Help!!

Home Forums Support & Suggestions Help!!

15 sujets de 1 à 15 (sur un total de 69)
  • Auteur
    Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

The site has some odd things going on.  The « Submit » function is very unstable and often erases posts and ends in an error message or locked up.  Lots of frustration with some posters.  We should not need to copy every post to ensure we don’t get our hair on fire for losing an effort to communicate by posting.  And yes, my hair has been on fire more than once!  = )

Also, the Chat Now is not functioning and does not show who’s on line or allow any chatting….for those who may wish to do so.

Also, when you go to a registered posters Profile, I cannot actually see any information about topics begun or replies, etc.

And I noticed brooklynborn’s last post showed he posted but the post did not load for 2 whole days.  ??????

I would propose the site needs some beefing up and stabilization and some new features be considered as I know the software allows many modifications and different features and functions that might be helpful to the community and gain additional participation.

That’s all for now….I love this place so not carping….  ;-)

Kathleen
    Kathleen
    Maître des clés

Hi Brad,

This is the first I’ve heard of anything like this. Has it just started happening recently?

Moderators, are you aware of any of these kinds of problems? I’ll look into it and forward this to the webmaster but she may need more specifics. Will keep you posted.

Cheers,
    Kathleen

From Sydney, Australia

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

Love you Kathleen. And your team. Not new problems but seems no one has raised their hand. 😉

Moderator-1
    Moderator-1
    Modérateur

Moderators, are you aware of any of these kinds of problems?

Unstable “Submit” function started yesterday.  [Bradly wrote: The “Submit” function is very unstable and often erases posts and ends in an error message or locked up] A problem exactly like this occurred in the past, but the webmaster fixed it.

Also, when you go to a registered posters Profile, I cannot actually see any information about topics begun or replies, etc.

Lack of Profile information, as mentioned, is not new. Profiles have been like that for a long time.

I noticed brooklynborn’s last post showed he posted but the post did not load for 2 whole days.

His post was delayed because it was lodged in the Spam folder.  But we found it and posted it for him.

the Chat Now is not functioning and does not show who’s on line or allow any chatting….for those who may wish to do so.

We don’t know about this problem, nor did we know there was a problem.

tas
    Participant

Here’s what happened to me a moment ago. I wrote a post on the topic « The Cosmology of Light & Life », and after submitting it, it was visible as would be expected. I thought some of the spacing between paragraphs looked a little off so I used the edit button. Ultimately I made no changes, hit the post button again though since I didn’t see a cancel button. Now the post has disappeared, however I’m still indicated on the thread as the latest poster. Can it be salvaged? I have a copy that I can repost.

I then posted on another thread and that went fine. I’m wary about using the edit feature on posts now though.

Moderator-1
    Moderator-1
    Modérateur

Can it be salvaged?

I found it in the spam folder. It is restored and visible.

Brooklyn_born
    Brooklyn_born
    Participant

about a month ago when I returned to the site after submitting a post by hitting the submit button, the post did not register. Unfortunately, I did not copy/paste the writing, so all was lost. I think this problem has been around, at least since my return. Also, the edit feature is unstable. Sometimes it takes and other times it does not.

BB

Moderator-1
    Moderator-1
    Modérateur

about a month ago when I returned to the site after submitting a post by hitting the submit button, the post did not register. Unfortunately, I did not copy/paste the writing, so all was lost.

Sorry you lost your submission.  Since you came back to the site, your first post is dated June 24, 2017 on the topic of reincarnation.

Also, the edit feature is unstable. Sometimes it takes and other times it does not.

Kathleen can address this problem.  In the meantime copy everything before hitting the submit button.

Kathleen
    Kathleen
    Maître des clés

Dear Friends,

Apologies for the delay in replying but we haven’t been idle. The webmaster has been looking into these issues for us. I’ll address them piece by piece:

1. Unstable « submit » function resulting in lost posts and an error message. That started happening just after an upgrade had been run. The webmaster has been doing some tweaks and tests and hasn’t been able replicate the problem. Could you please let us know if it’s still happening.
    2. Lost posts and posts going to Spam. This problem did happen some time ago. The webmaster disconnected CleanTalk (the spam filter software) and has reinstalled an updated plugin. She has asked me if this kind of thing keeps happening to try to provide us with more specific information, like post IDs, dates etc. Regardless of whether you can catch specific info or not, please let me know if this keeps happening.
    3. Edit feature. In answer to Brooklyn born’s issue the webmaster said: « The edit feature becomes disabled after 3 days – that’s on purpose, I wonder if that is the issue being reported. Otherwise it would be nice to get a more in depth description of the issue. Is the edit link still there? What happens when she clicks on it? »
    4. Profiles. I’ve been looking at it–at first I was only able to see all the information on « Topics Started » but not on « Replies Created. » Then I looked again a few days later and was able to see « Replies Created. » This may have been fixed after the webmaster did those tweaks. Would you please let me know if you still can’t see all the profile info? We need to make sure it’s not something admins can see but regular users cannot.
    5. Chat Now. The webmaster looked at the Cometchat plugin and found it did have some errors; also it’s a pretty old version and because it’s not a WordPress plugin it doesn’t get updated regularly. She suggested we replace it with a new version. We’re in the process of purchasing a new license for it now but it hasn’t been installed yet. I’ll let you know when it’s done and then ask you to let me know if it still doesn’t work.

Apologies for the inconvenience these problems have caused. I suggest as a matter of habit when writing involved replies (that would break your heart if you lost), copy and paste it at regular intervals (ctrlA/ctrlC) and paste it into a Word doc (ctrlV) then save it (ctrlS). (Very quick and easy when you use those shortcuts in the brackets.)

Warm regards to all,
    Kathleen

From Sydney, Australia

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

Unstable “submit” function resulting in lost posts and an error message. That started happening just after an upgrade had been run. The webmaster has been doing some tweaks and tests and hasn’t been able replicate the problem. Could you please let us know if it’s still happening.

Kathleen, it has been my experience that it is more a problem with the « Keep me signed in » feature.  What has happened to me so often is that I think I’m signed in while composing a post, but when I hit the submit button the post disappears because I’m no longer signed in.  The draft is not retrievable either.  It’s not the submit button that is the problem.  The problem is being logged off without notification.

What does « Keep me signed in » mean?  Obviously it has a time feature which is not explained anywhere.  What is the amount of time a person is allowed to remain signed in once clicking that box?   Can that time interval be changed?    If not, why?

Here’s what I have noticed: If I DO NOT click the « Keep me signed in » box, it appears that I remain logged in for about 24 hours even if I leave the site.  And, if I DO click the « Keep me signed in » box, it appears I remain logged in for about 24 hours.   No difference.

So, what I’m trying to say is that it looks to me like the « Keep me signed in » feature is KAPUT, not the « Submit » button.  Is that so??

Kathleen
    Kathleen
    Maître des clés

Dear Bonita,

Thank you for that info. I’ve passed it onto the webmaster and she said it’s very useful to know this. She suspects there could be a conflict with a couple of things so she’s made a change that she hopes will fix the problem. She is dependent on user feedback so could you please let us know if the problem is ongoing or appears to be fixed?

Regards,
    Kathleen

From Sydney, Australia

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

Will do Kathleen.  Thanks for addressing the problem.

Another thing I’ve been complaining about for months is that I am no longer getting email notification of new posts.  I’ve clicked  the « Notify me of follow-up replies via email » box before submitting a post, but nothing ever happens.

Kathleen
    Kathleen
    Maître des clés

Oh gee Bonita, I thought all that had been fixed. Apologies, I didn’t realise it was still happening. I’ll add it to the troubleshooting list.

Cheers,
    Kathleen

From Sydney, Australia

Kathleen
    Kathleen
    Maître des clés

Hi again Bonita,

Before I send this off for troubleshooting, can you please let me know if you’re getting them now? I just checked your User settings (which I should have done before sending the last post) and found the settings for sending the email notifications was switched off. Not sure why–sometimes odd things happen when upgrades are done. I’ve reset them and theoretically it should work now.

Cheers,
    Kathleen

From Sydney, Australia

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

Kathleen,  should I have received an email about your last post?  If so, I didn’t get one.  I’ll wait until there are some posts to make sure though.  Thanks for your efforts.  I should have looked at my own profile, but as I recall, the last time I looked the box was checked.  Could be wrong though . . .

15 sujets de 1 à 15 (sur un total de 69)

Login to reply to this topic.

Not registered? Sign up here.