PAPER 178 – LAST DAY AT THE CAMP

Home Forums Online Urantia Book Study Groups One Page a Day Study Group (OPAD) PAPER 178 – LAST DAY AT THE CAMP

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant

Just heard this, attributed to Francis of Asissi.

“Preach the gospel, and if necessary, use words.”

Compare with this one from the Midwayers:

…As a rule, to those he taught the most, he said the least….(1460.6) 132:4.2

Richard E Warren

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

Then there’s this one:

P.1726 – §2 Let me emphatically state this eternal truth: If you, by truth co-ordination, learn to exemplify in your lives this beautiful wholeness of righteousness, your fellow men will then seek after you that they may gain what you have so acquired. The measure wherewith truth seekers are drawn to you represents the measure of your truth endowment, your righteousness.The extent to which you have to go with your message to the people is, in a way, the measure of your failure to live the whole or righteous life, the truth-co-ordinated life .

Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant

Welcome to The OPAD Online Study Session

Today’s Presentation

Paper 178 – LAST DAY AT THE CAMP

2. After the Noontime Meal

Not many of the Master’s hearers were able to take in even a part of his forenoon address. Of all who heard him, the Greeks comprehended most. Even the eleven apostles were bewildered by his allusions to future political kingdoms and to successive generations of kingdom believers. Jesus’ most devoted followers could not reconcile the impending end of his earthly ministry with these references to an extended future of gospel activities. Some of these Jewish believers were beginning to sense that earth’s greatest tragedy was about to take place, but they could not reconcile such an impending disaster with either the Master’s cheerfully indifferent personal attitude or his forenoon discourse, wherein he repeatedly alluded to the future transactions of the heavenly kingdom, extending over vast stretches of time and embracing relations with many and successive temporal kingdoms on earth.

(1932.5)178:2.2 By noon of this day all the apostles and disciples had learned about the hasty flight of Lazarus from Bethany. They began to sense the grim determination of the Jewish rulers to exterminate Jesus and his teachings.

(1932.6)178:2.3 David Zebedee, through the work of his secret agents in Jerusalem, was fully advised concerning the progress of the plan to arrest and kill Jesus. He knew all about the part of Judas in this plot, but he never disclosed this knowledge to the other apostles nor to any of the disciples. Shortly after lunch he did lead Jesus aside and, making bold, asked him whether he knew — but he never got further with his question. The Master, holding up his hand, stopped him, saying: “Yes, David, I know all about it, and I know that you know, but see to it that you tell no man. Only doubt not in your own heart that the will of God will prevail in the end.”

(1933.1)178:2.4 This conversation with David was interrupted by the arrival of a messenger from Philadelphia bringing word that Abner had heard of the plot to kill Jesus and asking if he should depart for Jerusalem. This runner hastened off for Philadelphia with this word for Abner: “Go on with your work. If I depart from you in the flesh, it is only that I may return in the spirit. I will not forsake you. I will be with you to the end.”

(1933.2)178:2.5 About this time Philip came to the Master and asked: “Master, seeing that the time of the Passover draws near, where would you have us prepare to eat it?” And when Jesus heard Philip’s question, he answered: “Go and bring Peter and John, and I will give you directions concerning the supper we will eat together this night. As for the Passover, that you will have to consider after we have first done this.”

(1933.3)178:2.6 When Judas heard the Master speaking with Philip about these matters, he drew closer that he might overhear their conversation. But David Zebedee, who was standing near, stepped up and engaged Judas in conversation while Philip, Peter, and John went to one side to talk with the Master.

(1933.4)178:2.7 Said Jesus to the three: “Go immediately into Jerusalem, and as you enter the gate, you will meet a man bearing a water pitcher. He will speak to you, and then shall you follow him. When he leads you to a certain house, go in after him and ask of the good man of that house, ‘Where is the guest chamber wherein the Master is to eat supper with his apostles?’ And when you have thus inquired, this householder will show you a large upper room all furnished and ready for us.”

(1933.5)178:2.8 When the apostles reached the city, they met the man with the water pitcher near the gate and followed on after him to the home of John Mark, where the lad’s father met them and showed them the upper room in readiness for the evening meal.

(1933.6)178:2.9 And all of this came to pass as the result of an understanding arrived at between the Master and John Mark during the afternoon of the preceding day when they were alone in the hills. Jesus wanted to be sure he would have this one last meal undisturbed with his apostles, and believing if Judas knew beforehand of their place of meeting he might arrange with his enemies to take him, he made this secret arrangement with John Mark. In this way Judas did not learn of their place of meeting until later on when he arrived there in company with Jesus and the other apostles.

(1933.7)178:2.10 David Zebedee had much business to transact with Judas so that he was easily prevented from following Peter, John, and Philip, as he so much desired to do. When Judas gave David a certain sum of money for provisions, David said to him: “Judas, might it not be well, under the circumstances, to provide me with a little money in advance of my actual needs?” And after Judas had reflected for a moment, he answered: “Yes, David, I think it would be wise. In fact, in view of the disturbed conditions in Jerusalem, I think it would be best for me to turn over all the money to you. They plot against the Master, and in case anything should happen to me, you would not be hampered.”

(1934.1)178:2.11 And so David received all the apostolic cash funds and receipts for all money on deposit. Not until the evening of the next day did the apostles learn of this transaction.

(1934.2)178:2.12 It was about half past four o’clock when the three apostles returned and informed Jesus that everything was in readiness for the supper. The Master immediately prepared to lead his twelve apostles over the trail to the Bethany road and on into Jerusalem. And this was the last journey he ever made with all twelve of them.

[Each OPAD presentation is copied from The Urantia Book published by Urantia Foundation. Questions and comments related to the Paper under discussion are welcome and encouraged. In-depth questions and related topics may be studied in branch threads in the OPAD, or other subforums, as you require. Thank you for studying with us.]

Richard E Warren

Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant

Good Day Bonita, Brad, Keryn, Alina, Carolyn, Carola, Fellow Students, Forum Friends, Members and Guests,

How interesting that the Greeks understood better than Jesus’ apostles–who had been with him for years! From the first paragraph of today’s reading:

…Not many of the Master’s hearers were able to take in even a part of his forenoon address. Of all who heard him, the Greeks comprehended most…. (1932.4)178:2.1

It must have been a rather strange morning at the campsite, what with the tension around the thing they all sensed, the impending death of their leader. It was busy, messages flowing from and to Lazarus, David attempting to tell Jesus about Judas, Jesus sending Peter, John and Philip into Jerusalem, the transfer of the funds from Judas to David.

The synoptic Gospels each have a version of the apostles’ preparatory visit to the upper room at the home of John Mark. Two of them recalled the water pitcher, none of them mentioned Philip.

From Luke 22:

And he sent Peter and John, saying, Go and prepare us the passover, that we may eat.

And they said unto him, Where wilt thou that we prepare?

10 And he said unto them, Behold, when ye are entered into the city, there shall a man meet you, bearing a pitcher of water; follow him into the house where he entereth in.

11 And ye shall say unto the goodman of the house, The Master saith unto thee, Where is the guestchamber, where I shall eat the passover with my disciples?

12 And he shall shew you a large upper room furnished: there make ready.

13 And they went, and found as he had said unto them: and they made ready the passover.

From Mark 14:

12 And the first day of unleavened bread, when they killed the passover, his disciples said unto him, Where wilt thou that we go and prepare that thou mayest eat the passover?

13 And he sendeth forth two of his disciples, and saith unto them, Go ye into the city, and there shall meet you a man bearing a pitcher of water: follow him.

14 And wheresoever he shall go in, say ye to the goodman of the house, The Master saith, Where is the guestchamber, where I shall eat the passover with my disciples?

15 And he will shew you a large upper room furnished and prepared: there make ready for us.

16 And his disciples went forth, and came into the city, and found as he had said unto them: and they made ready the passover.

17 And in the evening he cometh with the twelve.

From Matthew 26:

17 Now the first day of the feast of unleavened bread the disciples came to Jesus, saying unto him, Where wilt thou that we prepare for thee to eat the passover?

18 And he said, Go into the city to such a man, and say unto him, The Master saith, My time is at hand; I will keep the passover at thy house with my disciples.

19 And the disciples did as Jesus had appointed them; and they made ready the passover.

20 Now when the even was come, he sat down with the twelve.

Harold_Copping_Preparation_For_The_Last_

IMAGE SOURCE

O, the duplicity in the betrayer’s heart! Judas in today’s reading:

“…They plot against the Master, and in case anything should happen to me, you would not be hampered….” (1933.7)178:2.10

Judas has but a few hours to live too, but it must be noted he did do the right thing with the apostolic funds. He could have kept them for himself.

In tomorrow’s reading, Section 3. On the Way to the Supper, Jesus leads them into the city, but first gives a short and plain speech, on the brow of Olivet, summing up their training and strengthening them for the terrible ordeal just ahead.

Overview of Paper 178 – Last Day at the Camp

1. Discourse on Sonship and Citizenship

3. On the Way to the Supper

This group of papers [121-196] was sponsored by a commission of twelve Urantia midwayers acting under the supervision of a Melchizedek revelatory director. The basis of this narrative was supplied by a secondary midwayer who was onetime assigned to the superhuman watchcare of the Apostle Andrew.

Listen to Paper 178: (click the speaker icon at the top of the page)

Thanks for reading. Members’ thoughts, reflections, insights, observations, comments, corrections and questions about today’s OPAD presentation are invited.

Much love, Rick/OPAD host.

Richard E Warren

Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant

Welcome to The OPAD Online Study Session

Today’s Presentation

Paper 178 – LAST DAY AT THE CAMP

Seeking again to avoid the crowds passing through the Kidron valley back and forth between Gethsemane Park and Jerusalem, Jesus and the twelve walked over the western brow of Mount Olivet to meet the road leading from Bethany down to the city. As they drew near the place where Jesus had tarried the previous evening to discourse on the destruction of Jerusalem, they unconsciously paused while they stood and looked down in silence upon the city. As they were a little early, and since Jesus did not wish to pass through the city until after sunset, he said to his associates:

(1934.4) 178:3.2 “Sit down and rest yourselves while I talk with you about what must shortly come to pass. All these years have I lived with you as brethren, and I have taught you the truth concerning the kingdom of heaven and have revealed to you the mysteries thereof. And my Father has indeed done many wonderful works in connection with my mission on earth. You have been witnesses of all this and partakers in the experience of being laborers together with God. And you will bear me witness that I have for some time warned you that I must presently return to the work the Father has given me to do; I have plainly told you that I must leave you in the world to carry on the work of the kingdom. It was for this purpose that I set you apart, in the hills of Capernaum. The experience you have had with me, you must now make ready to share with others. As the Father sent me into this world, so am I about to send you forth to represent me and finish the work I have begun.

(1934.5) 178:3.3 “You look down on yonder city in sorrow, for you have heard my words telling of the end of Jerusalem. I have forewarned you lest you should perish in her destruction and so delay the proclamation of the gospel of the kingdom. Likewise do I warn you to take heed lest you needlessly expose yourselves to peril when they come to take the Son of Man. I must go, but you are to remain to witness to this gospel when I have gone, even as I directed that Lazarus flee from the wrath of man that he might live to make known the glory of God. If it is the Father’s will that I depart, nothing you may do can frustrate the divine plan. Take heed to yourselves lest they kill you also. Let your souls be valiant in defense of the gospel by spirit power but be not misled into any foolish attempt to defend the Son of Man. I need no defense by the hand of man; the armies of heaven are even now near at hand; but I am determined to do the will of my Father in heaven, and therefore must we submit to that which is so soon to come upon us.

(1934.6) 178:3.4 “When you see this city destroyed, forget not that you have entered already upon the eternal life of endless service in the ever-advancing kingdom of heaven, even of the heaven of heavens. You should know that in my Father’s universe and in mine are many abodes, and that there awaits the children of light the revelation of cities whose builder is God and worlds whose habit of life is righteousness and joy in the truth. I have brought the kingdom of heaven to you here on earth, but I declare that all of you who by faith enter therein and remain therein by the living service of truth, shall surely ascend to the worlds on high and sit with me in the spirit kingdom of our Father. But first must you gird yourselves and complete the work which you have begun with me. You must first pass through much tribulation and endure many sorrows — and these trials are even now upon us — and when you have finished your work on earth, you shall come to my joy, even as I have finished my Father’s work on earth and am about to return to his embrace.”

(1935.1) 178:3.5 When the Master had spoken, he arose, and they all followed him down Olivet and into the city. None of the apostles, save three, knew where they were going as they made their way along the narrow streets in the approaching darkness. The crowds jostled them, but no one recognized them nor knew that the Son of God was passing by on his way to the last mortal rendezvous with his chosen ambassadors of the kingdom. And neither did the apostles know that one of their own number had already entered into a conspiracy to betray the Master into the hands of his enemies.

(1935.2) 178:3.6 John Mark had followed them all the way into the city, and after they had entered the gate, he hurried on by another street so that he was waiting to welcome them to his father’s home when they arrived.

[Each OPAD presentation is copied from The Urantia Book published by Urantia Foundation. Questions and comments related to the Paper under discussion are welcome and encouraged. In-depth questions and related topics may be studied in branch threads in the OPAD, or other subforums, as you require. Thank you for studying with us.]

Richard E Warren

Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant

Greetings Bonita, Keryn, Brad, Alina, Carola, Fellow Students, Forum Friends, Members and Visitors,

Perhaps the most famous meal in Urantia’s history is about to be served, Jesus is hosting in a place where none suspect, thanks to John Mark and his parents.

map-34-735px.jpg?1402517918

IMAGE SOURCE

But first they have one last talk, out in the open air, as the sun sets over Jerusalem on the Master’s last full day on Urantia.

Hard to imagine Jesus doing anything “unconsciously”, but who knows?? From today’s text:

…As they drew near the place where Jesus had tarried the previous evening to discourse on the destruction of Jerusalem, they unconsciously paused while they stood and looked down in silence upon the city….  (1934.4) 178:3.2

Thomas_Seddon_Jerusalem_and_the_Valley_o

IMAGE SOURCE

Bits of this last talk on the brow of Olivet were recalled and recorded by all four of the Gospel writers.

From various verses of John 14:

In my Father’s house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.

12 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.

28 Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I.

29 And now I have told you before it come to pass, that, when it is come to pass, ye might believe.

31 But that the world may know that I love the Father; and as the Father gave me commandment, even so I do. Arise, let us go hence.

Matthew, Mark and Luke all use about the same words regarding Jesus’ advice to flee when Jerusalem falls:

From Luke 21:

20 And when ye shall see Jerusalem compassed with armies, then know that the desolation thereof is nigh.

21 Then let them which are in Judaea flee to the mountains; and let them which are in the midst of it depart out; and let not them that are in the countries enter thereinto.

That is all of Paper 178. Tomorrow’s reading is the introduction to 179 THE LAST SUPPER, where we are told Jesus will host the twelve at yet another of his lamb-less Passover meals. They are greeted by John Mark’s parents after which they go immediately to the private “upper room” for a final gathering and private ceremony, attended by Jesus, his trusted associates and ordained ministers of the Gospel, except for one.

Overview of Paper 178 – Last Day at the Camp

1. Discourse on Sonship and Citizenship

This group of papers [121-196] was sponsored by a commission of twelve Urantia midwayers acting under the supervision of a Melchizedek revelatory director. The basis of this narrative was supplied by a secondary midwayer who was onetime assigned to the superhuman watchcare of the Apostle Andrew.

Listen to Paper 178: (click the speaker icon at the top of the page)

Thanks for reading. Members’ thoughts, reflections, insights, observations, comments, corrections and questions about today’s OPAD presentation are invited.

Much love, Rick/OPAD host.

Richard E Warren

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

Login to reply to this topic.

Not registered? Sign up here.