introducing

Home Forums New Urantia Book Readers introducing

13 sujets de 1 à 13 (sur un total de 13)
  • Auteur
    Ford2009
    Participant

How do you introduce the christian churches or people to the urantia without them thinking it is a cult or something

Ford2009
    Participant

I would like to bring the urantia to my area rochester ny

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

Great question Ford!! And thanks for posting your question.

Not all cults are bad.  I think it’s possible to work with some of the more liberal Christian-based church groups if you can educate them.  Fear keeps people away.  Anything new is fearful.  Jesus had the same problem with his generation, which is why his motto was « fear not ».   I admit it’s a tough sell since most people’s first reaction is that the book has something to do with aliens.  It’s unfortunate.  I’d say, teach people the difference between aliens and celestials.  Celestials, like angels, are friendly; no one knows if aliens are friendly, hence the fear.  Gotta conquer the fear.

Ford2009
    Participant

I think one of the problems is people are extremely closed minded. I found the urantia with my own views on something I thought i would introduce to the urantia foundation. At the same time I thought i would read the urantia and realized my info was off and it appeared the urantia makes more sence. I have not let it go since then.

Ford2009
    Participant

I’m Joe

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant
    Ford2009 wrote:I have not let it go since then.
    Hi Joe from Rochester.  Did you get the 6 feet of snow there?  It’s amazing what’s going on up north!  I keep hoping that stuff doesn’t creep south.  I’m definitely not ready for snow.
    As to not letting go of the UB, it has that effect on people who are meant to read it.  Truth-seekers gravitate toward truth and tend to hold on to it for dear life.
    Back to your question about the churches.  I was thinking about how I do it.  Way back in the beginning I used to try to introduce the book itself and it always failed.  Now I don’t ever discuss the Urantia Book itself.  What I’ve done is to start introducing ideas from the UB in the context of discussions about religion.  I admit that in those circumstances, I claim the ideas as my own rather than say I read it in some book.  I don’t know if that’s deceitful or not, but it is true that my ideas are the result of my brain processing the material in the UB, so in a sense it is mine.  People don’t seem to get as riled up if you’re not claiming some divine authority, as it would appear if throwing the book at them. I just tell them that after some thought and prayer, this is my philosophy on such and such.  Some people listen and go home and think about it.  I’ve had people actually cry when I tell them my thoughts on some religious topics because it’s the first time that they’ve heard the truths we take for granted in the UB. If I told them that those ideas came from a celestial being, they might become suspicious, close their ears and not listen.  Anyway, that’s my story. What’s yours?
    Ford2009
    Participant

Don’t have much of a story to tell, other than wishing I could find some very smart readers who like me would take time to take a quick look at this and then realize they might want to take time to take a more serious look at it. I showed the urantia to a church in my area and without even taken a moment to discuss it they banned me.

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

Welcome Joe, glad you are here.  Having been raised in protestant Christianity and many friends and family which still attend, my recommendation is to begin simply; find and know the Jesusonian Gospel OF Jesus within the book ABOUT Jesus.  The core of Christianity remains the message and teachings of Jesus, although many sects and creeds are primarily the gospel of Paul and not the gospel of Jesus.  Knowledge of the holy books of others and finding those elements which are common to both parties is the method used by the Master.  It is best to not try to change people’s minds but far more important to understand them first and find common ground and to identify their spirituality and their love response.  Or so I have found it to be true.  Those who believe in God and the family of His children and give love to others truly need nothing else.  The UB says such believers are progressing in the spirit and are « safe » in the cosmos.  We can shine the light of love, truth, beauty, and goodness but we cannot « save » others from their own choices and priorities.  Just shine your light Brother.

The Association exists to help readers disseminate books in communities around the world.  There are many ways to get the UB into local circulation that have been tried and true for decades.  Many are happy to help in such a noble endeavor.  Again, welcome.

:good:

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant
    Ford2009 wrote: . . . . they banned me.

Forgive me for laughing!  I had a similar experience, not from a church but from an individual representing a church.  When I showed him the book, he backed up, made the sign of the cross and started exorcism proceedings.   I mean, I can be a little witchy at times, and I have some ancestors who were involved in that Salem witch thing, but possession by evil spirits . . . . you just gotta laugh it off.  People get scared very easily and then they just shut down.  The secret is to not let them even know that you’re introducing an idea from the UB by introducing your own ideas on the subject.  Of course your own ideas have been shaped by the UB, and are in a sense a way of getting the message out.  Some people will listen and others will run away.  The listeners are the truth seekers, or potential ones.  Don’t waste your time with the ones that run away.  Leave them to the angels.  They’re in good hands.

Vern
    Vern
    Participant

Hello Ford and everyone that’s interested in this subject.

The Urantia Book gives very clear instruction on this question.

The essential teaching of Jesus, that God is our Father and we are his children.

This is repeated throughout The Urantia Book in many ways of expressing that fundamental parent child relationship and is specifically stated as « what the world most needs to know. »

Ray
    Ray
    Participant

I’ve had great success in the past and positive reactions when I realize an individual is on a spiritual journey. I ask: « Do you like reading? Listen, I’ve got a book for you! Its about spiritual growth no matter what your religion – it doesn’t matter. It’s passed around by word of mouth only to those who might have an interest. It is a revelation – No new cults or new religions are wanted – intended for indidual personal spiritual growth for anyone interested. It’s over 2,000 pages! I know it has been read by the vatican – no comment from them, by members of congress and by presidents as well as many professionals. Many privately comment on its value. Are you interested in reading that many pages? »

If answer is ‘yes’ then I give them a copy saying: « If not up your alley give it back or give to someone you think would be interested. »

I’ve given it to priests, protestant ministers who told me they used concepts of the book in their sermons; a psychiatrist who used concepts in his practice, and lay people just fasinated with the truthes they gained. Only my brother told me it sounded trekiian but also liked it and still reads it.

Just: « Man, do I have a book for you!! »

Walk with God. May His Peace be unto you.

Vern
    Vern
    Participant

Hi Ray,

That sounds like a good approach you’ve used. Asking a question is generally a positive move.

If during a conversation with the person you have met, he/she indicates curiosity about matters spiritual, you can always try, « from what you have been saying, I think you may be ready for this »—gift a Urantia Book into their hands.

Vern
    Vern
    Participant

Inborn curiosity is active in all of us, and is a great assistant to call upon when talking about truth contained in The Urantia Book.

Asking sincere questions is always to be encouraged, as it stimulates curiosity and shows genuine interest in that individual person.

13 sujets de 1 à 13 (sur un total de 13)

Login to reply to this topic.

Not registered? Sign up here.