Is Beauty Really Necessary? What Is Beauty? Who Says What Is Beautiful?

Home Forums Urantia Book General Discussions Is Beauty Really Necessary? What Is Beauty? Who Says What Is Beautiful?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 100 total)
  • Author
    Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant

Is there enough beauty on the planet, in our homes, in our lives?

.This 59 minute video goes to the very heart of the philosophically quintessential question: Is Beauty required? And there is much else on this little discussed topic that will enthrall and inspire lovers of beauty everywhere.

Philosophy professor Scruton begins this marvelously insightful (BBC) presentation with a short bit on what constitutes ugliness, how prevalent it is, then goes on to reveal beauty extant (there is much beauty both natural and man made on Urantia now) and the tremendous potential for creating more beauty, as well as the incalculable intangible benefits that beauty accrues, simultaneously providing connection to spirit.

.Why Beauty Matters by Roger Scruton

.I implore, beseech, even beg, you to watch it. Prof. Scruton, tho never citing the UB, seemed to me to be in perfect synchronicity with the truth, beauty, and goodness in our new revelation. If he said one misleading word, I missed it. And he doesn’t stop with Beauty, he also takes his hearers to the Truth of God.

Richard E Warren

Keryn
    Participant

Rick,

Thank you for posting this.  I agree it is well worth the time spent watching.  I loved the point he makes about children and the idea that their artwork is their way of seeking affirmation for the way they see the world – ideally rather than realistically.  His point about modern architecture being devoid of beauty is interesting and it makes me wonder how much more awed we Urantians will be when we first visit a truly beautifully designed architectural world.

He says in the video that our experience of beauty occurs best when we cast our interests to one side.  Observe the beauty without needing to use it or explain it.  Just look at it and experience the delight that occurs when your thoughts go beyond your own self and your own needs.  Religion and beauty are two doors, between which we make our home – a lovely sentiment!

“Beauty calls us to the Divine.”  I couldn’t agree more.

Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant

Rick, Thank you for posting this. I agree it is well worth the time spent watching. I loved the point he makes about children and the idea that their artwork is their way of seeking affirmation for the way they see the world – ideally rather than realistically. His point about modern architecture being devoid of beauty is interesting and it makes me wonder how much more awed we Urantians will be when we first visit a truly beautifully designed architectural world. He says in the video that our experience of beauty occurs best when we cast our interests to one side. Observe the beauty without needing to use it or explain it. Just look at it and experience the delight that occurs when your thoughts go beyond your own self and your own needs. Religion and beauty are two doors, between which we make our home – a lovely sentiment! “Beauty calls us to the Divine.” I couldn’t agree more.

Thank you for the spot on comments, Keryn. His ideas about rethinking architecture struck me as well. Beautiful cities and homes may cost a bit more, take more planning and coordination, but the multiple positive effects on the populace make doing so a bargain. I lived in such a city, 40 years ago, where master gardener Luther Burbank had an influence, Santa Rosa California. One was compelled to walk or bike, or just get out and smell the flowers, eat the fruit hanging from trees and shrubs in the many parks.

Richard E Warren

Gene
    Participant

Beauty is synonymous with intellect, meaning, mind, ideas,   –  maybe synomous isn’t the best word.

maybe another one of those things we don’t necessarily create – but we precieve, interpret and make decisions how to express it???

personality at work again ???

cant get the video, blame it on dialup

Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant

Beauty is synonymous with intellect, meaning, mind, ideas, – maybe synonymous isn’t the best word. maybe another one of those things we don’t necessarily create – but we precieve, interpret and make decisions how to express it??? personality at work again ??? cant get the video, blame it on dialup

Too bad you can’t view it, Gene. Yes, no doubt personality is involved in the perception and appreciation of beauty. Without personality,  Truth, Beauty or Goodness would have little if any value. Without persons, the universe is sterile, faceless and pointless, no?

I was taken aback by this unsuspected definition of beauty from the authors. The ultimate definition is associated with, get this: Cosmology!

…Philosophy you somewhat grasp, and divinity you comprehend in worship, social service, and personal spiritual experience, but the pursuit of beauty–cosmology–you all too often limit to the study of man’s crude artistic endeavors…. (646:4) 56:10.3

…Throughout this glorious age the chief pursuit of the ever-advancing mortals is the quest for a better understanding and a fuller realization of the comprehensible elements of Deity–truth, beauty, and goodness. This represents man’s effort to discern God in mind, matter, and spirit. And as the mortal pursues this quest, he finds himself increasingly absorbed in the experiential study of philosophy, cosmology, and divinity…. (646:3) 56:10.2

The cosmic definition is considerably different from the terrestrial:

The science of the origin and development of the universe. Modern astronomy is dominated by the Big Bang theory, which brings together observational astronomy and particle physics.

Richard E Warren

Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant

…Philosophy you somewhat grasp, and divinity you comprehend in worship, social service, and personal spiritual experience, but the pursuit of beauty–cosmology–you all too often limit to the study of man’s crude artistic endeavors…. (646:4) 56:10.3

…Throughout this glorious age the chief pursuit of the ever-advancing mortals is the quest for a better understanding and a fuller realization of the comprehensible elements of Deity–truth, beauty, and goodness. This represents man’s effort to discern God in mind, matter, and spirit. And as the mortal pursues this quest, he finds himself increasingly absorbed in the experiential study of philosophy, cosmology, and divinity…. (646:3) 56:10.2

Now that I re-read those two quotes, it’s clear the author is defining cosmology as the PURSUIT of beauty, rather than Beauty itself (thank you Bonita editor in my head). Still that definition adds much to the definition evolved philosophy has assigned cosmology, eh?

The science of the origin and development of the universe. Modern astronomy is dominated by the Big Bang theory, which brings together observational astronomy and particle physics.

Richard E Warren

George Park
    Participant

I was taken aback by this unsuspected definition of beauty from the authors. The ultimate definition is associated with, get this: Cosmology!

While there are many beautiful pictures of celestial objects, modern cosmology is profoundly repulsive. There is no beauty in a chaotic materialistic universe which originates with a Big Bang. “Hence materialism, atheism, is the maximation of ugliness, the climax of the finite antithesis of the beautiful.” (56:10.4) This reference to cosmology makes no sense, unless we interpret this to mean the cosmology revealed in the Book.

For those who have not heard about or viewed Gary Tonge’s 5-minute “Journey Through the Universe,” I highly recommend it. (a search on the title will direct you to Youtube) It gives a breathtakingly beautiful overview of the revealed universe. It is truly a work of art which unifies “the vastness of the cosmic extremes of Creator and creature.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant
    Rick Warren wrote:  (thank you Bonita editor in my head)

Rick, you crack me up!  I wish I had an editor in my head.  Wanna volunteer?

So anyway, I’ve only watched half of the documentary so far because I’m kinda busy right now.  But before watching it, I looked up TUB’s definition of beauty which is simply the discovery and integration of reality, the intellectual recognition of the harmonious unity of the cosmos as a reflection of the Isle of Paradise.  We’re also informed that the Spirit of Truth is the Spirit of idealistic beauty.  Since the Spirit of Truth is all about relations, relations between personalities and things, it seems that he is the best harmonizer of reality we have going for us. Does the world know about him?  I think not.

That being said, there were a few things that Roger Scruton said that peaked my interest.  He claims that greed and self-gratification have become civilization’s goals rather than the value of beauty.  Here he is talking about the lack of inner beauty, I would think, as the cause of our derailment.  Since all values have their source in the inner life, I have to agree that an ugly mind will only create ugliness.

Roger did, in fact, say that art reflects modern culture and has become a “cult of ugliness”.  We also know that the ideals which drive culture have their origins in the inner life as well.  We’re told in TUB that we are in a dangerous place right now, as we transition from one level of culture to another, and that religion is supposed to provide stabilization (99:1.3) However, there has been a tidal wave of revolt against religion, and that same mindset has also fostered a revolt against beauty and art, against the historic standards of culture.  And we should not be amazed at that, since most of our religions have dominated culture for eons.

This “cult of ugliness” is a form of rebellion.  Getting rid of art and beauty translates into getting rid of “the Church”, since it is the moral values established by religion that have been blamed for stifling imagination and creativity.  I more or less disagree with this movement.  I agree that it exists, but I disagree with the claim that “church” morals are stifling, but that is another conversation altogether.

Another point that Roger made is that modern culture has emphasized utilitarianism as a value in place of beauty.  Besides a cult of ugliness, we also have a cult of utility.  Utilitarianism is cold, factual and lifeless.  It’s no wonder that it decays and crumbles.  When did beauty become useless?  I think one of the things we can do as leaders of the search for truth is to expose the usefulness of beauty.  In a world where the inner life is defined as what you eat and how you feel, it’s no wonder that only physical things and their usefulness matter.

Okay, I’ve said enough.  But one last thing . . . I absolutely loved what Roger said about beauty giving us a glimpse of the transcendental.  He stated: lust is taking while love is giving; lust is ugly while love is beauty.  I think lust as a feast for the senses is what most folks think art and beauty is.  But love . . . now that is a feast for the soul, the true inner life.

Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant

While there are many beautiful pictures of celestial objects, modern cosmology is profoundly repulsive. There is no beauty in a chaotic materialistic universe which originates with a Big Bang. “Hence materialism, atheism, is the maximation of ugliness, the climax of the finite antithesis of the beautiful.” (56:10.4) This reference to cosmology makes no sense, unless we interpret this to mean the cosmology revealed in the Book. For those who have not heard about or viewed Gary Tonge’s 5-minute “Journey Through the Universe,” I highly recommend it. (a search on the title will direct you to Youtube) It gives a breathtakingly beautiful overview of the revealed universe. It is truly a work of art which unifies “the vastness of the cosmic extremes of Creator and creature.

Thanks Gene. We agree about Tonge’s video:

Journey Thru the Universe

Richard E Warren

Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant
    Rick Warren wrote: (thank you Bonita editor in my head)

Rick, you crack me up! I wish I had an editor in my head. Wanna volunteer?

So anyway, I’ve only watched half of the documentary so far because I’m kinda busy right now. But before watching it, I looked up TUB’s definition of beauty which is simply the discovery and integration of reality, the intellectual recognition of the harmonious unity of the cosmos as a reflection of the Isle of Paradise. We’re also informed that the Spirit of Truth is the Spirit of idealistic beauty. Since the Spirit of Truth is all about relations, relations between personalities and things, it seems that he is the best harmonizer of reality we have going for us. Does the world know about him? I think not.

That being said, there were a few things that Roger Scruton said that peaked my interest. He claims that greed and self-gratification have become civilization’s goals rather than the value of beauty. Here he is talking about the lack of inner beauty, I would think, as the cause of our derailment. Since all values have their source in the inner life, I have to agree that an ugly mind will only create ugliness.

Roger did, in fact, say that art reflects modern culture and has become a “cult of ugliness”. We also know that the ideals which drive culture have their origins in the inner life as well. We’re told in TUB that we are in a dangerous place right now, as we transition from one level of culture to another, and that religion is supposed to provide stabilization (99:1.3) However, there has been a tidal wave of revolt against religion, and that same mindset has also fostered a revolt against beauty and art, against the historic standards of culture. And we should not be amazed at that, since most of our religions have dominated culture for eons.

This “cult of ugliness” is a form of rebellion. Getting rid of art and beauty translates into getting rid of “the Church”, since it is the moral values established by religion that have been blamed for stifling imagination and creativity. I more or less disagree with this movement. I agree that it exists, but I disagree with the claim that “church” morals are stifling, but that is another conversation altogether.

Another point that Roger made is that modern culture has emphasized utilitarianism as a value in place of beauty. Besides a cult of ugliness, we also have a cult of utility. Utilitarianism is cold, factual and lifeless. It’s no wonder that it decays and crumbles. When did beauty become useless? I think one of the things we can do as leaders of the search for truth is to expose the usefulness of beauty. In a world where the inner life is defined as what you eat and how you feel, it’s no wonder that only physical things and their usefulness matter.

Okay, I’ve said enough. But one last thing . . . I absolutely loved what Roger said about beauty giving us a glimpse of the transcendental. He stated: lust is taking while love is giving; lust is ugly while love is beauty. I think lust as a feast for the senses is what most folks think art and beauty is. But love . . . now that is a feast for the soul, the true inner life.

Good comments all. Couldn’t agree more.

I remember being surprised the Spirit of Truth is directly involved with Beauty, but even more that it is associated with philosophy!

…Spiritual philosophy, the wisdom of spirit realities, is the endowment of the Spirit of Truth…. (1108.1) 101:3.2

Richard E Warren

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

I remember being surprised the Spirit of Truth is directly involved with Beauty, but even more that it is associated with philosophy!

The Spirit of Truth is not an “it”.  You can’t fellowship with an “it”.

194:2.4 Do not make the mistake of expecting to become strongly intellectually conscious of the outpoured Spirit of Truth. The spirit never creates a consciousness of himself, only a consciousness of Michael, the Son. From the beginning Jesus taught that the spirit would not speak of himself. The proof, therefore, of your fellowship with the Spirit of Truth is not to be found in your consciousness of this spirit but rather in your experience of enhanced fellowship with Michael.

Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant

The Spirit of Truth is not an “it”. You can’t fellowship with an “it”.

Well, ok, HE SoT! ;-)

Richard E Warren

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

Well, ok, HE SoT!

Oh jeez Rick, I hope that’s not sarcastic.  Somehow, I don’t think you’re really capable of being sarcastic.

Anyway, it’s important to think of the Spirit of Truth as a person.  If you think of him as an “it”, then you’re left with the cult of ugliness, the cult of utility.  Its are things.  Isolated things are not pretty.

If beauty is the integration of reality and philosophy is the quest for integration of reality, then it makes sense that the Spirit of Truth would be the best guide.  Michael, our revelation of the Supreme, is the Master of integration, coordination and relatedness of all reality.  I don’t know, but I think the world should be introduced to the Spirit of Truth, don’t you? When you fellowship with Michael, aren’t you fellowshipping with living truth?  And when you find truth, you also find beauty, or so I think. Don’t have time to get the quotes.  On the run.

Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant

Well, ok, HE SoT!

Oh jeez Rick, I hope that’s not sarcastic. Somehow, I don’t think you’re really capable of being sarcastic.

~ Thanks. No, just a lame attempt at humor. Evidently the winky emoticon isn’t working as intended :-(

Anyway, it’s important to think of the Spirit of Truth as a person. If you think of him as an “it”, then you’re left with the cult of ugliness, the cult of utility. Its are things. Isolated things are not pretty. If beauty is the integration of reality and philosophy is the quest for integration of reality, then it makes sense that the Spirit of Truth would be the best guide. Michael, our revelation of the Supreme, is the Master of integration, coordination and relatedness of all reality. I don’t know, but I think the world should be introduced to the Spirit of Truth, don’t you? When you fellowship with Michael, aren’t you fellowshipping with living truth?

~ You are spot on! The sooner we begin thinking, talking, and writing in terms of the reality of the three divine representatives of the Trinity living within, the better. Thanks for the reminder.  And for smoothly segueing back into beauty:

And when you find truth, you also find beauty…

Richard E Warren

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

Evidently the winky emoticon isn’t working as intended

Ooooh!  So you weren’t flirting with me then?  Shucks, I thought that was what the winky thingy was all about.  Duh!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 100 total)

Login to reply to this topic.

Not registered? Sign up here.