Destinies of Ascending Sons

Home Forums Urantia Book General Discussions Destinies of Ascending Sons

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    cazenovi
    Participant

I am studying paper 40, and the last paragraph, 40:10:14, indicates that even as mortals, we are able to “recognize (our) place in the family of divine sonship”.

I seek understanding and truth regarding how I am to begin to recognize my destiny in the ascending orders of sonship, and then therefore begin my divine journey now?

EDIT: When the UB speaks of “recognizing our place”, that is, a place, or service that resonates with my spirit and adjuster, and thereby living that service in all possible mortal means now?

Cazenovi.

Mark Kurtz
    Participant

Hello Cazenovi,

Have you read Parts I and II of The Urantia Book?  Some portions of these papers are  difficult, but I believe these two parts address your concern.  Stick with it and you will find the answers you seek.   I short, we are on Urantia, a planet of one system, Satania, destined to contain many inhabited planets.  Satania is one of many systems comprising a constellation, of which many make up a local universe.  There are many locals in seven super universes.  Mortals begin life on a nativity sphere in our Satania system and then after mortal body death, we ascend to the next life level, if we accept sonship relations with God.  For each person there is an ascension plan that leads each individual to Paradise.  This said, the book does say we each are important, valued, loved and unique in all Creation and that we do have a place in all this huge arrangement!  We have a place and we are informed of a few details of where we fit.

Let others here address your concern also!

Meantime, this is a place to discuss concerns and questions about UB teachings and we all are students learning from one another!

Welcome.

cazenovi
    Participant

Mark, I appreciate your response. Yes, I have read them and understand the arrangement outlined therein. My question more or less lies in recognizing the place in the orders I fit in and work in one accord my Adjuster in advance.

Thank you for the welcoming embrace.

Cazenovi.

Mara
    Mara
    Participant

. . . how I am to begin to recognize my destiny in the ascending orders of sonship, . . .

Welcome cazenovi!  Great questions.  I can share references from the book, and I will.  But in my own words the recognition of my destiny lies within oneself.  I liken it to an inner affirmation – that still small voice within –  confirming to you that yes, you are one of God’s children, as we all are, and we’re participating in the greatest of all adventures – the eternal journey to find God our Father, the Father of all Fathers on Paradise.

26:11:5  The mortal creature must find God. The Creator Son never stops until he finds man — the lowest will creature. Beyond doubt, the Creator Sons and their mortal children are preparing for some future and unknown universe service. Both traverse the gamut of the experiential universe and so are educated and trained for their eternal mission. Throughout the universes there is occurring this unique blending of the human and the divine, the commingling of creature and Creator. Unthinking mortals have referred to the manifestation of divine mercy and tenderness, especially towards the weak and in behalf of the needy, as indicative of an anthropomorphic God. What a mistake! Rather should such manifestations of mercy and forbearance by human beings be taken as evidence thatmortal man is indwelt by the spirit of the living God; that the creature is, after all, divinity motivated.

I seek understanding and truth regarding how I am to begin to recognize my destiny in the ascending orders of sonship, and then therefore begin my divine journey now?

Here’s a favorite reference:
    196:3:10  The human mind does not create real values; human experience does not yield universe insight. Concerning insight, the recognition of moral values and the discernment of spiritual meanings, all that the human mind can do is to discover, recognize, interpret, and choose.
    You discover truth; you recognize it because it resonates with you; you interpret it to apprehend its meaning; and you choose it.  Here’s another one I like.
    155:6:13  When you once begin to find God in your soul, presently you will begin to discover him in other men’s souls and eventually in all the creatures and creations of a mighty universe. But what chance does the Father have to appear as a God of supreme loyalties and divine ideals in the souls of men who give little or no time to the thoughtful contemplation of such eternal realities? While the mind is not the seat of the spiritual nature, it is indeed the gateway thereto.
    :-)

cazenovi
    Participant

Mara,

I thank you too for your contribution. I have long accepted the invitation of sonship, therefore as far as mortal man can attain, I indeed have found my Father, he is within me though and through, although an eternal journey find him as possibly, finaliters. Your expressions and quoted references make clear to me that through spiritual insight, mortals, faith sons of God, are able to make a choice now a course of service towards which we ultimately desire to gain. When the UB speaks of “recognizing our place”, that is, a place, or service that resonates with my spirit and adjuster, and thereby living that service in all possible mortal means now?

Cazenovi.

Mara
    Mara
    Participant

My guess is that you are already on your way in recognizing  your destiny.  I make this inference as the result of the sincerity of your questions.  BTW I think anyone who is seeking the truth will find it.  The discovery of it is sort of like a continuum of peaks and valleys.  But faith always trumps doubt.  I like this:

34:7:8  Having started out on the way of life everlasting, having accepted the assignment and received your orders to advance, do not fear the dangers of human forgetfulness and mortal inconstancy, do not be troubled with doubts of failure or by perplexing confusion, do not falter and question your status and standing, for in every dark hour, at every crossroad in the forward struggle, the Spirit of Truth will always speak, saying, “This is the way.”
    Mara
    Mara
    Participant

When the UB speaks of “recognizing our place”, that is, a place, or service that resonates with my spirit and adjuster, and thereby living that service in all possible mortal means now?

Great!  I think I missed your point.  Sorry.  Are you saying that you want to apply yourself (spirit and adjuster) to service that resonates with you now by all possible mortal means?  Sorry to be so dense.

cazenovi
    Participant

My guess is that you are already on your way in recognizing your destiny. I make this inference as the result of the sincerity of your questions. BTW I think anyone who is seeking the truth will find it. The discovery of it is sort of like a continuum of peaks and valleys. But faith always trumps doubt. I like this:

34:7:8 Having started out on the way of life everlasting, having accepted the assignment and received your orders to advance, do not fear the dangers of human forgetfulness and mortal inconstancy, do not be troubled with doubts of failure or by perplexing confusion, do not falter and question your status and standing, for in every dark hour, at every crossroad in the forward struggle, the Spirit of Truth will always speak, saying, “This is the way.”

Beautiful quote. Do not worry, this in itself helped.

Great! I think I missed your point. Sorry. Are you saying that you want to apply yourself (spirit and adjuster) to service that resonates with you now by all possible mortal means? Sorry to be so dense.

Yes, that is a more specific question. Thank you for rephrasing, the fault is mine for not being clear in which I am asking.  ;-)

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

Welcome cazenovi !!!

You ask above, and then clarify the question:

“I seek understanding and truth regarding how I am to begin to recognize my destiny in the ascending orders of sonship, and then therefore begin my divine journey now?

My question more or less lies in recognizing the place in the orders I fit in and work in one accord my Adjuster in advance.”

Me here:  The very purpose of the Urantia Book is to clarify this exact question of origin and destiny.  I was thrilled to discover that material born ascenders are the most privileged (I think) of all beings in the universe of universes!!  We are the only order of being that has the Father within.  We climb the highest mountain of all ascenders, by starting at the lowest point relative to the highest point of Paradise itself.  Only we experience every single level of existence in our sojourn to Paradise.  Only we are able to “see” all reality once we attain Paradise – from the material to the morontial to the spirit, mortals attain an experience and a utility that is unique to our status as finaliters.  Ours is the greatest adventure ever imagined!!

31:3.7 (348.4) 3. The glorified mortals of the Paradise Corps of Finality are ascendant beings in possession of experiential knowledge of every step of the actuality and philosophy of the fullest possible life of intelligent existence, while during the ages of this ascent from the lowest material worlds to the spiritual heights of Paradise, these surviving creatures have been trained to the limits of their capacity respecting every detail of every divine principle of the just and efficient, as well as merciful and patient, administration of all the universal creation of time and space.

31:10.20 (354.6) Evolutionary mortals are born on the planets of space, pass through the morontia worlds, ascend the spirit universes, traverse the Havona spheres, find God, attain Paradise, and are mustered into the primary Corps of the Finality, therein to await the next assignment of universe service. There are six other assembling finality corps, but Grandfanda, the first mortal ascender, presides as Paradise chief of all orders of finaliters. And as we view this sublime spectacle, we all exclaim: What a glorious destiny for the animal-origin children of time, the material sons of space!

Me here:  But, you ask, what are we to do to achieve such a destiny?   I once began searching for God’s will as though it was some thing or some where that I must find and do.  The Papers tell us that it is not “what” we do so much as “how” we do all that we do – when we begin to make choices based on the motive and the intent to seek, know, and do God’s will sincerely with every choice, intersection of decision, and in every relationship with another person, we have begun the journey and the education that is our destiny.  When we seek the will and the way of Father, then is placed upon our path all that is needed, according to our experience and wisdom, to become and do even greater things….in service to others, and to all others, and to the Kingdom itself.  We begin to recognize that we are one within an entire universe family of God’s children….and we begin to act with this truth and knowledge guiding every step and choice.

We are taught that we are measured more by the direction we travel on the pilgrim’s path and far less by our speed of progress or attainment thereof.  Very soon upon our sincere efforts to live in the kingdom and to serve in the kingdom, comes the fruits of the spirit – happiness, confidence, sublime peace of mind, joy, humor, soul filling light and life!!  We must learn how to better respond to what happens and is encountered upon the pilgrim’s path….rather than attempt to determine what will happen or when or how.  Every intersection of choice brings lessons, experience, and the opportunity for greater wisdom.  What do we want and hope for?  That is what leads us forward.

We are also taught that sincerity of heart does not end our confusions or frustrations as we embark upon this educational adventure.  We are to learn to be confident in facing our confusions which can only be lessened by experience, wisdom, and progress in the spirit.  We are to be as joyful children in endless adventure among a beloved and extended family in this friendly universe….and that is how we get to paradise….one day, one step, one lesson, one adventure at a time.

39:4.14 (435.7) The keys of the kingdom of heaven are: sincerity, more sincerity, and more sincerity. All men have these keys. Men use them — advance in spirit status — by decisions, by more decisions, and by more decisions. The highest moral choice is the choice of the highest possible value, and always — in any sphere, in all of them — this is to choose to do the will of God. If man thus chooses, he is great, though he be the humblest citizen of Jerusem or even the least of mortals on Urantia.

Me:  this one has always inspired me….and delivered much relief to all anxieties:

100:1.4 (1094.6) Children are permanently impressed only by the loyalties of their adult associates; precept or even example is not lastingly influential. Loyal persons are growing persons, and growth is an impressive and inspiring reality. Live loyally today — grow — and tomorrow will attend to itself. The quickest way for a tadpole to become a frog is to live loyally each moment as a tadpole.

100:1.5 (1094.7) The soil essential for religious growth presupposes a progressive life of self-realization, the co-ordination of natural propensities, the exercise of curiosity and the enjoyment of reasonable adventure, the experiencing of feelings of satisfaction, the functioning of the fear stimulus of attention and awareness, the wonder-lure, and a normal consciousness of smallness, humility. Growth is also predicated on the discovery of selfhood accompanied by self-criticism — conscience, for conscience is really the criticism of oneself by one’s own value-habits, personal ideals.

100:1.6 (1095.1) Religious experience is markedly influenced by physical health, inherited temperament, and social environment. But these temporal conditions do not inhibit inner spiritual progress by a soul dedicated to the doing of the will of the Father in heaven. There are present in all normal mortals certain innate drives toward growth and self-realization which function if they are not specifically inhibited. The certain technique of fostering this constitutive endowment of the potential of spiritual growth is to maintain an attitude of wholehearted devotion to supreme values.

100:1.7 (1095.2) Religion cannot be bestowed, received, loaned, learned, or lost. It is a personal experience which grows proportionally to the growing quest for final values. Cosmic growth thus attends on the accumulation of meanings and the ever-expanding elevation of values. But nobility itself is always an unconscious growth.

100:1.8 (1095.3) Religious habits of thinking and acting are contributory to the economy of spiritual growth. One can develop religious predispositions toward favorable reaction to spiritual stimuli, a sort of conditioned spiritual reflex. Habits which favor religious growth embrace cultivated sensitivity to divine values, recognition of religious living in others, reflective meditation on cosmic meanings, worshipful problem solving, sharing one’s spiritual life with one’s fellows, avoidance of selfishness, refusal to presume on divine mercy, living as in the presence of God. The factors of religious growth may be intentional, but the growth itself is unvaryingly unconscious.

Best wishes!

Bradly  :good:

Mara
    Mara
    Participant

I am studying paper 40, and the last paragraph, 40:10:14, indicates that even as mortals, we are able to “recognize (our) place in the family of divine sonship”.

A question came to mind while reading the last paragraph.  Here’s the paragraph:

40:10:14  As mortals you can now recognize your place in the family of divine sonship and begin to sense the obligation to avail yourselves of the advantages so freely provided in and by the Paradise plan for mortal survival, which plan has been so enhanced and illuminated by the life experience of a bestowal Son. Every facility and all power have been provided for insuring your ultimate attainment of the Paradise goal of divine perfection.
    Once we recognize our place in the family of divine sonship, we begin to sense the obligation to avail ourselves “. . .of the advantages so freely provided in and by the Paradise plan for mortal survival, which plan has been so enhanced and illuminated by the life experience of a bestowal Son. Every facility and all power have been provided for insuring your ultimate attainment of the Paradise goal of divine perfection.”
     Would anyone care to discuss what the advantages are that are so freely provided in and by the Paradise plan for mortal survival?
    Mara
    Mara
    Participant

Would anyone care to discuss what the advantages are that are so freely provided in and by the Paradise plan for mortal survival?

One advantage is love – the kind of love that pours in upon our hearts and registers in the soul – the kind of love from above that is gifted to us 24/7 without discrimination of persons – freely given to every soul, and in my opinion beckoning every soul to get that Father-love going, thus advantaging the person to be more than he/she ever thought she/he could ever be.

156:5:11  You are destined to live a narrow and mean life if you learn to love only those who love you. Human love may indeed be reciprocal, but divine love is outgoing in all its satisfaction-seeking. The less of love in any creature’s nature, the greater the love need, and the more does divine love seek to satisfy such need. Love is never self-seeking, and it cannot be self-bestowed. Divine love cannot be self-contained; it must be unselfishly bestowed.

cazenovi
    Participant

Mara, I feel as the advantages are explored, we can begin to recognize the place and destiny and role we wish to serve in in the orders while attaining the ultimate goal. I would definitely like to discuss this further, but I would have to research and become more knowledgeable to provide any meaningful contribution.

Mara
    Mara
    Participant

. . . I would have to research and become more knowledgeable. . . .

The beauty of it is the truth that all of us are students who need to research and become more knowledgeable.  The question is thought provoking to me too.  My response  to my question is (to me) a fundamental one about love which is experientially received no matter where on earth you are and irrespective of the conditions in which you live.  I’m talking about our heavenly Father’s love for us.

But here is a “material” example of what occurs over and over and over again everywhere on earth.  This is my observation.  A few years ago I went to Malaysia, more specifically the island of Borneo, to serve as a Peace Corps volunteer.  The people had nothing.  The point I wish to make is that though they had nothing, they gave their all with great sacrifice to themselves to the foreign visitor in the village.

The standard of living was one of subsistence based on the amount of rice harvested from plots of land that were cultivated by the slash and burn method.  Other foodstuffs were collected from the jungle or planted near the rice plot.  Yet they feasted and celebrated when I visited.  A chicken, precious to them, would be killed and cooked to share with me, and they went all out in a way that sort of embarrassed me, but I couldn’t prevent it.  I tell you this to share my understanding of the way people are in their generosity, though they have little or nothing to share.  It is amazing!  But then, sharing is Godlike. (111:5:1)

Mara
    Mara
    Participant

I couldn’t prevent it.

It goes without saying that we cannot prevent God from pouring forth his divine love and everything else.

4:1:6  The Universal Father has not withdrawn from the management of the universes; he is not an inactive Deity. If God should retire as the present upholder of all creation, there would immediately occur a universal collapse. Except for God, there would be no such thing as reality. At this very moment, as during the remote ages of the past and in the eternal future, God continues to uphold. The divine reach extends around the circle of eternity. The universe is not wound up like a clock to run just so long and then cease to function; all things are constantly being renewed. The Father unceasingly pours forth energy, light, and life. The work of God is literal as well as spiritual. “He stretches out the north over the empty space and hangs the earth upon nothing.”
    Ascendant destiny is a freewill choice.
    54:6:9  One error of human thinking respecting these problems consists in the idea that all evolutionary mortals on an evolving planet would choose to enter upon the Paradise career if sin had not cursed their world. The ability to decline survival does not date from the times of the Lucifer rebellion.Mortal man has always possessed the endowment of freewill choice regarding the Paradise career.
    Mara
    Mara
    Participant

It goes without saying that we cannot prevent God from pouring forth his divine love and everything else.

I am acquainted with people who say no, no, no, there is no God, and by taking that position such people decline the life-saving advantages at hand, in mind and in spirit to come to grips with the mastery of self.

34:6:9  In every mortal there exists a dual nature: the inheritance of animal tendencies and the high urge of spirit endowment. During the short life youlive on Urantia, these two diverse and opposing urges can seldom be fully reconciled; they can hardly be harmonized and unified; but throughout your lifetime the combined Spirit ever ministers to assist you in subjecting the flesh more and more to the leading of the Spirit. Even though you must live your material life through, even though you cannot escape the body and its necessities, nonetheless, in purpose and ideals you are empowered increasingly to subject the animal nature to the mastery of the Spirit. There truly exists within you a conspiracy of spiritual forces, a confederation of divine powers, whose exclusive purpose is to effect your final deliverance from material bondage and finite handicaps.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 67 total)

Login to reply to this topic.

Not registered? Sign up here.