intro advice

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    nelsong
    Participant

Have a 41 year old woman in jail recovering from lots of not so good stuff.

I would really like to introduce her to the Urantia book but am looking for any ideas as I am not very good at this.

She started reading the Bible as most inmates do in their situation.

I believe she is open to the revelation.

Any intro books or writings that you would recommend I could send to her that are designed to capture the interest would be appreciated.

Regards

Mara
    Mara
    Participant
    nelsong wrote:Any intro books or writings that you would recommend I could send. . . .
    There is a project called PIRT (Prisoner Inquiry Response Team) a service of UAI.  Take a look at this page for more info:
    nelsong
    Participant

Thanks Mara,

Seems that PIRT will get someone the book as opposed to a secondary intro. This may indeed be the better way to introduce a new reader in her situation.

Thanks again.

Mara
    Mara
    Participant

You’re welcome nelsong.  A person has a lot of time to read a big book in such a situation.

emanny3003
    Blocked

There is a project called PIRT (Prisoner Inquiry Response Team) a service of UAI.  Take a look at this page for more info:

Would not this be a proper brotherly ministry for the prisoners of the Lucifer rebellion?

Are we being overly forgiving on Earth or are the celestials being less than charitable?

emanny3003
    Blocked

I would really like to introduce her to the Urantia book but am looking for any ideas as I am not very good at this.

Hi nelsong, seems that you really want to help but you must really not usurp the work of the Spirit of Truth and the persons TA. We can never know how receptive anyone may be to this and other ministries at a person’s disposal.

Often times it is just being with someone that is a of great value. Showing that you care. TUB must come to the individual without effort. I just happens and that is the the way it should be. Not intro at all from the outside.

nelsong
    Participant

So you think that the prisoner who picks up a bible should not have an alternative? I mean the bible just happened because it’s in the prison library and most prisoners think bible is how to get something spiritual happening in their lives.

I like what pirt is doing and I took advantage of their service.

If she reads it – wonderful and nothing but good will come from it

If not then at least there was exposure and maybe reading will happen in future

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

Hi nelsong, seems that you really want to help but you must really not usurp the work of the Spirit of Truth and the persons TA. We can never know how receptive anyone may be to this and other ministries at a person’s disposal. Often times it is just being with someone that is a of great value. Showing that you care. TUB must come to the individual without effort. I just happens and that is the the way it should be. Not intro at all from the outside.

I don’t understand your meaning about usurping…..nor about dissemination of the UB to the world.  We all have a UB by the prior efforts of many over the decades to spread this good news in many different ways to every continent.  It is the very purpose of the Association and PIRT.  Are we to keep such a gift hidden?  Is it not by mortal efforts in sincere service that empowers the celestials to add to progress?  Just curious how sincere efforts usurp the angels, Most Highs, or the Thought Adjuster.

Best wishes to your acquaintance nelson.  She will find that which she seeks.  Peace.

Mark Kurtz
    Participant

Somehow the fact of Jesus’ superb ability to key in on peoples’ needs keeps reminding me to emulate him as best we can.  What seems to me is best is patiently determining what interests a person.  If you have done so and discovered she wants more answers than what is found in the Bible, then you’d likely be rewarded in your efforts to help her.  It seems to me, without knowing more details, you’d be smart to let her know the UB exists as a new gathering of revealing teachings that could help her.  Jesus was good at stimulating the Fourth Adjutant Mind Spirit, the Spirit of Knowledge—Curiosity.  This seems like the best technique.  This has been difficult for me, but deep down, I know its best.  If you can lead her to desire spiritual growth, you might get her approval to look into the UB.

2 cents

nelsong
    Participant

Truth ie she’s my daughter

i made a decision long ago to never push religion on her

that I would look for that desire from within her to seek religion and it happened in a most undesirable situation.

She told me she was reading the bible so i figured if she can read that she can read TUB – this was the reaching out I was looking for

i originally thought there may be a secondary Work to serve as an intro but decided on the full text – she’ll either read ou not read.

thanks for all the input It really helped me to decide

nelsong
    Participant

Might as well tell the rest since most came out.

my son is a bit older

, made same decision with him about religion.

turns out he’s very successful in work, family, church and community.

Interesting thing is that my attempt to intro him to TUB was a complete failure. He resented it. Thinks I’m a nutcase. Maybe he’s right but that’s how our lives go, isn’t it.

Thus my question about intro

Mark Kurtz
    Participant

Nelsong,

Your experiences seem very familiar!  I am dismayed by my own failures too!

I found this reading this morning:

“Jesus taught these men all they could assimilate. He did not make the mistake of overteaching them. He did not precipitate confusion by the presentation of truth too far beyond their capacity to comprehend.”   137:7.14    Us humans have so much trouble, but Jesus attained a very high level of balance.  If we could only do so well!

My sympathies to you for your kind attempts in your family.  Someday their TAs will prevail and there will be progress!

nelsong
    Participant

Yeah- balance. Just a bit short on that.

thanks Mark

emanny3003
    Blocked

So you think that the prisoner who picks up a bible should not have an alternative?

No, the more choices the better but it can get confusing to some. Bottom line, show but don’t push.

nelsong
    Participant

Agreed

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

Login to reply to this topic.

Not registered? Sign up here.