2018 International Study Day

Home Forums Online Urantia Book Study Groups International Study Days 2018 International Study Day

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 103 total)
  • Author
    wentworth
    Participant

Hi Bonita

O well–maybe someone else may be interested.

Your contribution to the forum is remarkable.  I know Nigel very much appreciates it.

Nigel Nunn
    Participant

Bonita wrote:

“Correct me if I’m wrong. Are you saying that all seven adjutants are part of the Holy Spirit?”

Hi Bonita, as you might see more clearly in the little pic above ( see post-30731 ) I’m trying to indicate how the adjutants are “a level of consciousness” ( 36:5.4 ) of the Divine Minister, while the Holy Spirit (another “level of her consciousness”?) engages that personal ministry you have described so well.

With regard to the mapping of animal energy systems, I had in mind not the physics of the biochemistry, but simply someone sketching what they can see. In which case those traditional maps (used and refined for thousands of years) are just like the charts of a skeleton in a doctor’s office. Whether or not they reflect anything real, that’s another question   :-)

Getting back to what the Life Carriers achieved with the Sangik family, I wrote:

Given the genetic similarity of all the Sangik siblings, whatever it is that distinguished these original homo-sapiens, it must have been almost “non-material”.

Sorry not to have been more clear. What I meant to ask was “what distinguished these 19 siblings from each other” (not from their ancestors). Recall that on normal worlds, the colored races are said to appear one by one, leaving room for significant genetic variation.  But on Urantia the Life Carriers not only fostered the early appearance of human will (in a pre-colored hominid) but also the appearance of all six colored specializations… from a single mother !

Thus — apart from some trivial difference in a few alleles for skin pigments — the material foundation (DNA) shared by those 19 siblings (brain, neurochemistry, etc.) must have been effectively identical.  So if I might ask again, what do you think may have distinguished these 19 siblings… from each other?

As I tried to indicate in that paper, my guess is… some inherent differential in adjutant attunement. Thoughts?

Also, you wrote:

“In a nutshell, I think the “interface” is between mind and life itself.

Care to elaborate?

thanks!

Nigel

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

Hi Bonita, as you might see more clearly in the little pic above ( see post-30731 ) I’m trying to indicate how the adjutants are “a level of consciousness” ( 36:5.4 ) of the Divine Minister, while the Holy Spirit (another “level of her consciousness”?) engages that personal ministry you have described so well.

The Holy Spirit does not engage all seven of the adjutants, if that’s what you’re saying.  She overlaps only the two higher adjutants.  Once the spirit of wisdom functions, the other adjutants line up and unify under it’s direction.

In the following quotes it is explained that the spirit of wisdom directs the united function of all seven of the adjutants toward higher channels.

1210:08 110.6.13   The seventh circle. This level is entered when human beings develop the powers of personal choice, individual decision, moral responsibility, and the capacity for the attainment of spiritual individuality. This signifies the united function of the seven adjutant mind-spirits under the direction of the spirit of wisdom, the encircuitment of the mortal creature in the influence of the Holy Spirit, and, on Urantia, the first functioning of the Spirit of Truth, together with the reception of a Thought Adjuster in the mortal mind. Entrance upon the seventh circle constitutes a mortal creature a truly potential citizen of the local universe.

92:02-3  The adjutant of worship — the appearance in animal consciousness of superanimal potentials for reality perception. This might be termed the primordial human instinct for Deity.  The adjutant of wisdom — the manifestation in a worshipful mind of the tendency to direct its adoration in higher channels of expression and toward ever-expanding concepts of Deity reality.

The quote below explains that only the two higher adjutants cross the threshold of the spiritual ministry of the Holy Spirit.

(379.3) 34:5.3 Mortal man first experiences the ministry of the Spirit in conjunction with mind when the purely animal mind of evolutionary creatures develops reception capacity for the adjutants of worship and of wisdom. This ministry of the sixth and seventh adjutants indicates mind evolution crossing the threshold of spiritual ministry. And immediately are such minds of worship- and wisdom-function included in the spiritual circuits of the Divine Minister.

Below we are informed that the Holy Spirit is confined to the Creative Spirit’s spiritual realm.  The adjutants are part of the Creative Spirit’s material realm.  Because of overlapping mind ministry, only the top two material adjutants are superimposed upon by the spiritual Holy Spirit. They are the transition between the material and morontia level of ministry.

8:5.3 The Holy Spirit is the spiritual circuit of this Creative Daughter of the Paradise Infinite Spirit. The Holy Spirit is a circuit indigenous to each local universe and is confined to the spiritual realm of that creation; but the Infinite Spirit is omnipresent.

Note in the quote below that the adjutants are part of the consciousness of the Creative Spirit, not part of the consciousness of the Holy Spirit. I can’t stress enough how important it is to distinguish between the two.  The Creative Spirit is not a synonym for the Holy Spirit, just like the Creator Son is not a synonym for the Spirit of Truth.

117:5.10The mind-experience accumulations of the seven adjutant mind-spirits, in their ministry to the physical level of intellect, are a part of the local universe experience of the Divine Minister, and through this Creative Spirit they probably find registry in the mind of Supremacy.

More evidence appears in the quote below where we are reminded that the adjutants are not directly related to the Holy Spirit.  They are indirectly related by her overlap with the spirits of worship and wisdom with the spirit of wisdom representing the united and spirit-directionized function of all the others.

36:5.16   The adjutant mind-spirits are in no manner directly related to the diverse and highly spiritual function of the spirit of the personal presence of the Divine Minister, the Holy Spirit of the inhabited worlds; but they are functionally antecedent to, and preparatory for, the appearance of this very spirit in evolutionary man. The adjutants afford the Universe Mother Spirit a varied contact with, and control over, the material living creatures of a local universe, but they do not repercuss in the Supreme Being when acting on prepersonality levels.

Here is more evidence for the need of all seven adjutants to be coordinated, integrated and directionized before the arrival of the Holy Spirit and Adjusters:

108:2.2   The Adjusters cannot invade the mortal mind until it has been duly prepared by the indwelling ministry of the adjutant mind-spirits and encircuited in the Holy Spirit. And it requires the co-ordinate function of all seven adjutants to thus qualify the human mind for the reception of an Adjuster. Creature mind must exhibit the worship outreach and indicate wisdom function by exhibiting the ability to choose between the emerging values of good and evil — moral choice.

To be more accurate, you might redraw the adjutants in a vertical line rather than a horizontal line, with only the top two adjutants overlapping the Holy Spirit.  If a person is utilizing the spirit of wisdom to access his/her soul, all his/her other adjutant influences will be coordinated, integrated, consolidated and completely copacetic.  And the only way to access the spirit of wisdom is through the spirit of worship.

(402.8) 36:5.11 6. The spirit of worship — the religious impulse, the first differential urge separating mind creatures into the two basic classes of mortal existence. The spirit of worship forever distinguishes the animal of its association from the soulless creatures of mind endowment. Worship is the badge of spiritual-ascension candidacy.

I also don’t understand your drawing in regards to the Holy Spirit and Spirit of Truth.  In the diagram they look like entirely separate circuits.  What is the blue inner circle with the baby in it?  What are the three concentric circles surrounding the giant blue hair follicle?  What is that follicle supposed to represent?  Do babies have Adjusters?  It’s all truly confusing to me.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

So if I might ask again, what do you think may have distinguished these 19 siblings… from each other?

My answer is the same: brain capacity. This includes all the various components of not only the physical structure of the brain but also the biochemical and hormonal influences which are initiated within the brain and affect both the body directly, and the mind indirectly, in its relation to both the outer and inner environment.

Although the overall genome of all 19 siblings had a high level of overlap, it only takes a change in a few alleles to markedly alter expression. Don’t forget the role of transposons to alter DNA in response to external stress, the many on-off switches in the genome and the ability of hormones to cause selective cell growth. The section of DNA regulating melatonin undoubtedly affects more than just hormonal function. Don’t forget that melatonin is more than just a skin color determiner. It’s involved in circadian rhythms, sex urges, the immune system, and the aging process among others.  Moreover, skin color involves many different genes. There are over 378 different gene loci affecting skin color. Finally, recall that both imagination and spirit receptivity (not adjutant receptivity), involve pituitary gland function, aka, hormones. We know that ultraviolet light affected the expression of skin color in the Sangiks and we also know that light affects pineal, and thus pituitary, gland function.

(566.7) 49:5.19 3. Spirit-reception series. There are three groups of mind design as related to contact with spirit affairs. This classification does not refer to the one-, two-, and three-brained orders of mortals; it refers primarily to gland chemistry, more particularly to the organization of certain glands comparable to the pituitary bodies. The races on some worlds have one gland, on others two, as do Urantians, while on still other spheres the races have three of these unique bodies. The inherent imagination and spiritual receptivity is definitely influenced by this differential chemical endowment.

So this brings us to the issue of the interface between hormones and mind ministry.  How are the purely physical urges caused by hormones detected by mind ministry?  I’m trying to write an essay about it but stopped because there appears to be a total lack of interest.  I’ve moved on to other things. I’ll get back to it if you like, or if you’re anxious to know my thoughts, I could just share my notes.  Up to you.

Nigel Nunn
    Participant

Nigel asked:

“what do you think may have distinguished these 19 siblings… from each other?”

Recall that most of the UB discussion of “colored races” (three or six) refers to the normal sequence of appearance of those hominid specializations, PRIOR to the capacity to accommodate will. Thus (in the normal sequence) we might imagine significant genetic variation between each gradually appearing (evolving) colored group. But as described in the UB, the story of the colored races on Urantia was very different. From paper 65:

“[…]. Ordinarily, will does not emerge until the colored races have long been in existence, usually first appearing among the superior types of the red man. Your world is the only planet in Satania where the human type of will has appeared in a precolored race.” (736.2, 65:4.11)

Bonita, I would agree that the fact all six specializations could appear in a single family implies some truly subtle difference in epigenetic activation. But rather than something so coarse-grained as “intellectual capacity”, I wonder whether it was something less measurable, say some variation in “emotional satisfaction”.  For example, consider me (the astrophysicist) and my artistic friend. No one would claim any difference in “intellectual capacity”, but the difference in the work that can satisfy us is huge!!  I get a thrill from seeing an equation balance; he gets his rocks off from colors on a canvas. (Actually, not so different? Pattern recognition, symmetry, …)

Thus my speculation that the original Sangik siblings were all truly “superior”, but varied in their capacity to be moved by adjutant urge. Such distinction in motivation would lead to distinct cultural repercussions.

Bonita wrote:

“So this brings us to the issue of the interface between hormones and mind ministry. How are the purely physical urges caused by hormones detected by mind ministry? I’m trying to write an essay about it but stopped because there appears to be a total lack of interest. I’ve moved on to other things. I’ll get back to it if you like, or if you’re anxious to know my thoughts, I could just share my notes. Up to you.”

I’d love the chance to consider your notes! Email: nnnunnn@gmail.com

Bonita wrote:

“The Holy Spirit does not engage all seven of the adjutants, if that’s what you’re saying. She overlaps only the two higher adjutants. Once the spirit of wisdom functions, the other adjutants line up and unify under it’s direction.”

I was thinking of the Divine Minister’s ministry as “Holy Spirit” as being distinct from (but a beautiful amplification of) the more introductory urges mediated via her adjutant “level of consciousness“.

Bonita wrote:

“I also don’t understand your drawing in regards to the Holy Spirit and Spirit of Truth. In the diagram they look like entirely separate circuits. What is the blue inner circle with the baby in it? What are the three concentric circles surrounding the giant blue hair follicle? What is that follicle supposed to represent? Do babies have Adjusters? It’s all truly confusing to me.”

By the blue inner circle, I intended the womb established by the various “levels of consciousness” of the Divine Minister.

The child-face is intended to represent not a human baby, but the embryonic morontia You.

Those three concentric circles are a place-holder for the presence of the Adjuster.

The giant blue “intrusion” is the Comforter, who you so long ago invited in. Recall from (1111.8, 101:6.4),

“[…] Truth is made accessible to the wisdom-endowed individual by the bestowal on such a mind of the spirits of the Father and the Sons, the Thought Adjuster and the Spirit of Truth.” (1111.8, 101:6.4)

What I had in mind was the collaboration of Michael’s Spirit of Truth with his father’s Adjuster ;  that something about the action of Spirit of Truth facilitates the engagement of that Adjuster with you ;  that the presence of both makes truth “accessible“.

Here’s an adjusted version, which may clarify:

You Choose v2

with thanks – Nigel

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

Thanks for the reply Nigel.  There’s too much to say so I hope you won’t mind if I address one issue at a time.

But rather than something so coarse-grained as “intellectual capacity”, I wonder whether it was something less measurable, say some variation in “emotional satisfaction”.

Perhaps it would help both of us if I define the terms as I understand them.  In regards to intellectual capacity, I am referring to the underlying physical system and its potential to become the vehicle for living energies.  This, as I understand it, is determined primarily by genetic endowment.  Intellect is superimposed upon a living physical energy system, and mind ministry includes both intellect and emotion. The underlying physical capacity for living energies must be available before mind can make contact, and the nature of that underlying physical capacity determines the quantity and quality of mind ministry.  Ideal contact occurs on an ideal substrate.

0:5.8  2. Mind. The thinking, perceiving, and feeling mechanism of the human organism. The total conscious and unconscious experience. The intelligence associated with the emotional life reaching upward through worship and wisdom to the spirit level.

It is interesting that on normal worlds the Life Carriers provide the red race with ” . . .a full bestowal of the living energies . . . (51:4.2),”  and the other races get dealt a diminishing amount.   Unfortunately I can’t find anything in TUB telling us if the red Sangik race got the full bestowal of living energies, or some variation thereof.  When you boil it all down, I believe living energies are bestowed according to the capacity provided by the genetic code.  Life is bestowed upon an energy system and the protoplasmic cell is the basic unit for all life (49:1.2). All cells, as far as I know, have some form of genetic code.  Mind (intellect and emotion), is then bestowed upon those living energies.

There is also an interesting side road which I don’t know if you’re interested in going down. You say that varying emotional satisfaction may be the primary impetus for the evolution of the individual races.  I could argue that emotional dis-satisfaction can be an equally powerful motivator, perhaps even more so.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

Thus my speculation that the original Sangik siblings were all truly “superior”, but varied in their capacity to be moved by adjutant urge. Such distinction in motivation would lead to distinct cultural repercussions.

I fundamentally agree with this statement, but I’m sure my reasons are different than yours.  First of all, allow me the pleasure of getting a little nit-picky and say that the word superior is a relative term.  The purpose of creating the colored races is to provide a variety of recognizable superior and inferior traits.  The red race, with its superior allotment of living energies, is meant to dominate and integrate, with the goal of homogeneity being accomplished only when a high level of spiritual development has been attained (64:6.35). Which brings me to my second nit-pick, my contention that only the adjutants of worship and wisdom are worth the effort.

Recall that all the colored races on this planet began as humans.  In order to qualify as a bona fide human being, all seven of the adjutants must be functional with wisdom directing mind toward the Holy Spirit (36:5.11-12; 92:04).  In my opinion, a truly superior race would have a greater capacity to be “moved” by wisdom, and it is wisdom which drives the race to a higher level of spiritual development.  I don’t think wisdom is “moved” primarily by emotion and feelings.  In fact, we’re told that emotion is only used to arrest the attention of the mind in order to focus the intellect such that wisdom might be engaged (152:6.4).  Don’t forget the fact that as each race declined there eventually arose a wiseman among them to steer them from the slippery slope of ruin.

The red race, with their greater allotment of living energies and being more intelligent and more civilized (64:6.3), would have dominated if they had not also inherited the tendency to fight among themselves, a trait carried over from the aboriginal genetic code of  Andon and Fonta.  Character traits, individual and racial, are inherited; they are built into the DNA just like skin and hair color. Inherited traits or urges cannot be modified (140:4.8).  It is the emotional response to those inherited urges which must evolve, and changing an emotional response is a function of the divinely inherited free-will of personality, guided by wisdom and spiritual insight. Yes it’s accomplished through a mind ministry, but only the higher adjutants are capable of doing this.

The character traits of each of the races inherited from their DNA provides differences in regards to intellect and social abilities. The race with the greatest amount of living energies should come out on top if evolution is going the way it is meant to go. It all comes down to the fact that these living energies are most effective when bestowed upon the most ideal physical energy system.  Life always reacts to its environment and adapts in a way to bring the organism to its highest level of perfection and self-realization (65:6.2).

But you bring me to another issue when you say variations in capacity to be “moved” by the various adjutants results in cultural repercussions.  We’re told culture and civilization are human achievements,  racial acquirements, but wholly determined by the ability to comprehend new ideas (66:6.1). When it comes to the endurance of civilization and culture, “Wisdom, insight, and foresight are indispensable . . .81:6.42).”  Cultural progress is determined by the ability to think, and progress of civilization is a result of willingness to follow Adjuster guidance (109:4.4).  Civilization and cultural advances are proportional to the spirituality of its citizens (55:5.4), and it is our thoughts which lead us Godward.  And this again points to wisdom, ” . . .the goal of a purely mental and moral existence. (36:5.12)”

All this blather of mine is to reinforce the notion that the lower adjutants are not the primary players involved in this.  It’s all about the two higher adjutants, and primarily the seventh. The ability to advance in the psychic circles is paramount to the success of not only the individual, but also each single race as well as the entire human race. But allow me to make a caveat.  I am strictly speaking of the colored races on this planet.  In non-decimal worlds where the colored races appear in pre-human primates, obviously the spirits of worship and wisdom have not yet begun to function and there would also be no personality making the attributes of each race much different than what we see here.  The descriptions in TUB concerning the Sangik races would not apply since they are the result of occurring in bona fide human beings with personality. Certainly the lower adjutants are the main actors in that case, but I’m sure the goal on normal planets is still to diversify the genetic code enough to bring about the ideal physical capacity for those living energies to fully express their full potential in a bona fide human being with a superior genetic inheritance (the basis of character).

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

I was thinking of the Divine Minister’s ministry as “Holy Spirit” as being distinct from (but a beautiful amplification of) the more introductory urges mediated via her adjutant “level of consciousness“.

Yes, I agree that the Holy Spirit is distinct and unrelated to the adjutants, but what makes you think the Holy Spirit is a “beautiful amplification” of the those unrelated preparatory and material adjutants?   Is this “amplification” described somewhere in TUB?  Do you mean to say that all the adjutants are somehow glorified and become part of  the supermind? Or, that there is a more expanded and further developed version of the adjutants within the soul?   If the adjutants are completely material and the Holy Spirit is completely supermaterial, why are you drawing them as though they occupy the same space?

I am being wholeheartedly sincere when I say I really do not understand any of this and I’m more confused now than I was before your clarification.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

By the blue inner circle, I intended the womb established by the various “levels of consciousness” of the Divine Minister.

I’m awfully sorry, but I don’t know what you mean by the word “womb”.  Are you talking about the material mind or the supermaterial mind or both?  If I were to use the word “womb” in regards to the soul, the Holy Spirit would be inside of it, not surrounding it.

The child-face is intended to represent not a human baby, but the embryonic morontia You.

Then why isn’t the Adjuster also a part of her?  Where is the superconscious level in your diagram?

Those three concentric circles are a place-holder for the presence of the Adjuster.

What do you mean by “place-holder”?  Do you mean there is no Adjuster in your diagram?  If so, there would be no baby-face-you either.  In our post-bestowal age, if there’s a baby-face-you, there’s an Adjuster in all normal minded persons.  And what do the three concentric circles represent?  The Trinity?  That can’t be right . . . at least I don’t see it that way.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

The giant blue “intrusion” is the Comforter, who you so long ago invited in. Recall from (1111.8, 101:6.4), “[…] Truth is made accessible to the wisdom-endowed individual by the bestowal on such a mind of the spirits of the Father and the Sons, the Thought Adjuster and the Spirit of Truth.” (1111.8, 101:6.4) What I had in mind was the collaboration of Michael’s Spirit of Truth with his father’s Adjuster ;  that something about the action of Spirit of Truth facilitates the engagement of that Adjuster with you ;  that the presence of both makes truth “accessible“.

The Holy Spirit and the Spirit of Truth are coupled together in the soul as combined spirits (34:5.6). The Holy Spirit is the focus for the Spirit of Truth (34:4.7); he needs her because he can’t be in two places at the same time without her. (34:3.5). So, they should be placed together inside the baby-face-soul where they live.

The Spirit of Truth is a twofold spirit.  It is the spirit of both the Son and the Father together (194:2.3; 194:2.16; 194:3.1).  But that doesn’t mean that the Spirit of Truth and Holy Spirit reside with the Adjuster in the superconscious. They do not.  The Spirit of the Universal Father and Creator Son (Spirit of Truth) resides alongside the Holy Spirit in the morontia consciousness of the soul.  The Adjuster indwells the superconscious mind which includes the soul, the Spirit of Truth pervades the soul and the Holy Spirit is the supporting substance of the soul itself, the supermind arena of the soul.  (Not unlike the adjutants which are the material mind arena.) The difference between the two arenas (material and morontial) is that adjutants are impersonal and the supermind is personal, because it is the spirit presence of the personality of the Creative Spirit. (Not unlike the Spirit of Truth is the spirit presence of the personality of the Creator Son.)

Also, don’t overlook the mention of wisdom in quote 101:6.4.  The spirit of wisdom is a necessary precursor to spiritual insight into the soul where truth becomes accessible.  Earlier in the quote it is mentioned that the spirit of wisdom takes the ideas from protoplasmic material memory to associate and recombine them. In 101:6.7 we are given this same information about recombining or transforming ideas:

. . . . mandate wisdom to labor unremittingly at its noble task of transforming self-possessed ideas into increasingly practical but nonetheless supernal ideals, even those concepts which are so reasonable as ideas and so logical as ideals that the Adjuster dares so to combine and spiritize them as to render them available for such association in the finite mind as will constitute them the actual human complement thus made ready for the action of the Truth Spirit of the Sons, . . . .

The spirit of wisdom takes its recombined and transformed ideas and hands them off to the soul level where the personal presence of the Holy Spirit accepts them into her morontia intellect where she provides spiritual reason. The Spirit of Truth provides morontia wisdom,  and the Adjuster provides spiritual insight, the vision necessary to recognize spiritual meanings. The spirit of wisdom is able to deliver its package of ideas to the Holy Spirit in the soul because the two mind ministries overlap one another. There are no strict cut-off when it comes to mind, the cosmic mind is one presence with only varying intensities of function.

The Creative Spirit’s personal attraction actually makes it easy for us to ride the up-escalator, provided we choose to take the time and effort to think, to mandate wisdom to do its task. But unlike your diagram, the lower adjutants do not ride the escalator up to the soul except as their ministry to the individual becomes associated and recombined by the spirit of wisdom.

Spiritual insight itself is a gift provided within the soul.  It is essentially God consciousness which provides the ability to discern or recognize truth, the third cosmic mind intuition.  The gift of spiritual insight comes from the Adjuster, but the gift cannot be opened without the help of the Holy Spirit, and when available, the Spirit of Truth.  (Folks had spiritual insight even before Pentecost.)  The accessibility to truth is much easier with the Spirit of Truth because of the presence of his personality and his gift of making truth personal.  Personalities relate most easily to other personalities; in fact, they crave it and need it.  The Adjuster, being impersonal, is much more difficult to develop a relationship with, and we know that truth is a relationship.  The Spirit of Truth is the personification of truth and also the director of the relationships between all persons and all things.

So in a nutshell, accessibility to truth begins with wisdom and ends with revelation within the soul by the combined actions of the three spirit presences, who all work as one.

I was going to list a zillion related quotes but decided to forgo it. I hope you’ll forgive.  It’s just that I’ve already written extensively on this topic and have supplied all the quotes many, many times before.  I’ve grown weary of it all.

Nigel Nunn
    Participant

Bonita wrote:

“Perhaps it would help both of us if I define the terms as I understand them. In regards to intellectual capacity, I am referring to the underlying physical system and its potential to become the vehicle for living energies. This, as I understand it, is determined primarily by genetic endowment. Intellect is superimposed upon a living physical energy system, and mind ministry includes both intellect and emotion. The underlying physical capacity for living energies must be available before mind can make contact, and the nature of that underlying physical capacity determines the quantity and quality of mind ministry.”

Agreed. The idea I’m exploring is that part of the Life Carriers’ experiment was to expose the colored differential (whatever that is) within a family of siblings with identical “intellectual capacity”.

Bonita wrote:

“But you bring me to another issue when you say variations in capacity to be “moved” by the various adjutants results in cultural repercussions. […]” “[…] All this blather of mine is to reinforce the notion that the lower adjutants are not the primary players involved in this. […]”

Given that “[i]n the mortal experience the human intellect resides in the rhythmic pulsations of the adjutant mind-spirits and effects its decisions within the arena produced by encircuitment within this ministry.” (1286.5, 117:5.7), I understand that once the human level of mind is achieved, the adjutants (a level of consciousness of the Divine Minister) are all able to serve at an appropriate human level. Thus in the merely animal mind, the urge to socialize manifests as “herd instinct”. But in the fully human mind, this same urge surges as “Spirit of Counsel“,

“And the evolution of the higher mammals brought the function of the spirit of counsel, with the resulting growth of the herd instinct and the beginnings of primitive social development.” ( 62:6.3, , 709.4 )

In other words, that differential adjutant urge, which once could find expression merely as “herd instinct”, can, in the fully human mind and in collaboration with its fellow circuits, provoke social awareness, political acuity, and altruism. I assume a similar evolution of function for all these adjutant ministries.

A point here is that, at the level of human mind, each adjutant urge can be seen as ancestral to certain motivations, “pulsing” within that human intellect. And provoking it into action!  My thesis is that if an individual human innately focuses (or fixates) on a particular subset of adjutant motivations, at the expense of the others, then by definition, that individual’s world-view, the way those rhythmic pulsations play out in their mind, will lack balance. In this sense, their perspective will be inferior to one who can see all sides of a situation. However, it’s precisely this imbalance that can provoke the evolution of human culture — by the intrusion of “specialist” (unbalanced, inferior) world-views. The idea being that charismatic specialists, with their novel (“unbalanced”) perspective, can provoke a fresh look at old assumptions, thus serving as gentle triggers for (painfully slow-but-safe) cultural evolution.

Such a sequence is familiar in the evolution of scientific theory: first, it appears crazy; then disturbing; and finally, self-evident  :-)

Consider the repercussions among human groups, were individuals (or tribes) to fixate on certain adjutant-mediated urges, at the expense of others. For example, [Knowledge] at the expense of [Counsel/empathy], or [Worship/zeal], at the expense of [Understanding] and [Wisdom].

Think how this might play out on a normal world, where the colored differentials appear sequentially, one by one, within an existing, robust, more-or-less stable population. Let’s say the original Red race, with their “full bestowal of the living energies” (51:4.2) represent a truly balanced foundation for later cultural developments. As we know, primitive and traditional cultures tend at best to stabilize and stagnate. At worst, they die out.

So picture that robust, stable and stagnant Red-induced primitive culture. Now add some perturbation, a variation on the human theme, with equal “intellectual capacity”, but a less balanced, hence less stable response to those irrepressible adjutant urges rhythmically pulsating in those feisty, less balanced minds.

Here recall (1229.7, 112:2.20) “the unbalanced equilibrium of energies and intellect which, on Urantia, has been given the name life.

How might these socially perturbing intruders — inferior in the capacity to balance their response to those powerful adjutant urges — affect their friends and neighbors?  Would they not represent the possibility to see common practices and assumption in a new light? How else to provoke cultural evolution in a robust but stagnant traditional culture?

My guess is that such a sequential perturbing of each level of cultural stability, which social evolution naturally achieves, is part of the normal technique for gently bumping along a budding culture, onwards and upwards.

On Urantia, however, given its ideal nature for supporting human life, the Life Carriers got to see what can happen when all these “Adjutant Specialists” were allowed to interact within a single population.

( continued next message )

Nigel

Nigel Nunn
    Participant

( continued from previous message )

Bonita wrote:

“So this brings us to the issue of the interface between hormones and mind ministry. How are the purely physical urges caused by hormones detected by mind ministry? I’m trying to write an essay about it but stopped because there appears to be a total lack of interest. I’ve moved on to other things. I’ll get back to it if you like, or if you’re anxious to know my thoughts, I could just share my notes. Up to you.”

“How are the purely physical urges caused by hormones detected by mind ministry?”  Precisely the question!  What is it about the Life Carriers’ extraordinary human package that allows the physical stimulus of hormones to trigger repercussions in our human minds? And how does such repercussion help to mediate recognition of, and response to, adjutant urge?

Bonita wrote:

“There is also an interesting side road which I don’t know if you’re interested in going down. You say that varying emotional satisfaction may be the primary impetus for the evolution of the individual races. I could argue that emotional dis-satisfaction can be an equally powerful motivator, perhaps even more so.”

Indeed! Our immediate and pressing “dis-satisfactions” are an even stronger prod that those things that simply satisfy   :-)

Bonita wrote:

Nigel wrote:

*I was thinking of the Divine Minister’s ministry as “Holy Spirit” as being distinct from (but a beautiful amplification of) the more introductory urges mediated via her adjutant “level of consciousness”.*

“Yes, I agree that the Holy Spirit is distinct and unrelated to the adjutants, but what makes you think the Holy Spirit is a “beautiful amplification” of the those unrelated preparatory and material adjutants? Is this “amplification” described somewhere in TUB?”

What I had in mind is that the set of urges mediated by her “adjutant level of consciousness” dove-tails beautifully (perfectly) with those “lures of maturity” ( 160:3.0, 1777.2 ) employed by her subsequent modes of ministry:

Bonita wrote:

“Do you mean to say that all the adjutants are somehow glorified and become part of the supermind? Or, that there is a more expanded and further developed version of the adjutants within the soul?”

Sorry that diagram is still not clear. What it tries to depict is that a womb — within which our personality can fertilize an Adjuster — is established by the collaboration of multiple levels of consciousness of the Divine Minister.

Bonita wrote:

“If the adjutants are completely material and the Holy Spirit is completely supermaterial, why are you drawing them as though they occupy the same space?”

As I understand it, the “Seven Adjutant Mind Spirits” are not material. Which brings us back to the original issue: What is it about the Life Carriers’ extraordinary human package that allows physical stimulus to repercuss in something non-material? What sort of interface does this imply?

Bonita wrote:

“I am being wholeheartedly sincere when I say I really do not understand any of this and I’m more confused now than I was before your clarification.”

Which illustrates the value of committing diagrams/ideas! With speculative relationships laid out, they can be criticised and adjusted. So thank you for indicating that various critical adjustments are still required!

Bonita wrote:

Nigel wrote:
    *By the blue inner circle, I intended the womb established by the various “levels of consciousness” of the Divine Minister.*

“I’m awfully sorry, but I don’t know what you mean by the word “womb”. Are you talking about the material mind or the supermaterial mind or both? If I were to use the word “womb” in regards to the soul, the Holy Spirit would be inside of it, not surrounding it.”

By “womb”, I had in mind a place where something made of spirit (Adjuster) gets a moment of opportunity to be fertilized by something made of personality (You) . Such a womb makes possible our “second birth”.

Bonita wrote:

Nigel wrote:
    *The child-face is intended to represent not a human baby, but the embryonic morontia You.*

“Then why isn’t the Adjuster also a part of her? Where is the superconscious level in your diagram?”

Since this stage of personal development is pre-fusion, the Adjuster is still adjusting, and the baby You is still choosing.

Regarding “the superconscious level”, see page 4 of that paper: Quivering on the brink

Bonita wrote:

Nigel wrote:
    *Those three concentric circles are a place-holder for the presence of the Adjuster.*

“What do you mean by “place-holder”? Do you mean there is no Adjuster in your diagram? If so, there would be no baby-face-you either. In our post-bestowal age, if there’s a baby-face-you, there’s an Adjuster in all normal minded persons. And what do the three concentric circles represent? The Trinity? That can’t be right… at least I don’t see it that way.”

Recall that Michael and his Beloved were given a job to do: to make mortal man in the divine image of Trinity Sources projecting through this astonishing Creator couple. Since I had no idea how to depict the Adjuster presence (that window which allows us to “faith-glimpse” certain “certainties and divinities” — 1129.1, 103:0.1), I thought why not indicate this, with a hint of a glimpse of some reminder of this project of “Trinity projection”.

(359.5, 32:2.8) “And then, when such a universe has been so completely organized and so repletely manned, does the Creator Son enter into the Father’s proposal to create mortal man in their divine image.”

Having succeeded in making such a “completely organized” and “repletely manned” local universe, the stage was set: dependable Vorondadek supervision, able Lanonandek administration, loving Seraphic ministry, all under the wise watch-care of Michael’s team of Melchizedek elder sons.

Thus Nebadon serves as macrocosm for the lovely microcosm set up and customised precisely for each of us: the womb in which an Adjuster fragment gets the opportunity to be fertilized by our willful gift of personness.  However, when we recall that our Adjuster can locate where we are in space, but not so much where we are in time, then this “moment of opportunity” becomes an intriguing (but slippery) concept.

Bonita, many thanks for your helpful and valuable set of replies,

Nigel

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant
    Before I launch into a series of responses, I want to thank you for taking the time to engage in a philosophical discussion.  I can’t tell you how much it means to me to have someone willing to do that.  I think you’re the last person on the planet willing to do it.

The idea I’m exploring is that part of the Life Carriers’ experiment was to expose the colored differential (whatever that is) within a family of siblings with identical “intellectual capacity”.

I did a quick search and could not find anything to suggest that the Sangik siblings had “identical intellectual capacity.”  I’m wondering if you’ve come across a citation which states such a thing.  The best I’ve discovered is that they were unusually intelligent, but nothing to suggest their potentials for intellectual capacity were all identical.

The Sangik siblings were intellectually superior to their Andonite parents, and I believe the red race was the most intelligent; at least more intelligent than the yellow race (64:6.14).  Also, recall that the word capacity is essentially a synonym for potential on the finite level (115:3.12). It seems to me the various races had differing intellectual potentials, which of course, is dependent upon physical capacity (58:6.7; 65:6.10). The more intelligent generally subdues the less intelligent creating a situation for natural selection and the growth of tolerance, which fulfills two of the purposes of producing the colored races in the first place (64:6.31-34).

The “colored differential” you mention seems to me to be related to differing physical capacities for intellectual potential, which is meant to provide an ideal amalgamate for the purpose of mind evolution toward spirit dominance. So, I’m inclined to believe that what you assert concerning “identical intellectual capacity” cannot be true, unless I missed something, which is entirely possible.

64:5.2 A man and woman living in the northeastern part of the then inhabited highland region began suddenly to produce a family of unusually intelligent children. This was the Sangik family, the ancestors of all of the six colored races of Urantia.

64:5.3 These Sangik children, nineteen in number, were not only intelligent above their fellows, but their skins manifested a unique tendency to turn various colors upon exposure to sunlight.

64:6.3 1. The red man. These peoples were remarkable specimens of the human race, in many ways superior to Andon and Fonta. They were a most intelligent group and were the first of the Sangik children to develop a tribal civilization and government. They were always monogamous; even their mixed descendants seldom practiced plural mating.

64:6.14 3. The yellow man. The primitive yellow tribes were the first to abandon the chase, establish settled communities, and develop a home life based on agriculture. Intellectually they were somewhat inferior to the red man, but socially and collectively they proved themselves superior to all of the Sangik peoples in the matter of fostering racial civilization.

64:6.21  The blue man had the brain power of the red man associated with the soul and sentiment of the yellow man.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

Given that “in the mortal experience the human intellect resides in the rhythmic pulsations of the adjutant mind-spirits and effects its decisions within the arena produced by encircuitment within this ministry.” (1286.5, 117:5.7), I understand that once the human level of mind is achieved, the adjutants (a level of consciousness of the Divine Minister) are all able to serve at an appropriate human level.

Yes, I agree. The descriptions of the 7 adjutants in 36:5, are all explanations of how they perform in the presence of personality.  Besides having personality, a bona fide human being also has a fully functioning set of all 7 adjutants under the domination of the spirit of wisdom. The spirit of wisdom coordinates and integrates all the ” . . . past experience and present opportunities  . . .  that all of the other six mental ministers can mobilize in the mind . . . ,” then becomes the ” . . .  articulator of the work of all the others. ((36:5.12)”  The articulator speaks for all the others in the bona fide human mind.  I guess what you might be saying is that the other six mental ministers mobilize differently in each type of racial mind?  But are you saying that each race has a preference for only one particular mental minister over the others??  Or only certain features of each of the six mental ministers??

Nigel Nunn wrote: Thus in the merely animal mind, the urge to socialize manifests as “herd instinct”. But in the fully human mind, this same urge surges as “Spirit of Counsel“, “And the evolution of the higher mammals brought the function of the spirit of counsel, with the resulting growth of the herd instinct and the beginnings of primitive social development.” ( 62:6.3, , 709.4 )

In other words, that differential adjutant urge, which once could find expression merely as “herd instinct”, can, in the fully human mind and in collaboration with its fellow circuits, provoke social awareness, political acuity, and altruism. I assume a similar evolution of function for all these adjutant ministries.

Yes, I agree that the spirit of counsel and other adjutants functions differently in animals than in bona fide human beings, and that, I believe, is because of the presence of personality and the ability, through wisdom, to access spiritual insight and truth.  The ability of will creatures to harmonize with one another comes from a higher source, as does altruism.  In fact, I believe true altruism is completely Adjuster derived; it has nothing directly to do with the adjutants.  Like the rising scale of the golden rule, altruism requires spiritual inspiration. And it makes sense to me that the original life plasma contained within it all the prerequisites for rearrangements, acquirements and mutations necessary to arrive at such a place where there can actually be a divine indwelling.

103:5.1 The more positive urge of social service and the idealism of altruism are derived from the direct impulse of the divine spirit indwelling the human mind.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

A point here is that, at the level of human mind, each adjutant urge can be seen as ancestral to certain motivations, “pulsing” within that human intellect. And provoking it into action!

I can agree with the caveat that the human will plays an enormous role in providing motivations and decisions to react to those ancestral motivations pulsing throughout the intellect. I don’t think the adjutants alone provide conscious motivation in the human mind.  And having said that, I can therefore say that the spirit of wisdom must play a role in both motivation and decision, since it is the articulator of all the other adjutant urges pulsing within the mind. The spirit of wisdom has the additional benefit of pulsing within the lower spiritual realm of the Creative Spirit’s consciousness such that it overlaps the morontia consciousness zone known as the Holy Spirit, the supermind.

There’s another caveat. You say “pulsing within the human intellect”.  I don’t think it is possible to be conscious of of the two lower adjutants.  They seem to me to be completely subconscious in function.  However, once you get to the third adjutant (courage), based upon the description in 36:5.8, those urgings can be uplifted through conscious mechanisms:  the enlightenment of facts (cosmic mind reality recognition reflex #1), and the inspiration of truth (cosmic mind reality recognition reflex #3) (16:6.6-8), all of which require input from the spirit of wisdom (cosmic mind reality recognition reflex #2).

36:5.8 3. The spirit of courage – the fidelity endowment – in personal beings, the basis of character acquirement and the intellectual root of moral stamina and spiritual bravery. When enlightened by facts and inspired by truth, this becomes the secret of the urge of evolutionary ascension by the channels of intelligent and conscientious self-direction.

And finally, when speaking of motivation, one naturally asks: Just what is the actual motivation of adjutant mind ministry? Obviously it is to evolve the mind, which in turn evolves the underlying physical vehicle.  And the motivation of evolution itself is always toward spirit dominance over both the mind and the physical vehicle.

Evolution is defined as creativity in time (105:6.5). One might ask, what is it that is being created in time? It’s the perfected state, or condition.  The colored races are an integral part of evolution, the process of creating a perfecting human being with the potential to arrive at a perfected state of being.  Evolution requires diversity in order to expose the perfecting potential and then make it actual, but I think that’s another discussion altogether, not sure.

105:6.5 The divinity response to the imperfection inherent in the time lag of evolution is disclosed in the compensating presence of God the Sevenfold, by whose activities that which is perfecting is integrated with both the perfect and the perfected. This time lag is inseparable from evolution, which is creativity in time. 

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 103 total)

Login to reply to this topic.

Not registered? Sign up here.