2017 International Study Day

Home Forums Online Urantia Book Study Groups International Study Days 2017 International Study Day

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant
    Rick Warren wrote: But why is religion the key to stability and avoiding “cultural disaster”? Because religion unifies everyone and everything in God!

Yes I agree, plus there are other related reasons:

81:6.27  And no stream will rise any higher than its source no matter what technique of pressure or directional control may be employed. The driving power of even the most material aspects of a cultural civilization is resident in the least material of society’s achievements. Intelligence may control the mechanism of civilization, wisdom may direct it, but spiritual idealism is the energy which really uplifts and advances human culture from one level of attainment to another.

79:4.9 . . . true religion, is the indispensable source of that higher energy which drives men to establish a superior civilization based on human brotherhood. 

102:2.1 . . .  religion is the property of the human race; it is not a child of culture.

81:6.40 The ideals of the race are the chief support and assurance during the critical times when civilization is in transit from one level to another.

Jeannie
    Participant

Hi dear Bonita,

Some readers here in South America think that the mother cult is the origin of the cult of the Virgin Mary, do you agree with this idea?

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant
    Jeannie wrote: Some readers here in South America think that the mother cult is the origin of the cult of the Virgin Mary, do you agree with this idea?
    I think TUB tells us that the original mother cult started in Crete and was meant to worship Eve.  They don’t give an exact date, but it was sometime between 10,000 -6500BC and was dreamed up by the descendants of Cain.  They say it is the basis of the worship of Mary.
    80:7.7 It was during this age in Crete that the mother cult of the descendants of Cain attained its greatest vogue. This cult glorified Eve in the worship of the “great mother.” Images of Eve were everywhere. Thousands of public shrines were erected throughout Crete and Asia Minor. And this mother cult persisted on down to the times of Christ, becoming later incorporated in the early Christian religion under the guise of the glorification and worship of Mary the earth mother of Jesus.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

Jeannie, I just discovered an interesting quote.  Apparently there was a an ancient Mother of God cult in Mexico.  I’m not sure if that had anything to do with Eve though.  Perhaps.

89:9.2 In connection with the Mother of God cult, in Mexico and elsewhere, a sacrament of cakes and wine was eventually utilized in lieu of the flesh and blood of the older human sacrifices. The Hebrews long practiced this ritual as a part of their Passover ceremonies, and it was from this ceremonial that the later Christian version of the sacrament took its origin.

Jeannie
    Participant

Dear Bonita,

Thank you for your answer. It seems that our siblings in Mexico are right, after all!

Blessings,

Jeannie.

Jeannie
    Participant

Dear friends Kathleen Rita, Bonita and Rick,

Thank you very much for give me this opportunity to share the study of paper 98 and 99 here, and thank you all for your posts and loving attention to this Study weekend. And thank you, above all, to our Celestial Father and Michael for giving us their transforming truth.

To close this study, I would like to share with you these beautiful concepts:

Say the revelator in the Paper 99:5.2 (1091.1) Always keep in mind: True religion is to know God as your Father and man as your brother.

Searching more information about how to know God, I found this concept:

5:1.6 (63.4) If mortal man is wholeheartedly spiritually motivated, unreservedly consecrated to the doing of the Father’s will, then, since he is so certainly and so effectively spiritually endowed by the indwelling and divine Adjuster, there cannot fail to materialize in that individual’s experience the sublime consciousness of knowing God and the supernal assurance of surviving for the purpose of finding God by the progressive experience of becoming more and more like him.

So, consecration to the doing of our Father’s will is the key to know him. And the motivation to this consecration is love. Love God above all!

God bless you all!

In friendship,

Your sister Jeannie.

Nigel Nunn
    Participant

Jeannie wrote:

“To close this study, I would like to share with you these beautiful concepts: …”

Jeannie – thanks for facilitating this study.  Regarding beautiful concepts,

Jesus replied: “God is your Father, and religion — my gospel — is nothing more nor less than the believing recognition of the truth …”  (see 141:4.2)

The believing recognition of the truth…”  I like that!

Nigel

Jeannie
    Participant

Thank you, Nigel, for your kind words!

I understand by “believing recognition of the truth” to believe and to follow the truth, living it in our soul, doing the will of the Father. The recognition of our sonship with God implies love, faith, obedience, confidence, following the guidance of the Spirit and fulfilling our duties as members of the divine family.

I think this is resumed in this quote:
    193:2.2 (2054.3) “Peace be upon you. You rejoice to know that the Son of Man has risen from the dead because you thereby know that you and your brethren shall also survive mortal death. But such survival is dependent on your having been previously born of the spirit of truth-seeking and God-finding. The bread of life and the water thereof are given only to those who hunger for truth and thirst for righteousness — for God. The fact that the dead rise is not the gospel of the kingdom. These great truths and these universe facts are all related to this gospel in that they are a part of the result of believing the good news and are embraced in the subsequent experience of those who, by faith, become, in deed and in truth, the everlasting sons of the eternal God. My Father sent me into the world to proclaim this salvation of sonship to all men. And so send I you abroad to preach this salvation of sonship. Salvation is the free gift of God, but those who are born of the spirit will immediately begin to show forth the fruits of the spirit in loving service to their fellow creatures. And the fruits of the divine spirit which are yielded in the lives of spirit-born and God-knowing mortals are: loving service, unselfish devotion, courageous loyalty, sincere fairness, enlightened honesty, undying hope, confiding trust, merciful ministry, unfailing goodness, forgiving tolerance, and enduring peace. If professed believers bear not these fruits of the divine spirit in their lives, they are dead; the Spirit of Truth is not in them; they are useless branches on the living vine, and they soon will be taken away. My Father requires of the children of faith that they bear much spirit fruit. If, therefore, you are not fruitful, he will dig about your roots and cut away your unfruitful branches. Increasingly, must you yield the fruits of the spirit as you progress heavenward in the kingdom of God. You may enter the kingdom as a child, but the Father requires that you grow up, by grace, to the full stature of spiritual adulthood. And when you go abroad to tell all nations the good news of this gospel, I will go before you, and my Spirit of Truth shall abide in your hearts. My peace I leave with you.”

God bless you!

Your sister,

Jeannie.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

Login to reply to this topic.

Not registered? Sign up here.