Paper 191 – APPEARANCES TO THE APOSTLES AND OTHER LEADERS

Home Forums Online Urantia Book Study Groups One Page a Day Study Group (OPAD) Paper 191 – APPEARANCES TO THE APOSTLES AND OTHER LEADERS

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant

.Greetings nelsong, Keryn, Bradly, Alina, Carolyn, Carola, Fellow Students, Forum Friends, Members and Visitors,

Philadelphia had long been a stronghold of Jesus’ believers east of Palestine, apart from Israel and the control of the Jerusalem synagogue system, and Abner was its leader. This little town later became gigantic Amman, the current capital of Jordan. Lazarus had fled there on the Master’s advice, so that he might not be taken by the Sanhedrin in Jerusalem.

decapols.jpg

IMAGE SOURCE

Obviously, distance was no challenge for the morontia Master. But what a joyous surprise, and such excellent timing for his tenth appearance. From today’s OPAD:

This appearance occurred just after the opening of a special meeting in the synagogue which had been called by Abner to discuss the crucifixion of Jesus and the more recent report of the resurrection…. (2041.4)191:4.1

Once again the risen Jesus delivers the “Great Commission”. From today’s text:

“…Go, then, into all the world proclaiming this gospel of the fatherhood of God and the brotherhood of men to all nations and races and ever be wise in your choice of methods for presenting the good news to the different races and tribes of mankind….” (2042.1)191:4.4

From Wikipedia:

Etymology

It is unknown who coined the term “The Great Commission”. Scholars such as Eduard Riggenbach (in “Der Trinitarische Taufbefehl’) and J.H. Oldham et al (in “The Missionary Motive”) assert that even the very concept did not exist until after the year 1650, and that Matthew 28:18–20 was traditionally interpreted instead as having been addressed only to Jesus’s disciples then living (believed to be up to 500), and as having been carried out by them and fulfilled, not as a continuing obligation upon subsequent generations. The issues of Biblical law in Christianity and the Law of Christ and whether or not they include the Great Commission are still hotly debated.

From the last paragraph of today’s reading:

…he received visiting morontia delegates from the mansion worlds of every local system of inhabited spheres throughout the constellation of Norlatiadek…. (2042.4)191:4.7

Norlatiadek has 100 systems (a local system has, or will have at completion, 1000 planets). From Paper 15:

…Satania has a headquarters world called Jerusem, and it is system number twenty-four in the constellation of Norlatiadek. Your constellation, Norlatiadek, consists of one hundred local systems and has a headquarters world called Edentia. Norlatiadek is number seventy in the universe of Nebadon. The local universe of Nebadon consists of one hundred constellations and has a capital known as Salvington. The universe of Nebadon is number eighty-four in the minor sector of Ensa…. (182.5)15:14.6

Tomorrow’s reading is Section 5. Second Appearance to the Apostles. Two apostles find and bring Thomas back to the upper chamber at John Mark’s home. But he refuses to believe Jesus has risen–until he actually sees him. The Master delivers a long plea for devotion and selfless service, then arranges their next meeting, in Galilee. And he gives a blessing across the centuries, to you and me who believe without seeing or hearing.

Overview of Paper 191. Appearances to the Apostles and Other Leaders

1. The Appearance to Peter
    2. First Appearance to the Apostles
    3. With the Morontia Creatures
    4. The Tenth Appearance (At Philadelphia)
    5. Second Appearance to the Apostles
    6. The Alexandrian Appearance

This group of papers [121-196] was sponsored by a commission of twelve Urantia midwayers acting under the supervision of a Melchizedek revelatory director. The basis of this narrative was supplied by a secondary midwayer who was onetime assigned to the superhuman watchcare of the Apostle Andrew.

Listen to Paper 191: (click the speaker icon at the top of the page)

Thanks for reading. Members’ thoughts, reflections, insights, observations, comments, corrections and questions about today’s OPAD presentation are invited.

Much love, Rick/OPAD host.

Richard E Warren

Keryn
    Participant

Thank you Keryn, it’s perfectly appropriate that you bring this question here. Admittedly, I’ve never heard such a concern expressed, but if it is “troublesome” to you, I believe it. That said, I’m not understanding exactly why this is not in conformity with his character. Why would that be ungodlike? You’re saying it was just rude and too abrupt? There may have been another reason he exited in such a manner, he wanted his viewers not to try and touch him, it would have been a natural human reaction of course. Were their eyes deceiving them? Would their hands confirm what their eyes see? If he hadn’t “vanished” so suddenly, each of the various groups surely would have pressed in on him. Recall he said to Mary Magdalene, to whom he first appeared:

“…Touch me not, Mary, for I am not as you knew me in the flesh….” (2027.2) 189:4.12 I had a different reaction to his sudden appearances and vanishings. I found it somehow divine that he would come and go in such a fashion being a morontia entity. And too, it may have had something to do with those Energy Transformers that made his image observable to human vision. Presumably Gabriel’s appearances were equally as abrupt.

Rick (and Nelson),

Thank you for your responses.  Let me first say that I did not ever intend to say that the sudden vanishings were “ungodlike”, per se.  More that they seemed to be attention-getting, and perhaps leading toward magical thinking and miracles, which I understood Jesus to be reluctant to lead men to look for signs and magical or miraculous events as proof of his Divine nature.

Your point about the importance that he not be touched is something I hadn’t thought about, and it certainly does make sense.  That would be consistent with my understanding of Jesus’ character and actions leading up to this point, so it seems to resolve the issue for me.  It’s nice that I can come here  ask a question like this and learn from others’ perspectives!

Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant

Thank you Keryn, it’s perfectly appropriate that you bring this question here. Admittedly, I’ve never heard such a concern expressed, but if it is “troublesome” to you, I believe it. That said, I’m not understanding exactly why this is not in conformity with his character. Why would that be ungodlike? You’re saying it was just rude and too abrupt? There may have been another reason he exited in such a manner, he wanted his viewers not to try and touch him, it would have been a natural human reaction of course. Were their eyes deceiving them? Would their hands confirm what their eyes see? If he hadn’t “vanished” so suddenly, each of the various groups surely would have pressed in on him. Recall he said to Mary Magdalene, to whom he first appeared:

“…Touch me not, Mary, for I am not as you knew me in the flesh….” (2027.2) 189:4.12 I had a different reaction to his sudden appearances and vanishings. I found it somehow divine that he would come and go in such a fashion being a morontia entity. And too, it may have had something to do with those Energy Transformers that made his image observable to human vision. Presumably Gabriel’s appearances were equally as abrupt.

Rick (and Nelson),

Thank you for your responses. Let me first say that I did not ever intend to say that the sudden vanishings were “ungodlike”, per se. More that they seemed to be attention-getting, and perhaps leading toward magical thinking and miracles, which I understood Jesus to be reluctant to lead men to look for signs and magical or miraculous events as proof of his Divine nature.

Your point about the importance that he not be touched is something I hadn’t thought about, and it certainly does make sense. That would be consistent with my understanding of Jesus’ character and actions leading up to this point, so it seems to resolve the issue for me. It’s nice that I can come here ask a question like this and learn from others’ perspectives!

You are most welcome, Keryn. Glad you asked, it stimulated evaluation, and valuable reflection on how others differentially interpret these same teachings.

Richard E Warren

nelsong
    Participant

I think that the personalities involved with making Jesus Moronita form visible to certain individuals were winging it. Its not like they had any practice at this sort of thing.

Making a God Son Morontia form appear as if it were the previous flesh and blood person was likely quite a challenge.

I dont think the Physical Controllers were trying to accomplish anything more or less than a simple appearance at the appropriate time. Any dramatics were either a mistake or mistaken interpretations by observers.

Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant

Welcome to The OPAD Online Study Session

Today’s Presentation

Paper 191 – Appearances to the Apostles and Other Leaders

Thomas spent a lonesome week alone with himself in the hills around about Olivet. During this time he saw only those at Simon’s house and John Mark. It was about nine o’clock on Saturday, April 15, when the two apostles found him and took him back with them to their rendezvous at the Mark home. The next day Thomas listened to the telling of the stories of the Master’s various appearances, but he steadfastly refused to believe. He maintained that Peter had enthused them into thinking they had seen the Master. Nathaniel reasoned with him, but it did no good. There was an emotional stubbornness associated with his customary doubtfulness, and this state of mind, coupled with his chagrin at having run away from them, conspired to create a situation of isolation which even Thomas himself did not fully understand. He had withdrawn from his fellows, he had gone his own way, and now, even when he was back among them, he unconsciously tended to assume an attitude of disagreement. He was slow to surrender; he disliked to give in. Without intending it, he really enjoyed the attention paid him; he derived unconscious satisfaction from the efforts of all his fellows to convince and convert him. He had missed them for a full week, and he obtained considerable pleasure from their persistent attentions.

(2042.6)191:5.2 They were having their evening meal a little after six o’clock, with Peter sitting on one side of Thomas and Nathaniel on the other, when the doubting apostle said: “I will not believe unless I see the Master with my own eyes and put my finger in the mark of the nails.” As they thus sat at supper, and while the doors were securely shut and barred, the morontia Master suddenly appeared inside the curvature of the table and, standing directly in front of Thomas, said:

(2043.1)191:5.3“Peace be upon you. For a full week have I tarried that I might appear again when you were all present to hear once more the commission to go into all the world and preach this gospel of the kingdom. Again I tell you: As the Father sent me into the world, so send I you. As I have revealed the Father, so shall you reveal the divine love, not merely with words, but in your daily living. I send you forth, not to love the souls of men, but rather to love men. You are not merely to proclaim the joys of heaven but also to exhibit in your daily experience these spirit realities of the divine life since you already have eternal life, as the gift of God, through faith. When you have faith, when power from on high, the Spirit of Truth, has come upon you, you will not hide your light here behind closed doors; you will make known the love and the mercy of God to all mankind. Through fear you now flee from the facts of a disagreeable experience, but when you shall have been baptized with the Spirit of Truth, you will bravely and joyously go forth to meet the new experiences of proclaiming the good news of eternal life in the kingdom of God. You may tarry here and in Galilee for a short season while you recover from the shock of the transition from the false security of the authority of traditionalism to the new order of the authority of facts, truth, and faith in the supreme realities of living experience. Your mission to the world is founded on the fact that I lived a God-revealing life among you; on the truth that you and all other men are the sons of God; and it shall consist in the life which you will live among men — the actual and living experience of loving men and serving them, even as I have loved and served you. Let faith reveal your light to the world; let the revelation of truth open the eyes blinded by tradition; let your loving service effectually destroy the prejudice engendered by ignorance. By so drawing close to your fellow men in understanding sympathy and with unselfish devotion, you will lead them into a saving knowledge of the Father’s love. The Jews have extolled goodness; the Greeks have exalted beauty; the Hindus preach devotion; the faraway ascetics teach reverence; the Romans demand loyalty; but I require of my disciples life, even a life of loving service for your brothers in the flesh.”*

(2043.2)191:5.4 When the Master had so spoken, he looked down into the face of Thomas and said: “And you, Thomas, who said you would not believe unless you could see me and put your finger in the nail marks of my hands, have now beheld me and heard my words; and though you see no nail marks on my hands, since I am raised in the form that you also shall have when you depart from this world, what will you say to your brethren? You will acknowledge the truth, for already in your heart you had begun to believe even when you so stoutly asserted your unbelief. Your doubts, Thomas, always most stubbornly assert themselves just as they are about to crumble. Thomas, I bid you be not faithless but believing — and I know you will believe, even with a whole heart.”

(2043.3)191:5.5 When Thomas heard these words, he fell on his knees before the morontia Master and exclaimed, “I believe! My Lord and my Master!” Then said Jesus to Thomas: “You have believed, Thomas, because you have really seen and heard me. Blessed are those in the ages to come who will believe even though they have not seen with the eye of flesh nor heard with the mortal ear.”

(2043.4)191:5.6 And then, as the Master’s form moved over near the head of the table, he addressed them all, saying: “And now go all of you to Galilee, where I will presently appear to you.” After he said this, he vanished from their sight.

(2044.1)191:5.7 The eleven apostles were now fully convinced that Jesus had risen from the dead, and very early the next morning, before the break of day, they started out for Galilee.

[Each OPAD presentation is copied from The Urantia Book published by Urantia Foundation. Questions and comments related to the Paper under discussion are welcome and encouraged. In-depth questions and related topics may be studied in branch threads in the OPAD, or other subforums, as you require. Thank you for studying with us.]

Richard E Warren

Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant

Good Day nelsong, Keryn, Rick B, Bradly, Bonita, Alina, Carolyn, Carola, Fellow Students, Forum Friends, Members and Guests,

Thomas made a reputation for himself that has echoed down the halls of history. It is not necessarily an honorable or admirable title–Doubting Thomas–but his renown for skepticism is well known even 20 centuries after his death.

From today’s reading:

“…I will not believe unless I see the Master with my own eyes and put my finger in the mark of the nails….” (2042.6)191:5.2

Many an artist has attempted to capture his misplaced doubt on canvas:

Benjamin_West_The_Incredulity_of_St_Thom

IMAGE SOURCE

350px-Caravaggio_-_The_Incredulity_of_Sa

The Incredulity of Saint Thomas by Caravaggio

IMAGE SOURCE

From today’s reading:

“…and though you see no nail marks on my hands, since I am raised in the form that you also shall have when you depart from this world, what will you say to your brethren?” (2043.2)191:5.4

Peter_Paul_Rubens_-_The_Incredulity_of_S

Rubens, showing the hands, with an “almost invisible” wound to the “wrong” side.

IMAGE SOURCE

Jesus made several remarkable, soul-satisfying, and beautiful statements in this appearance before his chosen ones:

“…Let faith reveal your light to the world; let the revelation of truth open the eyes blinded by tradition; let your loving service effectually destroy the prejudice engendered by ignorance….” (2043.1)191:5.3

Compare the quote above with this from a Melchizedek, the author of Paper 101:

…Evolved religion rests wholly on faith. Revelation has the additional assurance of its expanded presentation of the truths of divinity and reality and the still more valuable testimony of the actual experience which accumulates in consequence of the practical working union of the faith of evolution and the truth of revelation…. (1111:2) 101:5.12

This all-inclusive statement is remarkable not only for its scope, balance and symmetry, but for putting so much in so few words:

“…The Jews have extolled goodness; the Greeks have exalted beauty; the Hindus preach devotion; the faraway ascetics teach reverence; the Romans demand loyalty; but I require of my disciples life, even a life of loving service for your brothers in the flesh….”(2043.1)191:5.3

This is an arresting way of presenting an admonition about living the truth:

“…I send you forth, not to love the souls of men, but rather to love men….(2043.1)191:5.3

Evidently a distinction needs to be made between loving a person’s soul (the good part?) and loving the human co-creator of that same soul, the whole person. Who knew?!

The Gospel records of this appearance are mixed with other events, out of order and inconclusive. This is from John 20:

19 Then the same day at evening, being the first day of the week, when the doors were shut where the disciples were assembled for fear of the Jews, came Jesus and stood in the midst, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you.

20 And when he had so said, he shewed unto them his hands and his side. Then were the disciples glad, when they saw the Lord.

21 Then said Jesus to them again, Peace be unto you: as my Father hath sent me, even so send I you.

22 And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost:

23 Whose soever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; and whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained.

24 But Thomas, one of the twelve, called Didymus, was not with them when Jesus came.

25 The other disciples therefore said unto him, We have seen the Lord. But he said unto them, Except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and thrust my hand into his side, I will not believe.

26 And after eight days again his disciples were within, and Thomas with them: then came Jesus, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, Peace be unto you.

27 Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing.

28 And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God.

29 Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.

30 And many other signs truly did Jesus in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book:

31 But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.

From Luke 24:

36 And as they thus spake, Jesus himself stood in the midst of them, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you.

37 But they were terrified and affrighted, and supposed that they had seen a spirit.

38 And he said unto them, Why are ye troubled? and why do thoughts arise in your hearts?

39 Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.

40 And when he had thus spoken, he shewed them his hands and his feet.

41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.

43 And he took it, and did eat before them.

44 And he said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me.

45 Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,

46 And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behooved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day:

47 And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

48 And ye are witnesses of these things.

49 And, behold, I send the promise of my Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power from on high.

50 And he led them out as far as to Bethany, and he lifted up his hands, and blessed them.

51 And it came to pass, while he blessed them, he was parted from them, and carried up into heaven.

52 And they worshipped him, and returned to Jerusalem with great joy:

53 And were continually in the temple, praising and blessing God. Amen.

From Mark 16:

But go your way, tell his disciples and Peter that he goeth before you into Galilee: there shall ye see him, as he said unto you.

14 Afterward he appeared unto the eleven as they sat at meat, and upbraided them with their unbelief and hardness of heart, because they believed not them which had seen him after he was risen.

15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;

18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

19 So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God.

20 And they went forth, and preached every where, the Lord working with them, and confirming the word with signs following. Amen.

Matthew has nothing about this appearance, except this confused instruction to the women, to tell the apostles to go and wait for him in Galilee, entirely skipping the upper room meeting with the risen Master.

From chapter 28:

And go quickly, and tell his disciples that he is risen from the dead; and, behold, he goeth before you into Galilee; there shall ye see him: lo, I have told you.

10 Then said Jesus unto them, Be not afraid: go tell my brethren that they go into Galilee, and there shall they see me.

Tomorrow’s reading is the last of 191, Section 6. The Alexandrian Appearance. The great thinker Rodan (of earlier association with the apostles) calls the local believers together to hear David’s messenger deliver the report of the resurrection. Immediately after that Jesus appears to deliver the Great Commission to these 80 loyal Greeks and Jews living in Egypt.

This group of papers [121-196] was sponsored by a commission of twelve Urantia midwayers acting under the supervision of a Melchizedek revelatory director. The basis of this narrative was supplied by a secondary midwayer who was onetime assigned to the superhuman watchcare of the Apostle Andrew.

Thanks for reading. Members’ thoughts, reflections, insights, observations, comments, corrections and questions about today’s OPAD presentation are invited.

Richard E Warren

Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant

Welcome to The OPAD Online Study Session

Today’s Presentation

Paper 191 – Appearances to the Apostles and Other Leaders

While the eleven apostles were on the way to Galilee, drawing near their journey’s end, on Tuesday evening, April 18, at about half past eight o’clock, Jesus appeared to Rodan and some eighty other believers, in Alexandria. This was the Master’s twelfth appearance in morontia form. Jesus appeared before these Greeks and Jews at the conclusion of the report of David’s messenger regarding the crucifixion. This messenger, being the fifth in the Jerusalem-Alexandria relay of runners, had arrived in Alexandria late that afternoon, and when he had delivered his message to Rodan, it was decided to call the believers together to receive this tragic word from the messenger himself. At about eight o’clock, the messenger, Nathan of Busiris, came before this group and told them in detail all that had been told him by the preceding runner. Nathan ended his touching recital with these words: “But David, who sends us this word, reports that the Master, in foretelling his death, declared that he would rise again.” Even as Nathan spoke, the morontia Master appeared there in full view of all. And when Nathan sat down, Jesus said:

(2044.3)191:6.2“Peace be upon you. That which my Father sent me into the world to establish belongs not to a race, a nation, nor to a special group of teachers or preachers. This gospel of the kingdom belongs to both Jew and gentile, to rich and poor, to free and bond, to male and female, even to the little children. And you are all to proclaim this gospel of love and truth by the lives which you live in the flesh. You shall love one another with a new and startling affection, even as I have loved you. You will serve mankind with a new and amazing devotion, even as I have served you. And when men see you so love them, and when they behold how fervently you serve them, they will perceive that you have become faith-fellows of the kingdom of heaven, and they will follow after the Spirit of Truth which they see in your lives, to the finding of eternal salvation.

(2044.4)191:6.3“As the Father sent me into this world, even so now send I you. You are all called to carry the good news to those who sit in darkness. This gospel of the kingdom belongs to all who believe it; it shall not be committed to the custody of mere priests. Soon will the Spirit of Truth come upon you, and he shall lead you into all truth. Go you, therefore, into all the world preaching this gospel, and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the ages.”

(2044.5)191:6.4 When the Master had so spoken, he vanished from their sight. All that night these believers remained there together recounting their experiences as kingdom believers and listening to the many words of Rodan and his associates. And they all believed that Jesus had risen from the dead. Imagine the surprise of David’s herald of the resurrection, who arrived the second day after this, when they replied to his announcement, saying: “Yes, we know, for we have seen him. He appeared to us day before yesterday.”

[Each OPAD presentation is copied from The Urantia Book published by Urantia Foundation. Questions and comments related to the Paper under discussion are welcome and encouraged. In-depth questions and related topics may be studied in branch threads in the OPAD, or other subforums, as you require. Thank you for studying with us.]

Richard E Warren

Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant

.Greetings nelsong, Keryn, Bonita, Bradly, Rick B, Alina, Carolyn, Carola, Fellow Students, Forum Friends, Members and Visitors,

From today’s text:

…Nathan of Busiris, came before this group and told them in detail all that had been told him by the preceding runner…. (2044.2)191:6.1

This map gives an idea of the route Nathan and the others ran, about 300 miles, in five relays, over two and a half days. Each runner averaging 60 miles per relay:

EGYPT.GIF

MAP SOURCE

It’s curious that the Midwayers mention his name and hometown, as with no other of David’s messengers. And Nathan is not mentioned elsewhere in the UB, nor does a search find his name in secular or sacred history. But his town is known in Egyptian mythology.

From Wikipedia:

Busiris is the Greek name of a place in Egypt, which in Egyptian was named ḏdw (pronounced Djedu). The location was an important necropolis and a centre for the cult of Osiris, hence name Busiris. The word Busiris was also used to refer to chief god of Busiris, an attribute of Osiris.

SOURCE/MORE

The risen Master urges his believers to go out and proclaim the Gospel, adding this memorable line:

“…You shall love one another with a new and startling affection, even as I have loved you….” (2044.3)191:6.

And so many times he iterated the idea that the Gospel must be lived. From today’s reading:

“…And you are all to proclaim this gospel of love and truth by the lives which you live in the flesh….” (2044.3)191:6.

In his appearance to the Samaritans (Paper 193:1), he said, in part:

“…while salvation is the free gift of God and is bestowed upon all who accept it by faith, there follows the experience of bearing the fruits of this spirit life as it is lived in the flesh….” (2053.4)193:1.2

From Paper 140:

“…it will not be so much by the words you speak as by the lives you live that men will know you have been with me and have learned of the realities of the kingdom….” (1569.4)140:1.7

What a thrilling and wondrous experience it must have been for each group, each individual, he appeared before. Just imagine what a tumult it would create if such as that happened today!

Appearing to the Greeks and Samaritans forever ensured the Gospel would reach outside and well beyond the Hebrew arena, and not become another obscure treasure of so-called holy men. From today’s reading:

“…This gospel of the kingdom belongs to all who believe it; it shall not be committed to the custody of mere priests….” (2044.4)191:6.3

Rodan is well known to UB readers because he is the featured speaker in two whole Papers of Part IV:

160. Rodan of Alexandria
    161. Further Discussions with Rodan

Rodan’s fate as a martyr is revealed in 161:2:

…Rodan made his way back to Alexandria, where he long taught his philosophy in the school of Meganta. He became a mighty man in the later affairs of the kingdom of heaven; he was a faithful believer to the end of his earth days, yielding up his life in Greece with others when the persecutions were at their height…. (1787.2)161:2.12

From today’s OPAD text:

“…Soon will the Spirit of Truth come upon you, and he shall lead you into all truth….” (2044.4)191:6.3

The narrative of the bestowal of the Spirit of Truth is in two Papers:

194. Bestowal of the Spirit of Truth
    195. After Pentecost

Tomorrow’s reading is the opening statement of Paper 192 -Appearances In Galilee. We learn about the beginning of the persecutions, about Peter’s lead role in disseminating the Gospel, and what Mary, the Master’s mother, and the other women did during the week. Also we are told about John Mark secretly following the apostles to Galilee.

Richard E Warren

nelsong
    Participant

(2044.3)191:6.2“Peace be upon you. That which my Father sent me into the world to establish belongs not to a race, a nation, nor to a special group of teachers or preachers. This gospel of the kingdom belongs to both Jew and gentile, to rich and poor, to free and bond, to male and female, even to the little children. And you are all to proclaim this gospel of love and truth by the lives which you live in the flesh. You shall love one another with a new and startling affection, even as I have loved you. You will serve mankind with a new and amazing devotion, even as I have served you. And when men see you so love them, and when they behold how fervently you serve them, they will perceive that you have become faith-fellows of the kingdom of heaven, and they will follow after the Spirit of Truth which they see in your lives, to the finding of eternal salvation.

(2044.4)191:6.3“As the Father sent me into this world, even so now send I you. You are all called to carry the good news to those who sit in darkness. This gospel of the kingdom belongs to all who believe it; it shall not be committed to the custody of mere priests. Soon will the Spirit of Truth come upon you, and he shall lead you into all truth. Go you, therefore, into all the world preaching this gospel, and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the ages.”

I think this is a timeless statement.

I take it personally – what about you?

IMHO this is what tends to frighten people about the Gospel of Jesus.

Why do you think so many religious institutions missed such a beautiful Gospel?

Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant

(2044.4)191:6.3 “As the Father sent me into this world, even so now send I you. You are all called to carry the good news to those who sit in darkness. This gospel of the kingdom belongs to all who believe it; it shall not be committed to the custody of mere priests. Soon will the Spirit of Truth come upon you, and he shall lead you into all truth. Go you, therefore, into all the world preaching this gospel, and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the ages.”

I think this is a timeless statement. I take it personally – what about you?

Working on it.

IMHO this is what tends to frighten people about the Gospel of Jesus. Why do you think so many religious institutions missed such a beautiful Gospel?

Overshadowed and overwhelmed by mediocrity and complacency? What’s your take?

Richard E Warren

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

Login to reply to this topic.

Not registered? Sign up here.