In the Beginning Was the Word

Home Forums Urantia Book General Discussions In the Beginning Was the Word

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 69 total)
  • Author
    Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant
    Bradly wrote: . . . .first is material attachment or being engulfed by that which our mortal senses “witness”; and second, is self attachment and self importance  . . .
    Aren’t these the same things though?  Being engulfed  by mortal senses is all about one’s own feelings.  It’s as though nothing else exists but that little circumscribed universe.
    But, I’m wondering about those who do not accept the Word as truth, but instead twist and contort it in order to fit it into a material context rather than a spiritual one.  Or worse, those who devise their own spiritual delusions then deliberately deform reality in an attempt to force it to align with their own self-centered materialistic and erroneous thinking, which has nothing to do with reality.  I guess that’s why they say the truth is so satisfying . . . because it can be acted out.  It is reality and conforms rather neatly, without twisting and warping.  The Word and the Truth are one and the same.
    Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant
    Bradly wrote:  Perhaps it is worthy of some respect…..and considerable study.  And, perhaps, its students are too.

Perhaps . . .  I think people are worth respect, but not necessarily what they say or do.  Some people’s words are so vile they are only deserving of contempt.  I don’t think we are supposed to respect everything that comes out of the mouth or mind of a personality.  We’re only to respect the gifts from God, personality itself and the indwelling Spirit . . . if there is one.  Sometimes it’s hard to tell because the inner light is covered by so much mud and muck, chaos and confusion created by disloyalty to the Word of truth. Muddied minds make muddied thoughts and muddied thoughts aren’t worth much respect.  Who listens to Lucifer’s words anymore . . . now there’s a mind filled with a big pile of mud and muck that only a loving father who intimately knows his personality could see through.

Mara
    Mara
    Participant

Are you an aspiring school master teaching students how to idolize TUB? Be careful, Bradly. In truth, I am a “disseminator” and my “teaching” is only in conjunction with my role as student….of the Urantia Book, life, people, and truth, beauty, and goodness. I am a volunteer with the host of this website and discussion site to assist a large and growing number of like minded students who give time, talent, and money to support the spread of this book to any and all who wish to have one. More importantly, perhaps, they also disseminate its teachings by connecting students and fellow religionists to each other in study groups, conferences, symposiums, and on this website for that group to both learn from and teach each other. There are many such organizations and individuals so engaged in efforts of dissemination of the Revelation to the planet. I only have a Urantia Book due to the tireless efforts of those who came before me who thought enough of these words to help spread its gospel…or good news, which we believe is an extension, clarification, and modernization, by epochal revelation, of that gospel likewise “disseminated” by the previous 4 epochal revelations. But I remain but a tadpole among tadpoles and only serve the eternal aspirations we share together. Devoted religionists working in harmony, learning the better how to love one another and do that which we are taught by this gift of knowledge and truth.

Lovely and loving, as always Bradly.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant
    Mara wrote:  Lovely and loving, as always Bradly.

Ditto that.  Loving words are evidence of loving thoughts.  Loving thoughts are evidence of indwelling Love.  It’s good to see that here on this forum where we seem to have to dig through so much fertilizer.  You’re a light Bradly.  Keep it burning so we can see through the muck, mud and mire stirred by the minions of mayhem.

Mara
    Mara
    Participant
    Bonita wrote:But, I’m wondering about those who do not accept the Word as truth, but instead twist and contort it in order to fit it into a material context rather than a spiritual one.
    Well, most people take whatever they want and after that go out and do whatever they want with it.  But the Original remains for those who know His voice and follow Him.  Remember what Jesus said about those who are not against him?
    159:2:1   Jesus went over to Gamala to visit John and those who worked with him at that place. That evening, after the session of questions and answers, John said to Jesus: “Master, yesterday I went over to Ashtaroth to see a man who was teaching in your name and even claiming to be able to cast out devils. Now this fellow had never been with us, neither does he follow after us; therefore I forbade him to do such things.” Then said Jesus: “Forbid him not. Do you not perceive that this gospel of the kingdom shall presently be proclaimed in all the world? How can you expect that all who will believe the gospel shall be subject to your direction? Rejoice that already our teaching has begun to manifest itself beyond the bounds of our personal influence. Do you not see, John, that those who profess to do great works in my name must eventually support our cause? They certainly will not be quick to speak evil of me. My son, in matters of this sort it would be better for you to reckon that he who is not against us is for us. In the generations to come many who are not wholly worthy will do many strange things in my name, but I will not forbid them. I tell you that, even when a cup of cold water is given to a thirsty soul, the Father’s messengers shall ever make record of such a service of love.”
    Mara
    Mara
    Participant
    Bonita wrote:  But, I’m wondering about those who do not accept the Word as truth, but instead twist and contort it . . . .
    We can only speculate the motives of those you mention.  One question to ponder about the motives of those people is what is their purpose, their goal?  What do they want to accomplish?  Who will benefit?  Who will be harmed?  I am reminded of this:
    48:6:33   Law is life itself and not the rules of its conduct. Evil is a transgression of law, not a violation of the rules of conduct pertaining to life, which is the law. Falsehood is not a matter of narration technique but something premeditated as a perversion of truth. The creation of new pictures out of old facts, the restatement of parental life in the lives of offspring — these are the artistic triumphs of truth. The shadow of a hair’s turning, premeditated for an untrue purpose, the slightest twisting or perversion of that which is principle — these constitute falseness. But the fetish of factualized truth, fossilized truth, the iron band of so-called unchanging truth, holds one blindly in a closed circle of cold fact. One can be technically right as to fact and everlastingly wrong in the truth.
    Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant
    Mara wrote:Remember what Jesus said about those who are not against him?
    Yes, I do remember that.  But some people declare, right out of the starting gate, that they are against you.  How can they be for you if they actually say they are against you?  Jesus didn’t have the same attitude toward the members of the Sanhedrin who openly claimed they were against him.  In fact, he turned and walked away from Annas when he perceived his coldness (unfriendliness). (142:0.2).  He didn’t bother with him one iota; he just walked away.
    In the quote you provided, Jesus tells us that those who do great works in his name will eventually have to support their claim.  So, this person was actually for Jesus, not against him.  He was mimicking him, and imitation is a sincere form of flattery. Jesus said, “in matters of this sort,”  not all matters.  So I don’t think you can apply that line of thinking to all situations and all people. Contentious people, like Annas, who do not make any attempt at mimicking the friendliness of Jesus are not the “matters” he was referring to. In my opinion I think the best thing to do in the case of these “matters”, is turn and walk away, to leave them to their own mental poisons. That’s what Jesus did.
    142:0.2   The first day in Jerusalem Jesus called upon his friend of former years, Annas, the onetime high priest and relative of Salome, Zebedee’s wife.  Annas had been hearing about Jesus and his teachings, and when Jesus called at the high priest’s home, he was received with much reserve. When Jesus perceived Annas’s coldness, he took immediate leave, saying as he departed: “Fear is man’s chief enslaver and pride his great weakness; will you betray yourself into bondage to both of these destroyers of joy and liberty?” But Annas made no reply. The Master did not again see Annas until the time when he sat with his son-in-law in judgment on the Son of Man.
    Mara
    Mara
    Participant

Okay.  Here’s the one I was looking for.

153:4:3   Then said Jesus: “How can Satan cast out Satan? A kingdom divided against itself cannot stand; if a house be divided against itself, it is soon brought to desolation. Can a city withstand a siege if it is not united? If Satan casts out Satan, he is divided against himself; how then shall his kingdom stand? But you should know that no one can enter into the house of a strong man and despoil his goods except he first overpower and bind that strong man. And so, if I by the power of Beelzebub cast out devils, by whom do your sons cast them out? Therefore shall they be your judges. But if I, by the spirit of God, cast out devils, then has the kingdom of God truly come upon you. If you were not blinded by prejudice and misled by fear and pride, you would easily perceive that one who is greater than devils stands in your midst. You compel me to declare that he who is not with me is against me, while he who gathers not with me scatters abroad. Let me utter a solemn warning to you who would presume, with your eyes open and with premeditated malice, knowingly to ascribe the works of God to the doings of devils! Verily, verily, I say to you, all your sins shall be forgiven, even all of your blasphemies, but whosoever shall blaspheme against God with deliberation and wicked intention shall never obtain forgiveness. Since such persistent workers of iniquity will never seek nor receive forgiveness, they are guilty of the sin of eternally rejecting divine forgiveness.
    Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant
    Mara wrote:  Okay.  Here’s the one I was looking for.

So how does that quote relate to my concern over those who do not accept the Word as truth and insist on twisting and contorting it?

I think those are the people who are scattering abroad, spreading manure, so to speak.  They’re the ones trying to gain access to the sheepfold by the wrong method.  Jesus called them thieves and robbers.

165:2.4   Every shepherd who gains entrance to the sheepfold by any other means than by the door is a thief and a robber.

Mara
    Mara
    Participant

“. . . but whosoever shall blaspheme against God with deliberation and wicked intention shall never obtain forgiveness. Since such persistent workers of iniquity will never seek nor receive forgiveness, they are guilty of the sin of eternally rejecting divine forgiveness.”

Are not these people the ones who

Bonita wrote:. . . do not accept the Word as truth and insist on twisting and contorting it?
    Are they the ones with wicked intentions?  Those who reject the Word?
    He is the Word made flesh.
    179:5:3   When they had finished drinking this new cup of remembrance . . . .  The word of the Father, as revealed in the Son, is indeed the bread of life.” When they had partaken of the bread of remembrance, the symbol of the living word of truth incarnated in the likeness of mortal flesh, they all sat down.
    And,
    145:2:5   “But even this is not a new idea. Many of the spiritually minded among you have known this truth, inasmuch as some of the prophets have so instructed you. Have you not read in the Scriptures where the Prophet Jeremiah says: ‘In those days they shall no more say, the fathers have eaten sour grapes and the children’s teeth are set on edge. Every man shall die for his own iniquity; every man who eats sour grapes, his teeth shall be set on edge. Behold, the days shall come when I will make a new covenant with my people, not according to the covenant which I made with their fathers when I brought them out of the land of Egypt, but according to the new way. I will even write my law in their hearts. I will be their God, and they shall be my people. In that day they shall not say, one man to his neighbor, do you know the Lord? Nay! For they shall all know me personally, from the least to the greatest.’”
    145:2:6   “Have you not read these promises? Do you not believe the Scriptures? Do you not understand that the prophet’s words are fulfilled in what you behold this very day? And did not Jeremiah exhort you to make religion an affair of the heart, to relate yourselves to God as individuals? Did not the prophet tell you that the God of heaven would search your individual hearts? And were you not warned that the natural human heart is deceitful above all things and oftentimes desperately wicked?
    145:2:7   “Have you not read also where Ezekiel taught even your fathers that religion must become a reality in your individual experiences? No more shall you use the proverb which says, ‘The fathers have eaten sour grapes and the children’s teeth are set on edge.’ ‘As I live,’ says the Lord God, ‘behold all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son. Only the soul that sins shall die.’ And then Ezekiel foresaw even this day when he spoke in behalf of God, saying: ‘A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you.’”
    Isn’t this what you are talking about “. . .And were you not warned that the natural human heart is deceitful above all things and oftentimes desperately wicked?”?
    Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant
    Mara wrote:  Isn’t this what you are talking about “. . .And were you not warned that the natural human heart is deceitful above all things and oftentimes desperately wicked?”?

Yup.  And we are also warned about wolves in sheep’s clothing.  They attempt to enter the sheepfold only to devour the sheep with their wickedness.  They’re the weeds the evil one sowed with the good seed, tangling up the roots below ground, in the darkness where you cannot see the extent of their wicked ways.  They are not real despite all their disguises, and like Jesus did, we should walk away from them.  Kick away the dirt from under our feet and keep moving.

Mara
    Mara
    Participant

Or, go the extra mile. Or turn the other cheek. Or realize this:

102:6:7   Belief may not be able to resist doubt and withstand fear, but faith is always triumphant over doubting, for faith is both positive and living. The positive always has the advantage over the negative, truth over error, experience over theory, spiritual realities over the isolated facts of time and space. The convincing evidence of this spiritual certainty consists in the social fruits of the spirit which such believers, faithers, yield as a result of this genuine spiritual experience. Said Jesus: “If you love your fellows as I have loved you, then shall all men know that you are my disciples.”
    Patient endurance is Jesus’ ideal of strength of character. 140:8:20

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

Yes, Jesus patiently walked away from Annas.  Jesus also stood stoic at his trial.  There are times when non-resistance means just shining your light and not becoming part of the chaos.  Allowing your inner light to shine shows the way out of the muck, mire, mud caused by the minions of madness, not just for yourself, but for others too.  That is going the extra mile and turning the other cheek.  Light shining is the positive way.

emanny3003
    Blocked

This reply has been reported for inappropriate content.

That is going the extra mile and turning the other cheek.

Four cheeks and there are no more to turn.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

Isaiah wrote:  And your ears shall hear a word behind you, saying, ‘this is the way, walk in it.  (Isaiah 30:21)

And the UB tells us that the Spirit of Truth says the same thing:

34:7.8 Having started out on the way of life everlasting, having accepted the assignment and received your orders to advance, do not fear the dangers of human forgetfulness and mortal inconstancy, do not be troubled with doubts of failure or by perplexing confusion, do not falter and question your status and standing, for in every dark hour, at every crossroad in the forward struggle, the Spirit of Truth will always speak, saying, “This is the way.”

Isaiah says we will hear a word, and the UB says that the Spirit of Truth will speak.  The Word does not necessarily have to be actual language, spoken or heard, but it is a form of communication recognized as the Way best to go.   The Word is really the Way.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 69 total)

Login to reply to this topic.

Not registered? Sign up here.