adjuster thoughts

Home Forums Urantia Book General Discussions adjuster thoughts

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Gene
    Participant

Have not thought much about this before but:

Why so many different words or phrases are used to describe the same entity- our Adjusters?

Examples: spirit monitor, divine adjuster, mystery adjuster, indwelling spirit, thought adjuster, Paradise thought adjuster, from paper 93:2.7. – mel’ monitor of time and mentor of flesh.

monitor, fragment of god, spirit monitor,

From paper 107:1.07 :On the evolutionary worlds, will creatures traverse three general develop- mental stages of being: From the arrival of the Adjuster to comparative full growth, about twenty years of age on Urantia, the Monitors are sometimes designated Thought Changers. From this time to the attainment of the age of discretion, about forty years, the Mystery Monitors are called Thought Ad- justers. From the attainment of discretion to deliverance from the flesh, they are often referred to as Thought Controllers. These three phases of mortal life have no connection with the three stages of Adjuster progress in mind duplica- tion and soul evolution

Above is an example of how context is used with thought changer, thought adjuster and thought controller.

then there is: divine controller, divine presence, indwelling Adjuster, indwelling spirit Adjuster.

surely these are not synonyms that the authors used just to be colorful. I believe that every different use of the various references to adjusters has context and meaning specific to the topic.

the one example above from paper 107:1.07 confirms my idea more clearly than others.

why refer to adjusters as mystery monitors? I can take a Webster’s definition for monitor to mean maybe “warning”??

an example of a warning from paper 134:9.3 (clipped) He looked upon the doings of this day as a travesty upon the facts of divine justice and the truths of infinite mercy. He burned to give vent to the declaration of the real truth about his Father’s loving character and merciful conduct in the universe, but his faith- ful Monitor admonished him that his hour had not yet come.

(and that’s a different one too: Faith-ful monitor)

and the mystery reference, Webster has a good one and I’ll take it but there is much in the revelation about mystery cults. Is mystery monitor more of a double warning in context? Probably a stretch.

More ways for me to learn how to interpret the revelation.

Cole
    Cole
    Participant

I don’t know why there are so many appellations but personally, I never did like the most commonly used term: Thought Adjuster.  It seems to connote mind control that could abrogate free will and I think some new readers might feel the same.

I do like some of the terms you mentioned such as divine presence, father fragment, indwelling spirit, spirit guide or similar.

But overall, this issue does not greatly trouble me. I have more concern with some of the racial language of the book.

Gene
    Participant

I don’t know why there are so many appellations but personally, I never did like the most commonly used term: Thought Adjuster. It seems to connote mind control that could abrogate free will and I think some new readers might feel the same. I do like some of the terms you mentioned such as divine presence, father fragment, indwelling spirit, spirit guide or similar. But overall, this issue does not greatly trouble me. I have more concern with some of the racial language of the book.

interesting comments.

i have always related to the thought adjuster as the divine guide that helps adjust my mind toward spiritual growth coincident with my efforts to exercise my God given free will do Gods will, never had a problem with that one. Adjustment don’t happen against our will to choose and this mind atunement or adjustment is direct from infinite perfection-a source that should be trusted, adjustment to reality. Letting go of erroneous beliefs tends to be part of the adjustment in my experience.

For any of the terms used to describe the Adjusters I think it wise to read and interpret the associated paper to really get the message and context of the intended use of terms in the revelation. The authors are very precise and technical with wording.

i don’t have any issues at all with the way the authors present racial issues. My experience with this is with those people that I have had discussions with about race who tend to look for equality where equality don’t exist anywhere in the universe and the idea of superior/inferior is upsetting. Something I really don’t understand.

but that’s fodder for a different topic.

what do you think about my warning example in relation to faith-ful monitor?  A bit different than an adjustment???

Cole
    Cole
    Participant

Merriam Webster defines ‘monitor’:

1. An instrument or device used for observing, checking or keeping a continuous record of a process or quantity
    2. a student with disciplinary or other special duties during school hours
    3. or…as a verb….observe and check progress or quality of something over a period of time; keep under systematic review

And ‘adjust’…(paraphrased):

1. to adjust or change the way you think or behave

I think you probably have a point here.  It appears that (faithful) monitor might better fit the application in the situation referenced.  As you suggest, I think that the writers might have been sensitive to the language used in this situation (or many others) for the TA.  Personally, I like something that states or implies spirit guide, advisor, mentor, counselor, etc..  But then again, they usually chose adjuster and thus I would have to defer.  BTW, and you probably know, orthodox Christians do not like the term ‘spirit guide’,  a term often used within various realms of New Age philosophy…not that I really care….but it is an item of contention.

Yes, I think the race thing is worth another discussion topic.  I basically agree with what you stated but just question some of the…what I deem…”less than diplomatic” verbiage in the Book.

Mark606
    Participant

I believe the many different names given to the TAs is similar in intent to the many different names of God used in the book. Each name of God seems to convey a concept of our Father from a slightly different angle. The name of Universal Controller, for example, seems to pertain to God on the energy and space-time levels of existence, while ones like Father are used in a personality context.

Perhaps this also applies to the names of the TA, of which I have counted 17 so far. I admit that the term “Thought Adjuster” is not the most endearing moniker for me either. Of all the names given, I prefer either “Spirit Within” or “Father’s Spirit,” of which the latter is most often used by Jesus.

Gene
    Participant

In regard to the use of the term “Thought Adjuster”

ill defer to this familiar statement from the beginning of the forward: It is exceedingly difficult to present enlarged concepts and advanced truth, in our endeavor to expand cosmic consciousness and enhance spiritual percep- tion, when we are restricted to the use of a circumscribed language of the realm. But our mandate admonishes us to make every effort to convey our meanings by using the word symbols of the English tongue. We have been instructed to intro- duce new terms only when the concept to be portrayed finds no terminology in English which can be employed to convey such a new concept partially or even with more or less distortion of meaning

so here’s my idea- Thought Adjuster is a new term and above and beyond other terms used to describe the same entity let’s say this new term is a bit catchy, it tends to get your attention. Maybe there is a reason for this?? From here I’ll imagine the authors intent could be to do just that; get your attention. The result being what we tend to observe- some people will put the book down and not go back to it because it cannot be accepted and conflicts with existing erroneous beliefs while others will dig into the revelation because they are truth seekers and their curiousity has been aroused and attempt by study effort to find out what the authors really intended to reveal to us. The authors are very clever.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

I really like the name “Thought Adjuster”.  He’s always busy adjusting my attitude, struggling to keep it facing the right direction and urging me to stay open to the call of the universe. Can’t hear the call without adjusting the antenna.  People tend to think backwards on this planet, they’re tuned to the wrong frequency. So, how else would you describe what he does? Thought Turner-Arounder?  Thought Re-Director? Attitude Re-Orientor? Frequency Re-Tuner?  And he does this in what seems like mysterious ways only because our heads are screwed on backwards.  Once they’re turned around it’s not all that mysterious really, it’s reality. Strange that we have to think of the most real part of ourselves as a mystery, but man does love adventure, so maybe that’s why. Nah, what am I saying?  Most people resist being redirected and reoriented.  I’m afraid very few are enticed by that little voice in the head enough to actively seek it out. Many find it to be a nuisance and instead embrace humanistic thought adjustment.  Sad and surreptitiously self-centered.

Don’t they tell us somewhere in the text that they struggled to come up with a term to describe what God does in our head?  I think they settled on “Thought Adjuster” knowing it was not ideal.  I’ll have to find that quote when I have more time.  Happy New Year everyone!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Login to reply to this topic.

Not registered? Sign up here.