Cosmic Consciousness

Home Forums Urantia Book General Discussions Cosmic Consciousness

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

Reader asked me to post my description of cosmic consciousness in a separate thread.  I’ve reproduced it below and welcome comments or criticisms.

Cosmic Consciousness

Cosmic consciousness is an experiential consciousness, part of the evolution of the Supreme Being.  The cosmic mind is made accessible to personality by the ministration of the Holy Spirit, a personal mind ministry. And when combined with the presence of the Adjuster, creates the capacity for spiritual insight.

Cosmic consciousness is a personality realization of the interrelatedness of trifold experience: mind, body and spirit which are functionally inter-associated  This requires a recognition of cosmic values and their potential for actualization.  It is a process which begins in the seventh psychic, or cosmic circle and evolves through to the first circle with ever increasing cosmic consciousness.

Reality recognition, innate in the self-consciousness of personality, requires the quest of discovery as a first step.  Once value is discovered, a reaction takes place with cosmic mind gravity, much like a universe handshake, a grasping form of recognition.  The discovery, then recognized, must progress by the interpretation of meaning through experience.  This indicates that the mind has identified a correlation or interrelatedness with other reality experiences.  It is like an interlocking of puzzle pieces, a viola! moment of one’s personal relationship and identification with cosmic reality.

The more meanings and values recognized and chosen, the more potentials made actual, the more conscious one becomes of a trifold relationship with cosmic reality, the Supreme Being.  This involves not only a cosmic mind recognition response, but an integrated personality validation through decision-action derived from cooperation with the triune spiritual forces within the soul (Father, Son and Holy Spirit). Cosmic consciousness grows along with the soul as the personality obtains cosmic insight into value and dares to actualize its meaning through living experience, thereby augmenting the soul’s awareness of its relation and contribution to the cosmos.

TUB
    Participant

Cosmic consciousness is a personality realization of the interrelatedness of trifold experience: mind, body and spirit which are functionally inter-associated  This

I would add that there is a realization not just of the triad of mind, body and spirit, but of the triunity of all reality (matter, mind, spirit) (thing, meaning, value) (physical reality, intellectual reality, spiritual reality).  And a realization that there is a unity (harmony) in all triune reality.

99:4.13 And these three partial approaches to the reality of the cosmos must eventually become harmonized by the revelatory presentation of religion, philosophy, and cosmology which portrays the triune existence of spirit, mind, and energy proceeding from the Trinity of Paradise and attaining time-space unification within the Deity of the Supreme.

101:2.8 Reason is the proof of science, faith the proof of religion, logic the proof of philosophy, but revelation is validated only by human experience. Science yields knowledge; religion yields happiness; philosophy yields unity; revelation confirms the experiential harmony of this triune approach to universal reality

(1209.4) 110:6.4 When the development of the intellectual nature proceeds faster than that of the spiritual, such a situation renders communication with the Thought Adjuster both difficult and dangerous. Likewise, overspiritual development tends to produce a fanatical and perverted interpretation of the spirit leadings of the divine indweller. Lack of spiritual capacity makes it very difficult to transmit to such a material intellect the spiritual truths resident in the higher superconsciousness. It is to the mind of perfect poise, housed in a body of clean habits, stabilized neural energies, and balanced chemical function — when the physical, mental, and spiritual powers are in triune harmony of development — that a maximum of light and truth can be imparted with a minimum of temporal danger or risk to the real welfare of such a being. By such a balanced growth does man ascend the circles of planetary progression one by one, from the seventh to the first.

1261.7) 115:3.3 The primordial stasis of infinity requires segmentation prior to human attempts at comprehension. There is a unity in infinity which has been expressed in these papers as the I AM — the premier postulate of the creature mind. But never can a creature understand how it is that this unity becomes duality, triunity, and diversity while yet remaining an unqualified unity. Man encounters a similar problem when he pauses to contemplate the undivided Deity of Trinity alongside the plural personalization of God.

Nigel Nunn
    Participant

Bonita wrote:

“The cosmic mind is made accessible to personality by the ministration of the Holy Spirit, a personal mind ministry.”

This brought to mind another place where they talk about making something accessible… truth:

(1111.8, 101:6.4) “[…]. Truth is made accessible to the wisdom-endowed individual by the bestowal on such a mind of the spirits of the Father and the Sons, the Thought Adjuster and the Spirit of Truth.”

Looks like these 3 divine conspirers have a plan for helping us team up truth with cosmic consciousness  :-)

Regarding consciousness and truth, these two extracts got me wondering:

(1281.5, 117:3.3) “[…].  And even as he is this living way of ascension from the self to God, so is the Supreme the living way from finite consciousness to transcendence of consciousness, even to the insight of absonity.”

(1111.4, 101:5.14) “Increasingly throughout the morontia progression the assurance of truth replaces the assurance of faith. When you are finally mustered into the actual spirit world, then will the assurances of pure spirit insight operate in the place of faith and truth or, rather, in conjunction with, and superimposed upon, these former techniques of personality assurance.”

transcendence of consciousness“?  Faith and truth as “former techniques…”?

Nigel

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

Let me begin by saying I am in way over my head here, but……

I think the “transcendence of consciousness” is referring to “personal” cognition or discovery and may mean the “collective” insight and wisdom of the Supreme, the repository of the aggregation of all individual mindal realizations becomes accessible to the individual mind.

And I have always thought that faith is but a stepping stone to assurance.  But the last Paper makes me scratch my head I must admit.  Michael has faith.  Why?  His children created without TA must have faith it is true.  But we have Father within and Michael knows Him deeply and personally.  Does not the need and power of faith wane as experience and fusion bring certainty and assurance?  Truth is discovered and lived.  I have no idea how truth becomes a former technique, unless it becomes “known” without discovery and experience?

TUB
    Participant

Regarding consciousness and truth, these two extracts got me wondering:

(1281.5, 117:3.3) “[…].  And even as he is this living way of ascension from the self to God, so is the Supreme the living way from finite consciousness to transcendence of consciousness, even to the insight of absonity.”

I think there is a way to have some initial understanding of this paragraph. The insight of absonity is a philosophical insight that is greater than mota insight. Human philosophy joins up with mota, and mota insight joins up with the insight of absonity. A moral or philosophical consciousness is a consciousness that is cultivating a triune harmony that is like the triune harmony of the cosmos. That triune harmony of the cosmos is the harmony of the Supreme. Through our relation to the Supreme we are experiencing intellectually the way of God in the cosmos, and as sons and daughters of the Father we experiencing the love of God or the will of God. So we have this dual relationship with the Father and the Mother. Of course the Father and the Mother are both the same God, just two different personalizations of Deity.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant
    TUB wrote: I would add that there is a realization not just of the triad of mind, body and spirit, but of the triunity of all reality (matter, mind, spirit) (thing, meaning, value) (physical reality, intellectual reality, spiritual reality).  And a realization that there is a unity (harmony) in all triune reality.
    In writing this book I tried very hard to limit the number of words on each topic.  It’s meant to be simple and concise, therefore I left out all of the other triads.  The reader is supposed to make that connection on their own, or at least start thinking about the connection.
    Body=physical reality=matter=thing=fact=science
    Mind=intellectual reality=idea=meaning=philosophy
    Spirit=spiritual reality=relation=value=religious experience
    Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant
    Bradly wrote:  Michael has faith.  Why?  His children created without TA must have faith it is true.  But we have Father within and Michael knows Him deeply and personally.  Does not the need and power of faith wane as experience and fusion bring certainty and assurance?
    Faith and trust go together as one.  Michael has trust.  Trust never wanes, as love never wanes.

Bradly wrote:  I have no idea how truth becomes a former technique, unless it becomes “known” without discovery and experience?
    Truth becomes a former technique when relativity ceases.  That would be absonity, where relations to time and space no longer exist.
    Reader
    Reader
    Participant

Thank you, Bonita, for allowing us to chew over this topic with you.

Since you say the essay is from a book-in-progress, my comments might be moot, because they largely had to do with added support from related and supplemental revealed concepts which might already be covered in near-by essays.

For example, you are talking about an aspect of Mind which is not strictly an evolutionary planetary growth but a post-evolutionary gift of God, a special endowment requiring the previous evolutionary appearance of pre-human mind (with assists from spirit, of course).

Anyway, if you have not treated this aspect elsewhere in the planned book, I think maybe you could include a paragraph here on the revealed concept of pre-human mind before jumping to cosmic consciousness.

Is the book addressed to Urantia readers chiefly? Because if not, you ought to at least give a nod to other writings on cosmic consciousness, like the old book by Richard Maurice Bucke (1901) at least to differentiate your perspective from his.

-Reader

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant
    Reader wrote: Anyway, if you have not treated this aspect elsewhere in the planned book, I think maybe you could include a paragraph here on the revealed concept of pre-human mind before jumping to cosmic consciousness.
    The book is about the Holy Spirit and her mind ministry.   Cosmic consciousness appears on page 21.  It is preceded by pages on mind ministry, its origin and function. The page on cosmic consciousness is the last page of a section on self-realization which includes 8 previous pages on other levels of consciousness presented in a progressive fashion. This page is the last of the progression.  Actually, spirit consciousness should be the last, but I’m thinking of adding it.

Reader wrote:  Is the book addressed to Urantia readers chiefly?
    Yes.  The title is The Holy Spirit: A Study for Urantia Book Readers
    Reader
    Reader
    Participant

Bonita, sounds like you’ve got the bases covered (and I might have known!).

Nigel Nunn
    Participant

Thanks to Reader for reminding us to be mindful — or at least aware — of the evolutionary highlands upon which the revelators have planted their revelation.

Regarding the interplay of faith and truth, prior to achieving Adjuster < at-one-ment >, that is to say during our timely evolution to perfection as potential subinfinite penetrators, there will always be some “full philosophic limit” beyond which our philosophy-du-jour falls short.  Is it not beyond this domesticated edge that faith is required to power a person to “dare to launch” ?

(1141.5, 103:9.7) Faith most willingly carries reason along as far as reason can go and then goes on with wisdom to the full philosophic limit; and then it dares to launch out upon the limitless and never-ending universe journey in the sole company of TRUTH.

Regarding that “transcendence of consciousness” (1281.5, 117:3.3), since Adjusters hail from up-stream of all cosmic differentiation that might require mediating by some (mind-gravity-responsive) consciousness, upon our < at-one-ment > with them, will our new experience of reality also transcend the need for such mediation?

From paper 107 section 5, “Adjuster Mindedness”:

(1181.4, 107:5.1) “Evolutionary mortals are prone to look upon mind as a cosmic mediation between spirit and matter, for that is indeed the principal ministry of mind as discernible by you. Hence it is quite difficult for humans to perceive that Thought Adjusters have minds, for Adjusters are fragmentations of God on an absolute level of reality which is not only prepersonal but also prior to all energy and spirit divergence. On a monistic level antecedent to energy and spirit differentiation there could be no mediating function of mind, for there are no divergencies to be mediated.”

Nigel

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

Login to reply to this topic.

Not registered? Sign up here.