and become a courageous searcher instead dropping an incomplete opinion and overcome this flaw.

Here is my example:

127:6.12 He is becoming experienced in the skillful wresting of victory from the very jaws of defeat.

I’m sorry Andre, just ignore the thread.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

(1438.5) 130:7.2 When Ganid inquired what one could do to make friends, having noticed that the majority of persons whom they chanced to meet were attracted to Jesus, his teacher said: “Become interested in your fellows; learn how to love them and watch for the opportunity to do something for them which you are sure they want done,” and then he quoted the olden Jewish proverb — “A man who would have friends must show himself friendly.”

Gene
    Participant

(1438.5) 130:7.2 When Ganid inquired what one could do to make friends, having noticed that the majority of persons whom they chanced to meet were attracted to Jesus, his teacher said: “Become interested in your fellows; learn how to love them and watch for the opportunity to do something for them which you are sure they want done,” and then he quoted the olden Jewish proverb — “A man who would have friends must show himself friendly.”

Thank you very much

Gene
    Participant

Thank you very much

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

Glad to be of service

Gene
    Participant

There is another event involving Jesus I believe while in or on the way to Rome that comes to mind in regard to service: jesus only gave alms to a needy person and Ganid was curious:why no ministry?
    Jesus said this person had no capacity for sonship with God or something close to that.
    What does that mean? No adjuster? No higher Adjutants contact? No response to spirit gravity? Surely alms helped him and administered to his real needs as well as identifying he was more than animal and minded somehow.
    How difficult it is to really recognize someone’s true needs..
    How easy it is to give someone something that we think they need.. impose ourselves on someone.

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

Actually…I think it a very worthy and most interesting topic!  What is service?  How do we best serve others “effectively”?

I think there are multiple ‘audiences’ we might serve:  First is the ‘as we pass by’ forms of service to family, friends, community, and total strangers…the ‘neighbor’ thing.  This is not something planned or performed I don’t think so much as an expression of caring and sharing that is reflexive at the intersection of situation, circumstance, and encounter.  Such kindness seeds of good will don’t go unnoticed or unappreciated and are infectious in their results.  I remember the parable about the seed sown on rock, road, and fertile soil and how it is not up to the sower to determine which seed falls where and whether it takes root…some will and some will not but none will if no seed is thusly and freely and generously sown!  Perhaps this is the area where brotherly/sisterly love is expressed more?

Then there is service to family and to friends where loyalties and nurturing are demonstrated by our loving nature.  While seed sowing is also relevant here, often enough we must discern more and more clearly as to the situation and the need and the person – we personalize the service.  Wisdom is more important here than above I think.  We must watch our false sympathies and our enabling bad choices and protecting those we love from the consequences of bad choices.  Perhaps this is where the paternal nurturing love is needed more?

And finally, for now, are those service ministries focused more on community, nation, world.  The positive support of some agency or objective or issue that moves us to act specifically in service for the greatest good for the greater number.  An opportunity to work with others in teams of collaboration with a shared caring and compassion for others which builds relationships and companionships beyond home, employment, and our as we walk by service as Good Samaritans.

I think in all cases we must surrender the very human desire to know, determine, or manage the results of our service.  And we must discern how to improve our choices based on our good motivations and intentions by a growing, experiential wisdom at all such intersections of situation, circumstance, and relationship.  The “effective” issue is one related closely to wisdom I think…and yet all service that is from love and caring and sharing is “effective” in its way.  Do not random acts of kindness bear grain/fruit and ripple outwards from their planting?  Yes…I think they do!

Thanks for the topic Gene!   :good:

Over 700 quotes for the keyword “service”:

https://urantia-association.org/search/?zoom_sort=2&zoom_query=service&zoom_per_page=100&zoom_and=0&zoom_cat%5B%5D=-1

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

How easy it is to give someone something that we think they need

Very easy if you are paying attention and care.  It was easy to see you needed help finding a quote, so, wanting to be of service, I found it.  Took about 30 seconds and no sweat at all.

Gene
    Participant

How easy it is to give someone something that we think they need

Very easy if you are paying attention and care. It was easy to see you needed help finding a quote, so, wanting to be of service, I found it. Took about 30 seconds and no sweat at all.

Ah, but you “knew” I needed the assistance.
    There is a difference, your help was not imposed or assumed.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

Ah, but you “knew” I needed the assistance. There is a difference, your help was not imposed or assumed.

What you’re saying makes no sense. Doesn’t the quote say: ” . . .  watch for the opportunity to do something for them which you are sure they want done  . . . “?

André
    André
    Participant

Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day; Teach a man how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)

Login to reply to this topic.

Not registered? Sign up here.