Abraham’s Celestial Visitation on the Plain of Mamre

Home Forums Urantia Book General Discussions Abraham’s Celestial Visitation on the Plain of Mamre

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant

Abraham was crucial to the success of Melchizedek’s mission. Apparently the celestials wanted to impress him regarding the importance of his covenant with God, so Abraham received a divine visitation.

From Paper 93:

…It was following this real and public surrender of his personal ambitions in behalf of the larger plans of Melchizedek that the three celestial beings appeared to him on the plains of Mamre…. 93:6.7 (1021.3)

In my novel about Melchizedek and Abraham I tried to imagine how that unfolded:

…The day after the formal acceptance of the covenant, Abraham left for Hebron, with Sarah and baby Isaac, to speak with his generals about turning his army into a defensive force only. As they neared Hebron, on the Plain of Mamre, there stood a mighty oak. Abraham was drawn to it. He halted the caravan then walked to the tree and sat under its shade on a low boulder. The warm breeze stirred his mind; he began thinking about the decision to give up territorial conquest in favor of the spiritual requirements of the covenant.

As these thoughts played in his mind, a vision came into focus. There, before him, three beings appeared, all bathed in celestial light. Abraham was taken aback for a moment, then somehow felt assurance there was nothing to fear.

One of them spoke in kindly voice, “Abraham, we appear on behalf of Melchizedek, to confirm that he is a Son of God to whom you should give heed. He is indeed a teacher of truth who prepares the way for another and greater teacher. Know also the covenant you made with God is of record on high. Keep it always. And teach your children to keep it.”

Abraham watched, unable to speak. Just as he found his tongue, the light dimmed and the three vanished. “Wait, I want…” But they were gone.

He remained sitting a long while, thinking of the meaning of this appearance and praying to know he was not mad or seeing things that were not real.

Finally, Sarah asked Abram’s captain to see if her husband was all right. He approached and asked, “What goes, sir? Are you well?”

Abraham’s face shined with assurance; he now had another reason to believe Machiventa and solidify his role as the sage’s disciple. Heaven had sent messengers to confirm that he was following the right path, and the right teacher. “I am very well, captain. Let us be about the work of the Most High.”

This encounter under the oak tree provided Abraham with irrefutable superhuman authentication that Melchizedek was a teacher having divine authority, a leader he should trust and follow. He now felt certain that if he would uphold the covenant, Melchizedek’s promise that he would become the father of many nations would be kept. This celestial appearance reinforced Abraham’s resolve ever to be about Machiventa’s, and God’s, mission. And the memory of it helped in recovering from the shock of Melchizedek’s sudden disappearance not long thereafter.

Abraham and Sarah returned to Salem the next week. He told Machiventa about meeting the celestials on the Plain of Mamre, to which the sage replied simply, “I know, Abraham.”

Richard E Warren

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

Login to reply to this topic.

Not registered? Sign up here.