Angelic Domains of Activity

Home Forums Urantia Book General Discussions Angelic Domains of Activity

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant
    Forum Friends,
    Not sure if this topic has already been discussed, if so, please link me. Confusion persists in my mini-mind about the domains of activities of the angels. The angels have their roots in the God of Mind, the third member of the Paradise Trinity, therefore do I tend to believe the angels’ domain of action is solely in the mind, not the material, but some readers don’t see it that way. This quote sounds like they both are able to manipulate matter:
     …Many of the more literal phenomena ascribed to angels have been performed by the secondary midway creatures. When the early teachers of the gospel of Jesus were thrown into prison by the ignorant religious leaders of that day, an actual “angel of the Lord” “by night opened the prison doors and brought them forth.” But in the case of Peter’s deliverance after the killing of James by Herod’s order, it was a secondary midwayer who performed the work ascribed to an angel…. 77:8.12 (865.5)
    We are told the archangel employed the Midwayers to roll back the stone door of Jesus’ burial chamber:
     …As they made ready to remove the body of Jesus from the tomb preparatory to according it the dignified and reverent disposal of near-instantaneous dissolution, it was assigned the secondary Urantia midwayers to roll away the stones from the entrance of the tomb…. 189:2.4 (2023.3)
    But then:
     …The guardian seraphim are not mind, though they do spring from the same source that also gives origin to mortal mind, the Creative Spirit. Seraphim are mind stimulators; they continually seek to promote circle-making decisions in human mind. They do this, not as does the Adjuster, operating from within and through the soul, but rather from the outside inward, working through the social, ethical, and moral environment of human beings. 113:4.1 (1245.1)
    they can and do so manipulate planetary conditions [what conditions?] and so associate circumstances as favorably to influence the spheres of human activity to which they are attached…. 114:6.18 (1256.8)
    So the question is: Do the angels require the Midwayers to make contact. For instance, if a guardian’s human is in danger, can she act without a Midwayer’s help?

One more on angels acting alone in making physical contact:

.…The impulse of worship largely originates in the spirit promptings of the higher mind adjutants, reinforced by the leadings of the Adjuster. But the urge to pray so often experienced by God-conscious mortals very often arises as the result of seraphic influence. The guarding seraphim is constantly manipulating the mortal environment [but not the physical environment, right?] for the purpose of augmenting the cosmic insight of the human ascender to the end that such a survival candidate may acquire enhanced realization of the presence of the indwelling Adjuster and thus be enabled to yield increased co-operation with the spiritual mission of the divine presence…. 113:4.4 (1245.4)

Is my confusion justified? What have the angels done for you lately? Tuck you in? Save you from yourself? But was it an angel or a midwayer? Does it matter?

Richard E Warren

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

The angels have their roots in the God of Mind, the third member of the Paradise Trinity, therefore do I tend to believe the angels’ domain of action is solely in the mind . . .

Off the cuff, I’m reminded of this quote which says the angels do not invade the mind:

113:5.1  Angels do not invade the sanctity of the human mind; they do not manipulate the will of mortals; neither do they directly contact with the indwelling Adjusters. The guardian of destiny influences you in every possible manner consistent with the dignity of your personality; under no circumstances do these angels interfere with the free action of the human will. Neither angels nor any other order of universe personality have power or authority to curtail or abridge the prerogatives of human choosing.

I don’t know if it’s necessary to invade the mind to affect the mind though.  I’m pretty sure angels are involved with social situations, gathering folks together in order to influence thought and behavior.  Just throwing this out there for now.  Will give deeper consideration to the subject later.

113:4.1 The guardian seraphim are not mind, though they do spring from the same source that also gives origin to mortal mind, the Creative Spirit. Seraphim are mind stimulators; they continually seek to promote circle-making decisions in human mind. They do this, not as does the Adjuster, operating from within and through the soul, but rather from the outside inward, working through the social, ethical, and moral environment of human beings. Seraphim are not the divine Adjuster lure of the Universal Father, but they do function as the personal agency of the ministry of the Infinite Spirit. 

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

Angels….Cool!  Regarding angels or midwayers, remember there are far more angels in number and specific angels already assigned to specific people.  From 2 angels to 1000 people to 2 angels per person (third circlers).  I think midwayers have tasks more specific to planetary service than personal service….but just an opinion.

I do think angels open and close doors and create intersections of choice for us.  We walk a maze created by angels that delivers us to points of choice and decision that are not accidental but are intentional and planned.  I think we can push on into the hedge row rather than take the turn or open way but as we gain experiential sensitivity (?) we more easily and readily follow the path opened before us.

When I think of the situations and circumstances and relationships of life that lead to all the intersections of decision and choice, I think of the angels and their work to guide us through the lessons and the vicissitudes and I think of the hammer and the anvil.

113:4.3 (1245.3) Seraphim function as teachers of men by guiding the footsteps of the human personality into paths of new and progressive experiences. To accept the guidance of a seraphim rarely means attaining a life of ease. In following this leading you are sure to encounter, and if you have the courage, to traverse, the rugged hills of moral choosing and spiritual progress.

113:5.4 (1246.3) In the life of the flesh the intelligence of angels is not directly available to mortal men. They are not overlords or directors; they are simply guardians. The seraphim guard you; they do not seek directly to influence you; you must chart your own course, but these angels then act to make the best possible use of the course you have chosen. They do not (ordinarily) arbitrarily intervene in the routine affairs of human life. But when they receive instructions from their superiors to perform some unusual exploit, you may rest assured that these guardians will find some means of carrying out these mandates. They do not, therefore, intrude into the picture of human drama except in emergencies and then usually on the direct orders of their superiors. They are the beings who are going to follow you for many an age, and they are thus receiving an introduction to their future work and personality association.

113:5.5 (1246.4) Seraphim are able to function as material ministers to human beings under certain circumstances, but their action in this capacity is very rare. They are able, with the assistance of the midway creatures and the physical controllers, to function in a wide range of activities in behalf of human beings, even to make actual contact with mankind, but such occurrences are very unusual. In most instances the circumstances of the material realm proceed unaltered by seraphic action, although occasions have arisen, involving jeopardy to vital links in the chain of human evolution, in which seraphic guardians have acted, and properly, on their own initiative.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

I think we can push on into the hedge row rather than take the turn or open way but as we gain experiential sensitivity (?) we more easily and readily follow the path opened before us.

Don’t you think the angels might sometimes want you to push on into the hedge row?  They’re not here to make our lives easier, but to challenge us.

113:4.3 Seraphim function as teachers of men by guiding the footsteps of the human personality into paths of new and progressive experiences. To accept the guidance of a seraphim rarely means attaining a life of ease. In following this leading you are sure to encounter, and if you have the courage, to traverse, the rugged hills of moral choosing and spiritual progress. 

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

I think the angels welcome all repercussions of choice for the opportunities provided for experiential wisdom and response adjustments.   No matter the choices made by us or the results and consequences of those choices, they seek only a progressive education that leads to survival and growth responses and decisions.

Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant
    Thanks much for the thoughtful replies, Bonita, Bradly.

Off the cuff, I’m reminded of this quote which says the angels do not invade the mind:

113:5.1 Angels do not invade the sanctity of the human mind; they do not manipulate the will of mortals; neither do they directly contact with the indwelling Adjusters. The guardian of destiny influences you in every possible manner consistent with the dignity of your personality; under no circumstances do these angels interfere with the free action of the human will. Neither angels nor any other order of universe personality have power or authority to curtail or abridge the prerogatives of human choosing.

I don’t know if it’s necessary to invade the mind to affect the mind though…

Agreed, it’s not an invasion and we aren’t permanently indwelt, as with the Adjuster, but the angels and the Spirit of Truth are in our heads, and they are influential. But, to what degree the angels can and may manipulate the physical environment is my question.

…Regarding angels or midwayers, remember there are far more angels in number and specific angels already assigned to specific people. From 2 angels to 1000 people to 2 angels per person (third circlers). I think midwayers have tasks more specific to planetary service than personal service….but just an opinion.

That’s an interesting point, one I too have pondered. With only 1,111 secondary Midwayers on the planet, they have to be spread quite thin over 8 billion humans.

This quote makes it sound like the Primary Midwayers aren’t that material, and one might extrapolate from that fact the angels would find it even harder to make contact with the physical:

…The 1,111 loyal secondary midwayers are engaged in important missions on earth. As compared with their primary associates, they are decidedly material. They exist just outside the range of mortal vision and possess sufficient latitude of adaptation to make, at will, physical contact with what humans call “material things.” These unique creatures have certain definite powers over the things of time and space, not excepting the beasts of the realm…. 77:8.11(865.4)

Richard E Warren

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

Agreed, it’s not an invasion and we aren’t permanently indwelt, as with the Adjuster, but the angels and the Spirit of Truth are in our heads, and they are influential. But, to what degree the angels can and may manipulate the physical environment is my question.

I don’t agree. I don’t think the angels are in our heads.  They work from outside the head.

113:4.1 The guardian seraphim are not mind, though they do spring from the same source that also gives origin to mortal mind, the Creative Spirit. Seraphim are mind stimulators; they continually seek to promote circle-making decisions in human mind. They do this, not as does the Adjuster, operating from within and through the soul, but rather from the outside inward, working through the social, ethical, and moral environment of human beings. Seraphim are not the divine Adjuster lure of the Universal Father, but they do function as the personal agency of the ministry of the Infinite Spirit.

I don’t think the angels manipulate the physical environment either, except in very rare instances when they’re directed to from higher up the chain.  The angels manipulate the social environment.  How they do this is somewhat of a mystery, but it seems there is some coordination with Thought Adjusters, despite the fact that they are not in direct contact with one another.  Recall the donors to the Prince’s staff were summoned by their Adjusters through seraphic guidance.  I’m guessing that manipulation of the social environment in order to form certain social groups occurs by angelic-Adjuster coordination.

66:2.7 Accordingly, fifty males and fifty females of the Andon and Fonta posterity, representing the survival of the best strains of that unique race, were chosen by the Life Carriers. With one or two exceptions these Andonite contributors to the advancement of the race were strangers to one another. They were assembled from widely separated places by co-ordinated Thought Adjuster direction and seraphic guidance at the threshold of the planetary headquarters of the Prince. Here the one

113:4.5 While there is apparently no communication between the indwelling Adjusters and the encompassing seraphim, they always seem to work in perfect harmony and exquisite accord. The guardians are most active at those times when the Adjusters are least active, but their ministry is in some manner strangely correlated. Such superb co-operation could hardly be either accidental or incidental. 

There are lengthy descriptions of all the various groups of angels ministering on this planet, and most of their responsibilities seem to do with the social and moral environment. Other duties have to do with recording and transporting, etc..  The angels are spirit ministers, not physical ministers, which is the job of Physical Controllers.  So it’s no wonder that third circlers get their very own pair of angels.  There is more work to be done by them if the personality is cooperating with its Adjuster and nearing the point of actual communication with him.  It makes total sense.

Mark
    Mark
    Participant

Great discussion. I would agree with others that the angels work to create situations that force us to make moral decisions. I believe such situations can appear minor, such as a teller giving back too much change, or seeing someone who is having trouble getting across a street.

“I tell you that, even when a cup of cold water is given to a thirsty soul, the Father’s messengers shall ever make record of such a service of love.” 159.2

But I don’t think the angels actually guard us in the physical sense, otherwise we would all live to a ripe old age. It’s more likely they’re guarding the development of our souls for the upcoming morontia life.

Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant

I don’t agree. I don’t think the angels are in our heads. They work from outside the head.

I don’t think the angels manipulate the physical environment either, except in very rare instances when they’re directed to from higher up the chain. The angels manipulate the social environment. How they do this is somewhat of a mystery, but it seems there is some coordination with Thought Adjusters, despite the fact that they are not in direct contact with one another. Recall the donors to the Prince’s staff were summoned by their Adjusters through seraphic guidance. I’m guessing that manipulation of the social environment in order to form certain social groups occurs by angelic-Adjuster coordination.

66:2.7 Accordingly, fifty males and fifty females of the Andon and Fonta posterity, representing the survival of the best strains of that unique race, were chosen by the Life Carriers. With one or two exceptions these Andonite contributors to the advancement of the race were strangers to one another. They were assembled from widely separated places by co-ordinated Thought Adjuster direction and seraphic guidance at the threshold of the planetary headquarters of the Prince. Here the one

113:4.5 While there is apparently no communication between the indwelling Adjusters and the encompassing seraphim, they always seem to work in perfect harmony and exquisite accord. The guardians are most active at those times when the Adjusters are least active, but their ministry is in some manner strangely correlated. Such superb co-operation could hardly be either accidental or incidental.

There are lengthy descriptions of all the various groups of angels ministering on this planet, and most of their responsibilities seem to do with the social and moral environment. Other duties have to do with recording and transporting, etc.. The angels are spirit ministers, not physical ministers, which is the job of Physical Controllers. So it’s no wonder that third circlers get their very own pair of angels. There is more work to be done by them if the personality is cooperating with its Adjuster and nearing the point of actual communication with him. It makes total sense.

But if the angels aren’t working in our heads and minds, how can they produce these urges? And there is no physical social machine or institution, they have to minister to us thru the only means they know and have access to, mind ministry.

…the urge to pray so often experienced by God-conscious mortals very often arises as the result of seraphic influence…. 113:4.4 (1245.4)

And what about their ability spread ideas, focus minds, and advance worthy works? Pretty sure don’t do it by email… Maybe they have smail–spiritmail. They have to be in our heads to do that.
    …The master seraphim of planetary supervision utilize many agencies for the prosecution of their missions. They function as ideational clearinghouses, mind focalizers, and project promoters. While unable to inject new and higher conceptions into human minds, they often act to intensify some higher ideal which has already appeared within a human intellect…. 114:6.19 (1256.9)

Richard E Warren

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

The angels have their roots in the God of Mind, the third member of the Paradise Trinity, therefore do I tend to believe the angels’ domain of action is solely in the mind . . .

113:5.1 Angels do not invade the sanctity of the human mind; they do not manipulate the will of mortals; neither do they directly contact with the indwelling Adjusters. The guardian of destiny influences you in every possible manner consistent with the dignity of your personality; under no circumstances do these angels interfere with the free action of the human will. Neither angels nor any other order of universe personality have power or authority to curtail or abridge the prerogatives of human choosing.

I don’t know if it’s necessary to invade the mind to affect the mind though. I’m pretty sure angels are involved with social situations, gathering folks together in order to influence thought and behavior. Just throwing this out there for now. Will give deeper consideration to the subject later.

Angels obviously do work within the mind…without “invading” it.  Paper 39 also tells us the seraphim work in the minds of mortals where it describes the planetary ministry of the Planetary Helpers.  Social change is also a function of the angelic corps.  But it appears they often affect such change by mind ministry.  Evidently there are methods for affecting mind and its reactions and proclivities without violating free will.

39:5.6 (437.5) In the more advanced epochs of planetary evolution these seraphim are instrumental in supplanting the atonement idea by the concept of divine attunement as a philosophy of mortal survival.

39:5.7 (437.6) 4. The Spirits of Trust. Suspicion is the inherent reaction of primitive men; the survival struggles of the early ages do not naturally breed trust. Trust is a new human acquisition brought about by the ministry of these planetary seraphim of the Adamic regime. It is their mission to inculcate trust into the minds of evolving men. The Gods are very trustful; the Universal Father is willing freely to trust himself—the Adjuster—to man’s association.

I do also think they can manipulate the material (mortal) environment in ways which may require a personal choice or act on the part of one or more people which slightly adjusts tempo or timing of events and changes the points of intersections of time and space.  Have you ever been “delayed” or taken a left instead of a right and avoided some calamity or tragedy?  Have you ever had an instinct or feeling you ignored and stepped into something you might have avoided?  I do think guardians “guard”…they just cannot anticipate or manage all situations to prevent accidents and for all I know they may cause accidents.  Heard the one about the farmer and his horse and son?  Good luck can be bad and bad luck can be good!

Are such thoughts merely remnants of superstitious luck beliefs?  I don’t think so.  Or the assignment of angelic interference and action to mere coincidence?  Perhaps.  But we are told directly that they “guide the footsteps of personality”.

113:3.5 (1244.6) On the spiritual level, seraphim make personal many otherwise impersonal and prepersonal ministries of the universe; they are co-ordinators. On the intellectual level they are the correlators of mind and morontia; they are interpreters. And on the physical level they manipulate terrestrial environment through their liaison with the Master Physical Controllers and through the co-operative ministry of the midway creatures.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

But if the angels aren’t working in our heads and minds, how can they produce these urges? And there is no physical social machine or institution, they have to minister to us thru the only means they know and have access to, mind ministry.

Somehow the Adjusters must work with the angels and the Adjusters live in our heads and it’s they who influence our thoughts, (as do the Spirit of Truth and the Holy Spirit).   Seraphic guidance has more to do with external circumstances.  Angels have actually spoken to people, without being seen or doing anything considered physical, and that voice would appear to come from outside the head rather than inside the head as I understand it.

This is my working theory which is subject to evolution, but I think that the angels can influence adjutant circuits in general, being that they are essentially not limited to strictly individualized internal functions, meaning they encircuit the entire planet.  The adjutant of worship for instance – as you mentioned, we’re told that the urge to pray comes from seraphic guidance which originates in the mind as an impulse from the adjutant of worship reinforced by the Adjuster.  The angel does this by manipulating the mortal environment.  What part of the environment gets manipulated?  The external adjutant environment?  I don’t know, but I do know that the most important thing angels do is coordinate impersonal influences, which I think the adjutants qualify as.  How that happens I couldn’t say, I’m just playing with that idea.

113:4.4 The impulse of worship largely originates in the spirit promptings of the higher mind adjutants, reinforced by the leadings of the Adjuster. But the urge to pray so often experienced by God-conscious mortals very often arises as the result of seraphic influence. The guarding seraphim is constantly manipulating the mortal environment for the purpose of augmenting the cosmic insight of the human ascender to the end that such a survival candidate may acquire enhanced realization of the presence of the indwelling Adjuster and thus be enabled to yield increased co-operation with the spiritual mission of the divine presence. 

113:3.1  One of the most important things a destiny guardian does for her mortal subject is to effect a personal co-ordination of the numerous impersonal spirit influences which indwell, surround, and impinge upon the mind and soul of the evolving material creature. Human beings are personalities, and it is exceedingly difficult for nonpersonal spirits and prepersonal entities to make direct contact with such highly material and discretely personal minds. In the ministry of the guarding angel all of these influences are more or less unified and made more nearly appreciable by the expanding moral nature of the evolving human personality.

Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant

Angels obviously do work within the mind…without “invading” it.

That’s my understanding too, Bradly. And thanks for this insightful quote on angelic action, suggesting work on spiritual, intellectual and material levels. BUT they need another order of being to “manipulate” physical objects.

…On the spiritual level, seraphim make personal many otherwise impersonal and prepersonal ministries of the universe; they are co-ordinators. On the intellectual level they are the correlators of mind and morontia; they are interpreters. And on the physical level they manipulate terrestrial environment through their liaison with the Master Physical Controllers and through the co-operative ministry of the midway creatures.

Richard E Warren

Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant

Somehow the Adjusters must work with the angels and the Adjusters live in our heads and it’s they who influence our thoughts, (as do the Spirit of Truth and the Holy Spirit). Seraphic guidance has more to do with external circumstances. Angels have actually spoken to people, without being seen or doing anything considered physical, and that voice would appear to come from outside the head rather than inside the head as I understand it. This is my working theory which is subject to evolution, but I think that the angels can influence adjutant circuits in general, being that they are essentially not limited to strictly individualized internal functions, meaning they encircuit the entire planet. The adjutant of worship for instance – as you mentioned, we’re told that the urge to pray comes from seraphic guidance which originates in the mind as an impulse from the adjutant of worship reinforced by the Adjuster.

Thanks for so clearly presenting the facts as you understand them, and the frank admission of the evolution of your thinking on the subject (as is mine). It appears we pretty much agree, but I do have trouble accepting that Adjutant MIND spirits, tho they be impersonal, are material in the physical sense, or in any manner function outside the realm of mind. Even angels require Controllers or Midwayers to act on the physical.

…And on the physical level they manipulate terrestrial environment through their liaison with the Master Physical Controllers and through the co-operative ministry of the midway creatures.

Bonita wrote:

The angel does this by manipulating the mortal environment. What part of the environment gets manipulated? The external adjutant environment? I don’t know, but I do know that the most important thing angels do is coordinate impersonal influences, which I think the adjutants qualify as. How that happens I couldn’t say, I’m just playing with that idea.

The idea that mind can be considered material, that it has material aspects, does serve to reconcile my angelic angst. It is mentioned as such more than once, in fact scores of mentions:

…Material mind is the arena in which human personalities live, are self-conscious, make decisions, choose God or forsake him, eternalize or destroy themselves…. 111:1.3 (1216.4)

Richard E Warren

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

I agree, the idea of a material mind is very confusing.  First of all the material mind is not physical its mindal (which isn’t even a real word but I like to use it), and mind is an entirely separate level of reality.  So I’ve come to regard this issue of the material mind as the mindal reality that interfaces with the physical.  This is why I keep insisting that the basic mind ministry to every cell in the body, and particularly those that make up the nervous system, is the mind ministry of the Physical Controllers.  I think they are the necessary foundation which allows mind ministry to make contact with physical reality.  That way it works that mind ministers to mind.

When the adjutants aren’t contacting a physical interface, they are still in a circuit somewhere outside of it, at least that’s how I see it in my imagination.  I’m guessing angels have access to that somehow. Don’t know how.  But if you think about the difficulty the first adjutant had contacting physical material, you have to wonder where was it doing this from? Certainly from outside of the physical organism, I would think.  So in my cartoon depiction of this I see the adjutants as some kind of mind-energy field, energy that doesn’t respond to physical gravity but to  mind gravity.  But maybe I’ve been watching too much TV.

Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant

I agree, the idea of a material mind is very confusing. First of all the material mind is not physical its mindal (which isn’t even a real word but I like to use it), and mind is an entirely separate level of reality. So I’ve come to regard this issue of the material mind as the mindal reality that interfaces with the physical. This is why I keep insisting that the basic mind ministry to every cell in the body, and particularly those that make up the nervous system, is the mind ministry of the Physical Controllers. I think they are the necessary foundation which allows mind ministry to make contact with physical reality. That way it works that mind ministers to mind. When the adjutants aren’t contacting a physical interface, they are still in a circuit somewhere outside of it, at least that’s how I see it in my imagination. I’m guessing angels have access to that somehow. Don’t know how. But if you think about the difficulty the first adjutant had contacting physical material, you have to wonder where was it doing this from? Certainly from outside of the physical organism, I would think. So in my cartoon depiction of this I see the adjutants as some kind of mind-energy field, energy that doesn’t respond to physical gravity but to mind gravity. But maybe I’ve been watching too much TV.

No, no, I like it… My mind works well on the cartoon level. I must be about eight years old spiritually. Thanks for sharing your unique and fascinating thoughtwork (also not a word that should be) on the topic. My question about angelic domains of action is still largely unanswered. I’m being nagged on in response to some pesky internal curiosity about the machinery of mind. There’s an engineer in my genes/jeans.

Richard E Warren

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

Login to reply to this topic.

Not registered? Sign up here.