Life's Meaning and Adaptability

Home Forums Urantia Book General Discussions Life's Meaning and Adaptability

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant

Question Forum Friends,

This is the Midwayers’ rephrasing of Jesus’ reply to Ganid:

…The meaning of life is its adaptability….130:4.7 (1434.6)

Why meaning? It stops my mind and a feeling of missing the point ensues. Is the quote clear to you? Any feedback/insight is welcome.

The whole paragraph:

Life is an adaptation of the original cosmic causation to the demands and possibilities of universe situations, and it comes into being by the action of the Universal Mind and the activation of the spirit spark of the God who is spirit. The meaning of life is its adaptability; the value of life is its progressability—even to the heights of God-consciousness.

Quote source: https://www.urantia.org/urantia-book-standardized/paper-130-way-rome#U130_4_7

Richard E Warren

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

I think your question is related to my long essays concerning the Life Carriers last year.  All life has a natural endowment of adaptability. Why is that the meaning of life? I think it’s because life is minded and mind is the mechanism for determining meaning, and meaning is the mechanism by which the human mind directs its adaptation toward universe harmony, or attunement.  The two, life and mind, work together.  Life naturally adapts and mind gives it directional meaning.

65:6.2 There is original endowment of adaptation in living things and beings. In every living plant or animal cell, in every living organism — material or spiritual — there is an insatiable craving for the attainment of ever-increasing perfection of environmental adjustment, organismal adaptation, and augmented life realization. These interminable efforts of all living things evidence the existence within them of an innate striving for perfection.

Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant

I think your question is related to my long essays concerning the Life Carriers last year. All life has a natural endowment of adaptability. Why is that the meaning of life? I think it’s because life is minded and mind is the mechanism for determining meaning, and meaning is the mechanism by which the human mind directs its adaptation toward universe harmony, or attunement. The two, life and mind, work together. Life naturally adapts and mind gives it directional meaning.

Much appreciate the thoughtful reply… Kindly forgive any hesitation to wholly and immediately agree. It sounds as if you’re transferring the definition of life to mind, as in: ‘the meaning of mind is its adaptability’. However mind makes no more sense to this dense dullard than does the use of the word life. Mind may and does discern meaning, we can agree, but my hesitancy comes from not seeing how adaptability defines either life or mind, notwithstanding they are both adaptable, yet so much more!

While pondering the Midwayers’ intentions in rephrasing Jesus’ words, I can’t help putting the word value in the place of meaning, rendering: ‘the value of life is its adaptability’. But then value is used in the phrase that follows the meaning of life phrase: “the value of life is its progressability”.

The other word that comes to mind is advantage, as in: ‘the advantage of life is its adaptability’, followed by: “the value of life is its progressability”. But then, I’m guessing the Midwayers didn’t ask for my editorial advice because I was only three when the UB was completed. Of course I know better than to second guess the Midwayers’ word choices, yet I’m still not getting the significance of “the meaning of life is its adaptability”, unless perhaps, we stipulate life is infinitely more, encompassing such permanences as personality,  freewill, transcendence, and Paradise.  

Richard E Warren

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

While pondering the Midwayers’ intentions in rephrasing Jesus’ words, I can’t help putting the word value in the place of meaning, rendering: ‘the value of life is its adaptability’. But then value is used in the phrase that follows the meaning of life phrase: “the value of life is its progressability”.

Meaning and value are two entirely different levels of reality.  Meaning is a mind level and value is a spirit level of reality.  Life and mind go together.  Life is a pattern, like personality.  The pattern is flexible in that it can modify its response without changing itself.  Mind is what changes life’s direction and urges it toward growth and evolution, or progress, of its associated energy system. (It’s similar to the relation between personality and character.  Personality doesn’t change but character does.)  Growth and progress are interrelated, just like meanings and values are interrelated.  Perhaps it would make more sense if the quote read, “the meaning of life is its cosmic adaptability in moving between potentials and actuals” ?

100:3.6 The association of actuals and potentials equals growth, the experiential realization of values. But growth is not mere progress. Progress is always meaningful, but it is relatively valueless without growth. The supreme value of human life consists in growth of values, progress in meanings, and realization of the cosmic interrelatedness of both of these experiences. . . .

The whole quote again:

130:4.7 Life is an adaptation of the original cosmic causation to the demands and possibilities of universe situations, and it comes into being by the action of the Universal Mind and the activation of the spirit spark of the God who is spirit. The meaning of life is its adaptability; the value of life is its progressability — even to the heights of God-consciousness.

Life is an adaptation to causation which is provided by Universal Mind and activated by the same source.  Misadaptation causes disharmony, chaos because it is meaningless – without meaning.

Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant

Meaning and value are two entirely different levels of reality. Meaning is a mind level and value is a spirit level of reality. Life and mind go together. Life is a pattern, like personality. The pattern is flexible in that it can modify its response without changing itself. Mind is what changes life’s direction and urges it toward growth and evolution, or progress, of its associated energy system. (It’s similar to the relation between personality and character. Personality doesn’t change but character does.) Growth and progress are interrelated, just like meanings and values are interrelated. Perhaps it would make more sense if the quote read, “the meaning of life is its cosmic adaptability in moving between potentials and actuals” ?

It would. The apparent incompleteness of the phrase seems to be what’s bothering me.

Life is an adaptation to causation which is provided by Universal Mind and activated by the same source. Misadaptation causes disharmony, chaos because it is meaningless – without meaning.

Unreal is another word the authors use. So does it follow that, ‘the meaning of reality is its adaptability?’

Richard E Warren

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

So does it follow that, ‘the meaning of reality is its adaptability?’

Maybe, perhaps if you define adaptability in this case as the elliptic symmetry of reality and curvature of all relation concepts.  Can’t forget that there are three levels of finite reality and meaning is only one.

Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant

So does it follow that, ‘the meaning of reality is its adaptability?’

Maybe, perhaps if you define adaptability in this case as the elliptic symmetry of reality and curvature of all relation concepts.

That has cosmic and philosophic appeal but seems devoid of the personalness with which freewill life is always associated. Not trying to be argumentative, just relieved of confusion. You’re advice not to overthink the authors’ statements might well apply here. The subject will, I hope, be open for discussion on Mansonia where greater minds of longer life abide.

Can’t forget that there are three levels of finite reality and meaning is only one.

Thing and value being the other two?

Richard E Warren

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

Thing and value being the other two?

Right.

Your question: So does it follow that, ‘the meaning of reality is its adaptability?’

I think that falls into the same category as God is Love but love is not God.  The meaning of reality is different for each individual personality on each different level of reality manifestation.  Does that make reality adaptable?  I think it makes meanings adaptable, whereas reality simply is what it is.  Otherwise, the reality reflexes would also be adaptable and that would set up some problematic inconsistencies.  Either something is real or it isn’t.  Right?

Nigel Nunn
    Participant

Bonita suggested:

“Perhaps it would make more sense if the quote read, “the meaning of life is its cosmic adaptability in moving between potentials and actuals” ?

Rick replied:

“It would. The apparent incompleteness of the phrase seems to be what’s bothering me.”

Me too. If taken cold, and out of context. But this may be one of those moments where attempting to use native language would have been too clumsy? So they go zen, wrap intensity in simplicity, and trust we’ll make the leap back to 115:2.2,

“Value is a unique element in universe reality. We do not comprehend how the value of anything infinite and divine could possibly be increased. But we discover that meanings can be modified if not augmented even in the relations of infinite Deity. To the experiential universes even divine values are increased as actualities by enlarged comprehension of reality meanings.” (1261.2, 115:2.2)

thanks Rick and Bonita for this refreshing provocation!
    Nigel

Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant

Bonita suggested:

“Perhaps it would make more sense if the quote read, “the meaning of life is its cosmic adaptability in moving between potentials and actuals” ?

Rick replied:

“It would. The apparent incompleteness of the phrase seems to be what’s bothering me.”

Me too. If taken cold, and out of context. But this may be one of those moments where attempting to use native language would have been too clumsy? So they go zen, wrap intensity in simplicity, and trust we’ll make the leap back to 115:2.2,

“Value is a unique element in universe reality. We do not comprehend how the value of anything infinite and divine could possibly be increased. But we discover that meanings can be modified if not augmented even in the relations of infinite Deity. To the experiential universes even divine values are increased as actualities by enlarged comprehension of reality meanings.” (1261.2, 115:2.2)

thanks Rick and Bonita for this refreshing provocation! Nigel

Likewise, Nigel. Appreciate both your inputs. The topic paragraph was written by the Midwayers. And we are told that “there are many great minds and mighty spirits among the Urantia midway corps.” Hope someday to meet the writer for more discussion.

Life is an adaptation of the original cosmic causation to the demands and possibilities of universe situations, and it comes into being by the action of the Universal Mind and the activation of the spirit spark of the God who is spirit. The meaning of life is its adaptability; the value of life is its progressability—even to the heights of God-consciousness.

Quote source: https://www.urantia.org/urantia-book-standardized/paper-130-way-rome#U130_4_7

Richard E Warren

Mark Kurtz
    Participant

Rick, et al,

Have you considered the Midwayers and likely most other authors’ writings were vetted by the Melchizedek Revelatory Director? Could there truth in saying a supervisor’s advice was needed, say for wisdom?

Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant

Rick, et al, Have you considered the Midwayers and likely most other authors’ writings were vetted by the Melchizedek Revelatory Director? Could there truth in saying a supervisor’s advice was needed, say for wisdom?

Good point, Mark. Can’t think of any reason why the Melchizedek’s would not be the final gate-keepers of revelation. Interesting side note to this topic, they are adaptability personified:

…There is no phase of planetary spiritual need to which they do not minister….
    35:2.7 (386.5)

Another word came up (thinking about this topic of the meaning of life) that word is versatility, which is virtually identical in meaning with adaptability. I think we can safely extrapolate and say, ‘the meaning of life is its versatility’? But is that any clearer? The meaning of life would appear to these unelightened eyes to be God’s attempt to share divinity and creativity. I just don’t get that unqualified adaptability is the meaning of life. Will keep at it.

Richard E Warren

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

If it’s about versatility you’ll have to pass the adaptability trophy to the masters of versatility who are Ancients of Days.

18:3.8 Aside from the Deities and their Paradise associates, the Ancients of Days are the most perfect, most versatile, and the most divinely endowed rulers in all time-space existence.

But after doing a search for versatility I have to say I think the Infinite Spirit is the most versatile and the Infinite Spirit is the source of of the universe streams of both life and mind.  (Not going to reproduce all those quotes if you don’t mind.)

Hey, wait a minute.  I just realized Rick that you used the phrase “unqualified adaptability”.   I don’t think that’s right, or at least I don’t understand it. Did you see somewhere the use of the word “unqualified” to describe either life or adaptability?  What do you mean by that? Isn’t life itself a qualifier?

Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant

…I just realized Rick that you used the phrase “unqualified adaptability”. I don’t think that’s right, or at least I don’t understand it. Did you see somewhere the use of the word “unqualified” to describe either life or adaptability? What do you mean by that? Isn’t life itself a qualifier?

Yeah, I guess life is at least a partial, major qualifier. But I had in mind the qualification we agreed upon early in the thread, where you wrote:

“…Perhaps it would make more sense if the quote read, “the meaning of life is its cosmic adaptability in moving between potentials and actuals” ?”

Richard E Warren

Nigel Nunn
    Participant

Hi all — a few more thoughts:

In the last few papers authored by the revelatory commission (papers 115-118), the authors have a lot to say about two complementary levels of experiential achievement, and actualization:

1. the level of mind wrestling with matter (NN: meanings?)

2. the level of spirit orchestrating mind (NN: values?)

The first level (mind-over-matter?) seems to get associated with meanings; the second level (spirit-over-mind?) gets associated with values.

In Rick’s “Midwayer” quote, a variable is what the author intends to imply by “life”. Are they referring to the sort of life projected into a time-dependent material arena, where the outworking of purposes and plans requires extraordinary adaptability? If so, then for all this (meaningful) evolutionary effort to have any value, there’d need to be a path along which to progress (i.e. progressability)…

“Life is an adaptation of the original cosmic causation to the demands and possibilities of universe situations, and it comes into being by the action of the Universal Mind and the activation of the spirit spark of the God who is spirit. The meaning of life is its adaptability; the value of life is its progressability — even to the heights of God-consciousness.” (1434.6, 130:4.7)

Here’s a paragraph that seems to put “adaptability” and “progressability” side by side:

“The bestowal of life renders material-energy systems capable of self-perpetuation, self-propagation, and self-adaptation [NN: adaptability?]. The bestowal of personality imparts to living organisms the further prerogatives of self-determination, self-evolution, and self-identification with a fusion spirit of Deity [NN: progressability?].” (1301.3, 118:7.6)

Are “adaptation” and “progress” the heart and soul of experiential achievement — actualization of the Supreme?

Nigel

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

Login to reply to this topic.

Not registered? Sign up here.