Paper 191 – APPEARANCES TO THE APOSTLES AND OTHER LEADERS

Home Forums Online Urantia Book Study Groups One Page a Day Study Group (OPAD) Paper 191 – APPEARANCES TO THE APOSTLES AND OTHER LEADERS

Étiqueté : 

15 sujets de 1 à 15 (sur un total de 25)
  • Auteur
    Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant

Welcome to The OPAD Online Study Session

Today’s Presentation

Paper 191 – Appearances to the Apostles and Other Leaders

[INTRODUCTION]

RESURRECTION Sunday was a terrible day in the lives of the apostles; ten of them spent the larger part of the day in the upper chamber behind barred doors. They might have fled from Jerusalem, but they were afraid of being arrested by the agents of the Sanhedrin if they were found abroad. Thomas was brooding over his troubles alone at Bethpage. He would have fared better had he remained with his fellow apostles, and he would have aided them to direct their discussions along more helpful lines.

(2037.2)191:0.2 All day long John upheld the idea that Jesus had risen from the dead. He recounted no less than five different times when the Master had affirmed he would rise again and at least three times when he alluded to the third day. John’s attitude had considerable influence on them, especially on his brother James and on Nathaniel. John would have influenced them more if he had not been the youngest member of the group.

(2037.3)191:0.3 Their isolation had much to do with their troubles. John Mark kept them in touch with developments about the temple and informed them as to the many rumors gaining headway in the city, but it did not occur to him to gather up news from the different groups of believers to whom Jesus had already appeared. That was the kind of service which had heretofore been rendered by the messengers of David, but they were all absent on their last assignment as heralds of the resurrection to those groups of believers who dwelt remote from Jerusalem. For the first time in all these years the apostles realized how much they had been dependent on David’s messengers for their daily information regarding the affairs of the kingdom.

(2037.4)191:0.4 All this day Peter characteristically vacillated emotionally between faith and doubt concerning the Master’s resurrection. Peter could not get away from the sight of the grave cloths resting there in the tomb as if the body of Jesus had just evaporated from within. “But,” reasoned Peter, “if he has risen and can show himself to the women, why does he not show himself to us, his apostles?” Peter would grow sorrowful when he thought that maybe Jesus did not come to them on account of his presence among the apostles, because he had denied him that night in Annas’s courtyard. And then would he cheer himself with the word brought by the women, “Go tell my apostles — and Peter.” But to derive encouragement from this message implied that he must believe that the women had really seen and heard the risen Master. Thus Peter alternated between faith and doubt throughout the whole day, until a little after eight o’clock, when he ventured out into the courtyard. Peter thought to remove himself from among the apostles so that he might not prevent Jesus’ coming to them because of his denial of the Master.

(2037.5)191:0.5 James Zebedee at first advocated that they all go to the tomb; he was strongly in favor of doing something to get to the bottom of the mystery. It was Nathaniel who prevented them from going out in public in response to James’s urging, and he did this by reminding them of Jesus’ warning against unduly jeopardizing their lives at this time. By noontime James had settled down with the others to watchful waiting. He said little; he was tremendously disappointed because Jesus did not appear to them, and he did not know of the Master’s many appearances to other groups and individuals.

(2038.1)191:0.6 Andrew did much listening this day. He was exceedingly perplexed by the situation and had more than his share of doubts, but he at least enjoyed a certain sense of freedom from responsibility for the guidance of his fellow apostles. He was indeed grateful that the Master had released him from the burdens of leadership before they fell upon these distracting times.

(2038.2)191:0.7 More than once during the long and weary hours of this tragic day, the only sustaining influence of the group was the frequent contribution of Nathaniel’s characteristic philosophic counsel. He was really the controlling influence among the ten throughout the entire day. Never once did he express himself concerning either belief or disbelief in the Master’s resurrection. But as the day wore on, he became increasingly inclined toward believing that Jesus had fulfilled his promise to rise again.

(2038.3)191:0.8 Simon Zelotes was too much crushed to participate in the discussions. Most of the time he reclined on a couch in a corner of the room with his face to the wall; he did not speak half a dozen times throughout the whole day. His concept of the kingdom had crashed, and he could not discern that the Master’s resurrection could materially change the situation. His disappointment was very personal and altogether too keen to be recovered from on short notice, even in the face of such a stupendous fact as the resurrection.

(2038.4)191:0.9 Strange to record, the usually inexpressive Philip did much talking throughout the afternoon of this day. During the forenoon he had little to say, but all afternoon he asked questions of the other apostles. Peter was often annoyed by Philip’s questions, but the others took his inquiries good-naturedly. Philip was particularly desirous of knowing, provided Jesus had really risen from the grave, whether his body would bear the physical marks of the crucifixion.

(2038.5)191:0.10 Matthew was highly confused; he listened to the discussions of his fellows but spent most of the time turning over in his mind the problem of their future finances. Regardless of Jesus’ supposed resurrection, Judas was gone, David had unceremoniously turned the funds over to him, and they were without an authoritative leader. Before Matthew got around to giving serious consideration to their arguments about the resurrection, he had already seen the Master face to face.

(2038.6)191:0.11 The Alpheus twins took little part in these serious discussions; they were fairly busy with their customary ministrations. One of them expressed the attitude of both when he said, in reply to a question asked by Philip: “We do not understand about the resurrection, but our mother says she talked with the Master, and we believe her.”

(2038.7)191:0.12 Thomas was in the midst of one of his typical spells of despairing depression. He slept a portion of the day and walked over the hills the rest of the time. He felt the urge to rejoin his fellow apostles, but the desire to be by himself was the stronger.

(2038.8)191:0.13 The Master put off the first morontia appearance to the apostles for a number of reasons. First, he wanted them to have time, after they heard of his resurrection, to think well over what he had told them about his death and resurrection when he was still with them in the flesh. The Master wanted Peter to wrestle through with some of his peculiar difficulties before he manifested himself to them all. In the second place, he desired that Thomas should be with them at the time of his first appearance. John Mark located Thomas at the home of Simon in Bethpage early this Sunday morning, bringing word to that effect to the apostles about eleven o’clock. Any time during this day Thomas would have gone back to them if Nathaniel or any two of the other apostles had gone for him. He really wanted to return, but having left as he did the evening before, he was too proud to go back of his own accord so soon. By the next day he was so depressed that it required almost a week for him to make up his mind to return. The apostles waited for him, and he waited for his brethren to seek him out and ask him to come back to them. Thomas thus remained away from his associates until the next Saturday evening, when, after darkness had come on, Peter and John went over to Bethpage and brought him back with them. And this is also the reason why they did not go at once to Galilee after Jesus first appeared to them; they would not go without Thomas.

[Each OPAD presentation is copied from The Urantia Book published by Urantia Foundation. Questions and comments related to the Paper under discussion are welcome and encouraged. In-depth questions and related topics may be studied in branch threads in the OPAD, or other subforums, as you require. Thank you for studying with us.]

Richard E Warren

Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant

Greetings Fellow Students, Forum Friends, Members and Visitors!

WELCOME to the OPAD presentation of Paper 191. This Paper has eight pages, six Sections, and a long introduction in which the Midwayer authors give a summary of the apostles’ feelings and attitudes as they were hiding (except for Thomas) in the home of John Mark, the boy who would later be named the author of the Gospel of Mark.

Also in the introduction we are given reasons why Jesus chose not to appear to his apostles first. Indeed it was a difficult day for nine of his chosen. The Alpheas twins maintained their usual equanimity, while Thomas was off by himself hoping the others would come to him, too proud to return on his own.  

This Paper has details of events and appearances from Sunday morning, April 9th to April 18th, 30 AD.

Overview of Paper 191. Appearances to the Apostles and Other Leaders

1. The Appearance to Peter
    2. First Appearance to the Apostles
    3. With the Morontia Creatures
    4. The Tenth Appearance (At Philadelphia)
    5. Second Appearance to the Apostles
    6. The Alexandrian Appearance

This group of papers [121-196] was sponsored by a commission of twelve Urantia midwayers acting under the supervision of a Melchizedek revelatory director. The basis of this narrative was supplied by a secondary midwayer who was onetime assigned to the superhuman watchcare of the Apostle Andrew.

Synopsis of Paper 191:

April 9th, resurrection Sunday, was a miserable day for the apostles. Thomas spent the day brooding alone in Bethphage. Peter vacillated between believing in the resurrection and doubting it. James wanted to go to the tomb to see for himself until Nathaniel reminded him that Jesus had warned against jeopardizing their own safety. Andrew was perplexed but was also grateful that he had been released from his leadership role.

Simon Zelotes spent most of the day lying on a couch, staring at the wall. Matthew was distracted by the fact that he had received the apostolic funds formerly carried by Judas, and he was worried about what to do with the money. Philip asked many questions. The Alpheus twins believed that Jesus was alive, because they had spoken with their mother who said she had talked to the resurrected Master.

Jesus delayed his first appearance to the apostles because he wanted them to think about what he had said about his death. The Master also wanted Peter to work through some of his problems, and Thomas to rejoin his fellows.

Peter wondered if Jesus refrained from appearing to his men because of Peter’s denials in Annas’s courtyard. He went outside to the garden to think. As he contemplated events his faith increased. He spoke aloud, saying, « I believe he has risen from the dead; I will go and tell my brethren. » At that very moment, Jesus appeared, saying, « Peter, the enemy desired to have you, but I would not give you up. » Peter and Jesus spoke for almost five minutes before the Master vanished. Peter rushed into the upper chamber and told the apostles that he had seen the Master.  The report had an influence on the apostles, but not enough to convince them of Jesus’ resurrection.

Soon thereafter, Jesus appeared in their midst. « Peace be upon you. Why are you so frightened when I appear, as though you had seen a spirit? Did I not tell you about these things when I was present with you in the flesh? » Jesus told them that when they were all together again they would go into Galilee to enter into a new phase of service in the kingdom. The Master vanished.

On Monday, Jesus spent time visiting with morontia beings on Urantia. On Tuesday, he appeared to Abner, Lazarus, and over one hundred others at a meeting in Philadelphia which was called to discuss rumors of the resurrection. All day Wednesday Jesus visited morontia delegates from the mansion worlds of the local systems of Norlatiadek.

On Saturday, Peter and John went to Bethphage and brought Thomas to Jerusalem. Thomas continued to disbelieve the stories of the resurrection. « I will not believe unless I see the Master with my own eyes and put my finger in the mark of the nails. »  At that moment, the morontia form of Jesus appeared. After speaking to the group, Jesus spoke to Thomas, saying, « I bid you be not faithless but believing-and I know you will believe, even with a whole heart. »

It took nine days for the news of the crucifixion to reach Alexandria. On April 18th, Rodan gathered some eighty Greek and Jewish believers to hear the messenger’s sad news. Just as his report ended the morontia form of Jesus appeared. Jesus’ final words to this gathering were:

« As the Father sent me into this world, even so now send I you. You are all called to carry the good news to those who sit in darkness. This gospel of the kingdom belongs to all who believe it; it shall not be committed to the custody of mere priests. Soon will the Spirit of Truth come upon you, and he shall lead you into all truth. Go you, therefore, into all the world preaching this gospel, and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the ages. »

SYNOPSIS SOURCE

The_Urantia_Book_Word_Cloud_191_375.jpg

WORD CLOUD OF PAPER 191

Tomorrow’s reading is Section 1. The Appearance to Peter. Just as Peter determinedly summoned his faith Jesus appeared to him, and him only. When he reports this to the others, they doubt his word, even his brother Andrew casts doubt.

Listen to Paper 191: (click the speaker icon at the top of the page)

Thanks for reading. Members’ thoughts, reflections, insights, observations, comments, corrections and questions about today’s OPAD presentation are invited.

Much love, Rick/OPAD host.

Richard E Warren

nelsong
    Participant

Philip was particularly desirous of knowing, provided Jesus had really risen from the grave, whether his body would bear the physical marks of the crucifixion.

Somebody was thinking outside of the box.

Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant

Philip was particularly desirous of knowing, provided Jesus had really risen from the grave, whether his body would bear the physical marks of the crucifixion.

Somebody was thinking outside of the box.

Good point. Even outside reality! It’s forgivable, he no doubt had Lazarus in mind as the model for resurrection, a material bodkin.

Richard E Warren

Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant

Today’s Presentation

It was near half past eight o’clock this Sunday evening when Jesus appeared to Simon Peter in the garden of the Mark home. This was his eighth morontia manifestation. Peter had lived under a heavy burden of doubt and guilt ever since his denial of the Master. All day Saturday and this Sunday he had fought the fear that, perhaps, he was no longer an apostle. He had shuddered at the fate of Judas and even thought that he, too, had betrayed his Master. All this afternoon he thought that it might be his presence with the apostles that prevented Jesus’ appearing to them, provided, of course, he had really risen from the dead. And it was to Peter, in such a frame of mind and in such a state of soul, that Jesus appeared as the dejected apostle strolled among the flowers and shrubs.

(2039.2)191:1.2 When Peter thought of the loving look of the Master as he passed by on Annas’s porch, and as he turned over in his mind that wonderful message brought him early that morning by the women who came from the empty tomb, “Go tell my apostles — and Peter” — as he contemplated these tokens of mercy, his faith began to surmount his doubts, and he stood still, clenching his fists, while he spoke aloud: “I believe he has risen from the dead; I will go and tell my brethren.” And as he said this, there suddenly appeared in front of him the form of a man, who spoke to him in familiar tones, saying: “Peter, the enemy desired to have you, but I would not give you up. I knew it was not from the heart that you disowned me; therefore I forgave you even before you asked; but now must you cease to think about yourself and the troubles of the hour while you prepare to carry the good news of the gospel to those who sit in darkness. No longer should you be concerned with what you may obtain from the kingdom but rather be exercised about what you can give to those who live in dire spiritual poverty. Gird yourself, Simon, for the battle of a new day, the struggle with spiritual darkness and the evil doubtings of the natural minds of men.”

(2039.3)191:1.3 Peter and the morontia Jesus walked through the garden and talked of things past, present, and future for almost five minutes. Then the Master vanished from his gaze, saying, “Farewell, Peter, until I see you with your brethren.”

(2039.4)191:1.4 For a moment, Peter was overcome by the realization that he had talked with the risen Master, and that he could be sure he was still an ambassador of the kingdom. He had just heard the glorified Master exhort him to go on preaching the gospel. And with all this welling up within his heart, he rushed to the upper chamber and into the presence of his fellow apostles, exclaiming in breathless excitement: “I have seen the Master; he was in the garden. I talked with him, and he has forgiven me.”

(2040.1)191:1.5 Peter’s declaration that he had seen Jesus in the garden made a profound impression upon his fellow apostles, and they were about ready to surrender their doubts when Andrew got up and warned them not to be too much influenced by his brother’s report. Andrew intimated that Peter had seen things which were not real before. Although Andrew did not directly allude to the vision of the night on the Sea of Galilee wherein Peter claimed to have seen the Master coming to them walking on the water, he said enough to betray to all present that he had this incident in mind. Simon Peter was very much hurt by his brother’s insinuations and immediately lapsed into crestfallen silence. The twins felt very sorry for Peter, and they both went over to express their sympathy and to say that they believed him and to reassert that their own mother had also seen the Master.

[Each OPAD presentation is copied from The Urantia Book published by Urantia Foundation. Questions and comments related to the Paper under discussion are welcome and encouraged. In-depth questions and related topics may be studied in branch threads in the OPAD, or other subforums, as you require. Thank you for studying with us.]

Richard E Warren

Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant

Good Day nelsong, Bradly, Rick B, Bonita, Alina, Carolyn, Carola, Fellow Students, Forum Friends, Members and Guests,

Peter’s foolish mistakes provide abundant proof that we are not condemned by mere stupidity. Even repeating such mistakes doesn’t invalidate our ticket to Paradise. Poor Simon Peter, he did suffer so, mostly by his own hand! But, in the final analysis, his faith came shining thru:

…he stood still, clenching his fists, while he spoke aloud: “I believe he has risen from the dead; I will go and tell my brethren….” (2039.2)191:1.2

James_Tissot_Christ_Appearing_to_Peter_4

IMAGE SOURCE

Interesting isn’t it, Andrew was entirely correct to caution against believing Peter’s story, yet completely wrong in fact. The details of Peter’s walking on water hallucination are in Paper 152:

…While the other apostles toiled against the wind and the waves, Peter dreamed a dream; he saw a vision of Jesus coming to them walking on the sea. When the Master seemed to walk on by the boat, Peter cried out, “Save us, Master, save us.” And those who were in the rear of the boat heard him say some of these words. As this apparition of the night season continued in Peter’s mind, he dreamed that he heard Jesus say: “Be of good cheer; it is I; be not afraid.” This was like the balm of Gilead to Peter’s disturbed soul; it soothed his troubled spirit, so that (in his dream) he cried out to the Master: “Lord, if it really is you, bid me come and walk with you on the water.” And when Peter started to walk upon the water, the boisterous waves frightened him, and as he was about to sink, he cried out, “Lord, save me!” And many of the twelve heard him utter this cry. Then Peter dreamed that Jesus came to the rescue and, stretching forth his hand, took hold and lifted him up, saying: “O, you of little faith, wherefore did you doubt?” (1703.2)152:4.2

The Biblical record of this appearance before Simon Peter is scant, confused, and disordered, appearing only in one book.

From Luke 22:

31 And the Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold, Satan hath desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat:

32 But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren.

From Luke 24:

33 And they rose up the same hour, and returned to Jerusalem, and found the eleven gathered together, and them that were with them,

34 Saying, The Lord is risen indeed, and hath appeared to Simon.

In tomorrow’s reading, Section 2. First Appearance to the Apostles. Jesus makes his ninth appearance. He rebukes the apostles’ faithlessness in his predictions that he would rise again, and instructs them to find the missing apostle, then go to Galilee for their next meeting.

This group of papers [121-196] was sponsored by a commission of twelve Urantia midwayers acting under the supervision of a Melchizedek revelatory director. The basis of this narrative was supplied by a secondary midwayer who was onetime assigned to the superhuman watchcare of the Apostle Andrew.

Thanks for reading. Members’ thoughts, reflections, insights, observations, comments, corrections and questions about today’s OPAD presentation are invited.

Richard E Warren

Keryn
    Participant

There is one aspect of paper 191 that has been troublesome for me, and I hope it is okay to post about it, here.  The post-resurrection appearances of Jesus are described in great detail in TUB, and it seems like he appears and disappears at the most dramatic times.  It is almost like a movie special effect.  These flash-y appearances and sudden vanishings seem uncharacteristic of the man heretofore described in the papers.  It seems almost like a magic act.  Why does he always « vanish » so suddenly after speaking with individuals or groups?   (The word « vanish » appears 5 times in this paper.)   I would expect a more natural fading away or walking away and disappearing out of sight of everyone.

What it comes down to is, I am wondering whether Jesus chooses when to « vanish », or is it more an effect or result of our human ability to see his morontia form.  This TUB describes what I am getting at:

191:3.2 About midnight of this Monday the Master’s morontia form was adjusted for transition to the second stage of morontia progression. When he next appeared to his mortal children on earth, it was as a second-stage morontia being. As the Master progressed in the morontia career, it became, technically, more and more difficult for the morontia intelligences and their transforming associates to visualize the Master to mortal and material eyes.

191:3.3 Jesus made the transit to the third stage of morontia on Friday, April 14; to the fourth stage on Monday, the 17th; to the fifth stage on Saturday, the 22nd; to the sixth stage on Thursday, the 27th; to the seventh stage on Tuesday, May 2; to Jerusem citizenship on Sunday, the 7th; and he entered the embrace of the Most Highs of Edentia on Sunday, the 14th.

Perhaps the moment of « vanishing » was due to physical constraints on human eyesight and not due to Jesus’ volitional choice to suddenly disappear while addressing a crowd?

Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant

Today’s Presentation

Shortly after nine o’clock that evening, after the departure of Cleopas and Jacob, while the Alpheus twins comforted Peter, and while Nathaniel remonstrated with Andrew, and as the ten apostles were there assembled in the upper chamber with all the doors bolted for fear of arrest, the Master, in morontia form, suddenly appeared in the midst of them, saying: “Peace be upon you. Why are you so frightened when I appear, as though you had seen a spirit? Did I not tell you about these things when I was present with you in the flesh? Did I not say to you that the chief priests and the rulers would deliver me up to be killed, that one of your own number would betray me, and that on the third day I would rise? Wherefore all your doubtings and all this discussion about the reports of the women, Cleopas and Jacob, and even Peter? How long will you doubt my words and refuse to believe my promises? And now that you actually see me, will you believe? Even now one of you is absent. When you are gathered together once more, and after all of you know of a certainty that the Son of Man has risen from the grave, go hence into Galilee. Have faith in God; have faith in one another; and so shall you enter into the new service of the kingdom of heaven. I will tarry in Jerusalem with you until you are ready to go into Galilee. My peace I leave with you.”

(2040.3)191:2.2 When the morontia Jesus had spoken to them, he vanished in an instant from their sight. And they all fell on their faces, praising God and venerating their vanished Master. This was the Master’s ninth morontia appearance.

Richard E Warren

Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant

Greetings Bonita, nelsong, Bradly, Rick B, Alina, Carolyn, Carola, Fellow Students, Forum Friends, Members and Visitors,

Ha! Was the risen Jesus making a joke here?

“Why are you so frightened when I appear, as though you had seen a spirit?” (2040.2)191:2.1

5671097233_57f8353315_z.jpg

IMAGE SOURCE

From today’s reading:

“…Wherefore all your doubtings and all this discussion about the reports of the women, Cleopas and Jacob, and even Peter? How long will you doubt my words and refuse to believe my promises? And now that you actually see me, will you believe?” (2040.2)191:2.1

If this appearance doesn’t stop their doubting, nothing will!

Three of the four Gospel records have something about this appearance. Luke 24 confuses and conflates it with at least two other appearances:

36 And as they thus spake, Jesus himself stood in the midst of them, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you.

37 But they were terrified and affrighted, and supposed that they had seen a spirit.

38 And he said unto them, Why are ye troubled? and why do thoughts arise in your hearts?

39 Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.

40 And when he had thus spoken, he shewed them his hands and his feet.

41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.

43 And he took it, and did eat before them.

44 And he said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me.

45 Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,

46 And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behooved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day:

47 And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

48 And ye are witnesses of these things.

49 And, behold, I send the promise of my Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power from on high.

50 And he led them out as far as to Bethany, and he lifted up his hands, and blessed them.

51 And it came to pass, while he blessed them, he was parted from them, and carried up into heaven.

52 And they worshipped him, and returned to Jerusalem with great joy:

53 And were continually in the temple, praising and blessing God. Amen.

Mark 14 is also confused, even adding bits about speaking in tongues and drinking poison:

14 Afterward he appeared unto the eleven as they sat at meat, and upbraided them with their unbelief and hardness of heart, because they believed not them which had seen him after he was risen.

15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;

18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

19 So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God.

John 20 has this much, it too mixed appearances:

19 Then the same day at evening, being the first day of the week, when the doors were shut where the disciples were assembled for fear of the Jews, came Jesus and stood in the midst, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you.

20 And when he had so said, he shewed unto them his hands and his side. Then were the disciples glad, when they saw the Lord.

21 Then said Jesus to them again, Peace be unto you: as my Father hath sent me, even so send I you.

22 And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost:

23 Whose soever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; and whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained.

24 But Thomas, one of the twelve, called Didymus, was not with them when Jesus came.

Wonder if the « receive ye the holy ghost » is referring to the bestowal of the Spirit of Truth?

He-is-risen1.jpg

IMAGE SOURCE

In tomorrow’s reading, Section 3. With the Morontia Creatures, we are given insights and new revelations into what was going on behind the scenes with the imported groups of beings from the mansion worlds and above.

Richard E Warren

Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant

There is one aspect of paper 191 that has been troublesome for me, and I hope it is okay to post about it, here. The post-resurrection appearances of Jesus are described in great detail in TUB, and it seems like he appears and disappears at the most dramatic times. It is almost like a movie special effect. These flash-y appearances and sudden vanishings seem uncharacteristic of the man heretofore described in the papers. It seems almost like a magic act. Why does he always “vanish” so suddenly after speaking with individuals or groups? (The word “vanish” appears 5 times in this paper.) I would expect a more natural fading away or walking away and disappearing out of sight of everyone. What it comes down to is, I am wondering whether Jesus chooses when to “vanish”, or is it more an effect or result of our human ability to see his morontia form. This TUB describes what I am getting at:

191:3.2 About midnight of this Monday the Master’s morontia form was adjusted for transition to the second stage of morontia progression. When he next appeared to his mortal children on earth, it was as a second-stage morontia being. As the Master progressed in the morontia career, it became, technically, more and more difficult for the morontia intelligences and their transforming associates to visualize the Master to mortal and material eyes. 191:3.3 Jesus made the transit to the third stage of morontia on Friday, April 14; to the fourth stage on Monday, the 17th; to the fifth stage on Saturday, the 22nd; to the sixth stage on Thursday, the 27th; to the seventh stage on Tuesday, May 2; to Jerusem citizenship on Sunday, the 7th; and he entered the embrace of the Most Highs of Edentia on Sunday, the 14th.

Perhaps the moment of “vanishing” was due to physical constraints on human eyesight and not due to Jesus’ volitional choice to suddenly disappear while addressing a crowd?

Thank you Keryn, it’s perfectly appropriate that you bring this question here. Admittedly, I’ve never heard such a concern expressed, but if it is « troublesome » to you, I believe it. That said, I’m not understanding exactly why this is not in conformity with his character. Why would that be ungodlike? You’re saying it was just rude and too abrupt?

There may have been another reason he exited in such a manner, he wanted his viewers not to try and touch him, it would have been a natural human reaction of course. Were their eyes deceiving them? Would their hands confirm what their eyes see? If he hadn’t « vanished » so suddenly, each of the various groups surely would have pressed in on him. Recall he said to Mary Magdalene, to whom he first appeared:

« …Touch me not, Mary, for I am not as you knew me in the flesh….” (2027.2) 189:4.12

I had a different reaction to his sudden appearances and vanishings. I found it somehow divine that he would come and go in such a fashion being a morontia entity. And too, it may have had something to do with those Energy Transformers that made his image observable to human vision.  Presumably Gabriel’s appearances were equally as abrupt.

Richard E Warren

nelsong
    Participant

I have wondered if these appearances are to the mind’s eye, not necessarily the eye itself. If it were the eye, would  not the eye (everyones eyes) need to be modified by the energy transformers?

All that one of them needed to do was to close their eyes but I guess that did not happen? I think I would have blinked in disbelief at least once.

Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant

I have wondered if these appearances are to the mind’s eye, not necessarily the eye itself. If it were the eye, would not the eye (everyones eyes) need to be modified by the energy transformers? All that one of them needed to do was to close their eyes but I guess that did not happen? I think I would have blinked in disbelief at least once.

Interesting hypothesis nelsong. And you bring another question to mind, whether faith was a factor?

Richard E Warren

Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant

Today’s Presentation

The next day, Monday, was spent wholly with the morontia creatures then present on Urantia. As participants in the Master’s morontia-transition experience, there had come to Urantia more than one million morontia directors and associates, together with transition mortals of various orders from the seven mansion worlds of Satania. The morontia Jesus sojourned with these splendid intelligences for forty days. He instructed them and learned from their directors the life of morontia transition as it is traversed by the mortals of the inhabited worlds of Satania as they pass through the system morontia spheres.

(2041.1)191:3.2 About midnight of this Monday the Master’s morontia form was adjusted for transition to the second stage of morontia progression. When he next appeared to his mortal children on earth, it was as a second-stage morontia being. As the Master progressed in the morontia career, it became, technically, more and more difficult for the morontia intelligences and their transforming associates to visualize the Master to mortal and material eyes.

(2041.2)191:3.3 Jesus made the transit to the third stage of morontia on Friday, April 14; to the fourth stage on Monday, the 17th; to the fifth stage on Saturday, the 22nd; to the sixth stage on Thursday, the 27th; to the seventh stage on Tuesday, May 2; to Jerusem citizenship on Sunday, the 7th; and he entered the embrace of the Most Highs of Edentia on Sunday, the 14th.

(2041.3)191:3.4 In this manner did Michael of Nebadon complete his service of universe experience since he had already, in connection with his previous bestowals, experienced to the full the life of the ascendant mortals of time and space from the sojourn on the headquarters of the constellation even on to, and through, the service of the headquarters of the superuniverse. And it was by these very morontia experiences that the Creator Son of Nebadon really finished and acceptably terminated his seventh and final universe bestowal.

Richard E Warren

Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant

.Good Day nelsong, Keryn, Rick B, Bonita, Bradly, Alina, Carolyn, Carola, Fellow Students, Forum Friends, Members and Guests,

Today’s reading has no Biblical counter-part, it is new revelation. Before this, humanity knew none of the details of  Jesus post-resurrection progression, except that he ascended to the Father.

Our progression up the morontia ladder is well defined in other Papers. This is from Paper 48:8:

…From the time of graduation from the mansion worlds to the attainment of spirit status in the superuniverse career, ascending mortals are denominated morontia progressors. Your passage through this wonderful borderland life will be an unforgettable experience, a charming memory. It is the evolutionary portal to spirit life and the eventual attainment of creature perfection by which ascenders achieve the goal of time — the finding of God on Paradise…. (557.16)48:8.1

…There is a definite and divine purpose in all this morontia and subsequent spirit scheme of mortal progression, this elaborate universe training school for ascending creatures. It is the design of the Creators to afford the creatures of time a graduated opportunity to master the details of the operation and administration of the grand universe, and this long course of training is best carried forward by having the surviving mortal climb up gradually and by actual participation in every step of the ascent…. (557.17)48:8.2

From Paper 44:8:

…Before ascending mortals leave the local universe to embark upon their spirit careers, they will be satiated respecting every intellectual, artistic, and social longing or true ambition which ever characterized their mortal or morontia planes of existence…. (508.3)44:8.5

From today’s reading:

…he entered the embrace of the Most Highs of Edentia on Sunday, the 14th…. (2041.2)191:3.3

From Paper 15:7:

…Edentia, the headquarters of your constellation of Norlatiadek, has its seventy satellites of socializing culture and training, on which ascenders sojourn upon the completion of the Jerusem regime of personality mobilization, unification, and realization…. (174.6)15:7.6

From Paper 43’s introduction:

…The government of your constellation is situated in a cluster of 771 architectural spheres, the centermost and largest of which is Edentia, the seat of the administration of the Constellation Fathers, the Most Highs of Norlatiadek…. (485.2)43:0.2

From today’s text:

…he had already, in connection with his previous bestowals, experienced to the full the life of the ascendant mortals of time and space…. (2041.3)191:3.4

Urantia was the site of Michael’s seventh bestowal, the first six are revealed in Paper 119: The Bestowals of Christ Michael

1. The First Bestowal
    2. The Second Bestowal
    3. The Third Bestowal
    4. The Fourth Bestowal
    5. The Fifth Bestowal
    6. The Sixth Bestowal

In tomorrow’s reading, Section 4. The Tenth Appearance (At Philadelphia), the morontia Jesus gives the Great Commission to 150 believers in the synagogue where Abner and Lazarus were about to begin a discussion of his crucifixion, and the recent report from David’s messenger regarding his resurrection.

Richard E Warren

Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant

Today’s Presentation

The tenth morontia manifestation of Jesus to mortal recognition occurred a short time after eight o’clock on Tuesday, April 11, at Philadelphia, where he showed himself to Abner and Lazarus and some one hundred and fifty of their associates, including more than fifty of the evangelistic corps of the seventy. This appearance occurred just after the opening of a special meeting in the synagogue which had been called by Abner to discuss the crucifixion of Jesus and the more recent report of the resurrection which had been brought by David’s messenger. Inasmuch as the resurrected Lazarus was now a member of this group of believers, it was not difficult for them to believe the report that Jesus had risen from the dead.

(2041.5)191:4.2 The meeting in the synagogue was just being opened by Abner and Lazarus, who were standing together in the pulpit, when the entire audience of believers saw the form of the Master appear suddenly. He stepped forward from where he had appeared between Abner and Lazarus, neither of whom had observed him, and saluting the company, said:

(2041.6)191:4.3“Peace be upon you. You all know that we have one Father in heaven, and that there is but one gospel of the kingdom — the good news of the gift of eternal life which men receive by faith. As you rejoice in your loyalty to the gospel, pray the Father of truth to shed abroad in your hearts a new and greater love for your brethren. You are to love all men as I have loved you; you are to serve all men as I have served you. With understanding sympathy and brotherly affection, fellowship all your brethren who are dedicated to the proclamation of the good news, whether they be Jew or gentile, Greek or Roman, Persian or Ethiopian. John proclaimed the kingdom in advance; you have preached the gospel in power; the Greeks already teach the good news; and I am soon to send forth the Spirit of Truth into the souls of all these, my brethren, who have so unselfishly dedicated their lives to the enlightenment of their fellows who sit in spiritual darkness. You are all the children of light; therefore stumble not into the misunderstanding entanglements of mortal suspicion and human intolerance. If you are ennobled, by the grace of faith, to love unbelievers, should you not also equally love those who are your fellow believers in the far-spreading household of faith? Remember, as you love one another, all men will know that you are my disciples.

(2042.1)191:4.4“Go, then, into all the world proclaiming this gospel of the fatherhood of God and the brotherhood of men to all nations and races and ever be wise in your choice of methods for presenting the good news to the different races and tribes of mankind. Freely you have received this gospel of the kingdom, and you will freely give the good news to all nations. Fear not the resistance of evil, for I am with you always, even to the end of the ages. And my peace I leave with you.”

(2042.2)191:4.5 When he had said, “My peace I leave with you,” he vanished from their sight. With the exception of one of his appearances in Galilee, where upward of five hundred believers saw him at one time, this group in Philadelphia embraced the largest number of mortals who saw him on any single occasion.

(2042.3)191:4.6 Early the next morning, even while the apostles tarried in Jerusalem awaiting the emotional recovery of Thomas, these believers at Philadelphia went forth proclaiming that Jesus of Nazareth had risen from the dead.

(2042.4)191:4.7 The next day, Wednesday, Jesus spent without interruption in the society of his morontia associates, and during the midafternoon hours he received visiting morontia delegates from the mansion worlds of every local system of inhabited spheres throughout the constellation of Norlatiadek. And they all rejoiced to know their Creator as one of their own order of universe intelligence.

Richard E Warren

15 sujets de 1 à 15 (sur un total de 25)

Login to reply to this topic.

Not registered? Sign up here.