Living in a black hole takes its toll

Home Forums Urantia Book General Discussions Living in a black hole takes its toll

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    nelsong
    Participant

Stephen Hawking is in the news as he has told the world that God does not exist and he has scientific proof.

His theories are interesting and I have tried to follow them but Ive got to ask: What has he really contributed? Thinking back to Albert Einstein, the man who worked so hard to discover the mind of God the contrast becomes clear. Einstein contributed many things to the human race and Hawking is a bit lacking.

Never the less, Hawking has a large following and a position of dignity and respect.

For a scientist with supposedly such a great mind to make public statements like this are a little puzzling to me and he must realize that his followers will be greatly influenced by his statements. Its like he has been using his mental skills to work very hard to prove the un-provable – that God does not exist.

I have become very disappointed and disillusioned with this man.

There is in my mind something very interesting about Hawking being stuck in his mind because of his physical condition and he has devoted much of his thinking to black holes. They are still theoretical but very real to him. He tends to live in them and it is taking a toll – everything goes in and nothing comes out – the epitome of selfishness on a grand scale.

Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant

Stephen Hawking is in the news as he has told the world that God does not exist and he has scientific proof. His theories are interesting and I have tried to follow them but Ive got to ask: What has he really contributed? Thinking back to Albert Einstein, the man who worked so hard to discover the mind of God the contrast becomes clear. Einstein contributed many things to the human race and Hawking is a bit lacking. Never the less, Hawking has a large following and a position of dignity and respect. For a scientist with supposedly such a great mind to make public statements like this are a little puzzling to me and he must realize that his followers will be greatly influenced by his statements. Its like he has been using his mental skills to work very hard to prove the un-provable – that God does not exist. I have become very disappointed and disillusioned with this man. There is in my mind something very interesting about Hawking being stuck in his mind because of his physical condition and he has devoted much of his thinking to black holes. They are still theoretical but very real to him. He tends to live in them and it is taking a toll – everything goes in and nothing comes out – the epitome of selfishness on a grand scale.

Agreed, and well stated. I feel sorrow for him, lost in heartless gravity.

Richard E Warren

Keryn
    Participant

My spouse is a self-declared atheist and, up until I read the TUB, I considered myself agnostic.  I do not feel sorry for Steven Hawking; he doesn’t understand what he is missing, his perspective of what “God” is has been completely defined for him by cultural tradition, Biblical interpretations, and anthropomorphized concepts of Diety.  I know – I was there just a few short years ago.

I refused to ever call myself an “athiest”, though, as I believed that doing so would be just as indicative of a closed mind as those who believe God wears white robes and a long white beard and lives in the clouds (and yes, I know people who believe that).  Deep down, I always knew that there was a Power, a cosmic influence, that somehow to a greater or lesser degree was responsible for the universe and all the creatures in it.  But I knew the Biblical version of God was too small, MUCH too small, and too emblematic of our own all-too-human foibles such as wrath and the need to be appeased by sacrifices and ‘good’ behavior.  I knew that whatever created and continues to uphold this universe, and all the others, had to be so much more than that, something far beyond our ability to understand or even to conceive.  But all my religious experience involved teachers who seemed to know everything about God, and their God was a being that fit neatly into a tiny box that held no mystery, no power, no real majesty, and as a result …… I decided that I did not believe in God, or at least, I didn’t know if I believed (or even cared).

Perhaps due to his extensive scientific training and scientific mind, Steven Hawking is unable to make the leap of faith that allows him to accept that there is so much that he cannot know about Deity while still in the mortal, finite mind.  It makes sense to me that someone with the intelligence that he has, who is accustomed to being able to grasp very complex concepts easily, may not intuitively consider or accept that there remain many concepts in our universe that he *cannot* grasp.

And that it’s okay.  It’s okay to believe in God without fully understanding what God is; only that we are God’s children and he loves each of us as unique individuals in the great cosmos of the vast universes.  Even as I learned from TUB and knew right away that its revelations are true, I was reluctant to let go of my agnosticism.  I had a certain pride about it, an intellectual image to uphold, and a need to fit in with my unbelieving peers.

Silly, I know.  But there it is.

Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant

My sorrow comes from a brother missing the path. Hope he gets another shot at it, and doesn’t try to hang on to that ole rugged tradition.

Richard E Warren

nelsong
    Participant

Hey Keryn,

I think about agnosticism as questioning. Exactly what the revelators want us to do. If done with sincerity and honesty it will always lead to truth.

In the end, God is the ultimate quest, the most gratifying of all discoveries, the search for everything. I find it hard to understand how a powerful efficient mind can miss this.

Keryn
    Participant

On a lighter note, there’s this:

https://twitter.com/TheTweetOfGod/status/515543028065239041

Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant

On a lighter note, there’s this: https://twitter.com/TheTweetOfGod/status/515543028065239041

Har! :good:

It never occurred, pre-UB, but it is obvious now that the creator of personality must be a person. At least.

Richard E Warren

nelsong
    Participant

On a lighter note, there’s this: https://twitter.com/TheTweetOfGod/status/515543028065239041

Har! :good: It never occurred, pre-UB, but it is obvious now that the creator of personality must be a person. At least.

so obvious its a no brained – almost.

emanny3003
    Blocked

Stephen Hawking is in the news as he has told the world that God does not exist and he has scientific proof.

Perhaps Dr. Hawking is mourning the death of his field, theoretical physics. He recently published his view that black holes may not exist. The state of physics is truly pitiful.

TUB is revealing about this and I can show this with just a few quotes.

“Gravity is the sole control of matter-energy”

“Space is not Absolute”

“Space is not an unbounded cube”

“Gravity acts preferentially in the plane perpendicular to mass”

These physical realities are not consistent with our current theories. First, physics does not have a gravitational field that explains elliptical orbits. Furthermore, the entirety of our mathematics and it offshoots (The Calculus) is calculated in a background of Absolute space. Newton and Leibniz both fudged the integral central to physics, ∫1/x, and the derivative of the natural logarithm x. I can show proof of this fudge for those interested. Close observation shows that all of physical reality is logarithmic. The conclusion to this observation is that physical creation is not calculable. The whole of our equations do not apply. Energy-matter is measurable but not calculable. Data is computable and we can come close to predicting motions with more precise measurement devise and more powerful computers but God’s creation can never be grasped in absolute. This is the birthmark of the Creator.

I suppose that this fact can deeply frustrate scientists of Hawking’s ilk.

These and many other revelations from TUB can help us advance our understanding of our physical world. The hint about how gravity acts perpendicular to mass suggests the geometry of the Apollonian circles.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

Login to reply to this topic.

Not registered? Sign up here.