PAPER 184 – BEFORE THE SANHEDRIN COURT

Home Forums Online Urantia Book Study Groups One Page a Day Study Group (OPAD) PAPER 184 – BEFORE THE SANHEDRIN COURT

Étiqueté : 

15 sujets de 1 à 15 (sur un total de 20)
  • Auteur
    Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant

Welcome to The OPAD Online Study Session

Today’s Presentation

Paper 184 – Before the Sanhedrin Court

[INTRODUCTION]

REPRESENTATIVES of Annas had secretly instructed the captain of the Roman soldiers to bring Jesus immediately to the palace of Annas after he had been arrested. The former high priest desired to maintain his prestige as the chief ecclesiastical authority of the Jews. He also had another purpose in detaining Jesus at his house for several hours, and that was to allow time for legally calling together the court of the Sanhedrin. It was not lawful to convene the Sanhedrin court before the time of the offering of the morning sacrifice in the temple, and this sacrifice was offered about three o’clock in the morning.

(1978.2)184:0.2 Annas knew that a court of Sanhedrists was in waiting at the palace of his son-in-law, Caiaphas. Some thirty members of the Sanhedrin had gathered at the home of the high priest by midnight so that they would be ready to sit in judgment on Jesus when he might be brought before them. Only those members were assembled who were strongly and openly opposed to Jesus and his teaching since it required only twenty-three to constitute a trial court.

(1978.3)184:0.3 Jesus spent about three hours at the palace of Annas on Mount Olivet, not far from the garden of Gethsemane, where they arrested him. John Zebedee was free and safe in the palace of Annas not only because of the word of the Roman captain, but also because he and his brother James were well known to the older servants, having many times been guests at the palace as the former high priest was a distant relative of their mother, Salome.

[Each OPAD presentation is copied from The Urantia Book published by Urantia Foundation. Questions and comments related to the Paper under discussion are welcome and encouraged. In-depth questions and related topics may be studied in branch threads in the OPAD, or other subforums, as you require. Thank you for studying with us.]

Richard E Warren

Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant

Greetings Fellow Students, Forum Friends, Members and Visitors!

WELCOME to the OPAD presentation of Paper 184. It has nine pages and five Sections. It describes Jesus’ six hour ordeal in the hands of the Jewish authorities during the morning of April 7, AD 30, the day the Master died (3 PM).

Overview of: Before the Sanhedrin Court

1. Examination by Annas
    2. Peter in the Courtyard
    3. Before the Court of Sanhedrists
    4. The Hour of Humiliation

5. The Second Meeting of the Court

This group of papers [121-196] was sponsored by a commission of twelve Urantia midwayers acting under the supervision of a Melchizedek revelatory director. The basis of this narrative was supplied by a secondary midwayer who was onetime assigned to the superhuman watchcare of the Apostle Andrew.

From the introduction to 184:

…Jesus spent about three hours at the palace of Annas on Mount Olivet, not far from the garden of Gethsemane, where they arrested him…. (1978.3)184:0.3

map-35-735px.jpg?1402517981

MAP SOURCE

Caiaphas, one of Annas’ five sons-in-law, is also mentioned in today’s reading:

…Annas knew that a court of Sanhedrists was in waiting at the palace of his son-in-law, Caiaphas…. (1978.2)184:0.2

Judas had already met with hard-hearted Caiaphas, to arrange his payment, in Paper 177:

…And then Caiaphas looked down upon the betrayer while he said: “Judas, you go to the captain of the guard and arrange with that officer to bring your Master to us either tonight or tomorrow night, and when he has been delivered by you into our hands, you shall receive your reward for this service….” (1926.1)177:4.8

We will read his name several more times in the next few Papers.

Synopsis of Paper 184:

Jesus was brought before Annas at his palace on Mount Olivet. Annas knew that the Sanhedrin waited for Jesus at Caiaphas’s palace but it was illegal to convene a court before three in the morning.

Annas was the most powerful person in Jewry during that era. Annas had taken a positive interest in Jesus when he was younger, but the recent assault on the money-changers in the temple had turned Annas against him. Annas charged Jesus with disturbing the peace and questioned him about the names of his disciples. Jesus did not reply.

Annas was disturbed by Jesus’ silence. He reminded Jesus that he had some power over the pending trial. Jesus said, « Annas, you know that you could have no power over me unless it were permitted by my Father. Some would destroy the Son of Man because they are ignorant, they know no better, but you, friend, know what you are doing. How can you, therefore, reject the light of God? » Annas continued to question the Master, but his mind was already set that Jesus must be either banished or killed. As dawn approached he sent Jesus under guard to Caiaphas.

While Annas was questioning Jesus, Simon Peter waited shivering in the palace courtyard. John Zebedee knew Annas’ doorkeeper and requested that Peter be allowed to enter. Peter was nervous about being inside the enemy’s courtyard. He was unarmed and confused; he should have been with the other apostles in hiding.

The doorkeeper came up to Peter as he warmed himself by the fire and asked, « Are you not also one of this man’s disciples? » Peter immediately replied, « I am not. » Another servant said that he thought he had seen Peter in the garden with Jesus, but Peter denied that he knew the Master. The portress drew him aside privately and asked him once again why he denied being a disciple. Peter cursed her, insisting that he never even heard of Jesus before. Twice more he was asked, and twice more Peter denied Jesus.

As he uttered his final denial, Peter heard a cock crow. He was reminded of what Jesus had predicted earlier that night. Guilt washed over Peter as the palace doors opened and guards led Jesus out. Jesus saw the despair on Peter’s face, and looked on him with such pity and love that Peter never forgot the look as long as he lived. Jesus and the guards left the palace, and Peter wept bitterly. He joined his brother Andrew in hiding.

Jesus’ trial before the Sanhedrin began at half past three in the morning. Since the Sanhedrin had already agreed that Jesus was guilty, they were now concerned with developing charges that would justify a death penalty. More than twenty false witnesses were on hand. Their testimony was so trumped up that even the Sanhedrin were ashamed to listen.

After some time Caiaphas shouted to Jesus, « Do you not answer any of these charges? » Jesus stood in silence. Caiaphas, no longer able to watch Jesus standing there in quiet composure, shook his finger in the Master’s face and said, « I adjure you, in the name of the living God, that you tell us whether you are the Deliver, the Son of God. » Jesus answered, « I am. »

Caiaphas angrily declared that they had witnessed blasphemy, and the court cried out for his death. Annas wanted the trial to continue until they showed charges that transgressed Roman law, but the rest of the Sanhedrin were eager to finish the trial. Jewish law forbade them to work past noon the day before Passover, and Pilate was only in Jerusalem for a short while. Caiaphas hit Jesus.

Annas was truly shocked when the other Sanhedrin left the room, spitting at Jesus and slapping him as they passed by. In this unprecedented confusion, the first session of the trial ended.

In order to pass a death sentence, two sessions of court were required, one day apart. The Sanhedrin waited one hour. Jesus spent the break in the audience chamber with guards and servants who mocked him, spit on him, and beat him. When the abuse began, Jesus made John leave the room.

Throughout his suffering, Jesus was silent. A shudder of indignation filled the universe as celestial observers witnessed the sight of their Sovereign submitting himself to ignorant, misguided people. These were the moments of the Master’s greatest victories.

At half past five the court reassembled. Jesus was sent into the side room where John waited, while the Sanhedrin drew up a three-point indictment. This entire procedure was against Jewish law for many reasons: false witnesses, lack of witnesses for the defense, failure to wait one day between sessions, absence of witnesses to verify charges in the final indictment, and the fact that the prisoner was never told the charges against him. By six in the morning, the trial was over. Jesus was led away to appear before Pontius Pilate.

SYNOPSIS SOURCE

The_Urantia_Book_Word_Cloud_184_375.jpg

WORD CLOUD OF PAPER 184

In tomorrow’s reading, Section 1. Examination by Annas, Jesus upsets his examiner with his honest answers. Then one of his attendants hits Jesus in the face. Later Annas sends the prisoner to Caiaphas’ palace and follows after.

Listen to Paper 184: (click the speaker icon at the top of the page)

Thanks for reading. Members’ thoughts, reflections, insights, observations, comments, corrections and questions about today’s OPAD presentation are invited.

Much love, Rick/OPAD host.

Richard E Warren

Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant

Today’s Presentation

1. Examination by Annas

Annas, enriched by the temple revenues, his son-in-law the acting high priest, and with his relations to the Roman authorities, was indeed the most powerful single individual in all Jewry. He was a suave and politic planner and plotter. He desired to direct the matter of disposing of Jesus; he feared to trust such an important undertaking wholly to his brusque and aggressive son-in-law. Annas wanted to make sure that the Master’s trial was kept in the hands of the Sadducees; he feared the possible sympathy of some of the Pharisees, seeing that practically all of those members of the Sanhedrin who had espoused the cause of Jesus were Pharisees.

(1978.5)184:1.2 Annas had not seen Jesus for several years, not since the time when the Master called at his house and immediately left upon observing his coldness and reserve in receiving him. Annas had thought to presume on this early acquaintance and thereby attempt to persuade Jesus to abandon his claims and leave Palestine. He was reluctant to participate in the murder of a good man and had reasoned that Jesus might choose to leave the country rather than to suffer death. But when Annas stood before the stalwart and determined Galilean, he knew at once that it would be useless to make such proposals. Jesus was even more majestic and well poised than Annas remembered him.

(1979.1)184:1.3 When Jesus was young, Annas had taken a great interest in him, but now his revenues were threatened by what Jesus had so recently done in driving the money-changers and other commercial traders out of the temple. This act had aroused the enmity of the former high priest far more than had Jesus’ teachings.

(1979.2)184:1.4 Annas entered his spacious audience chamber, seated himself in a large chair, and commanded that Jesus be brought before him. After a few moments spent in silently surveying the Master, he said: “You realize that something must be done about your teaching since you are disturbing the peace and order of our country.” As Annas looked inquiringly at Jesus, the Master looked full into his eyes but made no reply. Again Annas spoke, “What are the names of your disciples, besides Simon Zelotes, the agitator?” Again Jesus looked down upon him, but he did not answer.

(1979.3)184:1.5 Annas was considerably disturbed by Jesus’ refusal to answer his questions, so much so that he said to him: “Do you have no care as to whether I am friendly to you or not? Do you have no regard for the power I have in determining the issues of your coming trial?” When Jesus heard this, he said: “Annas, you know that you could have no power over me unless it were permitted by my Father. Some would destroy the Son of Man because they are ignorant; they know no better, but you, friend, know what you are doing. How can you, therefore, reject the light of God?”

(1979.4)184:1.6 The kindly manner in which Jesus spoke to Annas almost bewildered him. But he had already determined in his mind that Jesus must either leave Palestine or die; so he summoned up his courage and asked: “Just what is it you are trying to teach the people? What do you claim to be?” Jesus answered: “You know full well that I have spoken openly to the world. I have taught in the synagogues and many times in the temple, where all the Jews and many of the gentiles have heard me. In secret I have spoken nothing; why, then, do you ask me about my teaching? Why do you not summon those who have heard me and inquire of them? Behold, all Jerusalem has heard that which I have spoken even if you have not yourself heard these teachings.” But before Annas could make reply, the chief steward of the palace, who was standing near, struck Jesus in the face with his hand, saying, “How dare you answer the high priest with such words?” Annas spoke no words of rebuke to his steward, but Jesus addressed him, saying, “My friend, if I have spoken evil, bear witness against the evil; but if I have spoken the truth, why, then, should you smite me?”

(1979.5)184:1.7 Although Annas regretted that his steward had struck Jesus, he was too proud to take notice of the matter. In his confusion he went into another room, leaving Jesus alone with the household attendants and the temple guards for almost an hour.

(1979.6)184:1.8 When he returned, going up to the Master’s side, he said, “Do you claim to be the Messiah, the deliverer of Israel?” Said Jesus: “Annas, you have known me from the times of my youth. You know that I claim to be nothing except that which my Father has appointed, and that I have been sent to all men, gentile as well as Jew.” Then said Annas: “I have been told that you have claimed to be the Messiah; is that true?” Jesus looked upon Annas but only replied, “So you have said.”

(1980.1)184:1.9 About this time messengers arrived from the palace of Caiaphas to inquire what time Jesus would be brought before the court of the Sanhedrin, and since it was nearing the break of day, Annas thought best to send Jesus bound and in the custody of the temple guards to Caiaphas. He himself followed after them shortly.

[Each OPAD presentation is copied from The Urantia Book published by Urantia Foundation. Questions and comments related to the Paper under discussion are welcome and encouraged. In-depth questions and related topics may be studied in branch threads in the OPAD, or other subforums, as you require. Thank you for studying with us.]

Richard E Warren

Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant

Good Day Bonita, nelsong, Brad, Alina, Carola, Fellow Students, Forum Friends, Members and Guests,

From today’s reading:

…Annas had not seen Jesus for several years, not since the time when the Master called at his house and immediately left upon observing his coldness and reserve in receiving him….(1978.5)184:1.2

From Paper 142:

…The first day in Jerusalem Jesus called upon his friend of former years, Annas, the onetime high priest and relative of Salome, Zebedee’s wife. Annas had been hearing about Jesus and his teachings, and when Jesus called at the high priest’s home, he was received with much reserve. When Jesus perceived Annas’s coldness, he took immediate leave, saying as he departed: “Fear is man’s chief enslaver and pride his great weakness; will you betray yourself into bondage to both of these destroyers of joy and liberty?” But Annas made no reply. The Master did not again see Annas until the time when he sat with his son-in-law in judgment on the Son of Man…. (1596.2)142:0.2

This is what secular history teaches about Annas. From Wikipedia:

Annas, son of Seth (23/22 BC–death date unknown, probably around 40CE), was appointed by the Roman legate Quirinius as the first High Priest of the newly formed Roman province of Iudaea in 6 AD; just after the Romans had deposed Archelaus, Ethnarch of Judaea, thereby putting Judaea directly under Roman rule.

Annas officially served as High Priest for ten years (6–15 AD), when at the age of 36 he was deposed by the procurator Gratus. Yet while having been officially removed from office, he remained as one of the nation’s most influential political and social individuals, aided greatly by the use of his five sons and his son-in-law as puppet High Priests. His death is unrecorded, but his son Annas the Younger, also known as Ananus ben Ananus was assassinated in 66 AD for advocating peace with Rome.

Annas appears in the Gospels and Passion plays as a high priest before whom Jesus is brought for judgment, prior to being brought before Pontius Pilate.

640px-Annaz_-_Bom_Jesus.JPG

Statue of Annas in Bom Jesus, Braga

IMAGE SOURCE

Finally! We get to the crux of the matter why Jesus must « leave Palestine or die« . From today’s text:

…now his revenues were threatened by what Jesus had so recently done in driving the money-changers and other commercial traders out of the temple. This act had aroused the enmity of the former high priest far more than had Jesus’ teachings…. (1979.1)184:1.3

John Zebedee’s Gospel is the only one that records this visit with Annas, in chapter 18:

19 The high priest then asked Jesus of his disciples, and of his doctrine.

20 Jesus answered him, I spake openly to the world; I ever taught in the synagogue, and in the temple, whither the Jews always resort; and in secret have I said nothing.

21 Why askest thou me? ask them which heard me, what I have said unto them: behold, they know what I said.

22 And when he had thus spoken, one of the officers which stood by struck Jesus with the palm of his hand, saying, Answerest thou the high priest so?

23 Jesus answered him, If I have spoken evil, bear witness of the evil: but if well, why smitest thou me?

24 Now Annas had sent him bound unto Caiaphas the high priest.

The blow to the face that the Master received from the temple guard is the first for the mature Jesus. Maybe he had beaten up by the neighborhood boys when he was a child, before Jason the stone cutter’s son (his self-appointed defender), came along. 

Whatever the case, Jesus’ gracious response is very telling of his nature and bearing. Even while under arrest and in the custody of hostile enemies, Jesus referred to both Annas and the guard as « friend »:

« …My friend, if I have spoken evil, bear witness against the evil; but if I have spoken the truth, why, then, should you smite me?” (1979.4)184:1.6

Unfortunately this smite is but the first of many our God incarnate will suffer at the hands of ignorant and spite filled humans. And even more unfortunately, for Annas, he can’t hide behind ignorance. Jesus in today’s reading:

« …Some would destroy the Son of Man because they are ignorant; they know no better, but you, friend, know what you are doing…. » (1979.3)184:1.5

Gerrit_Van_Honthorst_Christ_before_the_H

IMAGE SOURCE

Tomorrow’s reading, Section 2. Peter in the Courtyard, has the story of the apostle’s strange behavior after his Master’s arrest, his denials, hearing the crowing rooster, and his subsequent guilt.

1. Examination by Annas

This group of papers [121-196] was sponsored by a commission of twelve Urantia midwayers acting under the supervision of a Melchizedek revelatory director. The basis of this narrative was supplied by a secondary midwayer who was onetime assigned to the superhuman watchcare of the Apostle Andrew.

Thanks for reading. Members’ thoughts, reflections, insights, observations, comments, corrections and questions about today’s OPAD presentation are invited.

Richard E Warren

Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant

Today’s Presentation

As the band of guards and soldiers approached the entrance to the palace of Annas, John Zebedee was marching by the side of the captain of the Roman soldiers. Judas had dropped some distance behind, and Simon Peter followed afar off. After John had entered the palace courtyard with Jesus and the guards, Judas came up to the gate but, seeing Jesus and John, went on over to the home of Caiaphas, where he knew the real trial of the Master would later take place. Soon after Judas had left, Simon Peter arrived, and as he stood before the gate, John saw him just as they were about to take Jesus into the palace. The portress who kept the gate knew John, and when he spoke to her, requesting that she let Peter in, she gladly assented.

(1980.3)184:2.2 Peter, upon entering the courtyard, went over to the charcoal fire and sought to warm himself, for the night was chilly. He felt very much out of place here among the enemies of Jesus, and indeed he was out of place. The Master had not instructed him to keep near at hand as he had admonished John. Peter belonged with the other apostles, who had been specifically warned not to endanger their lives during these times of the trial and crucifixion of their Master.

(1980.4)184:2.3 Peter threw away his sword shortly before he came up to the palace gate so that he entered the courtyard of Annas unarmed. His mind was in a whirl of confusion; he could scarcely realize that Jesus had been arrested. He could not grasp the reality of the situation — that he was here in the courtyard of Annas, warming himself beside the servants of the high priest. He wondered what the other apostles were doing and, in turning over in his mind as to how John came to be admitted to the palace, concluded that it was because he was known to the servants, since he had bidden the gate-keeper admit him.

(1980.5)184:2.4 Shortly after the portress let Peter in, and while he was warming himself by the fire, she went over to him and mischievously said, “Are you not also one of this man’s disciples?” Now Peter should not have been surprised at this recognition, for it was John who had requested that the girl let him pass through the palace gates; but he was in such a tense nervous state that this identification as a disciple threw him off his balance, and with only one thought uppermost in his mind — the thought of escaping with his life — he promptly answered the maid’s question by saying, “I am not.”

(1980.6)184:2.5 Very soon another servant came up to Peter and asked: “Did I not see you in the garden when they arrested this fellow? Are you not also one of his followers?” Peter was now thoroughly alarmed; he saw no way of safely escaping from these accusers; so he vehemently denied all connection with Jesus, saying, “I know not this man, neither am I one of his followers.”

(1980.7)184:2.6 About this time the portress of the gate drew Peter to one side and said: “I am sure you are a disciple of this Jesus, not only because one of his followers bade me let you in the courtyard, but my sister here has seen you in the temple with this man. Why do you deny this?” When Peter heard the maid accuse him, he denied all knowledge of Jesus with much cursing and swearing, again saying, “I am not this man’s follower; I do not even know him; I never heard of him before.”

(1981.1)184:2.7 Peter left the fireside for a time while he walked about the courtyard. He would have liked to have escaped, but he feared to attract attention to himself. Getting cold, he returned to the fireside, and one of the men standing near him said: “Surely you are one of this man’s disciples. This Jesus is a Galilean, and your speech betrays you, for you also speak as a Galilean.” And again Peter denied all connection with his Master.

(1981.2)184:2.8 Peter was so perturbed that he sought to escape contact with his accusers by going away from the fire and remaining by himself on the porch. After more than an hour of this isolation, the gate-keeper and her sister chanced to meet him, and both of them again teasingly charged him with being a follower of Jesus. And again he denied the accusation. Just as he had once more denied all connection with Jesus, the cock crowed, and Peter remembered the words of warning spoken to him by his Master earlier that same night. As he stood there, heavy of heart and crushed with the sense of guilt, the palace doors opened, and the guards led Jesus past on the way to Caiaphas. As the Master passed Peter, he saw, by the light of the torches, the look of despair on the face of his former self-confident and superficially brave apostle, and he turned and looked upon Peter. Peter never forgot that look as long as he lived. It was such a glance of commingled pity and love as mortal man had never beheld in the face of the Master.

(1981.3)184:2.9 After Jesus and the guards passed out of the palace gates, Peter followed them, but only for a short distance. He could not go farther. He sat down by the side of the road and wept bitterly. And when he had shed these tears of agony, he turned his steps back toward the camp, hoping to find his brother, Andrew. On arriving at the camp, he found only David Zebedee, who sent a messenger to direct him to where his brother had gone to hide in Jerusalem.

(1981.4)184:2.10 Peter’s entire experience occurred in the courtyard of the palace of Annas on Mount Olivet. He did not follow Jesus to the palace of the high priest, Caiaphas. That Peter was brought to the realization that he had repeatedly denied his Master by the crowing of a cock indicates that this all occurred outside of Jerusalem since it was against the law to keep poultry within the city proper.

(1981.5)184:2.11 Until the crowing of the cock brought Peter to his better senses, he had only thought, as he walked up and down the porch to keep warm, how cleverly he had eluded the accusations of the servants, and how he had frustrated their purpose to identify him with Jesus. For the time being, he had only considered that these servants had no moral or legal right thus to question him, and he really congratulated himself over the manner in which he thought he had avoided being identified and possibly subjected to arrest and imprisonment. Not until the cock crowed did it occur to Peter that he had denied his Master. Not until Jesus looked upon him, did he realize that he had failed to live up to his privileges as an ambassador of the kingdom.

(1981.6)184:2.12 Having taken the first step along the path of compromise and least resistance, there was nothing apparent to Peter but to go on with the course of conduct decided upon. It requires a great and noble character, having started out wrong, to turn about and go right. All too often one’s own mind tends to justify continuance in the path of error when once it is entered upon.

(1982.1)184:2.13 Peter never fully believed that he could be forgiven until he met his Master after the resurrection and saw that he was received just as before the experiences of this tragic night of the denials.

Richard E Warren

Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant

Greetings Brad, nelsong, Bonita, Alina, Carola, Fellow Students, Forum Friends, Members and Visitors,

Poor Peter, what a mix of right and wrong swirling in his human head.

Pensionante_del_Saraceni_The_Denial_of_P

IMAGE SOURCE

From today’s reading:

…Peter followed them, but only for a short distance. He could not go farther. He sat down by the side of the road and wept bitterly…. (1981.3)184:2.9

I felt like weeping with him, because I too am so very human and prone to error.

Here, the Midwayers correct the Biblical account:

…Peter’s entire experience occurred in the courtyard of the palace of Annas on Mount Olivet. He did not follow Jesus to the palace of the high priest, Caiaphas…. (1981.4)184:2.10

All four of the Gospel writers record Peter’s denial, but they confuse and mix the details of the meeting at Annas’ home with the Master’s later appearance at Caiaphas’ palace.

From Matthew 26:

57 And they that had laid hold on Jesus led him away to Caiaphas the high priest, where the scribes and the elders were assembled.

58 But Peter followed him afar off unto the high priest’s palace, and went in, and sat with the servants, to see the end.

59 Now the chief priests, and elders, and all the council, sought false witness against Jesus, to put him to death;

60 But found none: yea, though many false witnesses came, yet found they none. At the last came two false witnesses,

61 And said, This fellow said, I am able to destroy the temple of God, and to build it in three days.

62 And the high priest arose, and said unto him, Answerest thou nothing? what is it which these witness against thee?

63 But Jesus held his peace, And the high priest answered and said unto him, I adjure thee by the living God, that thou tell us whether thou be the Christ, the Son of God.

64 Jesus saith unto him, Thou hast said: nevertheless I say unto you, Hereafter shall ye see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven.

65 Then the high priest rent his clothes, saying, He hath spoken blasphemy; what further need have we of witnesses? behold, now ye have heard his blasphemy.

66 What think ye? They answered and said, He is guilty of death.

67 Then did they spit in his face, and buffeted him; and others smote him with the palms of their hands,

68 Saying, Prophesy unto us, thou Christ, Who is he that smote thee?

69 Now Peter sat without in the palace: and a damsel came unto him, saying, Thou also wast with Jesus of Galilee.

70 But he denied before them all, saying, I know not what thou sayest.

71 And when he was gone out into the porch, another maid saw him, and said unto them that were there, This fellow was also with Jesus of Nazareth.

72 And again he denied with an oath, I do not know the man.

73 And after a while came unto him they that stood by, and said to Peter, Surely thou also art one of them; for thy speech bewrayeth thee.

74 Then began he to curse and to swear, saying, I know not the man. And immediately the cock crew.

75 And Peter remembered the word of Jesus, which said unto him, Before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice. And he went out, and wept bitterly.

From Mark 14:

53 And they led Jesus away to the high priest: and with him were assembled all the chief priests and the elders and the scribes.

54 And Peter followed him afar off, even into the palace of the high priest: and he sat with the servants, and warmed himself at the fire.

55 And the chief priests and all the council sought for witness against Jesus to put him to death; and found none.

56 For many bare false witness against him, but their witness agreed not together.

57 And there arose certain, and bare false witness against him, saying,

58 We heard him say, I will destroy this temple that is made with hands, and within three days I will build another made without hands.

59 But neither so did their witness agree together.

60 And the high priest stood up in the midst, and asked Jesus, saying, Answerest thou nothing? what is it which these witness against thee?

61 But he held his peace, and answered nothing. Again the high priest asked him, and said unto him, Art thou the Christ, the Son of the Blessed?

62 And Jesus said, I am: and ye shall see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven.

63 Then the high priest rent his clothes, and saith, What need we any further witnesses?

64 Ye have heard the blasphemy: what think ye? And they all condemned him to be guilty of death.

65 And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.

66 And as Peter was beneath in the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:

67 And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth.

68 But he denied, saying, I know not, neither understand I what thou sayest. And he went out into the porch; and the cock crew.

69 And a maid saw him again, and began to say to them that stood by, This is one of them.

70 And he denied it again. And a little after, they that stood by said again to Peter, Surely thou art one of them: for thou art a Galilaean, and thy speech agreeth thereto.

71 But he began to curse and to swear, saying, I know not this man of whom ye speak.

72 And the second time the cock crew. And Peter called to mind the word that Jesus said unto him, Before the cock crow twice, thou shalt deny me thrice. And when he thought thereon, he wept.

From Luke 23:

54 Then took they him, and led him, and brought him into the high priest’s house. And Peter followed afar off.

55 And when they had kindled a fire in the midst of the hall, and were set down together, Peter sat down among them.

56 But a certain maid beheld him as he sat by the fire, and earnestly looked upon him, and said, This man was also with him.

57 And he denied him, saying, Woman, I know him not.

58 And after a little while another saw him, and said, Thou art also of them. And Peter said, Man, I am not.

59 And about the space of one hour after another confidently affirmed, saying, Of a truth this fellow also was with him: for he is a Galilaean.

60 And Peter said, Man, I know not what thou sayest. And immediately, while he yet spake, the cock crew.

61 And the Lord turned, and looked upon Peter. And Peter remembered the word of the Lord, how he had said unto him, Before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.

62 And Peter went out, and wept bitterly.

John rightly records the first stop was Annas’ home. From his Gospel, chapter 18:

13 And led him away to Annas first; for he was father in law to Caiaphas, which was the high priest that same year.

14 Now Caiaphas was he, which gave counsel to the Jews, that it was expedient that one man should die for the people.

15 And Simon Peter followed Jesus, and so did another disciple: that disciple was known unto the high priest, and went in with Jesus into the palace of the high priest.

16 But Peter stood at the door without. Then went out that other disciple, which was known unto the high priest, and spake unto her that kept the door, and brought in Peter.

17 Then saith the damsel that kept the door unto Peter, Art not thou also one of this man’s disciples? He saith, I am not.

18 And the servants and officers stood there, who had made a fire of coals; for it was cold: and they warmed themselves: and Peter stood with them, and warmed himself.

19 The high priest then asked Jesus of his disciples, and of his doctrine.

20 Jesus answered him, I spake openly to the world; I ever taught in the synagogue, and in the temple, whither the Jews always resort; and in secret have I said nothing.

21 Why askest thou me? ask them which heard me, what I have said unto them: behold, they know what I said.

22 And when he had thus spoken, one of the officers which stood by struck Jesus with the palm of his hand, saying, Answerest thou the high priest so?

23 Jesus answered him, If I have spoken evil, bear witness of the evil: but if well, why smitest thou me?

24 Now Annas had sent him bound unto Caiaphas the high priest.

25 And Simon Peter stood and warmed himself. They said therefore unto him, Art not thou also one of his disciples? He denied it, and said, I am not.

26 One of the servants of the high priest, being his kinsman whose ear Peter cut off, saith, Did not I see thee in the garden with him?

27 Peter then denied again: and immediately the cock crew.

Wish I could find the quote that complements this one from the Midwayers in today’s reading:

…It requires a great and noble character, having started out wrong, to turn about and go right. All too often one’s own mind tends to justify continuance in the path of error when once it is entered upon…. (1981.6)184:2.12

Therefore Peter showed greatness and nobility, even as he wept.

The Midwayers end today’s reading with this:

…Peter never fully believed that he could be forgiven until he met his Master after the resurrection and saw that he was received just as before the experiences of this tragic night of the denials…. (1982.1)184:2.13

From Paper 191:

…It was near half past eight o’clock this Sunday evening when Jesus appeared to Simon Peter in the garden of the Mark home. This was his eighth morontia manifestation. Peter had lived under a heavy burden of doubt and guilt ever since his denial of the Master. All day Saturday and this Sunday he had fought the fear that, perhaps, he was no longer an apostle. He had shuddered at the fate of Judas and even thought that he, too, had betrayed his Master. All this afternoon he thought that it might be his presence with the apostles that prevented Jesus’ appearing to them, provided, of course, he had really risen from the dead. And it was to Peter, in such a frame of mind and in such a state of soul, that Jesus appeared as the dejected apostle strolled among the flowers and shrubs…. (2039.1)191:1.1

William_Hole_Peters_Denial_400.jpg

IMAGE SOURCE

In tomorrow’s reading, part 1 of Section 3. Before the Court of Sanhedrists, Jesus is brought before Caiaphas, the « brusque and aggressive » son-in-law of Annas. The Master’s composure and silence enrages the high priest who shouts at him demanding a response.

1. Examination by Annas

Richard E Warren

Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant

Today’s Presentation

[Part 1 of 2]

It was about half past three o’clock this Friday morning when the chief priest, Caiaphas, called the Sanhedrist court of inquiry to order and asked that Jesus be brought before them for his formal trial. On three previous occasions the Sanhedrin, by a large majority vote, had decreed the death of Jesus, had decided that he was worthy of death on informal charges of lawbreaking, blasphemy, and flouting the traditions of the fathers of Israel.*

(1982.3)184:3.2 This was not a regularly called meeting of the Sanhedrin and was not held in the usual place, the chamber of hewn stone in the temple. This was a special trial court of some thirty Sanhedrists and was convened in the palace of the high priest. John Zebedee was present with Jesus throughout this so-called trial.

(1982.4)184:3.3 How these chief priests, scribes, Sadducees, and some of the Pharisees flattered themselves that Jesus, the disturber of their position and the challenger of their authority, was now securely in their hands! And they were resolved that he should never live to escape their vengeful clutches.

(1982.5)184:3.4 Ordinarily, the Jews, when trying a man on a capital charge, proceeded with great caution and provided every safeguard of fairness in the selection of witnesses and the entire conduct of the trial. But on this occasion, Caiaphas was more of a prosecutor than an unbiased judge.

(1982.6)184:3.5 Jesus appeared before this court clothed in his usual garments and with his hands bound together behind his back. The entire court was startled and somewhat confused by his majestic appearance. Never had they gazed upon such a prisoner nor witnessed such composure in a man on trial for his life.

(1982.7)184:3.6 The Jewish law required that at least two witnesses must agree upon any point before a charge could be laid against the prisoner. Judas could not be used as a witness against Jesus because the Jewish law specifically forbade the testimony of a traitor. More than a score of false witnesses were on hand to testify against Jesus, but their testimony was so contradictory and so evidently trumped up that the Sanhedrists themselves were very much ashamed of the performance. Jesus stood there, looking down benignly upon these perjurers, and his very countenance disconcerted the lying witnesses. Throughout all this false testimony the Master never said a word; he made no reply to their many false accusations.

(1982.8)184:3.7 The first time any two of their witnesses approached even the semblance of an agreement was when two men testified that they had heard Jesus say in the course of one of his temple discourses that he would “destroy this temple made with hands and in three days make another temple without hands.” That was not exactly what Jesus said, regardless of the fact that he pointed to his own body when he made the remark referred to.

(1982.9)184:3.8 Although the high priest shouted at Jesus, “Do you not answer any of these charges?” Jesus opened not his mouth. He stood there in silence while all of these false witnesses gave their testimony. Hatred, fanaticism, and unscrupulous exaggeration so characterized the words of these perjurers that their testimony fell in its own entanglements. The very best refutation of their false accusations was the Master’s calm and majestic silence.

Richard E Warren

Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant

Good Day Bonita, Bradly, nelsong, Alina, Carola, Fellow Students, Forum Friends, Members and Guests,

William_Hole_Jesus_is_brought_before_the

IMAGE SOURCE

Caiaphas’ name appears in 27 paragraphs of the book. InPaper 185 we are told that Jesus might have been set free if not for him:

…Pilate was just about ready to release Jesus when Caiaphas, the high priest, approached the cowardly Roman judge and, shaking an avenging finger in Pilate’s face, said with angry words which the entire multitude could hear: “If you release this man, you are not Caesar’s friend, and I will see that the emperor knows all…. » (1996.4)185:7.5

Caiaphas is known in secular and Biblical history. From Wikipedia:

The 1st-century Jewish historian Josephus is considered the most reliable literary source for Caiaphas. His works contain information on the dates for Caiaphas’s tenure of the high priesthood, along with reports on other high priests, and also help to establish a coherent description of the responsibilities of the high-priestly office. Josephus (Antiquitates Judaicae 18.33-35) relates that Caiaphas became a high priest during a turbulent period. He also states that the proconsul Vitellius deposed him (Antiquitates Judaicae 18.95-97). Josephus’ account is based on an older source in which incumbents of the high priesthood were listed chronologically.

…In Matthew 26:57-67, Caiaphas, other chief priests, and the Bet Shammai dominated Sanhedrin of the time are depicted interrogating Jesus. They are looking for « false evidence » with which to frame Jesus, but are unable to find any. Jesus remains silent throughout the proceedings until Caiaphas demands that Jesus say whether he is the Christ. Jesus replies « You have said so », 26:64, and « I am: and you will see the Son of Man seated at the right hand of power, and coming on the clouds of heaven. » 14:62 Caiaphas and the other men charge him with blasphemy and order him beaten.

This is fascinating. Evidently Peter and John Z will also appear before Caiaphas, and be released! From the same Wikipedia article:

Later, in Acts 4, Peter and John went before Annas and Caiaphas after having healed a crippled man. Caiaphas and Annas questioned the apostles’ authority to perform such a miracle. When Peter, full of the Holy Spirit, answered that Jesus of Nazareth was the source of their power, Caiaphas and the other priests realized that the two men had no formal education yet spoke eloquently about the man they called their saviour. Caiaphas sent the apostles away, and agreed with the other priests that the word of the miracle had already been spread too much to attempt to refute, and instead the priests would need to warn the apostles not to spread the name of Jesus. However, when they gave Peter and John this command, the two refused, saying « Judge for yourselves whether it is right in God’s sight to obey you rather than God. For we cannot help speaking about what we have seen and heard. »

From Acts 4:

1 And as they spake unto the people, the priests, and the captain of the temple, and the Sadducees, came upon them,

Being grieved that they taught the people, and preached through Jesus the resurrection from the dead.

And they laid hands on them, and put them in hold unto the next day: for it was now eventide.

Howbeit many of them which heard the word believed; and the number of the men was about five thousand.

And it came to pass on the morrow, that their rulers, and elders, and scribes,

And Annas the high priest, and Caiaphas, and John, and Alexander, and as many as were of the kindred of the high priest, were gathered together at Jerusalem.

And when they had set them in the midst, they asked, By what power, or by what name, have ye done this?

Then Peter, filled with the Holy Ghost, said unto them, Ye rulers of the people, and elders of Israel,

If we this day be examined of the good deed done to the impotent man, by what means he is made whole;

10 Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole.

11 This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner.

12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

13 Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were unlearned and ignorant men, they marvelled; and they took knowledge of them, that they had been with Jesus.

14 And beholding the man which was healed standing with them, they could say nothing against it.

15 But when they had commanded them to go aside out of the council, they conferred among themselves,

16 Saying, What shall we do to these men? for that indeed a notable miracle hath been done by them is manifest to all them that dwell in Jerusalem; and we cannot deny it.

17 But that it spread no further among the people, let us straitly threaten them, that they speak henceforth to no man in this name.

18 And they called them, and commanded them not to speak at all nor teach in the name of Jesus.

19 But Peter and John answered and said unto them, Whether it be right in the sight of God to hearken unto you more than unto God, judge ye.

20 For we cannot but speak the things which we have seen and heard.

21 So when they had further threatened them, they let them go, finding nothing how they might punish them, because of the people: for all men glorified God for that which was done.

Three of the four Gospel compilers have something about this first phase of the Master’s « so-called trial ».

From Matthew 26:

57 Those who had arrested Jesus took him to Caiaphas the high priest, where the teachers of the law and the elders had assembled.

58 But Peter followed him at a distance, right up to the courtyard of the high priest. He entered and sat down with the guards to see the outcome.

59 The chief priests and the whole Sanhedrin were looking for false evidence against Jesus so that they could put him to death.

60 But they did not find any, though many false witnesses came forward. Finally two came forward

61 and declared, “This fellow said, ‘I am able to destroy the temple of God and rebuild it in three days.’”

62 Then the high priest stood up and said to Jesus, “Are you not going to answer? What is this testimony that these men are bringing against you?”

63 But Jesus remained silent.

From Mark 14:

53 They took Jesus to the high priest, and all the chief priests, the elders and the teachers of the law came together.

54 Peter followed him at a distance, right into the courtyard of the high priest. There he sat with the guards and warmed himself at the fire.

55 The chief priests and the whole Sanhedrin were looking for evidence against Jesus so that they could put him to death, but they did not find any.

56 Many testified falsely against him, but their statements did not agree.

57 Then some stood up and gave this false testimony against him:

58 “We heard him say, ‘I will destroy this temple made with human hands and in three days will build another, not made with hands.’”

59 Yet even then their testimony did not agree.

60 Then the high priest stood up before them and asked Jesus, “Are you not going to answer? What is this testimony that these men are bringing against you?” 61 But Jesus remained silent and gave no answer.

From Luke 22:

66 And as soon as it was day, the elders of the people and the chief priests and the scribes came together, and led him into their council…

…The very best refutation of their false accusations was the Master’s calm and majestic silence…. (1982.9)184:3.8

William_Hole_Jesus_is_brought_before_the

IMAGE SOURCE

In tomorrow’s reading, part 2 of Section 3. Before the Court of Sanhedrists, Annas arrives trying, without success, to impose order. In a rage, Caiaphas declares Jesus guilty, then assaults him. The trial before Caiaphas ends, and as they leave the other Sanhedrists spit upon and slap this « God-man ».

1. Examination by Annas

Richard E Warren

Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant

Today’s Presentation

[Part 2 of 2]

Shortly after the beginning of the testimony of the false witnesses, Annas arrived and took his seat beside Caiaphas. Annas now arose and argued that this threat of Jesus to destroy the temple was sufficient to warrant three charges against him:

1. That he was a dangerous traducer of the people. That he taught them impossible things and otherwise deceived them.

2. That he was a fanatical revolutionist in that he advocated laying violent hands on the sacred temple, else how could he destroy it?

3. That he taught magic inasmuch as he promised to build a new temple, and that without hands.

(1983.5)184:3.13 Already had the full Sanhedrin agreed that Jesus was guilty of death-deserving transgressions of the Jewish laws, but they were now more concerned with developing charges regarding his conduct and teachings which would justify Pilate in pronouncing the death sentence upon their prisoner. They knew that they must secure the consent of the Roman governor before Jesus could legally be put to death. And Annas was minded to proceed along the line of making it appear that Jesus was a dangerous teacher to be abroad among the people.

(1983.6)184:3.14 But Caiaphas could not longer endure the sight of the Master standing there in perfect composure and unbroken silence. He thought he knew at least one way in which the prisoner might be induced to speak. Accordingly, he rushed over to the side of Jesus and, shaking his accusing finger in the Master’s face, said: “I adjure you, in the name of the living God, that you tell us whether you are the Deliverer, the Son of God.” Jesus answered Caiaphas: “I am. Soon I go to the Father, and presently shall the Son of Man be clothed with power and once more reign over the hosts of heaven.”

(1983.7)184:3.15 When the high priest heard Jesus utter these words, he was exceedingly angry, and rending his outer garments, he exclaimed: “What further need have we of witnesses? Behold, now have you all heard this man’s blasphemy. What do you now think should be done with this lawbreaker and blasphemer?” And they all answered in unison, “He is worthy of death; let him be crucified.”*

(1983.8)184:3.16 Jesus manifested no interest in any question asked him when before Annas or the Sanhedrists except the one question relative to his bestowal mission. When asked if he were the Son of God, he instantly and unequivocally answered in the affirmative.

(1983.9)184:3.17 Annas desired that the trial proceed further, and that charges of a definite nature regarding Jesus’ relation to the Roman law and Roman institutions be formulated for subsequent presentation to Pilate. The councilors were anxious to carry these matters to a speedy termination, not only because it was the preparation day for the Passover and no secular work should be done after noon, but also because they feared Pilate might any time return to the Roman capital of Judea, Caesarea, since he was in Jerusalem only for the Passover celebration.

(1983.10)184:3.18 But Annas did not succeed in keeping control of the court. After Jesus had so unexpectedly answered Caiaphas, the high priest stepped forward and smote him in the face with his hand. Annas was truly shocked as the other members of the court, in passing out of the room, spit in Jesus’ face, and many of them mockingly slapped him with the palms of their hands. And thus in disorder and with such unheard-of confusion this first session of the Sanhedrist trial of Jesus ended at half past four o’clock.

(1984.1)184:3.19 Thirty prejudiced and tradition-blinded false judges, with their false witnesses, are presuming to sit in judgment on the righteous Creator of a universe. And these impassioned accusers are exasperated by the majestic silence and superb bearing of this God-man. His silence is terrible to endure; his speech is fearlessly defiant. He is unmoved by their threats and undaunted by their assaults. Man sits in judgment on God, but even then he loves them and would save them if he could.

Richard E Warren

Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant

Greetings Brad, nelsong, Bonita, Alina, Carola, Fellow Students, Forum Friends, Members and Visitors,

Annas purposely skewed Jesus’ words to make him appear guilty. But Jesus made it easy with cryptic statements about the destruction of the temple at Jerusalem.

The three charges Annas brought against Jesus were entirely and completely justifiable to the entrenched minds of first century humans, especially when the crimes behind the charges threatened their beliefs and income.

(Traduce = to speak maliciously and falsely of; slander; defame)

James_Tissot_The_High_Priest_Rends_His_C

IMAGE SOURCE

Caiaphas seems very aggressive, intolerant and hostile, but it isn’t clear to me whether he ripped his own clothes or Jesus’. From today’s reading:

…When the high priest heard Jesus utter these words, he was exceedingly angry, and rending his outer garments he exclaimed: “What further need have we of witnesses? » (1983.7)184:3.15

The trial was fragmentarily recorded in the Bible’s New Testament.

From Matthew 26:

63 …And the high priest answered and said unto him, I adjure thee by the living God, that thou tell us whether thou be the Christ, the Son of God.

64 Jesus saith unto him, Thou hast said: nevertheless I say unto you, Hereafter shall ye see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven.

65 Then the high priest rent his clothes, saying, He hath spoken blasphemy; what further need have we of witnesses? behold, now ye have heard his blasphemy.

66 What think ye? They answered and said, He is guilty of death.

From Mark 14:

61 But he held his peace, and answered nothing. Again the high priest asked him, and said unto him, Art thou the Christ, the Son of the Blessed?

62 And Jesus said, I am: and ye shall see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven.

63 Then the high priest rent his clothes, and saith, What need we any further witnesses?

64 Ye have heard the blasphemy: what think ye? And they all condemned him to be guilty of death.

From Luke 22:

67 Art thou the Christ? tell us. And he said unto them, If I tell you, ye will not believe:

68 And if I also ask you, ye will not answer me, nor let me go.

69 Hereafter shall the Son of man sit on the right hand of the power of God.

70 Then said they all, Art thou then the Son of God? And he said unto them, Ye say that I am.

71 And they said, What need we any further witness? for we ourselves have heard of his own mouth.

What a farce, and what a disgrace that our sovereign should be so treated by his own creatures. The Midwayers portray the situation with such devastating accuracy and righteous condemnation that only the stone-hearted could stand unmoved. From today’s reading:

…And these impassioned accusers are exasperated by the majestic silence and superb bearing of this God-man…. (1984.1)184:3.19

Tomorrow’s reading is Section 4. The Hour of Humiliation, in which a chilling and terrible scene unfolds. Jesus is left alone with heartless teasers, taunters and torturers. And the Midwayers lament that cruel streak in human nature which is at the root of such sub-human behavior, that even animals do not indulge.

1. Examination by Annas

Richard E Warren

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant
    Rick Warren wrote:  Caiaphas seems very aggressive, intolerant and hostile, but it isn’t clear to me whether he ripped his own clothes or Jesus’. From today’s reading:

It’s clear that he rent his own clothing.  Jewish law gives four instances when one should rend garments: (1) death of a family member; (2)  apostasy of a family member; (3) destruction of a copy of the Torah; and (4) blasphemy.  Ciaphas tore his garment in response to Jesus’ admission that he was the Son of God.  In the case of blasphemy, a priest is supposed to rend  his clothing symbolizing a rift that cannot be repaired.  It represents the death of an Israelite and the priest’s participation in Israel’s grief over having given birth to a blasphemer of God.  The priest’s rent clothing also symbolizes the guilt of  Israel which has been unable to prevent the disfigurement of the immaculate garments of « the bride of heaven ».  

Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant
    Rick Warren wrote: Caiaphas seems very aggressive, intolerant and hostile, but it isn’t clear to me whether he ripped his own clothes or Jesus’. From today’s reading:

It’s clear that he rent his own clothing. Jewish law gives four instances when one should rend garments: (1) death of a family member; (2) apostasy of a family member; (3) destruction of a copy of the Torah; and (4) blasphemy. Ciaphas tore his garment in response to Jesus’ admission that he was the Son of God. In the case of blasphemy, a priest is supposed to rend his clothing symbolizing a rift that cannot be repaired. It represents the death of an Israelite and the priest’s participation in Israel’s grief over having given birth to a blasphemer of God. The priest’s rent clothing also symbolizes the guilt of Israel which has been unable to prevent the disfigurement of the immaculate garments of “the bride of heaven”.

Fascinating! Thanks Bonita. Is that Biblical? Where does one find these four laws of rent robes?

Richard E Warren

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant
    Rick Warren wrote:Fascinating! Thanks Bonita. Is that Biblical? Where does one find these four laws of rent robes?
    The Talmud.

Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant
    Rick Warren wrote:Fascinating! Thanks Bonita. Is that Biblical? Where does one find these four laws of rent robes?
    The Talmud.

Here is some of the law on rending garments, from the « Babylonian Talmud » (Filio 60A):

…Our Rabbis taught: He who hears [the Name blasphemed], and he who hears it from the person who first heard it [i.e., from the witness who testifies], are both bound to rend their garments. But the witnesses are not obliged to rend their clothes [when they hear themselves repeating the blasphemy in the course of their testimony], because they had already done so on first hearing it. But what does this matter: do they not hear it now too?23  — You cannot think so, because it is written, And it came to pass, when king Hezekiah heard it [sc. the report of Rab-Shakeh’s blasphemy] that he rent his clothes. Thus, Hezekiah rent his clothes, but they did not.

Rab Judah said in Samuel’s name: He who hears the Divine Name blasphemed by a gentile need not rend his clothes. But if you will object, what of Rab-Shakeh?24  — He was an apostate Israelite.

Rab Judah also said in Samuel’s name: One must rend his clothes only on hearing the Shem hameyuhad25  blasphemed, but not for an attribute of the Divine Name. Now both of these statements conflict with R. Hiyya’s views. For R. Hiyya said: He who hears the Divine Name blasphemed nowadays need not rend his garments, for otherwise one’s garments would be reduced to tatters.26  From whom does he hear it? If from an Israelite — are they so unbridled [as to sin thus so frequently]? But it is obvious that he refers to a gentile. Now, if the Shem hameyuhad is meant, are the gentiles so well acquainted with it [as to make such frequency possible]? Hence it must refer to an attribute, and concerning that he says that only nowadays is one exempt, but formerly one had to rend his clothes. This proof is conclusive.

Richard E Warren

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

Sanhedrin 56a, from the same source, has more information.

15 sujets de 1 à 15 (sur un total de 20)

Login to reply to this topic.

Not registered? Sign up here.