Origins

4 sujets de 1 à 4 (sur un total de 4)
  • Auteur
    Ramblon
    Participant

The more of the Urantia Book I read, the more I enjoy it. I do believe it to be the most accurate and inclusive of all the important writings of this century. Still, I probably spend an equal amount of time researching it’s origin. Why not? It is relatively recent. I was born in 1950 and I know where I came from, my earthy father and grandfather etc. I exist and have no reason to doubt my birth certificate. My sixth grade school teacher made his class apply for social security registry, so I also exist as a number. I have become « public information » like it or not.

So has the Urantia Book. There were some early issues in regards to copyrights. To me that draws attention so far as applying some worry that this information has monetary value. Perhaps is was intended to keep others from profiting from the writings. I am sure that Mary Baker Eddy produced a profitable Religion called Christian Science. She sued others for publishing information that other students of Phineas Parkhearst Quimby taught them. She won because the family of Quimby would not release his work. It eventually was published in around 1950. Perhaps 100 years too late.  I did look up the lawsuit in ol newspaper records.

Quimby did not place a value on his work. He felt it important, but not for financial gain. His manuscripts are a bit hard to read. He was not well educated and it shows.

So, I did agree in much of Eddy’s Book. She declared Jesus as the first Scientist. A Living Soul knew the Law and could use it. Sin, disease were human errors that a Christian Scientist could correct. Her « Practioners » required a fee for healing. Isn’t that special!

Quimby kept no secrets. He explained (as best he could) how he came to be a healer. Like the apostle Paul, he, himself had a « thorn in his side ». A disease. He learned « mesmerism » and had a subject that would « enter » a human body and diagnose disease. He of course had his subject aid in his own cure. Eventually, he did not need a hypnotized human diagnostic machine.

I was satisfied with the origin of Christian Science and concluded that Eddy was a thief that profited from a man that did not mind sharing his knowledge. (or opinion if you wish). Faith is always the Power, not the Belief.

Joseph Smith was another human who profited from revelations he claim were given to him by angels. He also created « the Book of Mormon ». The Golden Tablets are of course missing now, and all witnesses to their existence are now dead.  I understand that the Latter Day Saints now have a powerful financial institution. I have known some Mormons personally. I have attended services there. There are good people in all human organizations.

Believers of any Religion will not need to study the history of what they have chosen as « truth ». Because of Faith, it is possible to produce what we call miracles, no matter what is behind them. Our « ordinary scientists simply call them « spontanious remission ».

I call it Matter responding to Mind. It has nothing to do with Religion.

I read a book about 30 years ago called « Journeys Out of the Body » (astral projection). When asked about possibly « seeing God » in his « journeys » the author said, I didn’t see Him. « Could be that I am not qualified. »

By the way, Quimby sent his « subject » out of his body and then claimed that he learned to do it himself. I believe that there was mention of « remote healing » by Jesus using the same process.

So, back to seeking origins. Why not? IMO, there is no reason not to do so. At least not after they are dead. Yes, the sick may pursue a Healer and prevent him or her from a normal life. On that I agree.

The « reluctant messiah » in the book « Illusions » could not keep his job as a mechanic because he became known. And of course, he was eventually killed by a « nutball » after an interview on a radio station.

There were many secrets in the beginning of the revelations concerning the Urantia Book. Perhaps they were necessary at the time. Now, why would you not reveal them today? Was it a Kellogg who was Dr. Sadly’s sleeping « prophet »?

I think people will still buy Cornflakes regardless.

Van Amadon
    Van Amadon
    Participant

The more of the Urantia Book I read, the more I enjoy it. I do believe it to be the most accurate and inclusive of all the important writings of this century. Still, I probably spend an equal amount of time researching it’s origin. Why not? It is relatively recent.

There were many secrets in the beginning of the revelations concerning the Urantia Book. Perhaps they were necessary at the time. Now, why would you not reveal them today? Was it a Kellogg who was Dr. Sadler’s sleeping “prophet”?

I assure you, no one will ever know the identity of the sleeping subject, who is referred to as the contact personality within the pages of the Urantia Book. This person’s beliefs and philosophy of life were strikingly different than what was written by the revelators. He was not a prophet and when he was informed about the messages the contact commission received during the night and how he played a role, Sadler said he seemed entirely uninterested in what was going on.

Sadler was a well known debunker of so called psychic phenomenon. I believe a part of the reason he was involved, was because of this fact. He was not convinced of the reality of the revelation during the process of its manifestation. The contact personality did not write the hand written papers, his handwriting did not match. No one ever saw anyone write them. They would appear in a certain designated place, a locked safe, for the contact commission to find and study. Sometimes, the papers would not be in the safe the next time it was opened and then reappear later, revised. One paper at a time, this went on for years.

After 1935, Sadler remained an unbeliever, unconvinced of the paper’s authenticity. He was a skeptic, until one day when he read the paper on the Apostles. Reportedly, it left him in tears when he realized then and there that no man could have written such a thing.

Many have had like experiences with the Urantia Book, sometimes it takes time to realize that what you have in your hands, the Urantia Book, is a « reality marker from a more real dimension ».

That is the only secret that needs to be revealed today.

No one has made a dime off the book. In fact many have spent much out of their own pockets to disseminate it. There is no Urantia Book leader, except the Spirit of Truth.

The fact that the contact commissioners where beholden to keep secret the identity of the contact personality, and most of what went on while the technique of the Urantia Papers’ materialization occurred, was necessary, and gives the Papers credibility so far beyond anything that has ever transpired on this world, except the other four epochal revelations, especially the incarnation of the Creator and Ruler of the Universe himself, as Jesus of Nazareth.

Mara
    Mara
    Participant

Still, I probably spend an equal amount of time researching it’s origin.

In all the years I’ve studied the book never have I been much interested in its origin, until recently.  The message, not the messenger, always fascinates me.  To add to your historical research you might check out what Urantia Foundation provides on its website.

Urantia Book history

paul_pdx
    paul_pdx
    Participant

They’ve got some good books and articles on the history of the Urantia book over at SquareCircles.com  (Matthew and Saskia)

https://squarecircles.com/

4 sujets de 1 à 4 (sur un total de 4)

Login to reply to this topic.

Not registered? Sign up here.