Interesting experience that may lend itself to the work of the Thought Adjuster.

Home Forums Urantia Book General Discussions Interesting experience that may lend itself to the work of the Thought Adjuster.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Brooklyn_born
    Brooklyn_born
    Participant

I am not assigning the following to the work of the Thought Adjuster but, I think, perhaps it gives a glimpse into the inner-workings of TA.

The power of autosuggestion and the human mind…

Last night I fell asleep with the radio playing, still; the discussion on the radio program at the time was the adaptation of polar bears –their white fur and black skin– to the snowy environment. When my sleep initiated, a dream voice explains how Paul bearers are black underneath their sleeves. Then I woke up.

It is quite remarkable how the mind, in its deep recesses, will associate words passing to the eardrum, based on phonetics: in the dream, my mind adjusted the pronunciation polar bears for Pallbearers.

What did I learn from this dream? For starters, be alert and on guard against what flows into your mind while you are asleep, literally and figuratively, as those ideas cannot be filtered, readily, with an arrested conscious.  Interestingly, there is a degree of truth, within the context of symbology, that blackness represents death; hence, the black skin under the sleeve.

Is this a foreshadowing, for lack of a better word, of TA mechanics?

I did not publish this experience to arouse a contentious debate. I am not claiming or declaring anything. I just hope it provokes creative thought in the reader. It is good to see you guys. Take care.

BB

Keryn
    Participant

Interesting observations.  I just thought I’d point out that polar bear fur is not white; it’s clear/ has no color.  Also, when you say “Paul bearers” I think you mean pallbearers …..?

I do not believe there is any way to ‘be alert and on guard against what flows into your mind while you are asleep’.  But I do agree with you that one should use caution when attempting to draw messages from the spiritual realm from one’s dreams.  Dreams are mostly nonsense but they can certainly create connections to spiritual concepts if one sincerely considers them in a meditative frame of mind.  Any thoughts and ideas can do that, not just dreams.

Mark606
    Participant

The power of autosuggestion and the human mind…

This may be a little off-topic but, in terms of spiritual growth, we know the Adjuster never does anything in our minds that violates our free will. For example, we are even told that we must consciously allow worship to happen. Perhaps because our minds are so pre-occupied with trivia during the waking hours, the Adjusters like to work on us during sleep, especially in the realms of the superconsciousness – but even then we have to allow things to happen;

110:5.3 During the slumber season the Adjuster attempts to achieve only that which the will of the indwelt personality has previously fully approved by the decisions and choosings which were made during times of fully wakeful consciousness, and which have thereby become lodged in the realms of the supermind, the liaison domain of human and divine interrelationship.

This sentence suggests that, before falling sleep, we should make the conscious decision to allow our Adjuster to do as he sees fit in order to further our spiritual growth.

Brooklyn_born
    Brooklyn_born
    Participant
    Ah! I even made the mistake in wake state lmfao! Thanks for the correct spelling.

Interesting observations. I just thought I’d point out that polar bear fur is not white; it’s clear/ has no color. Also, when you say “Paul bearers” I think you mean pallbearers …..? I do not believe there is any way to ‘be alert and on guard against what flows into your mind while you are asleep’. But I do agree with you that one should use caution when attempting to draw messages from the spiritual realm from one’s dreams. Dreams are mostly nonsense but they can certainly create connections to spiritual concepts if one sincerely considers them in a meditative frame of mind. Any thoughts and ideas can do that, not just dreams.

BB

Brooklyn_born
    Brooklyn_born
    Participant
    I was thinking to leave a radio on while you fall asleep could have an influence on the mind?

Interesting observations. I just thought I’d point out that polar bear fur is not white; it’s clear/ has no color. Also, when you say “Paul bearers” I think you mean pallbearers …..? I do not believe there is any way to ‘be alert and on guard against what flows into your mind while you are asleep’. But I do agree with you that one should use caution when attempting to draw messages from the spiritual realm from one’s dreams. Dreams are mostly nonsense but they can certainly create connections to spiritual concepts if one sincerely considers them in a meditative frame of mind. Any thoughts and ideas can do that, not just dreams.

BB

Gene
    Participant

I have a hi tech hearing aide that I use at bedtime.
    It generates background noise that takes my mind off of tinnitus.
    It don’t stop nightmares but without it sleep can be difficult.
    It is interesting how I can not hear tinnitus and hear background noise when I fully realize that both are happening.
    I can’t explain it but it works.
    And why is background noise more attractive to whatever is happening in the brain than tinnitus?
    I can sometimes go to sleep trying to figure it out.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

Stuff you hear on TV or radio which enters the mind just prior to sleep or during sleep is stuff that enters the subconscious mind.  The Adjuster only deals with stuff in the soul which is not connected to the subconscious.

The subconscious is not conscious but ideas can organize and emerge during certain types of brain activity as seen on EEG. That being said, the subconscious can affect the conscious mind, primarily if the ideas organize to such size and importance that the emerge or rise up into full consciousness. Recall that Judas had long entertained resentment and revenge subconsciously, meaning he was not aware of it.  Yet on some level he fostered must have it, giving it importance, or identifying with it. Eventually it grew and emerged into full consciousness and he allowed it to stay there, out in the open, and then act upon it.

(1879.5) 172:1.7 It was because of this rebuke, which he took as a personal reproof, that Judas Iscariot finally made up his mind to seek revenge for his hurt feelings.  Many times had he entertained such ideas subconsciously, but now he dared to think such wicked thoughts in his open and conscious mind.

(1926.4) 177:4.11 Judas did not realize it at this time, but he had been a subconscious critic of Jesus ever since John the Baptist was beheaded by Herod. Deep down in his heart Judas always resented the fact that Jesus did not save John. You should not forget that Judas had been a disciple of John before he became a follower of Jesus. And all these accumulations of human resentment and bitter disappointment which Judas had laid by in his soul in habiliments of hate were now well organized in his subconscious mind and ready to spring up to engulf him when he once dared to separate himself from the supporting influence of his brethren while at the same time exposing himself to the clever insinuations and subtle ridicule of the enemies of Jesus.

The ideas from the subconscious that emerge during sleep are not fully conscious ideas, which is why they get so distorted.  The ideas in the soul which arise from the superconscious are morontia ideas and hence are also not fully conscious. That also results in distortion when contemplated by the conscious mind.  That’s why soul consciousness is something which is felt, and what is felt is presence, a relationship.

Brooklyn_born
    Brooklyn_born
    Participant
    Can the subconscious be a source of inspired thought? Does it contribute to the development of the personality?

Stuff you hear on TV or radio which enters the mind just prior to sleep or during sleep is stuff that enters the subconscious mind. The Adjuster only deals with stuff in the soul which is not connected to the subconscious. The subconscious is not conscious but ideas can organize and emerge during certain types of brain activity as seen on EEG. That being said, the subconscious can affect the conscious mind, primarily if the ideas organize to such size and importance that the emerge or rise up into full consciousness. Recall that Judas had long entertained resentment and revenge subconsciously, meaning he was not aware of it. Yet on some level he fostered must have it, giving it importance, or identifying with it. Eventually it grew and emerged into full consciousness and he allowed it to stay there, out in the open, and then act upon it.

(1879.5) 172:1.7 It was because of this rebuke, which he took as a personal reproof, that Judas Iscariot finally made up his mind to seek revenge for his hurt feelings. Many times had he entertained such ideas subconsciously, but now he dared to think such wicked thoughts in his open and conscious mind. (1926.4) 177:4.11 Judas did not realize it at this time, but he had been a subconscious critic of Jesus ever since John the Baptist was beheaded by Herod. Deep down in his heart Judas always resented the fact that Jesus did not save John. You should not forget that Judas had been a disciple of John before he became a follower of Jesus. And all these accumulations of human resentment and bitter disappointment which Judas had laid by in his soul in habiliments of hate were now well organized in his subconscious mind and ready to spring up to engulf him when he once dared to separate himself from the supporting influence of his brethren while at the same time exposing himself to the clever insinuations and subtle ridicule of the enemies of Jesus.

The ideas from the subconscious that emerge during sleep are not fully conscious ideas, which is why they get so distorted. The ideas in the soul which arise from the superconscious are morontia ideas and hence are also not fully conscious. That also results in distortion when contemplated by the conscious mind. That’s why soul consciousness is something which is felt, and what is felt is presence, a relationship.

BB

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

Login to reply to this topic.

Not registered? Sign up here.