Religion In Human Experience – Paper 100

Home Forums Urantia Book General Discussions Religion In Human Experience – Paper 100

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 235 total)
  • Author
    Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

I hoped this topic would bring a wide loop of multiple topics to consider and integrate in our pursuit of understanding Paper 100.  So far, so good…and thanks for your participation and considerations.  Again, feel free to move forward, back, or sideways during this topic to ask questions, clarify concepts, and shed additional light on the many issues presented in text.  As is usual when studying the UB, what comes next so often clarifies and specifies issues just read….it has always impressed me how the authors wrote in such a way as to both anticipate questions and lead the mind to questions like bread crumbs through the forest of discovery!  After thusly seeing enough trees, the forest is revealed!

100:1.5 (1094.7) The soil essential for religious growth presupposes a progressive life of self-realization, the co-ordination of natural propensities, the exercise of curiosity and the enjoyment of reasonable adventure, the experiencing of feelings of satisfaction, the functioning of the fear stimulus of attention and awareness, the wonder-lure, and a normal consciousness of smallness, humility. Growth is also predicated on the discovery of selfhood accompanied by self-criticism — conscience, for conscience is really the criticism of oneself by one’s own value-habits, personal ideals.

100:1.6 (1095.1) Religious experience is markedly influenced by physical health, inherited temperament, and social environment. But these temporal conditions do not inhibit inner spiritual progress by a soul dedicated to the doing of the will of the Father in heaven. There are present in all normal mortals certain innate drives toward growth and self-realization which function if they are not specifically inhibited. The certain technique of fostering this constitutive endowment of the potential of spiritual growth is to maintain an attitude of wholehearted devotion to supreme values.

100:1.7 (1095.2) Religion cannot be bestowed, received, loaned, learned, or lost. It is a personal experience which grows proportionally to the growing quest for final values. Cosmic growth thus attends on the accumulation of meanings and the ever-expanding elevation of values. But nobility itself is always an unconscious growth.

I think 1.5 above teaches us that the very “discovery of selfhood”….the yearn and curiosity and wonder lure and the joys of discovery and learning and growth itself is the beginning, perhaps, of the desire for the branch to attach itself to the vine…to connect to the very source of all these feelings.  And by such a connection and experience does the fruit begin to appear on the branch.  Notice how humility and self criticism come into play….the very antithesis of prejudice.  The branch grows increasingly loyal to the vine I think, especially when the fruits of the Spirit deliver happiness, contentment, patience, kindness, joy….to be shared in loving service….which further strengthens the branch and grows ever more fruit.  The growth of wisdom by such experience only adds to the strength of the branch.

According to my understanding, it also grows and strengthens the vine…as represented by the Supreme who also grows as all the fruit on all the branches grows too.

“…innate drives…function….if not specifically inhibited….”

Indeed!

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

Quote 1.5 also mentions the soil for spiritual growth presupposes “the functioning of the fear stimulus of attention and awareness”.

Do you think that’s what Jesus meant by appealing to the emotions as explained below?

(1705.4) 152:6.4 Jesus taught the appeal to the emotions as the technique of arresting and focusing the intellectual attention. He designated the mind thus aroused and quickened as the gateway to the soul, where there resides that spiritual nature of man which must recognize truth and respond to the spiritual appeal of the gospel in order to afford the permanent results of true character transformations.

Gene
    Participant

As the paper is about growth and progress I’d like to try to include progress.
    Isn’t it true that progress (change) happens coincident with growth? Isn’t progress “actualizing” spirit realities?
    I think 100:3.5 talks about true change?
    And how change without growth is valueless?
    Backing up to paper 99:1.1 we are informed that if we impose change that reflects our cosmic ignorance that potential evil can be “actualized”. I think this happens way too much now days, secular humanism and politics are guilty of this don’t you think?(got to invent a fascist style word for this sort of relationship)
    We are told that we cannot cause growth so how does it happen? Doesn’t it start by wholehearted devotion to doing Gods will while at the same time getting the mind in sync with the Mother ministry? But it also must involve our personalities, our physical brains, our minds, and our relationships??
    So what really is involved with actualizing spirit realities and can we recognize when it happens? Is the associated (real) change the indicator?
    I’d venture to say that it feels good when it happens at least. That feel good described as supreme subjective satisfaction.
    This revelation about the true nature of religion smacks of change and implies required growth.

George Park
    Participant

Quote 1.5 also mentions the soil for spiritual growth presupposes “the functioning of the fear stimulus of attention and awareness”. Do you think that’s what Jesus meant by appealing to the emotions as explained below? (1705.4) 152:6.4 Jesus taught the appeal to the emotions as the technique of arresting and focusing the intellectual attention. He designated the mind thus aroused and quickened as the gateway to the soul, where there resides that spiritual nature of man which must recognize truth and respond to the spiritual appeal of the gospel in order to afford the permanent results of true character transformations.

I can see the parallel here, since fear is a material emotion which definitely tends to focus the intellectual attention. Quote 1.5 also says:

Growth is also predicated on the discovery of selfhood accompanied by self-criticism — conscience, for conscience is really the criticism of oneself by one’s own value-habits, personal ideals.

Conscience embraces our personal moral values. It is an evolutionary authority which expresses itself emotionally. Generally, we are afraid of going against our conscience, which judges us (criticizes us) when we do not do the right thing, when we fail to live up to our perceived moral duty. The conscience can arouse fear, focusing the intellectual attention upon a moral value, a fact which the ancient prophets knew and employed. But the conscience arouses other feelings than fear; it also reacts with a positive emotion of righteousness when we do what we believe is our duty, as judged by our personal code of moral conduct. 

I think Jesus may be referring to the emotional arousal of the conscience as the evolutionary gateway to the morontia soul. We are told that while the conscience admonishes us to do right, it is not the voice of the Adjuster to the soul. “Conscience is not a divine voice speaking to the human soul.” (92:2.6) But it does seem that the path to the spirit Adjuster is through the moral conscience; it is the gateway thereto.

“My disciples must not only cease to do evil but learn to do well; you must not only be cleansed from all conscious sin, but you must refuse to harbor even the feelings of guilt. If you confess your sins, they are forgiven; therefore must you maintain a conscience void of offense.” (156:2.7)

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

So what really is involved with actualizing spirit realities and can we recognize when it happens? Is the associated (real) change the indicator?

I think if you’re worried too much about this, you’re too focused on yourself and your performance.  Real spiritual progress has more to do with recognizing your own smallness along with a desire for greater perfection, which I think, naturally turns into more service, more foot-washing. I’d also say that if you’re growing in your ability to discover, recognize, interpret and choose truth, beauty and goodness, you’re becoming less self-centered and more loving. I’ll say from my own experience that if I’m always giving thanks, it’s much easier to see truth, beauty and goodness. Discovery is how it starts and I don’t think you can do much discovering if you’re focused on your performance.  That would be like burying the talent.

100:2.1 Spiritual progress is predicated on intellectual recognition of spiritual poverty coupled with the self-consciousness of perfection-hunger, the desire to know God and be like him, the wholehearted purpose to do the will of the Father in heaven.

100:2.4 Spirituality becomes at once the indicator of one’s nearness to God and the measure of one’s usefulness to fellow beings. Spirituality enhances the ability to discover beauty in things, recognize truth in meanings, and discover goodness in values. Spiritual development is determined by capacity therefor and is directly proportional to the elimination of the selfish qualities of love.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

I think Jesus may be referring to the emotional arousal of the conscience as the evolutionary gateway to the morontia soul. We are told that while the conscience admonishes us to do right, it is not the voice of the Adjuster to the soul. “Conscience is not a divine voice speaking to the human soul.” (92:2.6) But it does seem that the path to the spirit Adjuster is through the moral conscience; it is the gateway thereto.

Yes, definitely.  The spirits of worship and wisdom are concerned with moral judgment and doing the wise thing. Fear of doing the wrong thing is how religion gets started. It opens the gateway to help from “above”.   Of course, we’re supposed to move from fear to love, from duty to joy of service.  I think that’s the maturing process of spiritual growth and progress.  The incentive for keeping the gateway open may begin with fear, but it quickly moves to perfection hunger once we realize that Deity is contactable, that there really is a divine voice and we recognize him as a loving Father.  Not enough people seem to get past the fear/guilt thing though, but I could be wrong.

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

Backing up to paper 99:1.1 we are informed that if we impose change that reflects our cosmic ignorance that potential evil can be “actualized”.

I am not understanding the reference or the text regarding evil becoming actualized.

Gene
    Participant

Backing up to paper 99:1.1 we are informed that if we impose change that reflects our cosmic ignorance that potential evil can be “actualized”.

I am not understanding the reference or the text regarding evil becoming actualized.

Dang, another quoting snaffu.
    I’ll try again to piece together my thoughts:
    First, to me paper 100 is about growth and progress, the real thing. The quote below is where I get the idea ( my idea, sorry) of the possiblity of actualizing potential evil.
    From 101:3.5
    Change without growth, expansion of meaning and exaltation of value, is valueless—is potential evil

And the quote below gives good example of typical the potential evils we face in modern society: although the author did not use the words “potential evil” I took the liberty of interpreting the given examples that way.
    From 99:1.1
    Mechanical inventions and the dissemination of knowledge are modifying civilization; certain economic adjustments and social changes are imperative if cultural disaster is to be avoided.
    It’s no t too much of a stretch to associate actuated potential evil with cultural disaster is it??

Our goal as religionists should be to grow and bring about progress. Progress that migrated from ourselves to our brothers and sisters. We cannot cause growth but we can supply favorable conditions.
    Real progress follows real growth.
    The self serving phony stuff I tried to explain above and self serving phony growth seems to me to be rampant today. Another way of describing self serving phony growth is the act of actualizing potential evil.
    Sorry if this is confusing.

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

Greetings Gene!!

I do think I understand your point…but I’m going to quibble and split a hair here to add precision in terminology (or add confusion…hahaha) based on the term “actualized”.

It is my understanding that evil/error, sin, and/or iniquity cannot be actualized in reality because it has no reality content.  That which can be eventuated or actualized must come forth from truth, beauty, and goodness.  Evil/error does have localized repercussions and I think that’s what you are talking about….but such repercussions are temporal and not actualized.  That includes all things material as well.

The repercussions of evil and sin are real enough to be sure and are reflected in our personal lives and in society collectively so I don’t mean to dispute that at all.  Thanks for contributing to the discussion and study!

A link to keyword search for actualized OR actualizing:

https://urantia-association.org/search/?zoom_sort=2&zoom_query=actualized+OR+actualizing&zoom_per_page=50&zoom_and=0&zoom_cat%5B%5D=-1

And for actualize:

https://urantia-association.org/search/?zoom_sort=2&zoom_query=actualize&zoom_per_page=50&zoom_and=0&zoom_cat%5B%5D=-1

By the way the terms actualize, actualized, and actualization are very relevant to the Paper and topic being discussed here.  The process of spiritization and Circle Progress (Religion in Human Experience) is to become actualized….from potential to real, from temporal to eternal!!

:good:

104:4.43 [Part III]
    The Conjoint Actor universally integrates the varying functional aspects of all actualized reality on all levels of manifestation, from finites through transcendentals and on to absolutes. The Universal Absolute perfectly compensates the differentials inherent in the varying aspects of all incomplete reality, from the limitless potentialities of active-volitional and causative Deity reality to the boundless possibilities of static, reactive, nondeity reality in the incomprehensible domains of the Unqualified Absolute.

117:5.4 [Part III]
    In the eternal future, God the Supreme will be actualized — creatively expressed and spiritually portrayed — in the spiritualized mind, the immortal soul, of ascendant man, even as the Universal Father was so revealed in the earth life of Jesus.

117:5.6 [Part III]
    The progressing personality leaves a trail of actualized reality as it passes through the ascending levels of the universes. Be they mind, spirit, or energy, the growing creations of time and space are modified by the progression of personality through their domains. When man acts, the Supreme reacts, and this transaction constitutes the fact of progression.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

Here’s a quote which explains actual, or actualized evil:

(1435.6) 130:4.14 Potential evil is inherent in the necessary incompleteness of the revelation of God as a time-space-limited expression of infinity and eternity. The fact of the partial in the presence of the complete constitutes relativity of reality, creates necessity for intellectual choosing, and establishes value levels of spirit recognition and response. The incomplete and finite concept of the Infinite which is held by the temporal and limited creature mind is, in and of itself, potential evil. But the augmenting error of unjustified deficiency in reasonable spiritual rectification of these originally inherent intellectual disharmonies and spiritual insufficiencies, is equivalent to the realization of actual evil.

The word “realization” is important.  Evil can be actualized  but it has no value in reality and therefore is not eternal.  God allows potential evil to persist as an actual according to the laws of mercy.  I think it’s part of evolution of the imperfect to the perfected.

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

Thanks for the clarification Bonita…not sure I understand…but perhaps evil is actualized temporally to fade into the oblivion of non-existence due to not being reality-related in any eternal value or meaning?  I recall that the sin and the sinner are distinct one from another, but the sinner is inherently affected/infected by their own error even by such a distinction…so long as the repercussions are embraced, the evil remains actual?

:-)

100:1.7 (1095.2) Religion cannot be bestowed, received, loaned, learned, or lost. It is a personal experience which grows proportionally to the growing quest for final values. Cosmic growth thus attends on the accumulation of meanings and the ever-expanding elevation of values. But nobility itself is always an unconscious growth.

Me:  This quote really helped me long ago to understand that there is only one true religion – the one lived by each of us – both within and as we walk by.  This truth has led to many very interesting discussions with other religionists – and those who claim to not be religious – in helping break down institutionalized differences which tend to categorize and isolate religionists one from another.  This is, apparently, a near universal belief….no true religion can be defined by beliefs, creeds, doctrines, and ceremonies but only by the individual’s experience and personal expression of the Light Within.  I think this truth is spoken to every mind by the Son’s Spirit….and many have heard it.

Next quotes:

100:1.8 (1095.3) Religious habits of thinking and acting are contributory to the economy of spiritual growth. One can develop religious predispositions toward favorable reaction to spiritual stimuli, a sort of conditioned spiritual reflex. Habits which favor religious growth embrace cultivated sensitivity to divine values, recognition of religious living in others, reflective meditation on cosmic meanings, worshipful problem solving, sharing one’s spiritual life with one’s fellows, avoidance of selfishness, refusal to presume on divine mercy, living as in the presence of God. The factors of religious growth may be intentional, but the growth itself is unvaryingly unconscious.

100:1.9 (1095.4) The unconscious nature of religious growth does not, however, signify that it is an activity functioning in the supposed subconscious realms of human intellect; rather does it signify creative activities in the superconscious levels of mortal mind. The experience of the realization of the reality of unconscious religious growth is the one positive proof of the functional existence of the superconsciousness.

2. Spiritual Growth

100:2.1 (1095.5) Spiritual development depends, first, on the maintenance of a living spiritual connection with true spiritual forces and, second, on the continuous bearing of spiritual fruit: yielding the ministry to one’s fellows of that which has been received from one’s spiritual benefactors. Spiritual progress is predicated on intellectual recognition of spiritual poverty coupled with the self-consciousness of perfection-hunger, the desire to know God and be like him, the wholehearted purpose to do the will of the Father in heaven.

Gene
    Participant

Thank you Brad and Bonita for hanging in with me once again. The quotes really help bring meaning to what I was thinking.

This part of your quote is interesting and sidetracked my thoughts – that seems to happen easily.

104:4.43 [Part III]
    “The Conjoint Actor universally integrates the varying functional aspects of all actualized reality on all levels of manifestation, from finites through transcendentals and on to absolutes. “
    These must be spirit realities and what they do, how they function, no?

First it’s interesting why the author used the word “integrates”. Think about this Taken from paper: 9:1.1 and clipped: “as the Conjoint Actor, he is the joint representative and partnership executive of the Father-Son.”

Why not use the word “unify”? To me, unify introduces personality and the unity that exists in spirit realities and the partnership between conjoint actor and father-son where “integrates” to me is more of an impersonal action that results in unity.

Or possibly they could have referred to him as “the god of action”? also clipped from 9:1.1 As the God of Action, he is the apparent ancestor of motion, change, and relationship.

There is a subtle point here I’m missing.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

Thanks for the clarification Bonita…not sure I understand…but perhaps evil is actualized temporally to fade into the oblivion of non-existence due to not being reality-related in any eternal value or meaning?

Yeah, that’s essentially it.  Evil is only potential until it is actualized by free-will choice.  But not being a reality, actualized evil does not resonate in the Supreme nor having any lasting value. It cannot be realitized even though it has been actualized.  Repercussions of evil play themselves out like ripples in a pond from a flung stone. They’re destined to die out.  Those in the vicinity of evil must deal with the ripples, unfortunately.  And that’s why forgiveness is so important, I think.  Instead of making bigger waves, we’re supposed to forgive, forget and allow it all to settle down with time. Or better yet, cancel it out with some genuine goodness if possible.  I think that’s like creating a premature shoreline for the ripples and waves to peter out. Of course, if it’s a big wave, it can come crashing down on you, like it did on Jesus that fateful Friday.  What a masterful piece of forgiveness that was.  It cancelled out a tidal wave of evil. Kaboom!

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

There is a subtle point here I’m missing.

I wish I could help you but I have no idea what you’re talking about.  I’ll take a stab at it.

Actualized reality is not the same as actualized evil.  Actualized reality resonates in the Supreme as truth, beauty and goodness. Actualized evil does not. It kerplops like a dud, making a huge mess.

In general, I believe it is safe to say: selfhood is unified; reality is integrated.  Integration has to do with reality relations. Personality unifies the integrated and coordinated relationships that are part of its reality.  Integrate first then unify . . . I think.

(1227.7) 112:1.17 But the concept of the personality as the meaning of the whole of the living and functioning creature means much more than the integration of relationships; it signifies the unification of all factors of reality as well as co-ordination of relationships. . . .

(1227.8) 112:1.18 In the human organism the summation of its parts constitutes selfhood — individuality — but such a process has nothing whatever to do with personality, which is the unifier of all these factors as related to cosmic realities.

Also, God the Spirit is known as the Universal Integrator (0:2.14).  Which is why I think they tell us that we work out the details of our day-to-day living with the Creative Spirit and her team.  She integrates all of it for us.

(66.1) 5:3.5 When you deal with the practical affairs of your daily life, you are in the hands of the spirit personalities having origin in the Third Source and Center; you are co-operating with the agencies of the Conjoint Actor. And so it is: You worship God; pray to, and commune with, the Son; and work out the details of your earthly sojourn in connection with the intelligences of the Infinite Spirit operating on your world and throughout your universe.

Gene
    Participant

Thanks for the clarification Bonita…not sure I understand…but perhaps evil is actualized temporally to fade into the oblivion of non-existence due to not being reality-related in any eternal value or meaning?

Yeah, that’s essentially it. Evil is only potential until it is actualized by free-will choice. But not being a reality, actualized evil does not resonate in the Supreme nor having any lasting value. It cannot be realitized even though it has been actualized. Repercussions of evil play themselves out like ripples in a pond from a flung stone. They’re destined to die out. Those in the vicinity of evil must deal with the ripples, unfortunately. And that’s why forgiveness is so important, I think. Instead of making bigger waves, we’re supposed to forgive, forget and allow it all to settle down with time. Or better yet, cancel it out with some genuine goodness if possible. I think that’s like creating a premature shoreline for the ripples and waves to peter out. Of course, if it’s a big wave, it can come crashing down on you, like it did on Jesus that fateful Friday. What a masterful piece of forgiveness that was. It cancelled out a tidal wave of evil. Kaboom!

It may take a long time but I know that the teachings of Jesus will be the goal of humanity at some point in our evolution. Whatever evils may come our way cannot compete in the long run.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 235 total)

Login to reply to this topic.

Not registered? Sign up here.