200 Million Mortal Ascenders on Jerusem

Home Forums Urantia Book General Discussions 200 Million Mortal Ascenders on Jerusem

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 182 total)
  • Author
    Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

George was right.

So you also think I’m dishonest and stupid?  Well, that’s two, but it’s not a majority, I don’t think.  Sorry you guys have such a low opinion of me.  Personally, I don’t have such negative thoughts about either of you.  I just find it shocking when otherwise good people resort to ad hominem when a discussion isn’t going the way they want it to go.  The other thing they do is run away to their safe zone.  Understandable but not ideal.

Van Amadon
    Van Amadon
    Participant

I love you all.

Especially those who are ashamed of me.

Mara
    Mara
    Participant
    I’m so ashamed of Enno.
    That is an ad hominem Bonita.  I don’t know why you and Bradly gang up on him and high-five each other over it.  It isn’t nice to bring things that you discussed with Van on another forum to this forum.  It is inappropriate.

I love you all. Especially those who are ashamed of me.

It seems to me you’ve taken the higher road in the discussion today.  Thanks.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

That is an ad hominem Bonita.

Please explain how feeling ashamed and embarrassed of someone’s behavior is ad hominem.  Isn’t this exactly what you’re doing right now?

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

It seems to me you’ve taken the higher road in the discussion today.

Since when is calling someone a TOOL the higher road?  What road is that?  I’m not familiar with that moral high road.

It seems to me that the moral high road would be saying, “Sorry”.  And I don’t detect any sincerity at all in Enno’s comment about loving me. Where’s the evidence? Perhaps I missed it?

George Park
    Participant

Van Amadon wrote: George was right. So you also think I’m dishonest and stupid?

My goodness… Don’t you ever grow tired of constantly misrepresenting what others say? I never said I thought you were unintelligent. Quite the opposite, in fact!

Mara
    Mara
    Participant

133:2.1  While tarrying at the ship landing, waiting for the boat to unload cargo, the travelers observed a man mistreating his wife. As was his custom, Jesus intervened in behalf of the person subjected to attack. He stepped up behind the irate husband and, tapping him gently on the shoulder, said: “My friend, may I speak with you in private for a moment?” The angry man was nonplused by such an approach and, after a moment of embarrassing hesitation, stammered out — “er — why — yes, what do you want with me?” When Jesus had led him to one side, he said: “My friend, I perceive that something terrible must have happened to you; I very much desire that you tell me what could happen to such a strong man to lead him to attack his wife, the mother of his children, and that right out here before all eyes. I am sure you must feel that you have some good reason for this assault. What did the woman do to deserve such treatment from her husband? As I look upon you, I think I discern in your face the love of justice if not the desire to show mercy. I venture to say that, if you found me out by the wayside, attacked by robbers, you would unhesitatingly rush to my rescue. I dare say you have done many such brave things in the course of your life. Now, my friend, tell me what is the matter? Did the woman do something wrong, or did you foolishly lose your head and thoughtlessly assault her?” It was not so much what he said that touched this man’s heart as the kindly look and the sympathetic smile which Jesus bestowed upon him at the conclusion of his remarks. Said the man: “I perceive you are a priest of the Cynics, and I am thankful you restrained me. My wife has done no great wrong; she is a good woman, but she irritates me by the manner in which she picks on me in public, and I lose my temper. I am sorry for my lack of self-control, and I promise to try to live up to my former pledge to one of your brothers who taught me the better way many years ago. I promise you.”

184:2.12   Having taken the first step along the path of compromise and least resistance, there was nothing apparent to Peter but to go on with the course of conduct decided upon. It requires a great and noble character, having started out wrong, to turn about and go right. All too often one’s own mind tends to justify continuance in the path of error when once it is entered upon.
    Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

Greetings Mara!

While I am happy to leave you to your opinions as what is virtue and what is not related to this conversation, I am puzzled by your position on the mention, discussion, or even posting what someone has publicly posted of their own opinions and views at another study group forum.  Van/Enno/nod publicly posted on many topics.  This one he actually titled and originated.  I still study it to consider Enno’s motives and mind set and opinions of the UB.  By the way I post as fanofVan at TruthBook and believe the words one publishes are public and subject to public consideration and review.  So we’ll disagree on this one.  As to Enno’s high road and impeccable standards of conduct here and historically….well to each their own opinion.  Here’s a link to Enno’s claims of the dangers of the UB:

http://truthbook.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5332

By the way, he has not publicly altered, amended, edited, or otherwise changed this public opinion and defense of his proposition to my knowledge….which can always be done at TruthBook….there is no deadline for editing or adding to a post and topic.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

My goodness… Don’t you ever grow tired of constantly misrepresenting what others say? I never said I thought you were unintelligent. Quite the opposite, in fact!

Sorry, but you said it was hard to have an honest conversation with someone who is obtuse.  That makes my efforts at conversation, according to you, dishonest, annoyingly insensitive and hard to understand. You did say that, right?

Mara
    Mara
    Participant

While I am happy to leave you to your opinions

Thank you for leaving me to my opinions.  It seems to me you are not okay with the opinions of Van.  People are entitled to have their opinions whether you agree with them or not.

By the way, he has not publicly altered, amended, edited, or otherwise changed this public opinion and defense of his proposition to my knowledge

It that your mission? To change his *proposition*?  Is this forum about the exchange of ideas and interpretations of the Urantia Book?  Isn’t it desirable to respect the personalities of those who express their opinions here?

159:3.2   Always respect the personality of man. Never should a righteous cause be promoted by force; spiritual victories can be won only by spiritual power. This injunction against the employment of material influences refers to psychic force as well as to physical force. Overpowering arguments and mental superiority are not to be employed to coerce men and women into the kingdom. Man’s mind is not to be crushed by the mere weight of logic or overawed by shrewd eloquence. While emotion as a factor in human decisions cannot be wholly eliminated, it should not be directly appealed to in the teachings of those who would advance the cause of the kingdom. Make your appeals directly to the divine spirit that dwells within the minds of men. Do not appeal to fear, pity, or mere sentiment. In appealing to men, be fair; exercise self-control and exhibit due restraint; show proper respect for the personalities of your pupils. Remember that I have said: “Behold, I stand at the door and knock, and if any man will open, I will come in.”

George Park
    Participant

George Park wrote: My goodness… Don’t you ever grow tired of constantly misrepresenting what others say? I never said I thought you were unintelligent. Quite the opposite, in fact! Sorry, but you said it was hard to have an honest conversation with someone who is obtuse. That makes my efforts at conversation, according to you, dishonest, annoyingly insensitive and hard to understand. You did say that, right?

Sorry if you are apparently having a hard time understanding and/or remembering what I actually wrote. Don’t see how I can help you further.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

Sorry if you are apparently having a hard time understanding and/or remembering what I actually wrote.

Well, I think it’s the other way around. I think you’ve forgotten what you wrote.  Here it is:

George Park wrote:I must say it’s hard to have a honest discussion with someone who is being intentionally obtuse. But have a good weekend!
    Here’s what I wrote:

Sorry, but you said it was hard to have an honest conversation with someone who is obtuse.

Sorry I switched your word discussion to conversation, my bad.  And, I left out the word intentionally, which actually makes what you said  worse because it impugns my motives, which you are mistaken about. So you did say that my attempts at discussion are intentionally dishonest, annoyingly insensitive and hard to understand. By the way, another meaning of the word obtuse is dumb or stupid.

George Park wrote:Don’t see how I can help you further.
    What makes you think I’m asking for, or want, your help?  Seems to me that I did remember what you said and I’m still wondering why you’re denying that you said it?  It’s in print!!
    Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

Isn’t it desirable to respect the personalities of those who express their opinions here?

Yes, we all have to respect each other’s personalities, but we don’t have to respect each other’s opinions.  No one should be expected to respect the opinion that an honest man is a TOOL.   Some opinions are simply not worthy of respect.

Van Amadon
    Van Amadon
    Participant

God has many tools. No?

Van Amadon
    Van Amadon
    Participant
    God has many tools (us) to further his plans. And he allows us to be used that way, even if co-operation with him isn’t according to his plan.
     (48:4.7) 3. Prophetic joy. It will perhaps be difficult for mortals to envisage this phase of humor, but we do get a peculiar satisfaction out of the assurance “that all things work together for good”—for spirits and morontians as well as for mortals. This aspect of celestial humor grows out of our faith in the loving overcare of our superiors and in the divine stability of our Supreme Directors.
    But we have a particular tool we can use too. And when we do, we’ll be taking it out of low gear, and getting it into a higher gear of co-operation. (195:10.18)
     (160:4.15) And it is in this business of facing failure and adjusting to defeat that the far-reaching vision of religion exerts its supreme influence. Failure is simply an educational episode—a cultural experiment in the acquirement of wisdom—in the experience of the God-seeking man who has embarked on the eternal adventure of the exploration of a universe. To such men defeat is but a new tool for the achievement of higher levels of universe reality.
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 182 total)

Login to reply to this topic.

Not registered? Sign up here.