Handy Tips

15 sujets de 1 à 15 (sur un total de 25)
  • Auteur
    Kathleen
    Kathleen
    Maître des clés

Dear Forum Users,

The following are some tips you may find handy when using these Forums.

Email Alerts: if you wish to receive email alerts of posts on any particular forum, click the ‘Subscribe’ link. You will be alerted when a new thread has been started. Note: You must also click ‘Subscribe’ on each of the threads if you wish to receive alerts for all replies within a thread.

To receive an email alert each day that tells you which Forums have had any new activity in the way of a new topic or a reply to existing topics follow these steps:

a. Go into your Profile. (To view your profile click on the word ‘Profile’ found on top right hand corner if you’re in a Forum already, or the top left hand corner if you’re in the Forums Home page. Or alternatively, if you’re in a thread and can see one of your own postings, click on your avatar.)

b. Once you’re in your profile, click on ‘Edit’. Scroll down to “bbPress Digest Emails”. Follow the prompts. I suggest you click on “yes” if you want to receive the daily digest with active forum topics for that day. Then choose which hour you’d like them to be sent, and lastly select if you want alerts from ALL forums or just from selected ones.

d. Scroll down to “Forum Notifications”. It’s recommended you choose ‘yes’ against all 3 options.

e. Scroll right down to the end of your profile and click the blue “Update Profile” button. You’ll start to receive an email each day at the time you specified that lists all the topics that have had any activity in the past 24 hours. Each one will have a link so you can go straight to the ones you wish to view.

Editor tool bar: if you only have one row of tools on your editor tool bar click the ‘toolbar toggle’ icon to get a second row with more editing features.

Quoting: if you wish to quote something click the icon on the tool bar to indent the quote.

Copy and Pasting: if you wish to copy and paste from places outside the forum, click the icon on the tool bar before you paste so the text doesn’t come in garbled. Click again to return to normal text.

Support: remember, if you have any questions or suggestions go to the ‘Support and Suggestions’ forum where an Admin person will attend to your questions.

Regards,
    Website Management Committee

From Sydney, Australia

André
    André
    Participant

Bonjour Kathleen,

Could you please tell me whats means abbreviation   » IMO « .

Merci

André
    André
    Participant

IMO is « In My Opinion ».

André
    André
    Participant

… didn’t know how to delete a post?

André
    André
    Participant

André
    André
    Participant

Fellow Keymaster,

Thread: #20428

p.s. Sorry tools or improvement available to edit… seems not available.

Would it be possible to edit a better way my thread?

Could you suggest me which computer language this site is using… so I can use it and improve my thread.

I’m not aware how many”key master” or ”moderator” are working to improve or facilitate my session.

But, I am aware of another member who wasn’t satisfied of tools on edition’s box. How come she didn’t receive or be acknowledged a issue for a better improvement?

What is the situation concerning a demand or concern about having a forum with communication between”administrators” and”clientele”?

Probably, my perception is inadequate.

Maybe you do your best, but due to budget or miss of the workforce !!!

I never heard in administration thread a called on all potential relevant participants.

Suggestions:

·      what about a newsletter once every semester to let us feel you are up there, emphasis dynamic ”reaching out” ?
    ·      what about letting us know how healthful is our forum ?

p.s   everyone reading this post agree or disagree with my point of view?   Would you make a comment?  Any suggestions?

Thanks

Kathleen
    Kathleen
    Maître des clés

Dear Andre,

Yes, we admin folk are real people! We’re all volunteers who are devoted to the revelation. We’re also very busy as we wear many hats – both in our work for The Urantia Book and in our personal and working lives. I am a Project Manager for this entire website – I don’t use the Forums very much but I can help out with trouble shooting. If anything is beyond me I go to the webmaster.

I’ve been investigating the problem with your posts and have tried to figure out why you’re having these problems. I notice you have a lot of formatting that is foreign to the default formatting of the website. This Forum is intentionally quite simple and basic – it’s main function is for communication and doesn’t have a lot of fancy formatting options. Some of your posts had content that were unreadable; no doubt that was why they were removed as « inappropriate content ». I asked the webmaster if she could shed any light on it for us. Here’s is what she said in her answer to me:

When you paste text from other places it can carry over the text style in strange code. That is probably what’s happening with his strange font posts. I think it also relates to the « inappropriate content. » I’ve checked out his reported posts, and they contain nothing more than empty html tags, no content. My guess is that a moderator didn’t know what to do with these strange empty posts, so flagged them as inappropriate rather than deleting them, which is what should have happened. If any of his posts have been removed, it’s probably because they were also empty html tags.

If he toggles on the icon in the tool bar « paste as text » mode (the one with the T), when he pastes in text, the styles should be stripped out.

He also seemed to be complaining about not being able to edit his posts. The site currently allows editing for up to 3 days after something is posted. I’m not sure whether he’s trying to edit a post too late or if it’s something else.

So Andre, I suggest you keep the formatting down to a minimum and if you wish to copy something from another site that has fancy formatting, then follow the instructions for stripping out the styles in case they are not compatible with the styles for the Forum.

About giving you information about the « health » of the Forum – my take on it is that if people are engaging in discussions, then it’s healthy. You can tell how much it is being used, and find out about any new posts if you get the daily email alert with a link to all the new posts for the past 24 hours. There are instructions on how to set that up in your profile in my original post on Handy Hints.

About sending you some news, that’s a good idea. We haven’t been very good at making generic announcements on the Forum. However, our Association has a regular newsletter called Tidings. It goes out every couple of months or so to everyone on our mailing list who has an email address. Have you subscribed to the Association’s mailing list? If not go to http://urantia-association.org/about-uai/join-our-mailing-list/ and sign up so you can get the online newsletter in your email.

That said however, we should also send a message in the Forum letting you know a new newsletter has been published. They are all stored on this website. You can find them at http://urantia-association.org/publications/tidings-newsletter/tidings-archives/. Tidings give you news of what’s going on around the world with many of the reader groups and associations – particularly those that are members of the International Association. You may also be interested in receiving the Journal which is published quarterly and has very interesting and thought provoking articles written by readers on topics from The Urantia Book. You can find the Journals at http://urantia-association.org/publications/uai-journal/journal-archives/.

I hope this has been helpful Andre. We’re doing our best to provide this service, which I know is not perfect, but it sure helps us all communicate with one another, which is the main point. I wish you well in your journey with the Urantia revelation.

Regards,
    Kathleen

From Sydney, Australia

André
    André
    Participant

Dear Kathleen,

Thanks to paid attention and with empathy answered my notice.

It reminds me UB tell us God implied Himself regarding oneself but let us settle divergences, problems among 2 individuals or group. My notice wasn’t disregarding all the tasks implied by all of you who works behind the screen. You all committed at a noble cause prevailing UB readers a virtual platform to get acquainted.

Warms and brotherly regards,

André

André
    André
    Participant

Message to moderators.

Wouldn’t be possible to explain to us yours brothers and sisters, the functions you have and the ways you decide to act on them?

I read comments concerning participants who wander to a point they use propaganda, sophisms and discredit TUB.

suggestion: Why you did  not start a thread where we can communicate with you?  …. and allowed us to reach you?   Even Jesus always let the apostles knows why  they were left alone to discuss whit Rodan  or settle among themselves a decision concerning the group. But at least, He let them knows.

Still, if you are not interested to answer my pledge ….  could you let me (us) knows.

Thanks,

André

Moderator-2
    Modérateur

Dear Andre,

Thank you for your comments and suggestions. The moderators are responsible for ensuring that the Association website forums conform to the rules and guidelines established by the International Service Board (ISB) and the members of the Association’s Representative Council. Here is a list of the rules with regard to appropriate conduct on the Association’s forums:

• Be kind, fair, respectful and courteous at all times without personal attacks or foul language.
    • Please bear in mind, that our social network is dedicated to The Urantia Book, therefore abide by the stated purpose of this social network.
    • TheUAI Policy on Channeling applies to this entire social network.
    • Spam is disallowed.
    • Solicitation of funds for organizations other than UAI or Urantia Foundation must be submitted to UAI Central Office for review and approval before posting.
    • Participants are subject to a 3-strike policy regarding misconduct. First, a private warning; second a 30-day ban from the social-network; third infraction within a year may result in de-registration.

The moderators enforce these rules via collective deliberation on a case by case basis. We do not want to be seen as ‘thought police’, nor is it our role to censor the views of participants. The wording of the rules clearly allows for flexibility of approach; a number of factors are taken into consideration when we are called upon to exercise our role in dealing with an erring party. Initially, we may allow a trangressor to self-correct or other participants to do the correcting. If these steps are unsuccessful, and the misconduct continues, we will make personal contact with the person concerned. We do not wish to be punitive. We want to encourage honest-hearted people to use the forums, rather than frighten them away. This is obviously an imperfect process and we acknowledge that we sometimes get the ‘balance’ wrong. There are times when we have been told that we are too heavy-handed and there are times when we’ve been told that we are too lenient. I agree with you Andre that we should be open to questions, suggestions, and criticism. To that end, we have a forum entitled « Support and Suggestions » where participants can make contact with the site administrators. Perhaps, according to your suggestion, we the moderators could start a thread on that forum which invites people to communicate with us.

I hope this has been helpful in addressing your concerns but don’t hesitate to ask further questions or to express your viewpoint.

Brotherly love,

Moderator 2

André
    André
    Participant

Dears fellows,

Thank you Katleen and M2 to respond lengthy about my concerns.

Is it possible to make search only writing a post?

Post ∗21793     Maybe there is a way … how?

Are you  »mods » aware of attendance of  »silent audience » ?  … if so, as I suggest above via a specific thread from  » Mods »  you could encourage active participants.

…. as another thread Chuck recently mention having possibilities to post a « superthreads » concerning a deeper and lasting study of TUB.    Ring a bell?

I really think from the participants having an brotherly access to you might improve ambiance and « relations ».

And if still too demanding I repeat my offers to help you.

Gratitude,

André

André
    André
    Participant

G’day everyone,

Looking for tips please.

When using editing box.  What do you do to insert a image among the text?

What did you do to  highlight  a text and when clic on it /redirection url to another page or text?

Will be helpful… thanks you.

André

Mara
    Mara
    Participant

What do you do to insert a image among the text?

I find an image I want to insert and right click it and  menu is generated asking you what you want to do. From the menu I select « Copy Image. » And then I paste it . . .

This picture is 220 x 293. I’m not sure what is the upper limit of the size of the images allowable here, but I think smaller ones are better.  Not sure.

What did you do to  highlight  a text and when clic on it /redirection url to another page or text?

To create a redirection link to another page or text, you are going to use « Insert/edit link » above. The symbol looks like a sideways paperclip with a little bar inside.  (It’s next to the « Align right » symbol.)  Click on it and you get a small dialog box.  Click on « Options » and a large dialog box appears asking you for 1. the URL of the page, paste it there, and 2. your descriptive word or words which will show up in blue and underlined, indicting that if someone want to check it out, it will redirect them to the address of the URL.   For example here is the link to the truck picture I got from Google . . .

TRUCK

I’m not an expert on this stuff, but I hope this helps.   :-)

André
    André
    Participant

Dear Mara,

… what a kindly and brotherhood respondent.

Has you might observe and discern lately I had suffered some resentments. It’s common for most of us to carry resentment against other people or some past situations. The root cause of resentment of course is that our ego, or sense of self, feels “insulted” or slighted in some manner.

Whatever might be my  »ego trip » I feel sad being ignored when I took the time to share thoughts with specifically brothers/sisters spirit-led existence . Outside the brotherhood,  »I » deal with it.

Being related to this forum result in a consequence to socialize, be a part with my Family. UB tells us to take decisions, decisions and decisions. As through and with our specific personality’s characteristics  we all discern in a unique way God …  is still important what we have to said, what we think, is it contrasting or abiding with what God The Supreme try to express ? 117:4.13

Mara    Résultats de recherche d'images pour « thank you »

Mara
    Mara
    Participant

. . . we all discern in a unique way God …  is still important what we have to said, what we think. . . .

You’re right andré.  I know what you mean.  Thanks for sharing.  Sharing is Godlike, even if we don’t get the results we wanted, but maybe something better is just ahead.

:-)

15 sujets de 1 à 15 (sur un total de 25)

Login to reply to this topic.

Not registered? Sign up here.