sci fi or what

Home Forums Science & History sci fi or what

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    nelsong
    Participant

Seems that Stephen Hawking has completely lost the ability to use his fingertips that enabled a computer device to help him communicate. In place of this he has recieved an upgrade in the form of a chip that I think is implanted as well as part of his glasses and it has the ability to read and decode his thoughts which then can manipulate a computer for comminication.  Its the result of a new technology called Brain Mapping.

Physicist Michio Kaku comments and sepculates on this rapidly growing technology in his great new book: “The Future of the Mind” where he says that Brain Mapping will some day enable the intellect to be completely captured and uploaded into a computer. Going a step farther Michio speculates that this intelligence can then be translated to a laser beam that can be shot out into space where an individual can explore the universe without having to go there with the body.

If by chance this should become a reality in the future, do you think the mind or personality will accompany a digitized intellect uploaded into a computer ? Or travel with a laser beam into deep space at light speed?

Certainly they will first use it so solve other more pressing problems on Urantia like mental illness or paralysis etc but wow. What next?

thoughtcontroller
    thoughtcontroller
    Participant

I have listened to enough scientists speak about mind and intellect to know they view mind and intellect as one and the same, since mind and consciousness is utterly inexplicable by an equation. We will upload the entire intellect into a computer via a brain mapping chip. And the end result is, in my view and understanding…an intellectual map of your brain… And nothing more… The intellect, apart from the mind-consciousness personality, is dead… It has no life of its own. And this is what makes the whole subject of transhumanism a puerile concept, in my view. But the scientist will never be satisfied with an answer that is not attempted first, even if it never succeeds… –Tim R Walls

Tim R Walls

emanny3003
    Blocked

And this is what makes the whole subject of transhumanism a puerile concept, in my view

Yes, I agree.

Regards, Manny

nelsong
    Participant

I have not read any trans humanism stuff I must admit and tend to agree with your opinions.

i found this fascinating because Hawking is making it happen at the entry level.

personally I hesitate to consider any limitations in science till that hard driven, imaginative scientist finds them.i

emanny3003
    Blocked

I caution anyone placing Hawking on too high a pedestal. He is presently second guessing himself on ‘black holes’. Hawking’s imagination is fantastic but we are all subject to misdirection and it is important to recognize limits.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

Hawking describes his computer set up on his official website: http://www.hawking.org.uk/the-computer.html

He controls the computer with his cheek muscles and admits that brain controlled interfaces don’t work well.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

I think it is important to remember that mind is a living ministry.  Mind and life are closely associated.  Living mechanical mind is controlled by power directors (Physical Controllers), whereas human mind is controlled by personality.  I don’t think it is possible to transfer personality into a machine. Only God bestows personality.  Man-made machines may indeed think, but they can never have life, nor can they ever have a unique personality; therefore, they can never be human.

Ramblon
    Participant

Bonita,

I truly hope that you can take this observation objectively. Since I have gone back much further, I see that this site is “your baby”, perhaps you are convinced that you are never wrong. Everybody is wrong sometimes. IMO, I believe you take this “mind ministry principle as a backbone of your thinking. It may be present in the Book, but the context may not be what you think. God has bestowed life into everything. Man man machines are God made machines. To say that they can never have may not be true. If they already doal, I can not prove it, and you cannot prove that they don’t. We will and do replace body parts, I intend to take this physical ride no matter if science turns me to steel and transistors, or orange jello.

“in Him I Move and Have my being”  A ministry of mind would not care.

Ramblon
    Participant

It is hard to type in the middle of this huricane, (in the dark). My truck steering wheel makes it hard to hit

the right keys

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

Login to reply to this topic.

Not registered? Sign up here.