Looking at the Foreword

Home Forums Urantia Book General Discussions Looking at the Foreword

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Gene
    Participant

its reasonable then, that discovering exactly what deity is, is a process that happens as we become divine, or more unified as a result of interaction with the Holy Spirit and her ministry. Deity is to be discovered, not by reading about its properties and characteristics and manifestations. TUB can’t really describe deity, only show us the path to its discovery???

Yeah, basically, except Deity is not an “it”. Deity is always a person. Deity can be impersonal, as in the pre-personal Adjuster, but Deity is never nonpersonal (unless qualified, as the quote explained). Divinity and divine things can be nonpersonal though. So, we discover WHO Deity is first, then discover the what and how of the divinity of Deity. The easiest way to discover who Deity is, is to have a relationship with the Spirit of Truth, a spirit of Deity we can recognize as a person. He and the Holy Spirit come as a package deal. Divinity is the character of a person of Deity. Divinity is how you describe and know a person of Deity’s nature. The Deity we seek is our Adjuster; divinity is his nature. Divinity attainment is the process of becoming more like the Adjuster. In other words, the process of perfecting, becoming more divine. We cannot become Deity, but we can become divine, or acquire divinity of nature. (And all that is done by the evolution of dominance or transfer of identity thing we always talk about.)

116:3.5 The creature bestowals of the Paradise orders of sonship enable these divine Sons to enrich their personalities by the acquisition of the actual nature of universe creatures, while such bestowals unfailingly reveal to the creatures themselves the Paradise path of divinity attainment. The Adjuster bestowals of the Universal Father enable him to draw the personalities of the volitional will creatures to himself. And throughout all these relationships in the finite universes the Conjoint Actor is the ever-present source of the mind ministry by virtue of which these activities take place.

an additional thought: the evolution or growth of the Almighty – as related to non-personal deity??? There is a creative/unity aspect to this too but I don’t think that humans can be part of it. Just thinking

This quote says we are part of it:

(1268.6) 116:1.1 The experience of every evolving creature personality is a phase of the experience of the Almighty Supreme. The intelligent subjugation of every physical segment of the superuniverses is a part of the growing control of the Almighty Supreme. The creative synthesis of power and personality is a part of the creative urge of the Supreme Mind and is the very essence of the evolutionary growth of unity in the Supreme Being.

thank you for the quotes and perspective, it really helps.

One thing lingers: anyone would reasonably expect that a text like TUB would begin with God. But it does not, it begins with deity and makes a clear distinction. There is even a triple space after the deity part ends before part 2 “God” begins – I take it as a highlight but that’s probably a stretch – I guess it’s at the core of my dilemma though. Does it make any sense?? We probably are just meant to understand that God is deity and I’m reading more into this than should. After all, the Mightymessenger author is trying to convey simultaneous events that have no beginning as sequential for our benefit. Got to keep that in mind.

you mentioned the creative urge of the Supreme-it’s something that don’t come up that often as a topic.

Xobeht
    Xobeht
    Participant

Here is the way I read it.

Deity is a classification of higher being, the highest grouping. The foreward is using the term deity to describe the Universal Father, co-equals and immediate subordinate “offspring” if you will, that fall into the category labeled “Deity.” Deity not only designates beings that have identity and personality but, attributes above and beyond basic identity and personality, the sources thereof–in fact, to include the ability to transcend….prepersonal, personal, superpersonal etc.

Divinity, on the other hand, is that quality or qualities specific only to deity as a possession. A characteristic of deity or the characteristics of deity that are unique only to that level of being.

Gene, you are perhaps reading more into it than is actually there. I read the foreward as if it is specific and exact, nothing more, nothing less.

Regarding other designations. The levels start from Superior, then Supreme, then Ultimate, then Absolute. The Absolute level designates an order that cannot be superceded hence the term Absolute. Any level below Absolute would indicate room for expansion, evolution, transcendence, supercedeability, and the like.

The first level of deity expression is the Supreme Being–a time/space evolving and unfolding deity manifestation to the finite creatures of the evolving universes. The Evolving God of the Seven Super Universes.

The second level of deity expression is God the Ultimate–an eventuating God that is a deity manifestation to absonite beings, those who possess superpersonal attributes…far later in our evolution when we arrive in Havona.

The third level is God the Absolute existing now as the Deity Absolute and at this level there is finality of deity qualities, all possibilities are exhausted, divinity is complete at this level.

I hope this helps clarify things a little.

I certainly hope I’m not adding to the confusion.

Paul

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

One thing lingers: anyone would reasonably expect that a text like TUB would begin with God. But it does not, it begins with deity and makes a clear distinction.

God is complicated because God is more than Deity. The I AM is potential Total Deity, the Trinity is three actual Deities – persons.  I think they want to introduce God as an actual person first.  Although God is more than a person, the most important thing for us is to know him as a Father. And we get to know him as a Father through his Sons, who are also Deity. There’s a long, unbroken line of Deity from Paradise to us, and on into the future. I think this is the idea they want to established in our minds.  The explanation for the non-deity part of God comes later.

0:3.22 With the appearance of coexistent personal Deity, the Eternal Son and the Infinite Spirit, the Father escaped, as a personality, from otherwise inevitable diffusion throughout the potential of Total Deity. Thenceforth it is only in Trinity association with his two Deity equals that the Father fills all Deity potential, while increasingly experiential Deity is being actualized on the divinity levels of Supremacy, Ultimacy, and Absoluteness.

Cole
    Cole
    Participant

Gene  Wrote:  …another-is God the absolute distinguishable from the diety absolute??

The Absolutes have always been difficult for me. The Book does not have a Paper dealing with this issue alone…for some reason.

After some study, I gained a working understanding of the Deity Absolute and the Unqualified Absolute.  I still have trouble with the Universal Absolute.

But then I have read that the authors (or at least some)…..do too.

Gene
    Participant

Gene, you are perhaps reading more into it than is actually there. I read the foreward as if it is specific and exact, nothing more, nothing less.

I approach the revelation in a similar way but the authors tell us that our language is very limited and they must attach multiple meanings to certain words and they tend to leave it up to us to sort it out so interpretations will vary

i get all of the attributes and manifestations and so forth of deity but have not yet got a clear understanding of  exactly what deity is and I don’t think it will happen on this planet. I’m ok with that. I think I’m up to speed on being close enough to what the authors  intended.

Mark Kurtz
    Participant

Gene, this is a very good topic and you’ve received superb responses. Many people could benefit from expanded understanding of the Foreword and its introductory purposes . Would you consider editing the title to correct the spelling to Foreword? Perhaps more people would/could recognize this topic a bit quicker while reviewing topics and relate it to the book? It was a bit puzzling to me initially, but others saw your intent, a good one.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

but have not yet got a clear understanding of  exactly what deity is  . . .

Maybe I’m just being annoying, but I keep telling you it’s not WHAT, but WHO. Deity are the gods from Paradise, they’re people.  What you can be sure of though is that neither you nor I are Deity.

. . .  and I don’t think it will happen on this planet.

Deity is not an IT.  Deity did happen on this planet. His name is Jesus.

Gene
    Participant

but have not yet got a clear understanding of exactly what deity is . . .

Maybe I’m just being annoying, but I keep telling you it’s not WHAT, but WHO. Deity are the gods from Paradise, they’re people. What you can be sure of though is that neither you nor I are Deity.

. . . and I don’t think it will happen on this planet.

Deity is not an IT. Deity did happen on this planet. His name is Jesus.

ok

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

ok

You’re such a good sport Gene.  Sorry to be a nag about that.

Gene
    Participant

ok

You’re such a good sport Gene. Sorry to be a nag about that.

I learn a lot from you, I need nagging at times and greatful for your effort

Gene
    Participant

Gene, this is a very good topic and you’ve received superb responses. Many people could benefit from expanded understanding of the Foreword and its introductory purposes . Would you consider editing the title to correct the spelling to Foreword? Perhaps more people would/could recognize this topic a bit quicker while reviewing topics and relate it to the book? It was a bit puzzling to me initially, but others saw your intent, a good one.

thx for pointing out my spelling mistake. I can’t figure how to modify the title, need mod assistance.

Gene
    Participant

duplicate deleted, sorry

Gene
    Participant

Just thinking a bit more about forward stuff: the quote below is clipped from part XII of the Forward. “Trinities are truths of relationship and facts of co-ordinate Deity manifestation. Trinity functions encompass Deity realities, and Deity realities always seek realization and manifestation in personalization. “ Then I read this: clipped from part 1:5 “In the contemplation of Deity, the concept of personality must be divested of the idea of corporeality. A material body is not indispensable to personality in either man or God. The corporeality error is shown in both extremes of human philosophy. In materialism, since man loses his body at death, he ceases to exist as a personality; in pantheism, since God has no body, he is not, therefore, a person. The superhuman type of progressing personality functions in a union of mind and spirit.“

I know this is a stretch but I’m going to put it out regardless just to get my thoughts out.  Thinking about the bolded part and trinity relationships: can personality, mind and spirit qualify as trinity? What are the limits to trinity manifestations, strictly diety? Think farther about other related realities linked in groups of 3: cosmic realities, mind meanings, spirit values. Truth, beauty, goodness. Love, mercy, ministry. Justice, power, sovereignty and I believe there are more. Not suggesting these are trinities but the relationships certainly suggest the unity of trinity at minimum. as bolded above: truths of relationship and facts of co-ordinate deity manifestation seems to be a three thing.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

Have you had a chance to read about triunities and triodities?

Gene
    Participant

Have you had a chance to read about triunities and triodities?

yes

but I need to re-read – headed there soon

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)

Login to reply to this topic.

Not registered? Sign up here.