Designer Babies, Character & CRISPR

Home Forums Science & History Designer Babies, Character & CRISPR

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant
    Good news! Gene therapy and genetic conservation are winning the hearts and minds of parents, and no coercion is used or required. Parents naturally want healthy babies. Seems like a basic human right ought to be a disease-free set of genes with which to begin life.
    The potential for the new CRISPR technology (precise gene splicing) is all but limitless. Humanity, for the first time, has the ability to remove genetic diseases before birth. Much frank and open debate needs to occur on a global level, if we are to remain in control of this astonishing new technology. It is interesting that science is now beginning to understand that character has its foundation in our genes, as the UB author affirms.
    …heredity lies at the bottom of all character…. 76:2.6 (848.6)

Richard E Warren

Gene
    Participant

Makes ya stretch the brain trying to imagine what really happens on the worlds of the Life Carriers.

Somebody knows the end from the beginning.

Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant

Makes ya stretch the brain trying to imagine what really happens on the worlds of the Life Carriers. Somebody knows the end from the beginning.

Ha! Yeah Gene, we could use their advice about now. Know any? ;-)  

Richard E Warren

Gene
    Participant

Not yet.

but: being lower on the totem than Lanonandeks, we should have future opportunity to study under and maybe even work alongside.

hope CRISPR used highest wisdom.

Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant

Not yet. but: being lower on the totem than Lanonandeks, we should have future opportunity to study under and maybe even work alongside.

Maybe!

hope CRISPR used highest wisdom.

Me too. But you know us, we always do the right thing…last.

Richard E Warren

rock
    rock
    Participant

It is fine that gene editing tools and methods have been developed and are being developed further. But, there are some dangers too. They enable us to develop synthetic DNA sequences that do not occur in the nature. Natural mutations are usually tiny. Synthetic alterations could be unlimited, depending on how great leaps developers are willing to take.

I would not wish to limit scientific work, but editing genome of existing species –especially our own– may be dangerous.

I would recommend restrictions for limiting actions to negative eugenics with best methods available, and leave possible gene editing for future generations.

Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant

It is fine that gene editing tools and methods have been developed and are being developed further. But, there are some dangers too. They enable us to develop synthetic DNA sequences that do not occur in the nature. Natural mutations are usually tiny. Synthetic alterations could be unlimited, depending on how great leaps developers are willing to take. I would not wish to limit scientific work, but editing genome of existing species –especially our own– may be dangerous. I would recommend restrictions for limiting actions to negative eugenics with best methods available, and leave possible gene editing for future generations.

Wise words, rock. There are many global symposiums debating the ethical, social, and medical ethics that gene editing implies.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=crispr+debate+forums

Richard E Warren

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Login to reply to this topic.

Not registered? Sign up here.