Questions about the Urantia reserve corps of destiny

Home Forums Urantia Book General Discussions Questions about the Urantia reserve corps of destiny

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    Julian
    Julian
    Participant

I have just been reading about the Urantia reserve corps of destiny in Paper 114, Section 7. I am puzzled by several statements in this section and I would welcome any views from readers that might help me get a better understanding of this topic.

To begin with, in paragraph 8 it states clearly that the twelve groups of Urantia destiny reservists now consists of 962 persons. But later in paragraph 13 it states that the cosmic reserve corps of universe-conscious citizens on Urantia now numbers over one thousand mortals. Are these two statements referring to the same group? If so, why do the numbers differ? If not, in what ways are these two groups different?

I have a couple more questions but I might just pause here to allow others to have a say. Here are the paragraphs in full:

(1257.8) 114:7.8 The twelve groups of Urantia destiny reservists are composed of mortal inhabitants of the sphere who have been rehearsed for numerous crucial positions on earth and are held in readiness to act in possible planetary emergencies. This combined corps now consists of 962 persons. The smallest corps numbers 41 and the largest 172. With the exception of less than a score of contact personalities, the members of this unique group are wholly unconscious of their preparation for possible function in certain planetary crises. These mortal reservists are chosen by the corps to which they are respectively attached and are likewise trained and rehearsed in the deep mind by the combined technique of Thought Adjuster and seraphic guardian ministry. Many times numerous other celestial personalities participate in this unconscious training, and in all this special preparation the midwayers perform valuable and indispensable services.

(1258.5) 114:7.13 (The cosmic reserve corps of universe-conscious citizens on Urantia now numbers over one thousand mortals whose insight of cosmic citizenship far transcends the sphere of their terrestrial abode, but I am forbidden to reveal the real nature of the function of this unique group of living human beings.)

I look forward to reading your comments.

With thanks,

Julian

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

Greetings Julian…a most interesting observation and topic for consideration!

Based on the wording, I would think two different groups are being described, with one group fairly well defined (and numbered at that time, long before publication) and the other group with a different name and an undisclosed “real nature of the function” of this “unique” corps.

My humble tadpole’s opinion would speculate that the first group is a “hands-on” group with the potential to provide either fulcrum or lever to the material progress as needed and directed by those in whose hands the planetary mortal epochal progress is given.  I would offer the opinion that the second group may be more engaged in planetary “thinking” – the leadership of thought related to planetary evolutionary progression with the intellectualization of concepts (conceptualization), problem solving material challenges, and related “critical-thinking” regarding science, religion, and philosophy…especially the harmonization and integration of these 3 primary forms of thought.  Evolution requires (I think) that original thinking and inspired thinking and revealed thinking become integrated into society – whether through academia, religious authority, or other forms of “broadcast” these potent seeds of change.  The process and time required for the seeds thusly sown to sprouting and maturity requires time….more time than the mortal life provides.

Still, these seeds of evolutionary progressive “thinking” are a critical tool for the planetary up-lifters I would think.

So, perhaps, the one group are doers and the other are thinkers?  The first are most likely engaged as-needed but the second is guided as an on-going evolutionary resource?

Just thinking out loud…..  = )

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant
    Bradly wrote:  So, perhaps, the one group are doers and the other are thinkers?

Doesn’t consciousness of cosmic citizenship require both thinking and doing?

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant
    Bradly wrote: So, perhaps, the one group are doers and the other are thinkers?

Doesn’t consciousness of cosmic citizenship require both thinking and doing?

Indeed!!  The expression of the thinking is the doing – perhaps.  I am aware I am reaching here…pure speculation on my part.  = )

Gene
    Participant

The other option is the authors are describing the same group of beings that grew over time? But don’t you think that would be worthy of an explanation?

Mara
    Mara
    Participant

(1258.5) 114:7.13 (The cosmic reserve corps of universe-conscious citizens on Urantia now numbers over one thousand mortals whose insight of cosmic citizenship far transcends the sphere of their terrestrial abode, but I am forbidden to reveal the real nature of the function of this unique group of living human beings.)

Another mystery! I think Bradly is right – there are two different groups.  The revelator is “forbidden” to reveal the real nature of the function of this unique group, numbering over 1,000 persons in 1934.  I am guessing the number of persons having such transcendent insight of cosmic citizenship has increased, since the advent of the dissemination of the teachings of the Urantia Book worldwide.  These people know we live in a friendly universe.

2:7.10  The religious challenge of this age is to those farseeing and forward-looking men and women of spiritual insight who will dare to construct a new and appealing philosophy of living out of the enlarged and exquisitely integrated modern concepts of cosmic truth, universe beauty, and divine goodness. Such a new and righteous vision of morality will attract all that is good in the mind of man and challenge that which is best in the human soul. Truth, beauty, and goodness are divine realities, and as man ascends the scale of spiritual living, these supreme qualities of the Eternal become increasingly co-ordinated and unified in God, who is love.
    Maybe these are people who have succeeded to put forth the strenuous efforts to do cosmic problem solving while living here on earth.
    100:4.2  Religious perplexities are inevitable; there can be no growth without psychic conflict and spiritual agitation. The organization of a philosophic standard of living entails considerable commotion in the philosophic realms of the mind. Loyalties are not exercised in behalf of the great, the good, the true, and the noble without a struggle. Effort is attendant upon clarification of spiritual vision and enhancement of cosmic insight. And the human intellect protests against being weaned from subsisting upon the nonspiritual energies of temporal existence. The slothful animal mind rebels at the effort required to wrestle with cosmic problem solving.
    Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

To begin with, in paragraph 8 it states clearly that the twelve groups of Urantia destiny reservists now consists of 962 persons. But later in paragraph 13 it states that the cosmic reserve corps of universe-conscious citizens on Urantia now numbers over one thousand mortals. Are these two statements referring to the same group? If so, why do the numbers differ? If not, in what ways are these two groups different?

Do you think that all destiny reservists are “universe-conscious”?

Julian
    Julian
    Participant

I want to thank all of you who responded so promptly to my question.

Do you think that all destiny reservists are “universe-conscious”?

That’s an interesting question Bonita. After reading section 7 numerous times I’m inclined to answer ‘no’. The cosmic reserve corps of universe-conscious citizens seem to be focused on the cosmic perspective, far beyond the affairs of Urantia. The Urantia reserve corps of destiny appear to be concerned with the problems and advancement of our planet. They are preoccupied with “planetary difficulties” and “impending world emergency situations”. The fact that paragraph 13 of section 7 is enclosed in brackets is also significant I believe. It suggests to me that the author is giving us an aside….a reference to a different group in contrast to the 962 members of the Urantia destiny reservists. The bulk of the content of section 7 is describing the roles and functions of this group whereas the author makes it clear that he is “forbidden to reveal the real nature of the function of this unique group of living human beings”.

What do you think Bonita?

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant
    Julian wrote:  What do you think Bonita?

I think they’re different groups.  One group is “wholly unconscious” and planet-focused; the other group is “universe-conscious” with a focus that transcends the planet.

Mara
    Mara
    Participant

My idea is that those who are not in the reserve corps of destiny are not unconsciously prepared for possible function in certain planetary crises.

114:7.8  The twelve groups of Urantia destiny reservists are composed of mortal inhabitants of the sphere who have been rehearsed for numerous crucial positions on earth and are held in readiness to act in possible planetary emergencies. This combined corps now consists of 962 persons. The smallest corps numbers 41 and the largest 172. With the exception of less than a score of contact personalities, the members of this unique group are wholly unconscious of their preparation for possible function in certain planetary crises. These mortal reservists are chosen by the corps to which they are respectively attached and are likewise trained and rehearsed in the deep mind by the combined technique of Thought Adjuster and seraphic guardian ministry. Many times numerous other celestial personalities participate in this unconscious training, and in all this special preparation the midwayers perform valuable and indispensable services.
    They function in other realms of human endeavor such as science, philosophy, religion, art in contrast to functioning in the realms of government for example where “the Most Highs rule in the kingdom of men”. (43:9.4 ) (114:6.8)
    Maybe they have supreme or self-acting Adjustors.

109:5.1  Supreme and self-acting Adjusters are often able to contribute factors of spiritual import to the human mind when it flows freely in the liberated but controlled channels of creative imagination. At such times, and sometimes during sleep, the Adjuster is able to arrest the mental currents, to stay the flow, and then to divert the idea procession; and all this is done in order to effect deep spiritual transformations in the higher recesses of the superconsciousness. Thus are the forces and energies of mind more fully adjusted to the key of the contactual tones of the spiritual level of the present and the future.

I do not think either of the groups of humans are focused on matters pertaining to non-Urantia affairs. I do think both groups care deeply about Urantia affairs and its progressive  evolution. Both groups in my opinion of necessity would be in important places or positions in society to have an effect on groups of individuals in the present and for the future.  One such person might be the Pope.  I’m just guessing.
    Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

Curiosity might urge one to ask the question, “Who are the folks on this planet who are most likely to be universe-conscious?” Universe consciousness is something that happens on supermaterial levels of experience which can transcend the “sphere of one’s terrestrial abode”. My guess is that those who have attained the first psychic circle have the best chance of universe consciousness and insight into supermaterial levels of experience.

Here are some possibly pertinent quotes:

180:5.3 Truth is a spiritual reality value experienced only by spirit-endowed beings who function upon supermaterial levels of universe consciousness, and who, after the realization of truth, permit its spirit of activation to live and reign within their souls.

110:6.20 From the seventh to the third circle there occurs increased and unified action of the seven adjutant mind-spirits in the task of weaning the mortal mind from its dependence on the realities of the material life mechanisms preparatory to increased introduction to morontia levels of experience. From the third circle onward the adjutant influence progressively diminishes.

110:6.21 The seven circles embrace mortal experience extending from the highest purely animal level to the lowest actual contactual morontia level of self-consciousness as a personality experience. The mastery of the first cosmic circle signalizes the attainment of premorontia mortal maturity and marks the termination of the conjoint ministry of the adjutant mind-spirits as an exclusive influence of mind action in the human personality. Beyond the first circle, mind becomes increasingly akin to the intelligence of the morontia stage of evolution, the conjoined ministry of the cosmic mind and the superadjutant endowment of the Creative Spirit of a local universe.

110:7.1  The achievement of the seven cosmic circles does not equal Adjuster fusion. There are many mortals living on Urantia who have attained their circles; but fusion depends on yet other greater and more sublime spiritual achievements, upon the attainment of a final and complete attunement of the mortal will with the will of God as it is resident in the Thought Adjuster.

112:6.9 The soul of survival value faithfully reflects both the qualitative and the quantitative actions and motivations of the material intellect, the former seat of the identity of selfhood. In the choosing of truth, beauty, and goodness, the mortal mind enters upon its premorontia universe career under the tutelage of the seven adjutant mind-spirits unified under the direction of the spirit of wisdom. Subsequently, upon the completion of the seven circles of premorontia attainment, the superimposition of the endowment of morontia mind upon adjutant mind initiates the prespiritual or morontia career of local universe progression.

114:7.2 When human beings are chosen as protectors of planetary destiny, when they become pivotal individuals in the plans which the world administrators are prosecuting, at that time the planetary chief of seraphim confirms their temporal attachment to the seraphic corps and appoints personal destiny guardians to serve with these mortal reservists. All reservists have self-conscious Adjusters, and most of them function in the higher cosmic circles of intellectual achievement and spiritual attainment.

Julian
    Julian
    Participant

“All reservists have self-conscious Adjusters, and most of them function in the higher cosmic circles of intellectual achievement and spiritual attainment.”

I presume “self-conscious Adjusters” are the same as self-acting Adjusters. The term only appears once in the entire book.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

I presume “self-conscious Adjusters” are the same as self-acting Adjusters. The term only appears once in the entire book.

I concur.

Mara
    Mara
    Participant

“. . .On Urantia these reservists of destiny have seldom been emblazoned on the pages of human history.” (114:7.9)

Anonymous
    Inactive

I believe that a “self-conscious Adjuster” is a “self-acting Adjuster” however, there is a difference between the two only in the way that they have or have not been able to communicate with their host subject?  It indicates in the UB that a “destiny reservist” either has both of these “Adjusters” or that they all have a “self-acting Adjuster” who can make contact with their subject, but because there can be problems with inter-communication between the two as is mentioned in the following UB narrations, that it might indicate that the “self-conscious Adjuster” has a mutual contact with their subject, where they are conscious of each other.  This would be different from a subject who have Spirit- or Son- fused with their subject, where they would act more like a personalized adjuster.

(1207.6) 110:4.6 For many thousands of years, so the records of Jerusem show, in each generation there have lived fewer and fewer beings who could function safely with self-acting Adjusters. This is an alarming picture, and the supervising personalities of Satania look with favor upon the proposals of some of your more immediate planetary supervisors who advocate the inauguration of measures designed to foster and conserve the higher spiritual types of the Urantia races.

(1213.5) 110:7.10 During the making and breaking of a contact between the mortal mind of a destiny reservist and the planetary supervisors, sometimes the indwelling Adjuster is so situated that it becomes possible to transmit a message to the mortal partner. Not long since, on Urantia, such a message was transmitted by a self-acting Adjuster to the human associate, a member of the reserve corps of destiny. This message was introduced by these words: [. . .]

This would indicate that someone who is in the “reserve corps of destiny” might not be aware of or conscious of their Adjuster, where having a “self-acting Adjuster” is based on the the ability to safely function with one.

Also, to be self-conscious, or have self-consciousness, would also imply that you are God-conscious thereby being more able to be aware of your Adjuster, and safely communicate with said Adjuster.

(196.5) 16:9.9 Self-consciousness is in essence a communal consciousness: God and man, Father and son, Creator and creature. In human self-consciousness four universe-reality realizations are latent and inherent:

(196.6) 16:9.10 1. The quest for knowledge, the logic of science.

(196.7) 16:9.11 2. The quest for moral values, the sense of duty.

(196.8) 16:9.12 3. The quest for spiritual values, the religious experience.

(196.9) 16:9.13 4. The quest for personality values, the ability to recognize the reality of God as a personality and the concurrent realization of our fraternal relationship with fellow personalities.

(196.10) 16:9.14 You become conscious of man as your creature brother because you are already conscious of God as your Creator Father. Fatherhood is the relationship out of which we reason ourselves into the recognition of brotherhood. And Fatherhood becomes, or may become, a universe reality to all moral creatures because the Father has himself bestowed personality upon all such beings and has encircuited them within the grasp of the universal personality circuit. We worship God, first, because he is, then, because he is in us, and last, because we are in him.

Not to mention that I have been aware of someone who I interacted with who must of had a self-conscious Adjuster, in order to have been able to interact with me in the manor that they did.  They were aware of an action after the fact and prior to me having confirmed this interaction. Therefore, the individual must have been aware of their Adjuster and how that Adjuster interacted with me because they told me of the interaction after the fact, and knew that I was suspicious of their association with me.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 63 total)

Login to reply to this topic.

Not registered? Sign up here.