Questions about the Urantia reserve corps of destiny

Home Forums Urantia Book General Discussions Questions about the Urantia reserve corps of destiny

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Shoulda, coulda, woulda. But to me this topic is not about playing a guessing game about betting about who is or who is not a reservist. Worldwide, people do know who the Pope is, but worldwide – the audience of this forum – few know who is Alan Turing. Name dropping is a distraction in my opinion.

I assume “Mara” that you know who “Alan Turing” was, or maybe you don’t see a lot of movies, where one recent Movie (The Imitation Game) was one of many theatrical productions in his behalf.  If one knows a little more about Him, you might understand that he was a genius, but with many individuals who are categorized this way also have issues which others do not always understand as being a byproduct of their enhanced intellect.  There are some people who fit this category but are less acceptable in society because they have been classified as “idiot sevaunts” where “Alan Turing” was not so called but there are others who have high intellects but they have been a product of what can be considered today as have forms of autism, yet are able to interact in society, albeit with understanding that they have limitations.  Not all of us can fall into what is considered as being normal behavior, but those who may be considered as being less than normal, even though brilliant in areas otherwise less known, should receive the same compassion as others who may ware an obvious label.  So, not everyone thinks or presents them self the same way but who knows, they might be another “Alan Turing.”

So, it could really be relevant to this subject that if one compares the UB’s criteria for being in the reserve corps of destiny, “Alan Turing” could actual have been one?  What are your thoughts? Better yet, if yes, maybe “VanAmadon” can share why he associates “Alan Turing” with a reservist?

Gene
    Participant

Do you guys remember this quote:

Yes

Van Amadon
    Van Amadon
    Participant

So, it could really be relevant to this subject that if one compares the UB’s criteria for being in the reserve corps of destiny, “Alan Turning” could actual have been one? What are your thoughts? Better yet, if yes, maybe “VanAmadon” can share why he associates “Alan Turning” with a reservist?

Without what Alan Turing did, basically invent the first digital computer, which allowed the Allies to decipher the German codes, the war would have probably lasted a lot longer.

Not to mention how significant his invention of the computer has impacted life as we know it.

Gene
    Participant

Do you really think computers have had a positive impact on civilization?

i would prefer nature to program my grand kids brains and there is part of me that can see a degenerating civilization that may have been better off speaking german or Japanese

do you think the most highs take sides in our insane squabbles? I have a very difficult time with that idea and I admit that I cannot see the big picture

Van Amadon
    Van Amadon
    Participant

Do you really think computers have had a positive impact on civilization?

I thought about that. Whether computers have been good or bad. Of course, it’s both. Just like so many other things we have at our disposal.

Van Amadon
    Van Amadon
    Participant

Do you guys remember this quote:

Yes

I just got that. That’s pretty funny.

tas
    Participant

And of course it can’t be true that they don’t have to have higher spiritual attainment by the very quote you provided:

114:7.2 All reservists have self-conscious Adjusters, and most of them function in the higher cosmic circles of intellectual achievement and spiritual attainment.

Most function in the higher cosmic circles. What are the higher cosmic circles? Psychic circles 3 and above. And what does the word “most” mean? It means nearly all. We know that there are always exceptions, but nearly all means nearly all.

I don’t agree that “most” is “nearly all”.  The writers are fine at expressing “nearly all” when it’s what they would like to say. For example in 26:8.4, or how in 114:7 the writers want us to know that just about all reservists are unaware they are trained to be reservists, and so they say it plainly.  The word “most” only tells us its a majority, nothing more.  As Bradley often points out, the book says what it says and doesn’t say what it doesn’t say.  The book doesn’t say “nearly all” reservists function in the higher cosmic circles of intellectual achievement and spiritual attainment.  While a majority do, I think it’s notable that potentially a decent number of reservists aren’t the spiritual equivalents of Olympic athletes the way it seems people tend to think about them.

I agree that the human definition of being “extraordinary” is not the same definition the celestials use. Look at the sleeping subject, he was essentially a nobody and the celestials deemed him to be extraordinary.

Great example, thanks.  (And really, the only example of a reservist that can be discussed I think, since who else can credibly be pointed to as one.)  I think inextricably a significant part of the sleeping subject’s “extraordinary” status to the celestials was that he was on the temporal stage of action in Chicago, IL in the early 20th century and not somewhere else in the world.  Before a person even can become a reservist they have to “appear on the stage of temporal action” (114:7.1).  (Maybe that could be interpreted so broadly that “stage of temporal action” is taken to mean “anywhere”,  the whole world being the stage, but I don’t think so.  Reservists seem to be for applying select amounts of spiritual action in select places where it makes the most difference.)  If an individual isn’t even on a stage of action that has to do with plans where a reservist would be needed, how could they be used as a reservist?  Even if he or she might otherwise fit the profile of being one, there wouldn’t be a use.

We don’t know if they were reservists per se, but a similar example to my mind is how Mary and Joseph were chosen to be the earth parents of Jesus. Their selection was only partially because of who they were as individuals but also because of when they lived and where they lived.

And think of how Mary was selected to be Jesus’ mother but wasn’t even able to advance spiritually so far as to see his mission accurately.  But she fulfilled her task of raising him despite her shortcomings.  It’s not hard for me to envision that reservists are a lot more like Mary than squads of A-team spirituality paragons.

We also know that reservists are considered “forward-looking”, meaning that they are growing and progressing individuals, which is more than just “good enough” at the “right time and right place”. These are individuals skilled enough to prevent the breakdown of culture and the extinction of the light of truth. That’s pretty lofty stuff.

Just as important an ingredient to being a reservist is that they are for “crucial positions on earth” (114:7.8).  Based on other quotes in the book about “forward-looking” individuals, I don’t really see that “forward-looking” in itself is so rare an attribute that it’s what sets reservists apart from others.  There are a lot of forward-looking individuals.  (How else could we be “quivering on the very brink” of one of our world’s “most amazing and enthralling epochs of social readjustment, moral quickening, and spiritual enlightenment”? (195:9.2))

There are other parts of your post I’d love to address but am out of time at the moment, maybe another time.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant
    tas wrote: I don’t agree that “most” is “nearly all”.
    I guess we’ll have to disagree about that.  If the majority is 51-99%, it seems you’re assuming that “most” is closer to 51% than 99%.  I think the number of reservists in the higher cosmic circles is much higher than 51%, and therefore much closer to “nearly all”.  But it is a matter of personal opinion and neither of us will know in this lifetime which definition is more accurate.  I am comfortable thinking that only a few are 4th, 5th, or 6th circlers, if that low.  I can’t imagine a 7th circler being a reservist, but I suppose it is possible and there are always exceptions, it seems.
    tas wrote: While a majority do, I think it’s notable that potentially a decent number of reservists aren’t the spiritual equivalents of Olympic athletes the way it seems people tend to think about them.
    I don’t think of a 3rd or 2nd circler as an Olympian or a spiritual paragon; I think they’re quite human, still capable of error.  I also think we’re all expected to reach at least the third circle by the end of our life here on earth.  At least we all (meaning believers in the ascension plan) strive to get to the mansion worlds immediately after death.  I personally don’t think a third circler is a spiritual wizard or walks on water.  It simply means that an individual has attained a certain degree of self-understanding and self-mastery, and I don’t think it’s such a high a bar that an average person can’t achieve it if he/she desires.  So, being that reservists are in a higher cosmic circle achievable by average folk, what would indicate that they’re an elite group of spiritual paragons?  I think it merely indicates a level of dedication to God’s will which doesn’t take a great deal of muscle, just will-power and loyalty.  Mostly loyalty.
    tas wrote:  I think inextricably a significant part of the sleeping subject’s “extraordinary” status to the celestials was that he was on the temporal stage of action in Chicago, IL in the early 20th century and not somewhere else in the world.

I’ll have to disagree with that too.  The celestials thought the sleeping subject was extraordinary because he was completely unaffected by the goings on of his Adjuster. It was not his position on the planet that made him so extraordinary, it was his ability to allow his Adjuster to have such a wide range of activity.  And this brings me back to my point, that reservists work on morontia levels.  Their physical presence is not that important to their work.  In the case of the sleeping subject, Sadler was brought to the sleeping subject, not the other way around.

110:5.7The Adjuster of the human being through whom this communication is being made enjoys such a wide scope of activity chiefly because of this human’s almost complete indifference to any outward manifestations of the Adjuster’s inner presence; it is indeed fortunate that he remains consciously quite unconcerned about the entire procedure. He holds one of the highly experienced Adjusters of his day and generation, and yet his passive reaction to, and inactive concern toward, the phenomena associated with the presence in his mind of this versatile Adjuster is pronounced by the guardian of destiny to be a rare and fortuitous reaction. And all this constitutes a favorable co-ordination of influences, favorable both to the Adjuster in the higher sphere of action and to the human partner from the standpoints of health, efficiency, and tranquillity.

tas wrote:  Before a person even can become a reservist they have to “appear on the stage of temporal action” (114:7.1).  (Maybe that could be interpreted so broadly that “stage of temporal action” is taken to mean “anywhere”,  the whole world being the stage, but I don’t think so.  Reservists seem to be for applying select amounts of spiritual action in select places where it makes the most difference.) If an individual isn’t even on a stage of action that has to do with plans where a reservist would be needed, how could they be used as a reservist?  Even if he or she might otherwise fit the profile of being one, there wouldn’t be a use.
    No, I don’t think so.  That would be true if reservists had to be physically present in order to do their work, but they don’t.  The morontia level can be accessed from anywhere with the help of midwayers and celestials who live on that plane of existence, and of course, the Adjuster, which his why having a self-acting Adjuster indwelling a reservist is so important, and why most would be at least in the 3rd cosmic circle. A self-acting Adjuster can go anywhere, and a reservist’s soul can go with him if necessary.  The soul is capable of a separate existence, and I believe it can separate, with midwayer assistance, from the parental material mind in order to accomplish its task.  A reservist can be anywhere on earth and do his/her job.
    You’re right that we don’t know if Joseph and Mary were reservists, just like we don’t know if John the Baptist or any of the apostles were. Although, we have to assume they had special celestial attention while on the world stage.  And since we don’t know their reservist status, we can’t use them as examples of reservists.  However, we do know that a highly experienced Adjuster within one single human mind can influence the entire planet, reservist or not, and this is why we’re “quivering on the brink”.
    109:4.5 I have observed a Thought Adjuster indwelling a mind on Urantia who has, according to the records on Uversa, indwelt fifteen minds previously in Orvonton. We do not know whether this Monitor has had similar experiences in other superuniverses, but I suspect so. This is a marvelous Adjuster and one of the most useful and potent forces on Urantia during this present age. What others have lost, in that they refused to survive, this human being (and your whole world) now gains. From him who has not survival qualities, shall be taken away even that experienced Adjuster which he now has, while to him who has survival prospects, shall be given even the pre-experienced Adjuster of a slothful deserter.
    Thanks for the conversation.  It’s a real treat to have such an intelligent discussion.  Very much appreciate your time and effort to converse.
    Mara
    Mara
    Participant

Last night in study group we ran across some material about self-acting adjusters, as regards their functional classification, in contrast to their experiential classification which brought me back to one of Julian’s references:

(1258.5) 114:7.13 (The cosmic reserve corps of universe-conscious citizens on Urantia now numbers over one thousand mortals whose insight of cosmic citizenship far transcends the sphere of their terrestrial abode, but I am forbidden to reveal the real nature of the function of this unique group of living human beings.)

This is the classification list we found. They tell us a self-acting Adjuster is one who: (109:2.1)

1. Has had certain requisite experience in the evolving life of a will creature, either as a temporary indweller on a type of world where Adjusters are only loaned to mortal subjects or on an actual fusion planet where the human failed of survival. Such a Monitor is either an advanced or a supreme Adjuster.

2. Has acquired the balance of spiritual power in a human who has made the third psychic circle and has had assigned to him a personal seraphic guardian.

3. Has a subject who has made the supreme decision, has entered into a solemn and sincere betrothal with the Adjuster. The Adjuster looks beforehand to the time of actual fusion and reckons the union as an event of fact.

4. Has a subject who has been mustered into one of the reserve corps of destiny on an evolutionary world of mortal ascension.

5. At some time, during human sleep, has been temporarily detached from the mind of mortal incarceration to perform some exploit of liaison, contact, reregistration, or other extrahuman service associated with the spiritual administration of the world of assignment. [We couldn’t discern why they would need  *reregistration*.]

6. Has served in a time of crisis in the experience of some human being who was the material complement of a spirit personality intrusted with the enactment of some cosmic achievement essential to the spiritual economy of the planet. [Perhaps the function of Melchizedek fits this classification, as a *material complement of a spirit personality*.]

This has added more to my understanding of these Adjusters.

André
    André
    Participant

Interesting subject Julian.

Julian, thanks for kindly wishes for new year. Inspiring me share as well : peaceful, safe and reflective my beloved brotherhood [agreeing or not point of view] through this forum.

the sleeping subject …  He must have been aware of something peculiar, but he didn’t give a damn (ego uninvolved). Bonita #23781

The Adjuster of the human being through whom this communication is being made enjoys such a wide scope of activity chiefly because of this human’s almost complete indifference to any outward manifestations of the Adjuster’s inner presence; it is indeed fortunate that he remains consciously quite unconcerned about the entire procedure. 110:5.7

I’ll bet that reservists never become aware that they ever functioned as such. VanAmadon #23789

Logically, it’s seems here VanAmadon when he was use to do the task, he was asleep (unconscious) but when wake-up (conscious) feel unconcerned (insensitive,untroubled,inattentive).

http://www.urantia.org/billsadler-talks/comments-destiny-reservists

p.s.  ¹9²:².¹ ” ______ , do you love me?” And when John answered, “Yes, Master, with all my heart,” the Master said: “Then, _____ , give up your intolerance and learn to love men as I have loved you. Devote your life to proving that love is the greatest thing in the world and in this forum. It is the love of God that impels men to seek salvation. Love is the ancestor of all spiritual goodness, the essence of the true and the beautiful.”

Why saddens VanAmadon soul?

Don’t we forget, he is beloved by our Father.

markondek
    Participant

Hello

about cosmic reservists;

55:3.18 (626.7) 5. Mortals of Adjuster-fusion status who, upon their own petition, are temporarily exempted from translation by the order of the Personalized Adjuster of universe chieftainship in order that they may continue on the planet in certain important administrative posts.

or… extraterrestrials stemmed from advanced worlds , anyway is just a speculation.

Hugs

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

Hello

about cosmic reservists;

55:3.18 (626.7) 5. Mortals of Adjuster-fusion status who, upon their own petition, are temporarily exempted from translation by the order of the Personalized Adjuster of universe chieftainship in order that they may continue on the planet in certain important administrative posts.

or… extraterrestrials stemmed from advanced worlds , anyway is just a speculation. Hugs

Greetings markondeck!  Welcome to the Forum and thank you for refreshing this most interesting topic and discussion!

As to your speculation:  By definition (IMO) an extraterrestrial is not any form of celestial or morontial being – but is all the other mortal born and planet-of-birth mortal residents of the trillions of material, evolutionary worlds in the time and space universes that are not on Urantia (we are considered extraterrestrial by all the other terrestrials on their own home worlds of birth).  Therefore, the only way for a terrestrial, from any material/mortal world, to leave their/our own world are 3:  death, translation, and space ship.

Based on the contents of the UB I am very skeptical of alien/extraterrestrial visitations to our world or any other.  I did not believe this current view of mine prior to my studies of the UB and felt the ET/UFO movement merely reflected the reality that we are certainly not alone in the universe as the only mortal indwelt sphere in time and space.  But study infers otherwise…no world is open to alien spacecraft and/or interference or influence upon the Mortal Epochs of any other world (even though there are trillions of other mortal/evolutionary worlds indeed).

So I think your speculation is not a possibility….each world has its own mortal born resident Reserve Corps and they operate on each world according to the direction of the planetary rulers/servants (celestials and Spirit) of each world.

An interesting group of mortal ascenders who do visit and serve as corporeal residents on every world are those who volunteer, prior to fusion, and from the System HQ’s, to work as the material staff of each Planetary Prince….but these are neither extraterrestrials or reservists.  And there are, as I recall, mortal ascenders, now in morontial body, who may visit evolutionary spheres as students – but who do not act or serve as any evolutionary agent upon any material worlds visited as student.

I appreciate you joining in and sharing your thoughts and wonderments regarding the UB!

;-)

André
    André
    Participant

Welcome Markondek,

I agreed with Bradley concerning interference from physical extra-terresterial individuals.

Each of those extra-terresterial planets at large have Planetary Prince and an Adam and Eve in charge … soooo being in quarantine + semi-civilized conditions, I do not tbink physical mortal being are allowed.

So. What did I think about the circus about intra/extra terresterial?

Primo, Jésus was mute about that. He point to us the main concerns to stick to.

• Look for doing the will of God.
    • Brotherhood among us.

He told us we live in a friendly univers.

When you give a ear to circus propaganda, it is always mixed with unfriendly individuals in a unfriendly universe.

I do not said ufo bla bla bla do not exist and if a “flying saucer” pass in front of my window tonight … I won’t be insecure because I know be “in God’s hands”.

130:5.3. My tomorrow is wholly in the hands of my Father in heaven.” 

markondek
    Participant

Hello Bradly and André

Is that part about non-respirators, leaves me in doubt about it;

49:3.6 (564.2) You would be more than interested in the planetary conduct of this type of mortal because such a race of beings inhabits a sphere in close proximity to Urantia.

Revelators stimulate this contact with our cosmic brothers

in this case of course  :-)

Hugs of Brazil

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

Yes…a very intriguing quote!!  However, the non-breather worlds are also subject to their own Prince, Adam and Eve, and mortal epochal progress including their own Reservists.

I wonder what ‘close proximity’ means to the author?  How big is the neighborhood in question?

Don’t know about stimulating contact…..but it is exciting to know how grand and populated are the universes of time and space!!  So much to look forward to……adventure ahead!!  And the greatest of all adventures here and now….knowing God and embracing Love…circle progress.  Good to be a tadpole!

:good:

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 63 total)

Login to reply to this topic.

Not registered? Sign up here.